HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
You don't think the huge numbers of people that were born and raised here that are leaving Chicago for very obvious reasons related to crime and poverty has any relevance in this thread? I mean do you really think that this trend should just be ignored when people are asking "is the trend of Millenials moving to the city ending" and that it's not relevant to point out how many Millenials who started off in the city are leaving?

Oh and by the way, despite whatever negatives come with the dissolution of some of these communities, the dissolution of concentrated segregation and poverty is, in fact, something to be quite gleeful about. I don't understand why anyone is like "YES! I love that there are huge ghettos where impoverished African Americans are totally segregated from society!" like you are. In what world is that a good thing? These persons are not moving because someone is chasing them with a hot iron forcing them to leave, they are leaving for greener pastures elsewhere on their own accord. And I believe they are finding them too whether it's in smaller Midwestern cities or elsewhere in the country. Des Moines, IA, with the 8th highest per capita GDP in the United States, can handle a little dilution of their lily white demographics. It is good for everyone involved for some of the South or West side to relocate there where they will have more opportunity to break the cycle of poverty and live a much more fair existence.

So you can paint it as people being "gleeful blacks are moving out" or you can admit that you have some sort of strange love for the maintenance of legacy segregation by race and income. My personal opinion is that any community that is nearly 100% segregated by race and poverty is inherently bad for everyone involved no matter what kind of "support structures" or whatnot the community has evolved to get by. We, as a society, can keep giving these communities fish (i.e. "support structures" and hot air from patronizing politicians who do nothing to actually help) and allow the status quo or entrenched poverty to continue, or we can teach them how to fish and help break the cycle. Personally I would much rather see the people on Chicago's South and West sides break out and be able to join mainstream American society with all it's opportunity. That will never happen as long as we allow the status quo to continue to perpetuity.
A) "I don't understand why anyone is like "YES! I love that there are huge ghettos where impoverished African Americans are totally segregated from society!" like you are."

no one said this

B) "It is good for everyone involved for some of the South or West side to relocate there where they will have more opportunity to break the cycle of poverty and live a much more fair existence. "

you arent actually excited about this because of any idealistic notions of people "pulling themselves up by their boostraps" because theyre leaving violent neighborhoods or being pushed to other low income areas (as if you care whats happening in Des Moines, but nice pep talk Ronald). youre excited because you have substantial real estate holdings in these areas and stand to profit mightly from the demographic shift.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions