HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 2:02 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2016 in Kunming

Kunming is one of those random destinations that typical tourists to China don't prioritze. However, I like an off-the-beaten track adventure. To be fair, it has its charms, especially being high up in elevation, which keeps it from getting too hot in the summer.

First impressions matter. Changshui International Airport opened in 2012 with a capacity to serve 38 million passengers.

Like many cities all over the country, a metro system is under construction. For now, there are 3 lines, 2 of which operate as 1 in the meantime.

The city itself isn't so densely-built although there are many projects happening in the city centre to change that.

Rents are cheap. 500 square feet can be had for 1200 yuan a month.

The Sofitel is not located near the railway station, and stands out a bit odd in an otherwise local residential neighbourhood.

Chinese cities boast lively street markets. At night, streets transform into night markets featuring all sorts of foods prepared in many different ways.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/kunming.htm

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 3:49 PM
Hong Kong

Yunnan Provincial Museum is in a huge new building in the outskirts. Entry is free but you still need to get a ticket at the information centre next door.

Bronzes are common exhibition items in Chinese museums. These relics date from the Han Dynasty around the 1st century BC - AD.

After so many bronzes, it was time to move onto porcelain.

Scroll paintings

Wartime currency became worthless after the Japanese defeat.

Local minority groups used their own language and not Chinese characters.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 4:23 PM
Hong Kong

I was surprised there were so many double-decker buses in the city. Maybe that will change once the subway lines get completed.

Street markets are always interesting, and there is a lot of cheap food available near universities.

The university itself is also quite interesting with European architecture.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 12:49 PM
Hong Kong

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:43 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Very interesting post hk........thanks.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 1:44 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Very interesting hk......thanks for posting these.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2016, 5:59 AM

Nice clean air and salubrious streets. Looks like it might be a nice place to live.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:35 PM
Hong Kong

Nestled in the hills outside the city centre, Qiongzhusi is off the tourists' radar. To get there, you need to take an expensive local minibus that looks far more luxurious than the typical urban bus.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 2:48 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Some cool architecture.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 1:12 PM
Illustrator, editor

Nice cities. Kunming has connections with some "people high schools" in Sweden.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 12:35 PM
Hong Kong

The hills in the western part of the city are accurately named "Xishan". From the city, ride a cable car across water and then uphill for great views of Kunming.

At the top of the cable car, pay the admission fee to enter the grounds, and buy another chairlift ticket to get to the key temple. The chairlift skirts along the hilltops and provides breathtaking views of Kunming.

For a different type of view, one that does not involve fighting through crowds, I headed to the Sofitel's upper floors for a quieter, more exclusive view of the city.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/kunming01.htm

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 7:18 AM

I was there way back in February 1996, and I hardly recognize this city, the speed of changes is mind-boggling!

I do recall the cable car ride up the hill side!

I also went to Chengdu and Chonguing and when I see photo's of those cities today, again, I hardly recognize them.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:18 PM
Hong Kong

Shilin Stone Forest is a popular day trip from Kunming with frequent buses departing from the eastern bus station. Getting there is relatively easy enough as the buses are geared towards tourists and it stopped right at the door. Alternatively, it is possible to join a local tour if you have a Chinese mobile number but that would also include shopping stops, albeit it also includes time at nearby caves which otherwise wouldn't be possible DIY. I would recommend DIY to allow ample time to comfortably walk around the park and enjoy the sights.

More photos on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/kunming04.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos