HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 11:00 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
but I am genuinely baffled when hearing the occasional-but-common-enough criticisms of it being bland or sterile - likewise for the compliments of cleanliness. It's like, are we even talking about the same city here?
Those are the people who came to the city and visited the area from the CN Tower through the Financial District to the Eaton Centre and think that they've seen Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 9:01 PM

Great photos, thanks for sharing them. I really, really want to visit Toronto. It seems to be a city of tremendous energy, and it's making its own mold. It appears informal and comfortable but also cosmopolitan and urban. I'm sure there's a more refined, polished side of the city not shown here, but that stuff is usually far less interesting.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Wow really beautiful, vivid, eclectic imagery! The summer vibe is so intense it just feels like I'm there. Toronto and Montreal definitely have their own related but distinct vibes in the summer. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what they have in common but I think it comes down to sharing this unusual sort of "urban/rural" aesthetic where much of the urban cityscape outside of the CBD has this super relaxed feeling similar to what you'll get in the countryside where the buildings and other built elements are kind of weathered or even slightly dilapidated and the greenery seems to grow at times randomly with bushes, trees, weeds and vines sprouting up at every opportunity. This contrasts heavily with the urban neighbourhoods of many cities in NA and Europe which are highly manicured with greenery tightly controlled.

In Chicago for instance, many residential streets have manicured gardens in the road verge (space between the sidewalk and street) and often even have low fences enclosing the gardens. All the greenery is meticulously watered and pruned whereas the greenery in Toronto and Montreal often seems to be opportunistic plants fending for themselves. The result is that in Toronto and Montreal the landscapes seem natural and timeless as if the human environment is simply part of the existing landscape - a naturally occurring ecology that just happens to be dominated by one animal - whereas the more typical urban cityscapes seem as if they're totally separate things. The cultivated cityscapes can almost seem like the outdoors is an open-air building.

In terms of which is better, for my tastes Toronto sometimes takes things a bit far with the uncultivated vibe, at times verging on the abandoned/returning to nature aesthetic, while some cities take the up-tight cultivation a bit far verging on artificiality or sterility. I think Montreal tends to have a good balance.

Anyway, thanks for the amazing experience!
Well said. I'm definitely catching the Montreal vibes from this thread.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Well said. I'm definitely catching the Montreal vibes from this thread.
Me too. Thanks...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 12:59 AM
菠蘿油

This is fantastic. There are too many good scenes in here. Toronto is so shabby but in the best way possible.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 9:43 PM

This is excellent stuff. Thank you.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:49 PM

not bland at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Yeah, I certainly can't fault anybody for thinking Toronto is unattractive (though it does have some pretty parts); but I am genuinely baffled when hearing the occasional-but-common-enough criticisms of it being bland or sterile - likewise for the compliments of cleanliness. It's like, are we even talking about the same city here?
it's definitely not bland. I think people just get bored with their little part of the city. i come from a very small town and love it here!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 11:25 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Toronto is not a pretty city, but it has some character at least. Nice shots.
Toronto has grit, which is great in my book.

Great photos. I haven’t seen the city in this way before. I am more interested to visit now ( after COVID of course).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
This is fantastic. There are too many good scenes in here. Toronto is so shabby but in the best way possible.
Shabby is probably the best adjective to describe Toronto in my opinion. The city has always been so and cobbled together. I never get how some people would ever call it sterile.
As others have mentioned, this thread has really nailed what Toronto is like

Last edited by Nite; Sep 10, 2020 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:42 AM
Paradise Island

This is a great set of photos. I've never been to Toronto but it looks like a compelling city.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 5:03 PM

Awesome set..Kudos!..Yup you certainly captured Toronto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
This is a great set of photos. I've never been to Toronto but it looks like a compelling city.
Yes..It's a great city to visit. Toronto is very much a cosmopolitan global city.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 5:42 PM

Really fabulous pics Monkey... it's sort of ironic that "Graffiti Alley" is such a popular destination given the entire downtown is tagged.

Apologies for hacking your thread, but on the topic of tagging, a local photographer named kotsy (you likely know him) tags his photos in a game of "where's waldo" with the viewer. This is him in the photo, along with an easily discovered tag.

kotsy

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos