HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:40 PM

The Toronto Raptors

This is the thread in which we can discuss the Toronto Raptors with impunity and without upsetting other posters' sensibilities because of the Toronto-centric nature of the subject. It's the polite thing to do.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:44 PM

11 could turn into 13 given the schedule.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:47 PM
Round Head

Great shot at taking the East this year!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 7:20 PM

Some forumers may find the title offensive, putting Toronto (aka the T word) there in a less than subtile manner. These same persons will argue that the Great Canadian NBA thread would have been more appropriate, despite TO being the only Canadian city in the league.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 7:58 PM

I guess when baseball season starts we'll need to ensure the baseball thread is defined as "MLB" or "Toronto Blue Jays", since "Baseball in Canada" will piss off the anti-American and anti-Toronto haters.

Good thing the hockey thread is labelled "NHL" or we'd have to create a separate thread since the NHL is essentially American.

In any case, the Raptors doing well, the upcoming All-Star game in Toronto and Drake being some sort of ambassador for the team is really helping grow the game in Canada. This is pretty good timing. I often notice that when celebrities are in town filming, they'll drop by a Raptors game. It seems to be the "in" thing.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:01 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Some forumers may find the title offensive, putting Toronto (aka the T word) there in a less than subtile manner. These same persons will argue that the Great Canadian NBA thread would have been more appropriate, despite TO being the only Canadian city in the league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I guess when baseball season starts we'll need to ensure the baseball thread is defined as "MLB" or "Toronto Blue Jays", since "Baseball in Canada" will piss off the anti-American and anti-Toronto haters.

Good thing the hockey thread is labelled "NHL" or we'd have to create a separate thread since the NHL is essentially American.

-----

Hopefully the Raptors can make a good post-season push this year. It's been far too long.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:14 PM

^ I was being sarcastic... I have more faith in the forumers than that

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Great shot at taking the East this year!
I doubt we catch up to the Cavs. The number one goal this year to me is still to make it to the second round. The fact that they're performing above what anyone expected is great, but I'm not gonna go out and say they're a lock to make it to the EC Finals. Gotta make it out of the first round first, which we've been unable to do thus far. So that is still the number one goal in my eyes.

That said, Dwane Casey deserves a lot of credit. I'll be the first to admit that I've criticized him harshly, but he's really brought out the most out of this roster. His substituion patterns are markedly improved over last year (the Lowry+subs lineup he uses to end the first quarter is an absolute killer).

A lot of things have gone right for us this year with 4/5 of our starters having career years as well as Joseph and (judging based on recent performance) Ross. An optimistic view would be to expect all 7 of them to continue playing at this level next year, but a more realistic approach would be to plan for at least a few of them regressing next year.

Although we desperately need a starting 4, we may have a really good shot to nab Jamal Murray in the draft (both Denver and New York look like they're going to end up in the mid-to-late lottery which is where Murray is currently projected). If we have the opportunity to draft him I say we do it and thn leverage Ross's career year to get a power forward.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 1:42 AM

Still have all heir talent in the backcourt. Bigs are better than they were last year, better than earlier this year, but still very inconsistent and not reliable against top competition. They won't go deep into the playoffs unless and until that situation changes.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 1:46 AM

Love to see Montreal get a team. After the return of the Expos that is.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Love to see Montreal get a team. After the return of the Expos that is.
There was an article published last year re: the Canadiens' owners meeting NBA executives regarding an expansion or relocated franchise. The NBA was not encouraging. I suppose Seattle will be first in line should any franchise be created or moved, assuming of course that they actually get their arena built.

Last edited by GernB; Feb 2, 2016 at 6:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 2:28 AM
Look at me!

There is no market for the NBA here. Sure, you can pack it with with a bunch of kids suburban teens and pre-teens during the odd gimmick game. But it's farfetched to even suggest it could happen here.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 3:01 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
There is no market for the NBA here. Sure, you can pack it with with a bunch of kids suburban teens and pre-teens during the odd gimmick game. But it's farfetched to even suggest it could happen here.
That's not what most articles seem to be saying. They indicate that basketball is booming in Montreal despite never having a pro team. It was a big enough trend that the NBA has taken notice. Not only is the sport popular with Montreal youth but the city is producing basketball talent in significant numbers now.

Montreal (and Quebec) will inevitably mirror the rest of Canada when it comes to basketball culture and it's place in the sporting pecking order.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
How do you think the Raptors started? And now they are one of the most profitable and successful sports franchises.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto