HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 1:45 PM

Weren't we JUST talking about this?

Sacramento performing arts center could be next big-ticket item for city

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/04/28/635...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 5:28 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
It was built in a blocky concrete style popular in the 1970s called brutalism, and it hasn’t improved with age, they say. The theater has poor acoustics, too few toilets, and needs major upgrades to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/04/28/635...#storylink=cpy
LOLLLL... Who has been reading this board? These plans will not go well with the brutilists.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
LOLLLL... Who has been reading this board? These plans will not go well with the brutilists.
While Brutalist isn't my cup of tea. This theater is probably a 1 on a scale of 1-10 of interesting examples of that style. It's prison level bad.

Count me as a supporter of this building meeting the wrecking ball.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 7:24 PM

Changes to L Street that I would like to see:

1. Macy's store to renovate the damn exterior. Can't have that piece of crap stand next to our state-of-the-art arena.

2. Community Center has to be rebuild, not renovate. The thing is too small, acoustics are bad, does not meet ADA requirements. Fugly exterior.

3. See a strong proposal in the old Greyhound depot. Possibly a mixed used high rise with ground floor retail.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Changes to L Street that I would like to see:

1. Macy's store to renovate the damn exterior. Can't have that piece of crap stand next to our state-of-the-art arena.

2. Community Center has to be rebuild, not renovate. The thing is too small, acoustics are bad, does not meet ADA requirements. Fugly exterior.

3. See a strong proposal in the old Greyhound depot. Possibly a mixed used high rise with ground floor retail.
Re: #3

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 2:42 PM
Hindrance to Development

A friend pointed this article out to me yesterday:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament....html?page=all

Quote:
Ultimately the railyard will have 500 to 1,000 residential units and 4.5 million square feet of commercial space.
The Railyards under previous plans was estimated as about 10-12,000 residential units, in other articles Kelley was quoted as saying it would have perhaps 5000 units. Is this just a mix-up by the article author, or has the estimate been lowered even farther? 500-1000 residential units on 240 acres is less than 5 units an acre--practically a ghost town!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
A friend pointed this article out to me yesterday:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament....html?page=all

The Railyards under previous plans was estimated as about 10-12,000 residential units, in other articles Kelley was quoted as saying it would have perhaps 5000 units. Is this just a mix-up by the article author, or has the estimate been lowered even farther? 500-1000 residential units on 240 acres is less than 5 units an acre--practically a ghost town!
That HAS to be a typo!!! Someone needs to forward that article to KJ and see what the HELL is going on!!!

Edit: I did email the journalist who wrote the article. We'll see if he gets back to me.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 3:15 PM

Another note about the article...two contrasting pieces that are quite confusing to me. The developer talks of learning things from the Stanford Ranch and McClellan? I don't understand what kinds of things he can learn from those developments that will apply to the Railyards. They are such different projects in VASTLY different areas!

On the other hand, he did say that there would be multiple 10-story apartment buildings. That could mean that the 500-1,000 figure WAS a typo.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 3:45 PM

Confirmed...the numbers were wrong and will be corrected. It should be 5,000-10,000!

Edit: "FWIW, Kelley HAS said he doesn’t expect there to be as many housing units as called for in the plan, but that’s probably going to be market driven anyhow." (from the reporter who wrote the article)

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
Confirmed...the numbers were wrong and will be corrected. It should be 5,000-10,000!
Awesome due diligence! That 500-1000 figure scared me a bit.

Last edited by UnclearColt; Mar 25, 2015 at 4:47 PM. Reason: forgot quote

Old Posted Jul 1, 2015, 4:43 AM
Here we stAy

Cross post to the dedicated thread:

Link below for those interested in commenting on the NOP, or just to read the scope of the revision.

http://portal.cityofsacramento.org/~...e%20062615.pdf

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 5:08 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...ousing-in.html

Damn, only 6,000 units is what we end up with?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 5:13 PM

More confirmation on the reduction of housing units. Now down to 5,000-6,000 total.

Developers seek more commercial, less housing in railyard project

Jul 23, 2015, 6:23am PDT
Ben van der Meer
Staff Writer
Sacramento Business Journal

Developers for the railyard project north of downtown Sacramento have submitted plan changes to the city adding commercial space and subtracting residential units.

The revisions would reduce the number of residential units by about 6,100 or 6.1 million square feet, and add 1.009 million square feet of non-residential space. The application also calls for permits for plans for two specific projects within the railyard: A proposed soccer stadium near the site’s northeast corner, and a new Kaiser Permanente medical facility in the northwest corner...

...Larry and Denton Kelley have said they expect formal development of the railyard is likely to get underway as soon as next year.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post

Yes really stupid. The market is hot right now, why are they trying to cram in more commercial? KJ is going to have a lot to answer for by the end of this term.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post

Yes...but, that's probably close to 12,000 new residents downtown. That's still amazing!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 6:34 PM

True, I like your optimism!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 12:51 AM
Hindrance to Development

Part of the change in approach is due to Kaiser, which takes up a big chunk of real estate, and the MLS stadium--the two combined probably come close to a million square feet all told. The other reason is a desire to get moving more quickly: the economics for mid-rise buildings are there, but not for Type 1 residential high-rise. They could let the lots sit vacant until the economics are right, which might not be for decades, or they could start building mid-rise residential now. I'm disappointed in the drop in residential units, but would be more disappointed to see the site sit vacant (and the Shops buildings unrestored) for another 20 years because they're trying to time the market for high-rise residential, the way we've seen downtown blocks sit and decay in the hands of speculators for decades already.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 1:59 AM

Put Kaiser in Natomas leave the stadium at Cal Expo. Only Sacramento would screw this up.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deno View Post
Put Kaiser in Natomas leave the stadium at Cal Expo. Only Sacramento would screw this up.
Kaiser can choose where they want to build their facilities and they have. I don't think that "Sacramento" screwed anything up there.

As for the soccer stadium, it's being privately built. So again they can put it where they want.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
Kaiser can choose where they want to build their facilities and they have. I don't think that "Sacramento" screwed anything up there.

As for the soccer stadium, it's being privately built. So again they can put it where they want.
I agree wholeheartedly! In addition, do you think that Sutter can handle the additional 12,000+ people in the central city on their own? I think the hospital is a great addition and will probably attract the kind of residents they want who want to live close to where they work in the Railyards (doctors, nurses, etc). Why not have all the action downtown instead of up in Natomas. I'm sure they'll get some kind of hospital. But, this is downtown's time...not Natomas'!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area