HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlFan View Post
Brand new Viewpoint on the Midtown Mile Video online now:
http://www.viewpointmidtownmile.com/
What happened to the CVS and Gordon Biersch?
Are the shops in the video will become a reality when Viewpoint completes its construction? I would like to try out the H&M store.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 9:26 PM
Reliable Source

I hate to be a realist, but we're going to be looking at even more empty retail space.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
I hate to be a realist, but we're going to be looking at even more empty retail space.
You live in the 'burbs, don't you?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt that.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:43 PM
Reliable Source

Prove me wrong.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I have been saying the same thing at my Atlanta forum. There is too much going up I believe (condos, retail, and office development).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:20 PM

There may be but the city of Atlanta, (intown) is exploding with new people. They need places to live, shop, eat and work. Now I know there are plenty of oppurtunity areas in intown Atlanta but right now anywhere in the 2-3 mile circle around Midtown, including all the surrounding neighborhoods are booming.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Prove me wrong.
Just look at Spire and Plaza Midtown. Spire has two spaces open. One they've obviously kept held for their sales center, the other is from Tasty D Lite which closed down several locations, afaik. Plaza Midtown has one open space. It will be probably an extra 6-9 months after Viewpoint I is completed before retail will surface, but I think the two aforementioned project show that there is a healthy desire for more retail space. Don't forget 905 Juniper which is leased out 100% or Metropolis which has another store front lining up the second one closes down.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:50 PM
Reliable Source

Hope you're right.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Just look at Spire and Plaza Midtown. Spire has two spaces open. One they've obviously kept held for their sales center, the other is from Tasty D Lite which closed down several locations, afaik. Plaza Midtown has one open space. It will be probably an extra 6-9 months after Viewpoint I is completed before retail will surface, but I think the two aforementioned project show that there is a healthy desire for more retail space. Don't forget 905 Juniper which is leased out 100% or Metropolis which has another store front lining up the second one closes down.
And don't forget Tech Square...to say that retail isn't performing in central midtown is just incorrect.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 3:07 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Sorry to say this but Tech Square is working because it marketed to students. Maybe if some of the retail elsewhere around the area didn't try so hard to be upscale, it would do better. There are too many trendy furniture stores to count and nothing along Peachtree but eats, the CVS, and that art store that I ever see myself using.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy View Post
... the city of Atlanta, (intown) is exploding with new people. They need places to live, shop, eat and work. Now I know there are plenty of oppurtunity areas in intown Atlanta but right now anywhere in the 2-3 mile circle around Midtown, including all the surrounding neighborhoods are booming.
Why can't they just take the connector out to the suburbs?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:00 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Why can't they just take the connector out to the suburbs?
Here we go again...

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
Sorry to say this but Tech Square is working because it marketed to students. Maybe if some of the retail elsewhere around the area didn't try so hard to be upscale, it would do better. There are too many trendy furniture stores to count and nothing along Peachtree but eats, the CVS, and that art store that I ever see myself using.
I think you're right about this; smart retailers have to know their target markets. Full-time residents aren't going to buy expensive new "upscale" items every day. But they will need "everyday" stores like Publix, CVS, Target, and Home Depot, and plenty of inexpensive restaurants. There is a lot of "chicken and egg" guessing going on right now in Downtown and Midtown, as retail supply and demand are still feeling each other out. I believe this is going to take some time to evolve...

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By cokezero
That video isn't advertising the residences - it's advertising the retail space!

Check out http://www.viewpointmidtown.com for information on the residences.

I know that, it was obvious!!, I was just saying that it would be a cool place to live given all the retail at the bottom. I guess thanks for trying to help.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:21 PM
Urban Explorer

I like the pseudo-name brands they put on the storefronts: "Urban Apparel," "Ruma," etc...

Also, while much of the space in Tech Square is marketed to students, it would be foolish to think that all of it could survive with only business from Georgia Tech. The Globe, American Apparel, and that Lexington Chocolatier (which I've never seen anyone go in) can attest to that. The restaurants also all stay open during the summer....so I'd say there is significant demand for them outside of their proximity to the school.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Prove me wrong.
So long as condos are filled, retail space won't be empty. Believe me builders had numbers worked out by experts

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
I like the pseudo-name brands they put on the storefronts: "Urban Apparel," "Ruma," etc...
Yeah, me too. I noticed the names are made to sound like the national retailers with fonts to match like Sur la Cuisine for Sur la Table, for example. Wondered if it was an indication of who they were negotiating with or, perhaps more likely, who they’d like to be negotiating with.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Would anyone ever this same claim about a fast growing suburban community?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
Tech Square retail is working because it's a destination with a large anchor flanked with smaller shops, just like Viewpoint and 12th & Midtown will be. It has the right mix of hotel, condo, office, and educational space to give it perpetual activity so it's not solely dependent on one set of people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta