HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Well done for recognizing Tourmaline's picture, Hoffman. HDL has another, even better picture of the house on Hope Street.

Huntington Digital Library

The picture is dated 7/23/61. The caption says "Last old house on Hope Street wrecked the next day." Is that an incinerator in the back yard?

Detail of picture above.
The treatment of the sanitary sewer connections coming through the walls into an exterior vent stack is somewhat interesting and implies the house may have been built prior to there being any sanitary sewer lines in the area before the house was built. And is that a hitching post or is it possbly an old water well?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 2:32 AM

I could be wrong R_I_T, but I'm pretty sure that's an incinerator and not a hitching post since it's in the backyard.

below: I found this a couple days ago on ebay.

Windward Avenue from a different perspective, 1910.

ebay

detail #1. -Squint and this could be the Doge's Palace.

detail #2

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 8, 2014 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 3:16 AM

I'm guessing this impressive glass plate was taken on a Sunday morning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C-1910-LOS-A...item58b0b3b6f9

The seller lists the date as 1910.
__

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 3:51 AM

Aerial view of Venice. (the seller lists the date as 1928....I would have guessed much earlier)

ebay

Initially I thought the 'slash' at center-right was a breakwater, but on closer inspection I realized it's a stylized beam of light
emanating from a tower (see below).

MEGA-SCAN..for further inspection.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 8, 2014 at 4:03 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post
The treatment of the sanitary sewer connections coming through the walls into an exterior vent stack is somewhat interesting and implies the house may have been built prior to there being any sanitary sewer lines in the area before the house was built. And is that a hitching post or is it possbly an old water well?
Funnily enough- from the one b/w image LAPL held back 10 years ago-Carolyn Kozo Cole-then the photo dept curator and myself thought the shape was a mystery woman in a white dress- for a little while-- If it helps- this was the Basserman family home originally.. The spinster Larronde sisters - infuriated at what the city offered them - surely way less than their pristine home was worth - had it razed on their own in spite- on their own terms..emotionaly.So sad.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 4:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_in_Texas View Post

That thing is a gawd-awful backyard incinerator. ER is correct.!

See it here:
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/6...cinerators.jpg

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
This was when car shows were really exciting. Today, they're a bore. My father took me to the Pan Pacific Motorama 1956...it was dazzling. You could see a vision of the near future. Sadly, that future didn't pan out the way we thought it would.

LATimes

Wondering about the imposing structure that resembles a water tower, or guard/observation tower. I am guessing it was an attempt to disguise a score board. Or maybe it was the floating garage of the future.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00105/00105783.jpg

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00105/00105781.jpg

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00105/00105819.jpg

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00105/00105775.jpg

1939 - Streamlining perfection (per original caption).
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00105/00105798.jpg

1935 - Rug owner rethinks placement? It will wash out.
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00105/00105796.jpg

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00105/00105795.jpg

http://jpg1.lapl.org/00105/00105793.jpg

Last edited by Tourmaline; Jun 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 6:40 PM

The people are so well dressed, even as late as 1954-all the men in coats and ties and the women wearing skirts, dresses, hats, and heels. I kind of miss those days.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 8:15 PM

While researching something unrelated, I came across this rendering of what was apparently a new hospital soon to be built in LA... I thought the architecture was a bit retro for 1922. Then I thought the drawing must be of Angelus Hospital, actually built about 20 years before, but that building is of a different design, as seen in various pictures below. (Does anyone recognize the drawing above as a building that might have been elsewhere in the city?) Anyway, I haven't found out what the 1922 building might have looked like. But then it may have never been built at all...seems there was some malfeasance on the part of the venture's president....

USCDL

LAPL

Articles: LAT

Have to say, I'm one who's very glad then was then. As for the future that "didn't pan out the way we thought it would"... hasn't it? Aren't we living in the age of Dick Tracy wrist radios, men on the moon, futuristic medicine, fantastic variations in ways of life and opportunities? Love my automotive relics and living in an old building in an old city, love researching the past, but live in it? Not even if there was time travel.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 8:23 PM

Mary Louise at WestLake Park?

ebay

Earlier we discussed the Mary Louise Tea Room on the 12th floor of the Brack Shops downtown.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20351

The postcard led me to this photograph. -It appears Mary Louise had a second location.

lapl

So the photograph (below) that we decided was taken on the 12th floor of the Brack Shops might have actually been taken
at this West Lake location.

Go here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20347
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 8:31 PM

Have we seen this three-tiered fountain before?

Cyanotype: Westlake Park 1890s

ebay

I'm not sure what this rock formation is. (I've seen similar shapes in other parks) A drinking fountain perhaps?

detail
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 8, 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 8:35 PM

Two more cyanotypes showing WestLake Park in the 1890s.

I didn't realize Westlake had a sunken lawn area.

ebay

at leisure. -appears the lady may be an artist. (does anyone know what building that is behind the palms?)

ebay

detail. -notice the extremely tall tower.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 8, 2014 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 9:24 PM

Photograph of unknown actress by Hoover Art Co. Los Angeles.

ebay

-embossed stamp is at lower right.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 8, 2014 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 10:25 PM

A night time view of Paul Verlengia's lesser known restaurant, The Four Trees. (opened in 1960)

7800 Sunset Boulevard
ebay

-daytime view here:
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=18730

The more famous of Paul Verlengia's dining establishments was The Marquis at Sunset and Roxbury.
(four blocks west of the Four Trees)

George Mann https://www.flickr.com/photos/richardschave/7177894649/

__

George Mann detail
__

Old Posted Jun 8, 2014, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Harley Earl and Virgil Exner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Have to say, I'm one who's very glad then was then. As for the future that "didn't pan out the way we thought it would"... hasn't it? Aren't we living in the age of Dick Tracy wrist radios, men on the moon, futuristic medicine, fantastic variations in ways of life and opportunities? Love my automotive relics and living in an old building in an old city, love researching the past, but live in it? Not even if there was time travel.
Harley Earl and Virgil Exner

My post was about Automobile shows and the emphasis on design in those days.

Today the design of a car is nonexistent. We're all driving around in monotonous, dull motorized jelly beans.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 12:23 AM

Sounds like you need a new car, CBD. Anyway, to younger people, all cars from any given era--whether '20s-early '30s, late 30s, '40s, early '50s, late '50s, mid '60s-- like today's cars, they're all just variations on a theme, not particularly distinguishable one make from another. And today's are of course much safer and better made. Now back to NLA...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 1:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Sounds like you need a new car, CBD. Anyway, to younger people, all cars from any given era--whether '20s-early '30s, late 30s, '40s, early '50s, late '50s, mid '60s-- like today's cars, they're all just variations on a theme, not particularly distinguishable one make from another. And today's are of course much safer and better made. Now back to NLA...
I have a new car, GW.
Cars in the 1950s were very distinguishable, one from another. You're a young man and are not that aware of the 1950s era, as I am. Yes, cars are better made but much more expensive when compared to the 1950s models....even beyond inflation values. Cars are now mostly made to last longer than in the 1950s era.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:05 AM

Gaby Loraine

ebay

and this

http://burleskateer.tumblr.com/page/2

Do we know where in Hollywood the Pom Pom Room was located? It doesn't ring a bell.
__

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:28 AM

LAT Dec 9, 1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I have a new car, GW.
Cars in the 1950s were very distinguishable, one from another. You're a young man and are not that aware of the 1950s era, as I am. Yes, cars are better made but much more expensive when compared to the 1950s models....even beyond inflation values. Cars are now mostly made to last longer than in the 1950s era.
Then perhaps you need a more exciting new car. They're out there, dazzling young and old every year, just the way cars did 60 years ago. And how old am I? Old enough to have had a '51 Mercury for 42 years, a '56 Country Squire for 25, and a '53 Merc wagon for 20. If these particular examples hadn't been preserved and/or restored, they'd most likely have been rusted and junked within five years. No one one thought much of them beyond that.

Produced at the Lincoln-Mercury plant in L.A.'s CMD factory, below, July 1953

LAPL

Its three-years-newer cousin seen at the Pan-Pacific, December 2, 1955

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 4:55 AM

Quote:

:previous

Without the intent of engaging in an argument, the post WWII years through the mid 1960s were very exciting times. Most particularly if you were in you twenties, as the future looked limitless, and it pretty much was. Today if one is in their twenties it doesn't appear the same vision of the future exists. Yes technology has brought us many things and I can say for certain that being a part of the early days of the developing new technologies and applications for those technologies in the high tech world was very exciting. However, it is a fact that virtually nothing new has come along since the mid 1970s, only miniaturization and refinement of the technology developed during the previous 25 years, along with a lot of misapplication. We have a lot of almost pointless gadgets that may well be eating us alive from the inside out.

Last edited by Retired_in_Texas; Jun 9, 2014 at 5:21 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos