HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 6:21 PM

Love the randomness and murals. You guys are getting around

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Love the randomness and murals. You guys are getting around
Thanks. Yes, this is what we often do. Pre-COVID, we often went everywhere and anywhere. From March through June, we mostly stayed home, and then we started to venture out again. We still try to avoid large crowds.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:57 AM

I was planning on taking way more pictures this weekend, but took a smaller bunch of random ones instead. I had to run errands on Saturday. Again, I took some pictures for shits and giggles.

Saturday, 8.29.2020.

I had to go to the post office. My local P.O.

Photo by me

My car was also due for an oil change, so I got that out of the way Saturday morning---my 2nd free oil change.

Waiting at the showroom at my car dealer. It was really busy. Even though I had an appointment, my oil change still took about 2 hours.

Photo by me

It seemed like a lot of people were buying cars, too.

Photo by me

Had a late dinner Saturday evening. There's a Korean restaurant I know of that has outdoor dining and is open until midnight every Monday through Saturday (closes at 10pm on Sundays). That's the thing with COVID; a lot of restaurants have shortened their hours.

Photo by me

Hey, a 12-hour happy hour, my kind of place!

Photo by me

I had the peach soju.

Photo by me

I ate the bulgogi garlic noodles.

Photo by me

Sunday, 8.30.2020.

Lunch. Sometimes we can be creatures of habit. We were at this place last weekend.

Photo by me

I had the seared ahi Niçoise salad again.

Photo by me

But this time for dessert my partner had a pear tart.

Photo by me

And I had a tarte Tatin.

Photo by me

I was joking with my partner that this guy was Elvis Costello.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Feral parrots.

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 9:23 PM

I'm off from work today (Monday 8.31.2020), so I ran some errands this morning and took random photos.

Thought I'd go to the center of my town and get some coffee...

Photo by me

Photo by me

Got coffee from here, a café de olla. I was tempted to also get some baked goods but I didn't. I really like this local Los Angeles-area chain.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Transplant. And supposedly people are leaving California because it's a crumbling state. I'm like "Yeah, whatever tickles your pickle, people."

Photo by me

Target run. I had to pick up some stuff.

Photo by me

I'm a stairs kind of person, if it's only a few floors.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Next stop, the bank... I had a financial inquiry. This isn't my usual branch to visit, but this is right by the Target we usually go to. I'm not a huge fan of Chase, either; I've been with them a while now... I also have money in another big bank that I'd rather not name. I keep meaning to, but I really would rather put my money in a credit union.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

This area is actually right near where my partner works---he's currently been working from home, and is doing so today---so I thought I'd buy him a hot oolong tea. This place is pretty good.

Photo by me

Indeed.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Errands done. And now, the 10-minute drive home...

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 3:14 AM

Sunset in my 'hood, Wednesday, 9.2.2020.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 9:38 AM

The street life, food , the weather god I am jealous

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 5:42 AM

Just got back from LA. I am super disappointed. I was really considering moving there but after seeing the big homeless mental health issue the city has I think I’m going to have to go to another city. It’s a Shame because It could be a very cool city And place to live.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 6:20 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimol742 View Post
Just got back from LA. I am super disappointed. I was really considering moving there but after seeing the big homeless mental health issue the city has I think I’m going to have to go to another city. It’s a Shame because It could be a very cool city And place to live.
Yep, this really has snowballed in the last 10 years. Any coastal city from Seattle to San Diego is pretty terrible. Covid is only making a dire situation worse.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Well, it's not the same city it usually is because of the pandemic. Alot of the cool stuff is closed. I've traveled in the city last couple of weeks and it can see a drastic change of energy/vibe. It's probably not going to impress anyone for while, but thats true for alot of places. The big cities are fighting to get through the disaster.

If I wanted to move back to Chicago, I'm positive it would be far less vibrant right now.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Well, it's not the same city it usually is because of the pandemic. Alot of the cool stuff is closed. I've traveled in the city last couple of weeks and it can see a drastic change of energy/vibe. It's probably not going to impress anyone for while, but thats true for alot of places. The big cities are fighting to get through the disaster.

If I wanted to move back to Chicago, I'm positive it would be far less vibrant right now.
It would probably be less vibrant but definitely a lot cleaner and with a lot less homeless. NYC is getting busier every day now and I have to say thank god we don’t allow those homeless tents. It’s disgusting the way certain politicians treat their most vulnerable.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Yep, this really has snowballed in the last 10 years. Any coastal city from Seattle to San Diego is pretty terrible. Covid is only making a dire situation worse.
I barely saw any homeless in Orange County or towns like Manhattan Beach. I saw a few in San Diego but nothing like LA or SF. I guess SF and LA are run very poorly.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:27 PM

Quote:
I didn't think that homelessness and mental health issues were just an LA thing, I thought it was a US-wide/American city thing. I see homeless in other big American cities; in NYC I saw them flat out sleeping on the sidewalks and in subway stations in plain view, unsheltered. At least in LA, they can sleep in tents. A few years ago, LAPD and other city agencies were confiscating the tents and what little other property these homeless people had. I guess some people saw that as cruel, and they stopped doing that. Maybe if you don't have street smarts and are unfamiliar with American big city life, and homelessness makes you uncomfortable, big city life isn't for you and you need to move to a smaller city or small town, and you can find your Shangri-la there.

Quote:
I barely saw any homeless in Orange County or towns like Manhattan Beach. I saw a few in San Diego but nothing like LA or SF. I guess SF and LA are run very poorly.
That's funny, because there are definitely homeless in Orange County and Manhattan Beach. I guess you didn't ride a bike or walk along a concrete riverbed or concrete wash bike path, or look under bridges that go over riverbeds/washes; you probably didn't go into Santa Ana or Costa Mesa or Garden Grove... etc., or see panhandlers on street medians at stoplights or freeway exits. And homeless people are all over the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego.

Many homeless people also live in their cars. According to this website, https://www.safeparkingla.org/, in Los Angeles County, there are over 15,700 people living in their vehicles each night. These vehicle dwellers represent over 25% of the population of people experiencing homelessness in LA County. Safe Parking LA provides designated parking lots for people living out of their vehicles to have a safe place to park at night without worrying about their safety or being harassed and told to move their cars. They also provide showers, toilets and hand-washing stations. In fact, over the weekend, it was on the news that the City of LA installed permanent hand-washing stations in North Hollywood and downtown's Skid Row.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also angered by the homeless situation, but not because I think homeless people are "unsightly," but I'm angered by the situation that makes people homeless in the first place. There's the mental health issue and why they aren't getting the help they need, but also, where I live, the cost of housing has become really high. I find it no coincidence that homelessness has increased in the last several years as has the cost of housing. And now with the COVID-19 pandemic going on, homelessness has increased even more in the past several months.

That being said, I took some random pictures yesterday (9.8.2020).

Here is the street I work on. There are homeless people. They live in campers. I say hi to them every day, and they say hi back. Why not? I see them every work day. I acknowledge them because they're part of the community, and they want to be acknowledged. Many people ignore homeless people.

Photo by me

This was on the way to dinner yesterday, to one of our go-to restaurants. I see homeless every day. They are part of my LA.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

And now some more random photos I took yesterday (Tuesday 9.8.2020); the El Dorado Fire in Yucaipa started over the weekend due to some idiots and their gender reveal party (when did those become a thing???), hence the smoky air.

Photo by me

La Virgen.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

A few more random photos; I took these last Thursday (9.3.2020), before the start of the big fire in Yucaipa.

White wine with dinner.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 6:53 AM

More random photos...

Friday, 9.11.2020.

Going on my lunch break from work, I saw that my car was all ashy. Looked like dandruff. I swear, the fires are really bad.

Photo by me

It looks like fog, but it's a thick smoky haze. It smelled like burning wood. My throat and sinuses were all irritated.

Photo by me

Photo by me

I stopped at a coffee shop and bakery. I think I'll get an ube cookie the next time I'm here.

Photo by me

I don't know what *I* was thinking; I thought I could get an iced Vietnamese coffee and sit outside, but I started getting covered in ashes and my nose and throat were getting all irritated, so I bit the bullet and drove back to work, and sat in my office the rest of my lunch hour.

Photo by me

Fast-forward to the evening...

After dinner, my partner and I went and got Indian ice cream and strolled around a bit.

Photo by me

I got a half scoop of kaju draksh...

Photo by me

...and a half scoop of mango.

Photo by me

Mmm, mmm!

Photo by me

Pretty good place.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Sep 12, 2020 at 7:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 8:01 AM

Great photos of LA. So much to see. A city like no other. We live in such a colorful unique city. I love living here and honestly after living around the country I can't imagine living anywhere else. The homeless problem has really gotten worse since Covid-19 but I'm confident after the pandemic things will improve. Great thread.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Great photos of LA. So much to see. A city like no other. We live in such a colorful unique city. I love living here and honestly after living around the country I can't imagine living anywhere else. The homeless problem has really gotten worse since Covid-19 but I'm confident after the pandemic things will improve. Great thread.
Thanks!

Yes, a city like no other. And things will improve for sure.

More random photos... taken today, Saturday, 9.12.2020.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Coffee and an empanada for merienda.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

The brand-spanking new SoFi Stadium.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I didn't think that homelessness and mental health issues were just an LA thing, I thought it was a US-wide/American city thing. I see homeless in other big American cities; in NYC I saw them flat out sleeping on the sidewalks and in subway stations in plain view, unsheltered. At least in LA, they can sleep in tents. A few years ago, LAPD and other city agencies were confiscating the tents and what little other property these homeless people had. I guess some people saw that as cruel, and they stopped doing that. Maybe if you don't have street smarts and are unfamiliar with American big city life, and homelessness makes you uncomfortable, big city life isn't for you and you need to move to a smaller city or small town, and you can find your Shangri-la there.

That's funny, because there are definitely homeless in Orange County and Manhattan Beach. I guess you didn't ride a bike or walk along a concrete riverbed or concrete wash bike path, or look under bridges that go over riverbeds/washes; you probably didn't go into Santa Ana or Costa Mesa or Garden Grove... etc., or see panhandlers on street medians at stoplights or freeway exits. And homeless people are all over the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego.

Many homeless people also live in their cars. According to this website, https://www.safeparkingla.org/, in Los Angeles County, there are over 15,700 people living in their vehicles each night. These vehicle dwellers represent over 25% of the population of people experiencing homelessness in LA County. Safe Parking LA provides designated parking lots for people living out of their vehicles to have a safe place to park at night without worrying about their safety or being harassed and told to move their cars. They also provide showers, toilets and hand-washing stations. In fact, over the weekend, it was on the news that the City of LA installed permanent hand-washing stations in North Hollywood and downtown's Skid Row.
Look you can say whatever you want but the whole situation is disgusting. Skid row is worse than any third world country I have been too. I have never seen anything like that in my life. It was sad and just a shame that California and LA can’t do better than that. The homeless there are freaking everywhere!!!!! And sone of them are aggressive. They are a danger to themselves and to the rest of civilians. From what I saw a lot of them where high on hard core drugs.

Nyc is twice the size of LA and the Amount of homeless people and mentally ill you see on the streets is disproportionately greater in LA. It’s not even close. I’m actually so happy to be back and nyc and see that our city is dealing with this issue so much better. Even tho we have a terrible mayor. Thankfully it looks like the city is already looking beyond his term which ends next year.

When I was in LA I went to to a couple parks just to relax and seeing all the homeless people, all the tents, trash, etc just makes you uncomfortable and we ended up leaving. The only park where I didn’t see homeless was were they have the tar pits. And I guess it’s because they close the park in the evenings. Honestly I was thinking thank God we don’t have this in central park. Tourists must get such bad impression of LA after seeing all this.

Look, there are homeless people in most cities. In fact in nyc we have more homeless than in la but we put the majority of them in hotels and proper housing and then of course you will find some on the streets but whAt you guys have in LA cannot be found anywhere else. Not in nyc, not in Chicago, not in Miami, etc. Thank god we don’t allow tents. Once you get a tent you won’t be able to move it. It will stay there you like it or not. They need to build proper housing units and get rid of those tents. They look terrible.

You guys have a lot of work to do before 2028 if you really want to show the world how great LA really is.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Look you can say whatever you want but the whole situation is disgusting. Skid row is worse than any third world country I have been too. I have never seen anything like that in my life. It was sad and just a shame that California and LA can’t do better than that. The homeless there are freaking everywhere!!!!! And sone of them are aggressive. They are a danger to themselves and to the rest of civilians. From what I saw a lot of them where high on hard core drugs.

Nyc is twice the size of LA and the Amount of homeless people and mentally ill you see on the streets is disproportionately greater in LA. It’s not even close. I’m actually so happy to be back and nyc and see that our city is dealing with this issue so much better. Even tho we have a terrible mayor. Thankfully it looks like the city is already looking beyond his term which ends next year.

When I was in LA I went to to a couple parks just to relax and seeing all the homeless people, all the tents, trash, etc just makes you uncomfortable and we ended up leaving. The only park where I didn’t see homeless was were they have the tar pits. And I guess it’s because they close the park in the evenings. Honestly I was thinking thank God we don’t have this in central park. Tourists must get such bad impression of LA after seeing all this.

Look, there are homeless people in most cities. In fact in nyc we have more homeless than in la but we put the majority of them in hotels and proper housing and then of course you will find some on the streets but whAt you guys have in LA cannot be found anywhere else. Not in nyc, not in Chicago, not in Miami, etc. Thank god we don’t allow tents. Once you get a tent you won’t be able to move it. It will stay there you like it or not. They need to build proper housing units and get rid of those tents. They look terrible.

You guys have a lot of work to do before 2028 if you really want to show the world how great LA really is.
Meltdown much?

Out of sight, out of mind. Got it.

I'm glad you're back home, feeling comfortable in your safe zone. Maybe you should seek help about your anxieties; I guess your issue isn't that there's homeless, your issue is that you just don't wanna see them. And if you're so passionate about the homeless situation, I'm glad you have solutions. And I guess tents only work in LA because of our beautiful weather. In fact, that's why some say we have more homeless, is because of our weather.

More random photos, taken today, Sunday, 9.13.2020.

Photo by me

Don't forget to wash your feet before entering.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Lunch time.

Photo by me

Papaya salad.

Photo by me

Prik king with chicken.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

A Hilton Hotel attached to this strip mall. Pre-COVID-19, Chinese tourists flocked to the SGV. Bus tours took them to the casinos, to Vegas, to outlet malls... There was no reason for them to have to speak English while in the SGV, these businesses catering to the Chinese tourists, as well as to Chinese locals in the SGV.

Photo by me

A direct entryway from the Hilton to this strip mall.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

It seems a lot of Chinese businesses keep their Christmas decorations up all year long.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 4:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Meltdown much?

I'm glad you're back home, feeling comfortable in your safe zone. Maybe you should seek help about your anxieties; I guess your issue isn't that there's homeless, your issue is that you just don't wanna see them. And if you're so passionate about the homeless situation, I'm glad you have solutions. And I guess tents only work in LA because of our beautiful weather. In fact, that's why some say we have more homeless, is because of our weather.

More random photos, taken today, Sunday, 9.13.2020.

for the record i walked all over downtown including skid row last visit and i didn't notice los angeles as much different from nyc homeless situation. ours probably come and go more while yours are more camped in place because weather and etc though. not that we don't have our long term regulars.

anyway -- very nice chinese mall pics, but i cannot help but notice the haze. can you post some sky and cali fire related pics if you get a chance? of course that is in the news every day and we are all worried.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Meltdown much?

Interesting pics. A blend of socal spanish architecture, chinese signage, palm trees & cambodian (not sure if that's the language in some of the shots)....with some xmas decorations to boot.

as for the homeless situation, since the politics in both NYC & LA are more alike than different, the weather has to be the major reason for discrepancies between the two coasts.

I've read visitors from what would be rated as poorer nations describing the large number of sidewalk camps & homeless ppl in LA, etc, as even worse than what they're accustomed to back home. that's giving LA an increasingly mean & miserable look....nothing to take lightly or excuse for whatever reasons, political or economic.

Not sure if it's as bad in european cities like paris or london, etc. Asian cities or countries like tokyo & singapore certainly aren't a fraction as chaotic.

We're ending up like the wild, wild west....SF, seattle, san diego, portland, etc, too. when rain & snow don't force ppl off the sidewalks & out of the parks in a NYC or chicago, baltimore, the wild, wild east too.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:

I think it's weird you went to skid row as a tourist. It's not even close to tourist stuff. Most locals don't go there. What is the reason? Curiosity? It's not an office or entertainment area. I can assure you most tourists dont have the time to do that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos