HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 7:52 PM

Back on dumpsters, additional indication Philly could use some improvement to its dumpster policy:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/0...umpster-legal/

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Oct 12, 2016 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Changing Skyline: Optical illusion makes architect Bjarke Ingels' new Navy Yard building mesmerizing
Updated: JUNE 24, 2016 — 3:01 AM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/living/...smerizing.html
That building is beautiful

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Back on dumpsters, additional indication Philly could use some improvement to its dumpster policy:

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2016/0...umpster-legal/

Dumpster right out on the corner at 4th & South.

Yup, that's how well planned cities do it.
Agreed. Pretty lame. We should do much more to keep dumpsters off commercial strips and not leave these decisions to the discretion of streets department employees to determine whether the dumpster would "present a problem." If the Wendy's at 11th and Walnut can get by without a dumpster I don't see why this restaurant can't.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Changing Skyline: Optical illusion makes architect Bjarke Ingels' new Navy Yard building mesmerizing
Updated: JUNE 24, 2016 — 3:01 AM EDT
http://www.philly.com/philly/living/...smerizing.html
The Navy Yard is looking good

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:43 AM

Thos. Moser - a luxury furniture maker - will be coming to Walnut Street next to Apple

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...nter_City.html

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:54 AM

The Collins - 1100 block of Chestnut - 7 floors - apartments/retail

https://www.facebook.com/groups/grea...lphiaplanners/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:56 AM

Pennovation Works - 34th and Grays Ferry

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 1:52 PM

Speaking of Penn, the tower crane is being installed this morning at the Perelman Center for Political Science and Economics - 36th and Walnut:

While foundation work continues:

Very busy site on a beautiful Saturday morning.

Last edited by Philly Fan; Jun 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 3:52 PM

Nice nice

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 8:11 PM

Was in times square last night. Trash piles 20-30 bags high were common all over the place. On a Friday night. I think I'd prefer some dumpster alleys I don't walk down over that. If Philly looked like that, people here would be ripping Philly apart for piling their trash in the nicest blocks of the city on a weekend night.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2016, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcphil View Post
Was in times square last night. Trash piles 20-30 bags high were common all over the place. On a Friday night. I think I'd prefer some dumpster alleys I don't walk down over that. If Philly looked like that, people here would be ripping Philly apart for piling their trash in the nicest blocks of the city on a weekend night.
Last many times I've been to NYC, my experience is that somehow the streets, gutters, parks, seem far freer of trash than ours, notwithstanding evening piles of bags at pick-up time.

But like I said earlier, NY make not have a great model as some of you suggest. That's fine. Then let's look at other cities' approaches. We can learn from the cities that do it better. Whether that includes NY or not isn't really relevant. Ultimately who cares what NYC does? What matters is that we make Center City better, along the lines of what the McGillin's guy was saying.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 5:47 AM

Why Philadelphia's Chinatown is Thriving

http://www.thedailymeal.com/why-phil...atown-thriving

Not development-related, but an interesting read nonetheless!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
The Collins - 1100 block of Chestnut - 7 floors - apartments/retail

wow, you will be able to traverse that sidewalk again. Great news.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Last many times I've been to NYC, my experience is that somehow the streets, gutters, parks, seem far freer of trash than ours, notwithstanding evening piles of bags at pick-up time.

But like I said earlier, NY make not have a great model as some of you suggest. That's fine. Then let's look at other cities' approaches. We can learn from the cities that do it better. Whether that includes NY or not isn't really relevant. Ultimately who cares what NYC does? What matters is that we make Center City better, along the lines of what the McGillin's guy was saying.
the article posted earlier already summed up the contentious and complicated issues around trash handling from commercial owners in the densest part of the city. There is no easy solution and no solution in which everyone wins, period. And contrary to your constant ranting and raving these dumpsters are generally out of sight and out of mind for most CC pedestrians. Its not like dumpsters are sitting out in front of upscale stores on Walnut Street. I think its funny that in this case you are actually asking for strong government intervention in terms of dictating every aspect of how, when and who collects CC commercial trash. This from a guy who typically argues the only way for Philly to succeed is for it;s local government to do nothing at all. But people like you are never consistent or logical so none of this is surprising.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
the article posted earlier already summed up the contentious and complicated issues around trash handling from commercial owners in the densest part of the city. There is no easy solution and no solution in which everyone wins, period. And contrary to your constant ranting and raving these dumpsters are generally out of sight and out of mind for most CC pedestrians. Its not like dumpsters are sitting out in front of upscale stores on Walnut Street. I think its funny that in this case you are actually asking for strong government intervention in terms of dictating every aspect of how, when and who collects CC commercial trash. This from a guy who typically argues the only way for Philly to succeed is for it;s local government to do nothing at all. But people like you are never consistent or logical so none of this is surprising.
CAT FIGHT. Just as the boredom of summer was starting, a dumpster battle breaks out, great. OK boys, lets have a clean fight, no pulling of hair, no punches to the back, no bringing your mother's name into the ring, and may the best dumpster dumper win.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 4:03 PM

West Powleton

Hey Everyone, I don't contribute too much, but love these threads and first wanted to say thank you for the energy and information you provide here. I'd contribute more often myself if I could figure out how to post pictures. So anyways, sorry to interrupt the great dumpster debate of 2016, but I wanted to pick your brains for a minute. I see a lot of you are in West Philly/UCity (or have lived or worked there in the past). My knowledge is much stronger in CC and South Philly, but I'm looking at a potential property investment over in West Powelton Village. Was hoping to pick your brains on the area. I've heard/seen good things in West Philly (so long as I don't ask my parents who's last interaction with West Philly outside of biking West River Drive and going to the Zoo was living above a whore house near 40th and Walnut and driving past MOVE back in the 70s).

Schuylkill Yards and the 30th Street plans are a very nice wet dream, but they're years off, if they happen. Where do you think the area is going to be in the next 5-10 years?

I've seen some very small activity going on around Market and 40th in front of the shops, I'm guessing that's some small development pushing up from all the great stuff going on around 40th and Chestnut/Walnut and uCity is in it's infancy, but what are the chances that gets fully off the ground? Also, what are peoples' thoughts on Lancaster Ave? The east end at Drexel is nice. The trolleys are a great amenity, it looks bumping when they have the night markets (even if it seemingly ALWAYS rains during those night markets), but do you think retail is going to make it up to Hawthorn Hall or beyond any time soon? I could see that being a very South Street West type strip, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Hey Everyone, I don't contribute too much, but love these threads and first wanted to say thank you for the energy and information you provide here. I'd contribute more often myself if I could figure out how to post pictures. So anyways, sorry to interrupt the great dumpster debate of 2016, but I wanted to pick your brains for a minute. I see a lot of you are in West Philly/UCity (or have lived or worked there in the past). My knowledge is much stronger in CC and South Philly, but I'm looking at a potential property investment over in West Powelton Village. Was hoping to pick your brains on the area. I've heard/seen good things in West Philly (so long as I don't ask my parents who's last interaction with West Philly outside of biking West River Drive and going to the Zoo was living above a whore house near 40th and Walnut and driving past MOVE back in the 70s).

Schuylkill Yards and the 30th Street plans are a very nice wet dream, but they're years off, if they happen. Where do you think the area is going to be in the next 5-10 years?

I've seen some very small activity going on around Market and 40th in front of the shops, I'm guessing that's some small development pushing up from all the great stuff going on around 40th and Chestnut/Walnut and uCity is in it's infancy, but what are the chances that gets fully off the ground? Also, what are peoples' thoughts on Lancaster Ave? The east end at Drexel is nice. The trolleys are a great amenity, it looks bumping when they have the night markets (even if it seemingly ALWAYS rains during those night markets), but do you think retail is going to make it up to Hawthorn Hall or beyond any time soon? I could see that being a very South Street West type strip, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
development has already pushed westward on Lancaster so I think its conceivable that you will see more people and better retail west of 40th and Lancaster, if its not happening already. Development on market is already pushing towards 40th and likely will go beyond within 5 years. It certainly helps that 40th street station is getting elevators and related improvements.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 6:36 PM
BANNED

anyone know what retailer is taking over the Finish Line on chestnut street? That's a huge retail space but Ive heard nothing about who is coming there which seems surprising.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'd contribute more often myself if I could figure out how to post pictures.
Try this website - https://imgur.com/
Click upload, then upload your images and once they appear uploaded, each photo will have an option to get so called BBC link. You can paste them directly into your post. Just don't forget to resize photos to a smaller size before uploading.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurkek View Post
Try this website - https://imgur.com/
Click upload, then upload your images and once they appear uploaded, each photo will have an option to get so called BBC link. You can paste them directly into your post. Just don't forget to resize photos to a smaller size before uploading.
Thank you - will do!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development