HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 6:26 PM

This idea that the Very Honourable Jan Reimer was disastrous for Edmonton is a laughable right wing talking point and obviously fake news of which I totally reject the premise of the argument (to paraphrase a certain current politician).

Even if it was true, I don't necessarily think it was a bad thing that Edmonton lost some corporate leeches to Calgary, a city we all know is just one giant scam of a place anyway.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
This idea that the Very Honourable Jan Reimer was disastrous for Edmonton is a laughable right wing talking point and obviously fake news of which I totally reject the premise of the argument (to paraphrase a certain current politician).

Even if it was true, I don't necessarily think it was a bad thing that Edmonton lost some corporate leeches to Calgary, a city we all know is just one giant scam of a place anyway.
it's not "fake news" that that period was unquestionably an awful time for edmonton and for our reputation that we are still struggling to overcome in many areas.

it is however, unfair to place all the blame on jan reimer in that she was saddled with a completely disfunctional council that not even king solomon would have been able to manage effectively.

it's also worth noting that civic administration in those days was also completely different and while there are some areas that were more efficient than they are today, in many others it was also quite disfunctional and much more autonomous and unaccountable than we see today (which can work really well when it works and which can be a disaster when it doesn't).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 7:06 PM

If you want to blame anyone for head offices leaving Edmonton look no further the one Peter Lougheed and we name a leadership centre at the U of A after him.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 1:14 AM
Community Guy

William Hawrelak Park Rehabilitation Project
Project Website Project Website
Budget - The project is currently on budget.

Schedule - The project is currently on schedule.

Scope - The project is within the scope approved in the project charter.

Description:

A 10-year rehabilitation plan guides the renewal of Hawrelak Park to ensure it continues to serve the recreational and event needs of Edmontonians. The William Hawrelak Park Rehabilitation project will address the lifecycle replacement of the utility, transportation, open spaces and facility infrastructure within the park boundary to better support the site's existing varied and intensive uses and existing park goals and objectives
Latest Update:

Design workshops continue with internal and external stakeholders. Structural investigations were completed on the main pavilion deck to inform design. Environmental investigations in the service yard are complete with no further assessment required.
Contact Information:

Email: rachel.dumont@edmonton.ca
Phone: 780-442-0219

Approved Schedule

June, 2022
Forecasted Schedule

June, 2022
Approved Budget

$4.27 million
Forecasted Budget

$4.27 million

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 2, 2021, 10:25 PM

deleted

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:36 AM
Community Guy

Neat business venture for Big Island.

https://ura-yeg.ca/#rec243732442

Maybe someone will find the dock.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Neat business venture for Big Island.

https://ura-yeg.ca/#rec243732442

Maybe someone will find the dock.
Interesting, I know a few people that have MTB in that area. I also thought it was partly FN ceremonial land.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:54 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Interesting, I know a few people that have MTB in that area. I also thought it was partly FN ceremonial land.
I believe you're right, as it is located in the former part of Enoch Cree Nation's reserve land before it was shrunk to it's existing size.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 4:58 PM
Change is good

Phase 2 of the city's Ribbon of Green/River Valley ARP Consultations are beginning, EMBA has shared their concerns today

https://www.edmmtnbike.ca/ribbon-of-...consultations/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 2:48 AM
Community Guy

An interesting layout/idea from Archited on SRC

https://edmonton.skyrisecities.com/f.../#post-1796447

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 5:36 PM
A Better Place

^The driving range would have to stay somewhere as it's probably the busiest part of the entire golf course.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 4:55 AM
Community Guy

Project Update - February 2022​

Design for William Hawrelak Park is continuing with preliminary drawings being refined to create a final, construction-ready, design for the project. This includes a more detailed site plan as well as floor plans, elevations and section drawings to support the development permit application process. This level of detail in design provides an understanding of the interdependencies between the scopes of work and the options to stage the construction. Through 2022, detailed design will continue to progress with construction targeted to begin in spring 2023.

The project team, including both City of Edmonton staff and external advisors such as architects, engineers and a construction manager, have evaluated the optimal approach to construction by taking into account multiple perspectives. The analysis included staging of construction through both partial and full park closures. The recommended staging plan includes a full park closure for a duration of up to 3 years. This would start as early as spring 2023 with the majority of the work being completed by fall 2024. The final year, 2025, will primarily focus on the final landscaping establishment including any seasonal deficiencies. It is possible that passive recreation activities may resume in a staged manner during this final year; however, the site will not be prepared to take heavy use and demand during this time.

A few items considered through this process included:

Construction Schedule: The full closure strategy allows the greatest opportunity to stack construction activities concurrently. The overlapping of activities and resources helps accelerate the timelines and create further agility, ensuring the completion of construction as per the schedule.

User experience: Although a full park closure is impactful, it allows the best opportunity to minimize park downtime for day to day users and avoid ongoing impacts to festival organizers over an extended period of years (as in a staged approach).

Complexity and Risk: A significant amount of permitting requirements for this project can be considered and managed in one single request which reduces the overall complexity and risk.

Parks Operations: Addressing the full scope of work under a full closure allows for the accelerated benefits of the renewal work, contributing to enhanced serviceability and reliability issues, in a more timely manner.

Cost: A full closure helps provide the greatest assurances of the total cost for the project. It will be less susceptible to inflation and market pressures including changing codes and standards, regulations and permits.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...tation-project

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 3:23 PM
Change is good

how about we stop developing the river valley ?? Let it be the natural park space it should be. Yes, I know the golf course is hardly natural, but either is that bunk vision above, and the bunk vision above just seems to want to pave or develop large swathes of forested area.

If you want to build an aquarium in the valley? Put it in Rossdale.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 5:05 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
how about we stop developing the river valley ?? Let it be the natural park space it should be. Yes, I know the golf course is hardly natural, but either is that bunk vision above, and the bunk vision above just seems to want to pave or develop large swathes of forested area.

If you want to build an aquarium in the valley? Put it in Rossdale.
Closing half of Victoria Golf Course and turning it over to public park space isn't a bad idea in general, especially since you have the city's densest neighbourhood just above it.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 6:24 PM

How about closing all of Victoria Golf Course? We already have too many golf courses in the river valley.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 9:07 PM

Edmonton-Strathcona County footbridge at 167 Ave is going for public consulation March 24.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...p6-xjgBzA3rK40

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Edmonton-Strathcona County footbridge at 167 Ave is going for public consulation March 24.

Construction is supposed to start this fall. the piers to go in next winter.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 11:00 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post

Awesome, I biked up there last fall and it would've been awesome if I could've crossed the river and continued northeast to Fort Sask.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Awesome, I biked up there last fall and it would've been awesome if I could've crossed the river and continued northeast to Fort Sask.
Would make our annual ride to Elk Island easy to get from My house. The crossing location would add not only a great road system but add all of the Ft Sask Trails to the Edmonton loops.

And when I do my loop of the valley it might be easily possible to do a true century ride.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 5:30 PM
Change is good

A true century is already possible in the River Valley, start at Cameron Heights, make your way out to location of the new bridge and then take the opposite side of the river on your way back. easily 110 km, 1100 m of climbing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton