HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 5:48 PM
Closed account

Have you ever been to London? Philadelphia is a fine city, but no where near major cities like London, NYC, LA, Rome, Moscow, Tokyo.

Per this Global City ranking Philly is alongside Miami, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta.

Yeah, Philadelphia food scene is decent. I eat out extensively and will agree. But so is NYC, Chicago, DC to name a few. And so is London.

Philadelphia is a fine city and growing a lot, but it isn't going to get any traction in London. People can think and feel all they want, but it just doesn't compare. It's called being a realist instead of a fan boy.

Edit: This has nothing to do with "aspiring", but in the reality of actually achieving something. Philadelphia can aspire all it wants, but it isn't going to reach economic and global significance of the aforementioned cities. I'd like to see Philadelphia aspire to be the best city it can be, a difficult goal in itself.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 6:17 PM

LOL - yes I've been all over the UK extensively and numerous times; was last in London, Edinburgh, and Brighton in July and am going back to London/Brighton next month. And it is from that perspective that I'm telling you, Philly is closer to London than Leeds.

Speaking of Rome, note that it's *below* Philly in the GaWC rankings. So is Berlin. Rome and Berlin are in the Beta bracket; Philly and London are in the Alpha bracket.

The Philadelphia food scene is more than decent; it's world-class. And your saying that Philly isn't going to get any traction in London isn't being a realist - it's being a pessimist. No one is suggesting that Philly is going to become a London - but we can improve. You look towards London for that, not Leeds.

Am I a fan boy? Yes. That's how things become more popular - by gaining fans. And those are what Philadelphia needs, not Negadelphians.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 6:19 PM

Yeah I dunno, I don't feel outrage here, and I always feel outrage when people diss Philly. Even if it isn't Leeds, why not go to places suffering the same problems you are to learn and share ideas? He could go to Montreal. That's a comparable place too, in terms of population size, transit system size, age, and the gruffy-and-awesome types of people who live there. I'm never really sure of what these trips even accomplish, but I don't know why it's crazy to suggest talking to people in a place who share your problem set.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 6:44 PM
Closed account

Ok, agree to disagree. That is what opinions are. Philadelphia needs continued development and expansion, not blind cheerleading.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2010t.html

Philly is Alpha minus. Below London. The writer picked Leeds because it is in the UK, not from any type of study. His point is that Nutter should focus on a more comparable city, however you measure cities.

Furthermore, I went to the website to understand their criteria and per the definition of Alpha & Alpha- cities are cities that link major economic regions into the world economy.

So Philadelphia benefits from being close to both NYC and DC. I wouldn't consider that to be anything other than geographically lucky. And while it might be a benefit for this study, it also has a negative impact.

Foreign Policy did another ranking and Philly wasn't even on it.

I don't know, whatever. Nutter going to London will at least bring Philly's name up in circles it otherwise wouldn't be heard. I just don't understand how the Philly mag article was so off base. Seems pretty on point. Then again I've only been here 5 years and while I like the city, I see both the pros and cons.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 7:05 PM

Cities like London and New York are alpha++'s because they do business with other major cities, not because they do business with just each other.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 8:25 PM

Rodin Square

New article about the Rodin Square development, with the large Whole Foods, right off the Parkway:

http://philadelphiaheights.wordpress...truction-soon/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 9:27 PM

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 10:08 PM

Does best western have any plans to stay in the city somewhere else?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 1:49 AM

Most people outside the USA/Canada have probably never heard of Philadelphia, except from maybe Elton John's 1975 song. I never even knew Leeds was a city in the UK until I read that above article. I faintly heard of it in the past and just assumed it was a neighborhood in London.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSFHQ View Post
Have you ever been to London? Philadelphia is a fine city, but no where near major cities like London, NYC, LA, Rome, Moscow, Tokyo.
Just a minor point: you can't really put Rome in this list either. Philly is actually comparable to (and often outmatches) Rome in many respects.

Otherwise, I agree with you completely.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
Most people outside the USA/Canada have probably never heard of Philadelphia, except from maybe Elton John's 1975 song. I never even knew Leeds was a city in the UK until I read that above article. I faintly heard of it in the past and just assumed it was a neighborhood in London.
I disagree with a lot of what's being said here.

First of all, Nutter's trip. This is a trade trip, not a trip to share policies/best practices. He is going because there are already specific trading relationships that mayors typically cultivate. Philadelphia already participates in the Impacts Network which brings together 11 US cities and 13 European cities to exchange best practices (including, to name a few, Chicago, Houston, New York, Paris, London, Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam). These are essentially the city equivalent of cabinet-level meetings for nations. They are thematically oriented and involve the deputy mayors of each city.

Second, true, Philadelphia is not London. In the developed world, really only New York, Tokyo, and Paris are in the same league in terms of economic importance, international character, and cultural significance. For these cities only to meet with each other would be repetitive and myopic. Therefore, the Impacts Network brings together a number that is more constructive. You can find the European list under 'cities' and the US list under 'IMPACTS Networks'. http://impacts.org/ If you peruse the list, there are some very important cities. But I would remind you that Philadelphia's metropolitan economy is still above average for the cities included (above, for example, cities like Rome, Vienna, Amsterdam, Berlin etc.).

Third, ya...blind cheerleading doesn't make sense. But I think a lot of you are really underestimating Philly's reputation. I've lived abroad for 6 of the last 10 years, including in London, Paris, Rome, and Kinshasa, DRC. Of the hundreds of people I've told where I'm from, there has never been someone who hadn't heard of Philly. The people who typically had the least familiarity with US geography were in Congo, but even there, they tended to have heard of 5 or 6 US cities, including NY and LA, and a few others including Chicago and Philly. And in Europe, it is really regarded as a major city of international significance. I would just say, ya—Philly is not London or NY—but they are part of an exceedingly small group. If you're willing to accept that more than 4 cities in the world constitute major economic and cultural nodes, Philly is certainly among the most important.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post

First of all, Nutter's trip. This is a trade trip, not a trip to share policies/best practices. He is going because there are already specific trading relationships that mayors typically cultivate. Philadelphia already participates in the Impacts Network which brings together 11 US cities and 13 European cities to exchange best practices (including, to name a few, Chicago, Houston, New York, Paris, London, Rome, Barcelona, Amsterdam). These are essentially the city equivalent of cabinet-level meetings for nations. They are thematically oriented and involve the deputy mayors of each city.

Second, true, Philadelphia is not London. In the developed world, really only New York, Tokyo, and Paris are in the same league in terms of economic importance, international character, and cultural significance. For these cities only to meet with each other would be repetitive and myopic. Therefore, the Impacts Network brings together a number that is more constructive. You can find the European list under 'cities' and the US list under 'IMPACTS Networks'. http://impacts.org/ If you peruse the list, there are some very important cities. But I would remind you that Philadelphia's metropolitan economy is still above average for the cities included (above, for example, cities like Rome, Vienna, Amsterdam, Berlin etc.).

Third, ya...blind cheerleading doesn't make sense. But I think a lot of you are really underestimating Philly's reputation. I've lived abroad for 6 of the last 10 years, including in London, Paris, Rome, and Kinshasa, DRC. Of the hundreds of people I've told where I'm from, there has never been someone who hadn't heard of Philly. The people who typically had the least familiarity with US geography were in Congo, but even there, they tended to have heard of 5 or 6 US cities, including NY and LA, and a few others including Chicago and Philly. And in Europe, it is really regarded as a major city of international significance. I would just say, ya—Philly is not London or NY—but they are part of an exceedingly small group. If you're willing to accept that more than 4 cities in the world constitute major economic and cultural nodes, Philly is certainly among the most important.
Bingo. And in terms of reputation, I've traveled all over Europe, and not only are people everywhere familiar with Philly, they typically even know it by its nickname "Philly".

I don't know why there are accusations of "blind cheerleading" being thrown around. I saw an article that was underserving Philadelphia, and I called it out on its weaknesses. I *know* Philadelphia is not a London. Duh.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 12:03 PM
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late1 View Post
Bingo. And in terms of reputation, I've traveled all over Europe, and not only are people everywhere familiar with Philly, they typically even know it by its nickname "Philly".

I don't know why there are accusations of "blind cheerleading" being thrown around. I saw an article that was underserving Philadelphia, and I called it out on its weaknesses. I *know* Philadelphia is not a London. Duh.
I think everything you have written is "right on" and great, both here and as a response in the article comments section.

Philadelphia is a great city and can compete culturally with any other city...and in its own right, as the ratings show, is a city and metro that has economic clout when compared to the rest of the planet.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 8:30 PM

Pomerantz building

Walking down chestnut the other day, I noticed some steel going up on the rear of the pomerantz building on the 1500 block of chestnut. Wondering if the boutique hotel that was proposed is finally moving forward? If that's what it is, with a new restaurant going into ritz camera and the announcement of tin roof going into the 1500 block of Sansom which presumably go straight thru to the old gap outlet on chestnut, the block could really be turning the corner.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 4:35 PM

Here's hoping Nutter's Trip also involves some Olympic Bid research

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 7:17 PM

Radian Building 15th and Market

What are they doing to the base of it? Are there any renderings of what the finished product is going to look like? I kinda like the old base and don't understand why they would take away a unique architectural feature.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 7:36 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

They're infilling the original "arcade" to expand the retail at its base. IIRC summersm had a render of it some time ago.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 8:16 PM

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Oct 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 4:25 AM

More on 4224 Baltimore in University City

Just posted on The Daily Pennsylvanian web site:

http://www.thedp.com/article/2013/10...-and-baltimore

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post

Not to belabor this tiresome topic, but Philadelphia DOES rival New York, London, Paris, and Tokyo in economic importance, international character, and cultural significance (and surpasses all of them in economic diversity). There's more to the global economy than the financial and media industries and getting rich quick. Philadelphia is much more of a high-tech business center than these other cities, more of an elite academic center, more of a scientific and medical research hub, and more of a health care and pharmaceutical center (it's the medical and pharmaceutical capital of the world!). Philadelphia is, also, more of a manufacturing hub than these other cities (except maybe Tokyo), even though that's declined over the years. And, the port of Philadelphia handles as much (or more) fresh produce, oil, lumber and paper, cocoa, and nuts than these other cities. Even the industries that these other cities are known for are big here, such as the financial industry (we have some key players), law firms, nightlife, unique and luxury retail, and creative industries (including the largest media company in the world and lots of artists and musicians).

Philadelphia rivals these other cities when it comes to culture and museums, and is more of an intellectual center because of the elite schools, medical institutions, and high-tech research and companies, and Philadelphia is as ethnically diverse and progressive as these other cities (and more diverse than Tokyo). What these other cities have more of are "flashy" industries, like the get-rich-quick financial and investments industry, media, entertainment, luxury shopping, and fashion design (and three are capital cities). These industries are important to shallow-minded people who want to get rich quick and show off their wealth with lots of luxury items, or who want to get famous or are interested in celebrity gossip. These industries don't really make the world go 'round (or not as much as many people think they do), but the shallow-minded, self-absorbed people in the media, who live in these cities, can't stop talking about these things and they can't stop talking about, and exaggerating about, where they live. Then this attracts like-minded people to these cities, which they keep hearing about in the media (and countless movies and TV shows), and that adds to these cities' population growth (and LA, too).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development