HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 6:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
wow. how many 1,000+ do we have proposed/under construction now in the city? anyone know?
That's hard to nail down because so many developments are in a state of flux. We know there are 3 at the WTC site, but it could be twice that or more in Midtown (not including BofA and Times).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 7:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
What's really surprising to me is that Extell is starting work on a tall tower as is Moinian. Has the 7 line even started construction yet? Right now there is no middle ground, theres these construction sites and then gas-stations, chop shops, junk shops, mcdonalds, clubs, and parking lots.
A lot of this will happen simultaneously. The City has quietly acquired all of the land it needs for the subway extension, and the planned Hudson Boulevard. Everything is moving according to plan, except the Javits Center expansion. Spitzer came into office with the promise of moving things along, but has proven to be just as slow if not worse than Pataki in getting these things moving along. Despite that however, the rest of the developments are taking shape.

Because of complications regarding the winner of the railyards site, and its various bidders/tenants, some of the other developers in the area are waiting to pick up the pieces from the fallout. Everyone looking to may get to move to the west side, one way or another.

It's like the city has created a big playground for developers, and said "go out and play!"

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 7:17 PM

It's nice, simple.

It reminds me somewhat of an extruded version of 7WTC from certain angles.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 8:08 PM

Great tower. Great news. It reminds me a little of the citigroup center.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 8:41 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Right. Given the fact that just a few short years ago, people were writing off tall skyscraper construction in the city (in the aftermath of 9/11), it's really impressive. It's as if the floodgates have opened, as the bulk of skyscraper developments on the west side now include 1,000 footers. It will be really interesting to see who pushes away from the crowd, creating the dominant tower in the area.
True to no end. I am just very happy that this supertall and many more to come will make home in the Manhattan Skyline.

This reminds me of when skyscrapers in Manhattan were just starting out. Nothing built back then but TALL, beautiful, bold, iconic buildings. These new developements prove that history does indeed repeat itself.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 9:36 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminum View Post
Supertall. *yawn*
Wait a minute, "supertall with No Spire !!!! "

Oh, yeah, they're such exciting looking... rectangles

Doesn't it ever occur to you that spires add variety and excitement?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
This reminds me of when skyscrapers in Manhattan were just starting out. Nothing built back then but TALL, beautiful, bold, iconic buildings. These new developements prove that history does indeed repeat itself.
This rendering also reminds me of those old photos of the early days, when buildings like Rockefeller Center and Chrysler were first built. They dominated in a way that would be hard to imagine now. This tower likewise will be surrounded by other towers in the future. In fact, its hard to say if this would be the first to rise at all.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Comparison to other monoliths...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Oh, yeah, they're such exciting looking... rectangles

Doesn't it ever occur to you that spires add variety and excitement?
When integrated properly into the overall design of a building and not just ploped on haphazardly.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 11:03 PM

wow anoyther 1000 footer its about time new york city builds bigger i mean they have in the past few years but they have been useing spires to cheat the hight of there buildings im glad to see that these builldings dont have that

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:10 AM

I was excited when i saw the listing for a new 1000+ ft proposal for NYC. Then I saw the design and was extremely underwhelmed. It's as though the architects made a very tall box then cut out 2 small sections from the top.... and that was it, nothing else. I was very surprised to see everyone exclaiming their excitement over the bldg. Yeah, it's tall but what else? Trust me, I'd take it for my dwntwn in a heartbeat, but is it exceptional for NYC? You'd think there'd be room for creating something striking in this market for the '3rd' dwntwn of manhattan. Blehk....

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:30 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuelas View Post
I was excited when i saw the listing for a new 1000+ ft proposal for NYC. Then I saw the design and was extremely underwhelmed. It's as though the architects made a very tall box then cut out 2 small sections from the top.... and that was it, nothing else. I was very surprised to see everyone exclaiming their excitement over the bldg. Yeah, it's tall but what else? Trust me, I'd take it for my dwntwn in a heartbeat, but is it exceptional for NYC? You'd think there'd be room for creating something striking in this market for the '3rd' dwntwn of manhattan. Blehk....
This is modern NYC architecture. The building is a poster child for a new breed of buildings (green). It's tall, innovative, and beneficial to the enviroment. Plus its a supertall without a spire.

IMO, it's just what the doctor ordered.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 3:59 AM
Ascension

Even though the name GiraSole sounds like some sort of foot medicine, I really love this tower. This is how to make a gracefull, classy building. Simple, clean, and modern through and through. I love it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:11 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
This is modern NYC architecture. The building is a poster child for a new breed of buildings (green). It's tall, innovative, and beneficial to the enviroment. Plus its a supertall without a spire.

IMO, it's just what the doctor ordered.
you mean they're gonna start making green-glass skyscrapers now? its about time!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 5:59 AM
Posh

Damn, so many supertalls u/c or proposed in Manhattan I can't keep track of them all.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:17 AM
Time/Space

They already started digging at the site! I guess they want to be the first ones with the planned hotels rooms in the area.

From scumonkey at WNY...

Quote:
Inside the pit SW view

inside SE view

Inside N view

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 11:33 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedone View Post
wow anoyther 1000 footer its about time new york city builds bigger i mean they have in the past few years but they have been useing spires to cheat the hight of there buildings im glad to see that these builldings dont have that
Glad to see you wasted your "1" post on that...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 11:36 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuelas View Post
You'd think there'd be room for creating something striking in this market for the '3rd' dwntwn of manhattan. Blehk....
You seem to speak as if this is the "centerpiece" of the new west side of Manhattan. It isn't. It's a mixed-use tower that is as tall as it is because of zoning. There doesn't have to be anything exceptional about it. The height alone is "striking", considering its an area that barely has any highrises. Want a tower that screams for attention? Go to Dubai. That's not how they do it in New York, although we do have some nice ones.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 11:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post
They already started digging at the site! I guess they want to be the first ones with the planned hotels rooms in the area.

From scumonkey at WNY...
That's great. Now if they could just select a winning bidder for the convention center hotel, the pieces can begin to fall into place. You can see the plaza that will be the site of the hotel in the background of that pic. Moinian is one of the 3 bidders for that one as well. I wonder if they would start this tower without an anchor tenant...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction