HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
I never realized how this place perks up over salad dressing. [...]
Like young Cleopatra, we're still in our "salad days, when I was green in judgment."

When we reach Main Course mode, ketchup will fascinate us.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:45 PM

From George Geary's indispensable "L.A.'s Legendary Restaurants," here's the (possibly reconstructed) Brown Derby's recipe for French Dressing to accompany your Cobb Salad (makes 3 cups):

3/4 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup water

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2 tsp fresh lemon juice

1 tsp granulated sugar

1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

1 tsp Dijon mustard

3/4 tsp sea salt

1 clove garlic cut in half

1 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 cup canola oil

Put everything but the oils in a food processor and puree. Drizzle oils in with motor running. Cover tightly and store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:00 PM

My Family Estate South Pasadena

My grandma's house back in 1948, Built in 1908, Possibly 1904. 1313 Garfield Ave. South Pasadena, CA. - John E. Marble Jr. Estate. Originally part of Rancho San Pascual (Mexican land grant).

I have never been able to find any photos of the home prior to my grandfather (who owned El Leon De Oro Cantina previously known as Pontrellis Ballroom and before that Korbel Hall, 1866 E 1st St. In Boyle Heights) buying the very large estate in 1975.

Other odds and ends I know from internet research (and mail we still get) is the original owner John Emerson Marble Jr. a Doctor of Law who attended Stanford, lived in the house with his wife a prominent collector of silverware (which is now housed at the nearby Huntington Library) and their daughter.

John Emerson Marble Jr. was also the son of a Colonel, John M. C. Marble who served as one of the founding members of The National Bank of California and John Jr, later becoming vice president. via The Banking Law Journal, Volume 20

Would love to know more as I know my family owning the home is prob soon to come to an end as my grandmother gets older and the home is just much too big. Would love to see if anyone can help find more information or pictures! - Victor

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 7:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorAtomic View Post

Victor
By looking at current Google maps it appears that the original property has been sliced and diced into many smaller parcels which are now the sites for several newer private homes. Its hard to be sure but its at least 3 lots and maybe a couple more. Things always change with the passage of Time. Thanks Victor for posting this interesting story.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
By looking at current Google maps it appears that the original property has been sliced and diced into many smaller parcels which are now the sites for several newer private homes. Its hard to be sure but its at least 3 lots and maybe a couple more. Things always change with the passage of Time. Thanks Victor for posting this interesting story.

Yeah, Its been dramatically reduced. Until recently the old driveway was still intact on our neighbor's property and another neighbor cut into our water line when he was digging a pit for a new pool to be installed. Turned out our water was being funneled in from his property after all these years. His blueprints didn't even register that water line.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorAtomic View Post

My grandma's house back in 1948, Built in 1908, Possibly 1904. 1313 Garfield Ave. South Pasadena, CA. - John E. Marble Jr. Estate. Originally part of Rancho San Pascual (Mexican land grant).

I have never been able to find any photos of the home prior to my grandfather (who owned El Leon De Oro Cantina previously known as Pontrellis Ballroom and before that Korbel Hall, 1866 E 1st St. In Boyle Heights) buying the very large estate in 1975.

Other odds and ends I know from internet research (and mail we still get) is the original owner John Emerson Marble Jr. a Doctor of Law who attended Stanford, lived in the house with his wife a prominent collector of silverware (which is now housed at the nearby Huntington Library) and their daughter.

John Emerson Marble Jr. was also the son of a Colonel, John M. C. Marble who served as one of the founding members of The National Bank of California and John Jr, later becoming vice president. via The Banking Law Journal, Volume 20

Would love to know more as I know my family owning the home is prob soon to come to an end as my grandmother gets older and the home is just much too big. Would love to see if anyone can help find more information or pictures! - Victor
Oh wow, I drive by this house all the time. Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing that!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 8:54 PM

Here's a clearer vintage view of 1313 Garfield Avenue - this one's from 1937.

The full image appears to show the remnants of a fruit grove to the south east (I've arrowed 1313). It's gone by the 1948 image at Historic Aerials.

mil.library.ucsb.edu
Flight ID: C-4666, Frame: 86, Date: August 10, 1937.

I think that the house in the dense trees of the fruit grove (the one with the long driveway) survives as 1460 Avonrea Road.

GSV

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Here's a clearer vintage view of 1313 Garfield Avenue - this one's from 1937.

The full image appears to show the remnants of a fruit grove to the south east (I've arrowed 1313). It's gone by the 1948 image at Historic Aerials.

mil.library.ucsb.edu
Flight ID: C-4666, Frame: 86, Date: August 10, 1937.

I think that the house in the dense trees of the fruit grove (the one with the long driveway) survives as 1460 Avonrea Road.

GSV
Wow, thank you for that!!! Such clear aerials! I also see that there is another grand house directly across the street that is no longer there. Wish I had a time machine.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
:[...]

GSV
I think the white roses in the landscaping are variety 'Iceberg'.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Looking through the linked Blue Palm Cafe posts, I did not see this picture. It shows part of the cafe at 6124 Hollywood Blvd.
in 1951 when the Music Box was the Guild Theater.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
This is great find Noir Noir!

When we discussed Blue Palm Cafe earlier (in 2015), no one was able to find a photograph of the cafe actually in the Music Box Theater building.
(to be honest, I thought it would have been on the right side of the building) I had the street numbers going up instead of down.....

let's look at the napkin one last time.
ebay

What did ya'll think of the poem?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 14, 2018 at 11:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:39 PM

re: Morrie Kaplin

detail

Could this be the same.....Morrie Kaplan?

June 26, 1952: Marilyn Monroe poses for photographers during trial against Jerry Karpman and Morrie Kaplan.

The two men tried to sell “indecent” photos of young women including Marilyn Monroe.

A story in the June 27, 1952 Los Angeles Times explained:

"After actress Marilyn Monroe indignantly denied that she had penned come-on letters to promote the sale of “art studies”
advertised as featuring her, two men who traded on her name were found guilty yesterday on five of nine misdemeanor charges against them.

Municipal Judge Kenneth L. Holaday returned the guilty verdict against Jerry Karpman, 46, photographer, and Morrie Kaplan, 32, salesman,
after the onetime calendar girl denied she had every met them.

Miss Monroe examined some of the prosecution evidence, including handwritten letters signed with her name.
The letters bore a printed return address, also bearing her name."

Karpman got 30 days in City Jail and Kaplan 60 days and each was placed on two years’ probation.

Read more at LATimes

__

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
:
[...]
let's look at the napkin one last time.
ebay

What did ya'll think of the poem?
__
With perfect meter, perfect rhyme,
I'm sure the poet spent some time.
It seems to drink he thinks we ought to--
You game for us to get all blotto?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:33 PM

12,300 Valentine, Friendship, and Devotional Ephemera

Paper Valentines spanning three centuries of optimism about romance have been delivered to the Huntington Library, Art Collections
and Botanical Gardens in San Marino, Calif. on February 12, 2018. The collection was assembled over four decades. NYTimes

NYTimes

The institution expects to start preserving and cataloguing the Rosin Collection this year, with research access soon to follow.Huntington.org

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYONE!
from ethereal reality

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 14, 2018 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:59 PM

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
E_R, I don't think we ever figured out the Blue Palm Cafe on the street corner.

In this post of mine HERE, with other photos and help from HossC, we pretty much nailed down a Blue Palm Cafe at 6124 Hollywood Blvd. but we weren't successful with the Blue Palm Cafe on the corner.

I wrote in that post:

So, if the Blue Palm Cafe address is 6124 (as is the Blue Palms Brewhouse) it is on the left side of the building (with the Music Box/Pix/Fonda et al in the center) then we still have the mystery of the original photo posted by E_R of the Blue Palm Cafe on the right side of a building (same one?) and decidedly different signage.

To make matters more confusing, that drawing on the napkin doesn't look like either of the two buildings in the photos to me.
This might help with the Blue Palm Cafe on the corner - 6066 Hollywood Blvd.

From a post on a Facebook group which covers the history of Hollywood Legion Stadium. The post has some more information on the cafe(s) and it's owners Hugh Nichols (Promoter/Matchmaker at the Legion Stadium) and Morrie Kaplan. So two Blue Palm Cafes with locations close to each other. Did 6124 replace 6066 circa 1950/51 or did they operate concurrently for some period?

https://www.facebook.com/HollywoodLe...17560464971345

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:06 AM
I Like Turtles!

Just a Little Fun.

Quote:
previous: Billy McGee's Club Willie-Willie,

EBAY

1904 S. Robertson today / BUILT in 1954.

gsv

I doubt we'll ever know what Club Willie-Willie looked like.

__
Well, whatever it looked like back in the day....I'm sure it didn't look like this!

gsv

(Sorry....I just couldn't resist! )

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 2:32 AM

lol. Very creative AlbanyNY!

...oh my, I just noticed you changed the cars too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

I believe that's the Don Jose de Arnaz ranch house. Robertson Blvd. was originally Arnaz, if I remember correctly.
The house was on the west side, about halfway between Hamilton High and Airdrome Street.

Cheviothillshistory.org has an old article and other information on the Arnaz ranch house. In addition to photos
of the house, in one of the photos you can see the squat barn in the rear and a bit of the water tank tower.
Thanks so much for indentifying that forlorn farm FW.

Here's a small bit of extra information.

June 27, 1905

Los Angeles Herald, 27 June 1905

Do you think that could be the Hauser Packing Company water tower on the horizon?

from the link provided by FW

squint, and you'll see it.

detail

This photograph is especially intriguing.
from 1939

Photo text: In this bed stayed visiting notables. In it also was born Eliberto Arnaz, last of Don Jose’s 18 children.
Penciled on the wall beside the bed are cartoons labeled “The Hated Kaiser” and “The Guy with the Loud Shirt.”
On other cracked walls are scribblings and records of accounts.

I don't understand who is writing on the walls? Did the farm house sit empty for a number of years before the Minorini family moved in? (see below)

The Arnaz farmhouse was inhabitied by the Minorini family in the 1930s.

"For the past 14 years the C. Minorini family has occupied the ‘‘palace,” as Mrs. Minorini terms it.
When they moved in the bats and spiders moved out. They spent $700 making the lower floor habitable
by covering the walls with plasterboard, putting in window glass, and installing plumbing, electric lights and gas.

"The six bedrooms on the second floor are empty except for a massive bedstead.
Mrs. Minorini said Abraham Lincoln was supposed to have slept in the bed – but Lincoln was dead
before the house was built. Certain it is, however, that many notables visiting Los Angeles stayed in the old house
and used the bed."

"A gold moulding, as bright as the day it was put into place, runs around the ceiling of the front bedroom.
This room with its many-shuttered bay window was occupied by Senora Maria Camarillo y Arnaz herself.
She used to say that from her window she could see every light in Los Angeles and could count them all."

from the The Beverly Hills Citizen, June 23, 1939

oh, & one last thing:
Does anyone know what “The Guy with the Loud Shirt” is in reference to? (written on the bedroom wall)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 15, 2018 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:08 AM

Quote:

Do you think that could be the Hauser Packing Company water tower on the horizon?

That photo faces west, and I'm pretty sure the Hauser Packing Company -- before moving to East 11th Street and
Santa Fe Avenue -- was to the east near what is now Hauser Blvd. and Venice Blvd.

I wish I knew more about the Arnaz house, e_r. But I'll take a wild guess and say the water tower belongs to the
Hillcrest Country Club.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:13 AM

Couldn't resist

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY

Fatty and Mabel Adrift (1916)

LOVE, MABEL

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 4:47 AM

Photobucket again

As of 8:43 p.m, PST on February 14, 2018, Photobucket is no longer displaying the vast majority of my photos or HossC's.
Our posts have images of cats with the note "photo not found." Please be assured the problem with displaying the photos is
with Photobucket.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos