HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 6:37 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Sli...3D162086846568

I found the "mystery image" on a kodachrome page. The tag says:
S Kingsley Dr, between 3rd & 4th, Los Angeles, 1940s

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:08 PM

Which 'mystery' photo WCFTM? -your link shows gigabyte thingys & such.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:18 PM

'mystery' wooden footbridge.

eBay / SOLD May 2014.

I'm doubly curious about this small 'shelter'. (i believe there are steps leading up to it)

detail

The only wooden pedestrian bridge that comes to mind is the one that stretched between Spring and Broadway over the Cornfield Yards north of downtown.

this one.

https://lacreekfreak.wordpress.com/tag/cornfield/

& it ain't it.
__

I'm outta' town for a few days. Have fun noirishers!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 7:19 PM

[URL="http://67.media.tumblr.com/aaeec5a9553db89c56d6b12b329f7f2b/tumblr_o85zts1FDo1ruy2n6o1_500.jpg"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Which 'mystery' photo WCFTM? -your ebay link just shows gigabyte thingys & such.
Sorry, I've been on the site for a few years but this is my first time posting. It's kind of a wayback machine on here. I will eventually figure it out.
Here is a link to the photo on the kodachrome site:

[URL="http://67.media.tumblr.com/aaeec5a9553db89c56d6b12b329f7f2b/tumblr_o85zts1FDo1ruy2n6o1_500.jpg"]

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeCanFixThisMess View Post

I found the "mystery image" on a kodachrome page. The tag says:
S Kingsley Dr, between 3rd & 4th, Los Angeles, 1940s
WeCanFixThisMess is referring to this image from a few days ago.

Quote:

'mystery' location just found on eBay.

"Original Slide, Los Angeles CA, Street Scene 1940s"

I'm definitely going to need some help in figuring out the location.

-hopefully someone recognizes the buildings on the right--------> up there
The building at 320-326 S Kingsley Drive is still there, but the view above is now blocked by the building on the right. The apartments were built in 1920.

GSV

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 8:05 PM

Quote:
'mystery' wooden footbridge.

eBay / SOLD May 2014.

I'm doubly curious about this small 'shelter'. (i believe there are steps leading up to it)

detail

The only wooden pedestrian bridge that comes to mind is the one that stretched between Spring and Broadway over the Cornfield Yards north of downtown.

this one.

https://lacreekfreak.wordpress.com/tag/cornfield/

& it ain't it.
__

I'm outta' town for a few days. Have fun noirishers!
This is Seminary stop, named for Dominguez Seminary (out of the picture to the right) in Compton. We're looking north on the Long Beach line toward what today would be the Artesia (SR 91) Freeway. Alameda St. is a bit further east.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 8:09 PM

....if you're still looking for her in the group, here she is circled.

The article doesn't say, but Ralph Waldo Emerson Jr. High is located on Selby Avenue in Santa Monica. (directly behind the massive Mormon Temple)

google_aerial

I haven't decided yet which building the students were posed in front of.

__[/QUOTE]

im pretty sure its near the main entrance. I went to Webster but was suppose to go to Emerson, most of my friends did go, and from what i remembered about EJH was the hallways were very low, especially on the second floor of the main building. Webster had an outdoor hallway system and although a decade or so newer than EJH the Auditorium was the same.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 12:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
This is Seminary stop, named for Dominguez Seminary (out of the picture to the right) in Compton. We're looking north on the Long Beach line toward what today would be the Artesia (SR 91) Freeway. Alameda St. is a bit further east.

Originally posted by ER

This view is looking south towards San Pedro.

The railroad bridge is at the lower right. The Seminary Stop shelter is just out of the picture at the lower right.

The Dominguez Adobe is at the top....the Claretian Seminary is opposite it.

I've been inside all of these buildings. The chapel is in the center, dorms and classrooms are at each flanking end of the Seminary building.

Water&Power

Dr. Gregorio Del Amo is flanked by Claretian priests at the 1927 opening of the Dominguez Memorial Seminary in 1927.

(Photo: Del Amo Estate Company)

Seminary chapel

latinmass LA

Historical notes:

Upon Manuel’s death in 1882, and the passing of his wife one year later, the Rancho lands were partitioned among his six surviving children, all daughters. Three of the married daughters continued the Dominguez legacy through the Carson, Del Amo and Watson families.

All of the daughters made major donations to the construction of St. Vibiana’s, the former Cathedral in downtown Los Angeles. In 1922, the two remaining daughters, Susana Del Amo and Reyes Dominguez, deeded seventeen acres adjacent to the family home to the Claretian Missionaries. In 1924, the Claretian Missionaries began using the adobe home as a graduate school for Claretians and later as a seminary. In recognition of this contribution to the Claretians, special arrangements were made to allow Susana and Gregorio Del Amo to be buried in a crypt beneath the altar of the chapel located in the modern day Claretian retirement home.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 10, 2016 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
I think they are functionally the same. The weight is on the business end and the spring is in the handle, so the weight can be snapped out and back with a flick of the wrist. The idea is to deliver a concussion without cracking the skull. No raised truncheons to excite a crowd, just a guy dropping quietly at your feet. ("Move along folks, nothing to see here.") There's a great shot of Steve McQueen sapping a cop in the original "Thomas Crown Affair."

I kid you not, my dad was trained in its use by the FBI. (Because of interstate commerce, most railroad Special Agents were close to the feds -- and formally federalized during WWII.)

Cheers,

Earl
When I was a boy we had a blackjack my father had bought during WWII. He was an Army Air Force officer and once had to ramrod a trainload of GIs in India. For some reason, soldiers got especially rowdy on trains, like they thought the rules were off while you were rolling. A more experienced officer recommended that my dad get a blackjack and if any soldier gave him grief, drop him quick without argument and the rest would give him no trouble. He said it worked. I don't know where he bought it, maybe off an MP or maybe Quartermaster Stores carried them for MPs.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
....if you're still looking for her in the group, here she is circled.

The article doesn't say, but Ralph Waldo Emerson Jr. High is located on Selby Avenue in Santa Monica. (directly behind the massive Mormon Temple)

google_aerial

I haven't decided yet which building the students were posed in front of.

__
im pretty sure its near the main entrance. I went to Webster but was suppose to go to Emerson, most of my friends did go, and from what i remembered about EJH was the hallways were very low, especially on the second floor of the main building. Webster had an outdoor hallway system and although a decade or so newer than EJH the Auditorium was the same.[/QUOTE]

She didn't end up very far away, her final resting place at the Westwood cemetery is only about a 5 block walk away

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 7:36 PM

WeCanFixThisMess and HossC, thanks for pinpointing the
location of E_R's c. 1940's mystery slide at 320-326 S Kingsley Drive.

This slide brings up an interesting question: What makes a good photo? I can't for anything think why someone actually took this photo. At face value it's not really that good a picture. What was the photographer trying to capture? There's nothing really centered in it and none of the buildings are completely captured, the cars at the time of the photo would be incidental. (Can anyone date the cars to know if this was during WWII or afterwards?) There's no hint of movement--no people or pets (or is that someone sitting on the steps in front of the house across the street?), no drivers on the road, no wind movement, etc. Was the intention simply for the landscaping?

Having said all that it's completely intriguing. It has the feel of something happening, or about to happen, and yet none of that is actually there. Then there's that slight fog or haze (or smog?) infused lighting in it. I have no way of knowing, but I get the feeling it was taken very early in the morning. The look has a damp feeling to me. The color is perfect. A good picture partly just comes from our own sensibilities and interests; makes us feel or think of things, not just for informational purposes. This unremarkable, but remarkable photograph sold for $40, so it's certainly getting attention; inviting us into it's world, that's so near and yet impossibly far, and inspiring more than the photographer probably ever envisioned with sentiments that I, too, feel, like this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
I'm afraid I can't help ID the location of the image, er. But as sometimes happens here, I profoundly wish I could step through my monitor's screen - in period costume, of course - into that scene and then just keep going.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 8:57 PM

I think the fact that the present day viewer of this picture probably knows the area where the picture was taken, lends a lot of interest to the viewing experience. The transformation of the area is rather complete, and it is just a little astonishing to see this earlier (but not all that early) incarnation of the 300 block of S. Kingsley. I used to live a few blocks north on S. Ardmore, and this is certainly not the S. Kingsley I knew circa 1980-85. I love these color pictures of LA from the late 1940s.

I just googled the address. It appears that several of the pre WW2 buildings still survive on this block headed headed south towards Wilshire. Most of that area was built over into large three or four story apartment blocks back in the 1960s. Still there is a vastly different feel to this block today as compared to the picture. https://www.google.com/maps/place/32...2a9852!6m1!1e1

Last edited by austlar1; Jun 10, 2016 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 11:13 PM

previous:

Oh you used to live near there? Somewhere in my mind it seems I had a friend who lived on that street briefly before I really new him. That street name rings a very vague bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I love these color pictures of LA from the late 1940s.
I do, too! Hurray for the computer for bringing zillions of otherwise unseen photos to our attention, and eBay for even more of them we'd ikely never see...and E_R for finding a lot of them.

I remember on a blog post sometime where the blogger posted an old WWII era photograph that her father had in his possession and showed her, and after numerous comments she remarked how there's so many photos like it that have perhaps been seen by two or three family members over the years since they were taken, then they get posted on the internet and they can be seen immediately by any number of people. One of the good things about the internet!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
This view is looking south towards San Pedro.

The railroad bridge is at the lower right. The Seminary Stop shelter is just out of the picture at the lower right.

The Dominguez Adobe is at the top....the Claretian Seminary is opposite it.

I've been inside all of these buildings. The chapel is in the center, dorms and classrooms are at each flanking end of the Seminary building.

Water&Power

Historical notes:

Upon Manuel’s death in 1882, and the passing of his wife one year later, the Rancho lands were partitioned among his six surviving children, all daughters. Three of the married daughters continued the Dominguez legacy through the Carson, Del Amo and Watson families.

All of the daughters made major donations to the construction of St. Vibiana’s, the former Cathedral in downtown Los Angeles. In 1922, the two remaining daughters, Susana Del Amo and Reyes Dominguez, deeded seventeen acres adjacent to the family home to the Claretian Missionaries. In 1924, the Claretian Missionaries began using the adobe home as a graduate school for Claretians and later as a seminary. In recognition of this contribution to the Claretians, special arrangements were made to allow Susana and Gregorio Del Amo to be buried in a crypt beneath the altar of the chapel located in the modern day Claretian retirement home.
Hello, First timer here... long time lurker on this spectacular forum where countless hours have been spent losing myself in the past. Regarding the Dominguez Adobe and bridge, the Carson Public Library's "Aviation Room" contains a nifty diorama offering an interesting overview of the area as it commemorates the nearby 1910 Dominquez Air Meet.

http://www.colapublib.org/history/gi...access/10b.jpg

Image link above from the Carson Public Library
[Courtesy of the Dominguez Ranch Adobe Museum]

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 12:24 AM

Thanks CityBoyDoug and StudioCityGuy!

That's the trestle all right.

from SCG's link

http://www.colapublib.org/history/gi...access/10b.jpg

here's my 'mystery' pic one more time.

eBay

Welcome to the thread StudioCityGuy

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 11, 2016 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
previous:

Oh you used to live near there? Somewhere in my mind it seems I had a friend who lived on that street briefly before I really new him. That street name rings a very vague bell.

I do, too! Hurray for the computer for bringing zillions of otherwise unseen photos to our attention, and eBay for even more of them we'd ikely never see...and E_R for finding a lot of them.

I remember on a blog post sometime where the blogger posted an old WWII era photograph that her father had in his possession and showed her, and after numerous comments she remarked how there's so many photos like it that have perhaps been seen by two or three family members over the years since they were taken, then they get posted on the internet and they can be seen immediately by any number of people. One of the good things about the internet!
Yeah, I owned a home from 1979 to 1985 in the 200 block of South Ardmore, a 1908 Craftsman. The neighborhood was transitioning into Korea Town North at the time, but it was the most ethnically diverse street (and neighborhood) I have ever encountered anywhere. I explored all over that part of town and also downtown on my bike as often as I could. I kind of fell in love with the Noir ambience of pre-WW2 Los Angeles as a result of living in that neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 2:34 AM

I've often wondered about this building that's situated on a wedge of land at Sunset Blvd. and Golden Gate Avenue.

gsv

Well lo and behold, earlier today on eBay I found this Geo. E. Spain postcard that shows the building in 1922.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPPC-Los-Ang...8AAOSwuhhXVMoQ

I never expected to find a vintage postcard of this building!

here's the reverse with sentiment

If you venture around back, there are some old timey windows facing Golden Gate Ave.

gsv

__
for search purposes:
Geo E. Spain Bldg. 3505 Sunset Blvd./ Sam Seelig Market / Birch's Pharmacy

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 11, 2016 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 3:03 AM

and there's this...

eBay

seller's description:
"1950 Los Angeles Transit Railway CA #460 'N' Line East of Vermont."

Can anyone pinpoint the exact location of this photo?

__

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 3:22 AM

Recently we had some images of the Santa Fe Hospital. Just to add to the NLA collection, here are two postcard pix of it from my archives. I had originally planned to include them in an "episode" of my Visit to Old Los Angeles and Environs (the orphanage episode), but had already become wary of making the site too elephantine, so trimmed out a lot of things which otherwise would be on one episode or another.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 3:27 AM

Quote:
I've often wondered about this building that's situated on a wedge of land at Sunset Blvd. and Golden Gate Avenue.

gsv

Well lo and behold, earlier today on eBay I found this Geo. E. Spain postcard that shows the building in 1922.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPPC-Los-Ang...8AAOSwuhhXVMoQ

I never expected to find a vintage postcard of this building...I'm delighted!
Wow, another great find, e_r!

Thanks to EW and WW regarding the railroad trestles in the Fields film.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos