HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
"Guy on the bench is likely holding a Racing Form and waiting for the eastbound car headed for Santa Anita. Looks like he's been there before.
Little red beret on the bench and the white bunny slippers under it were left by Dorothy Adamson when she dropped her coffee and scurried home
after hearing the bomb blast. Poor thing."

Great deduction MR. (esp. the part about Dorothy and the explosion!) lol

I was looking closely at the man last night. I couldn't figure out what he's holding. (besides the newspaper/racing forms and a pencil)

I thought perhaps it was a pair of better shoes than the dusty black ones he was wearing...
and once he got to the office, he was going to switch them out. (they appear to be brown, so they match better too)

detail

But now I agree with you about the Santa Anita Race Track scenario.

....maybe he was going to meet this woman?

ebay

Wait a minute, she's at Hollywood Park Race Track.

She took the wrong train!

__
All kidding aside, he looks like he's holding a uniform cap and isn't that a motorman's pouch he's got in his lap? Didn't they carry their own control arm/handle in a pouch like that? The white headed woman is clearly a tout.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:02 PM

I think this is an interesting photograph.

Alan Weeks via https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolibraryarchive/

"A Pacific Electric car near the Tujunga Wash. A 1938 flood washed out the Pacific Electric's bridge over the wash, forcing it to share tracks with the Union Pacific's until 1952."

Well I've been trying to figure out where these tracks were located using google_earth. (and perhaps find the remnants of the old washed out bridge)

-easier said than done. I don't see any tracks anywhere.

google_earth

Does anyone have a R.R. map of this area before the flood?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 7, 2016 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:04 PM

Thanks for the laughs today, E_R and MR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
NAVY Uniforms:

White - 6 summer months...April through September, depending on local command regulations.

Blue - 6 winter months.

This has been the Navy tradition for over 250 years, USA and worldwide.
CBD, would it come under "local command regulations" that I don't recall ever seeing any photographs of World War II Hawaii where the sailors were wearing the blue uniforms?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Didn't motormen carry their own control arm/handle in a pouch like that?
Is that true? Why would they carry around their own control arm? I'm unable to think of one good reason why they'd do this.

sidenote:
I don't think it was very nice calling that poor woman a trout.
_

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:15 PM

I keep coming across this photograph in an old file of mine. I haven't posted it because I don't have any information.

old file

If you look closely there's writing along the bottom, but it's indecipherable.

At first glance, I thought this was a dilapidated Lugo House.

and isn't that the Plaza in the foreground (like the Lugo house)

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 7, 2016 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:21 PM

Quote:

"A Pacific Electric car near the Tujunga Wash. A 1938 flood washed out the Pacific Electric's bridge over the wash, forcing it to share tracks with the Union Pacific's until 1952."

Well I've been trying to figure out where these tracks were located using google_earth. (and perhaps find the remnants of the old washed out bridge)

That picture is also available at pacificelectric.org. One of the comments by David Coscia says:
"PE 5132 is eastbound (technically inbound, note the front trolley pole is locked down). The streetcar is at Hollywood Park station, located about one-half mile west of North Hollywood station and depot. The streetcar has just transitioned from the single-track section along Chandler Boulevard and is entering the double-track section."
Chandler Boulevard goes horizontally through this 1952 aerial view, with part of Tujunga Wash going diagonally.

Historic Aerials

Here's a wider view of the area today, with the Hollywood Freeway running parallel to the wash (Google Maps names it as "Central Branch Tujunga Wash" if you zoom in).

Google Maps

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:

google_earth

Does anyone have a R.R. map of this area before the flood?

__
It's the PE San Fernando Valley line.
Look west of the North Hollywood/Lankershim depot.
Although SP has been merged into UP, this aint UP
The depot was built by SP
THe PE came over Cahenga Pass and up Lankershim, turned west paralleling the SP trackBeyond where SP turned north, then west to Van Nuys, PE went all the way to VAn Nuys Bl . PE service beyond 'North SHerman Way' terminated in 1938 before the flood. The tracks remained in place to San Fernando to provide electric return for a short amount of trackage to serve packing houses. The bridge washout was next to the SP down along Chandler BLvd, and PE put wire on the SP track to avoid rebuilding the bridge. In 1938 the tracks west on Sherman Way to Canoga Park were abandoned as well.
NOW you can get on google and look for streets in the Van Nuys area that join cross streets with a 90 degree curve- Parthenia is one IIRC.
But watch out, there is a street like that west of Topanga Cyn Bl in CAnoga park, joining Sherman Way to Shoup. The cuve is named SHoup P{lace. Paul Shoup was the president of PE, but as far as the PE detectives can find, no track was laid that far west

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:38 PM

Quote:

I keep coming across this photograph in an old file of mine. I haven't posted it because I don't have any information.

old file

If you look closely there's writing along the bottom, but it's indecipherable.

At first glance, I thought this was a dilapidated Lugo House.

and isn't that the Plaza in the foreground (like the Lugo house)
After a bit of searching I found the same picture at thesource.metro.net with the caption "Benjamin Wilson’s home later became the Los Angeles Orphan’s Asylum, ca 1900.". The Boyle Heights History blog about the Los Angeles Orphans' Asylum says "Interestingly, the Wilson house was a frame one brought to Los Angeles in sections by New York via ship around Cape Horn."

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:38 PM

"PE 5132 is eastbound (technically inbound, note the front trolley pole is locked down). The streetcar is at Hollywood Park station, located about one-half mile west of North Hollywood station and depot. The streetcar has just transitioned from the single-track section along Chandler Boulevard and is entering the double-track section."
-HossC

"It's the PE San Fernando Valley line.
THe PE came over Cahenga Pass and up Lankershim, turned west paralleling the SP trackBeyond where SP turned north, then west to Van Nuys, PE went all the way to VAn Nuys Bl . PE service beyond 'North SHerman Way' terminated in 1938 before the flood. The tracks remained in place to San Fernando to provide electric return for a short amount of trackage to serve packing houses. The bridge washout was next to the SP down along Chandler BLvd, and PE put wire on the SP track to avoid rebuilding the bridge. In 1938 the tracks west on Sherman Way to Canoga Park were abandoned as well.
NOW you can get on google and look for streets in the Van Nuys area that join cross streets with a 90 degree curve- Parthenia is one IIRC.
But watch out, there is a street like that west of Topanga Cyn Bl in CAnoga park, joining Sherman Way to Shoup. The cuve is named SHoup P{lace. Paul Shoup was the president of PE, but as far as the PE detectives can find, no track was laid that far west"
-EW

Thanks HossC and Ed Workman. I appreciate the information.

_

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 10:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Thanks for the laughs today, E_R and MR.

CBD, would it come under "local command regulations" that I don't recall ever seeing any photographs of World War II Hawaii where the sailors were wearing the blue uniforms?
Correct Martin. Since Hawaii is very tropical I assume they would never wear the winter Blue Uniform.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
"Benjamin Wilson’s home later became the Los Angeles Orphan’s Asylum, ca 1900.".
So this ramshackled place was the city orphanage before the huge orphanage was built out on the hill in Boyle Heights?

Here's Benjamin Wilson with his second wife around 1860.

http://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpresse...doc.view=print

"Benjamin Davis Wilson, known as Don Benito in pre-American Southern California, shaped Los Angeles and California history in a remarkable number of ways. He:

Owned what is today Beverly Hills, UCLA, large parts of downtown Los Angeles, the City of Riverside, Culver City, Wilmington, Pasadena, Altadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, Alhambra and parts of other cities and was one of the wealthiest persons in early Los Angeles
Set up American Government locally as the first county clerk of Los Angeles County.
Was the second mayor of Los Angeles. He sat on the first year’s Los Angeles city council.
Was on the Los Angeles County board of supervisors
Was the state senator for everything between Tulare County and the Mexican border.
Led Americans in the first battle of the Mexican War, as a captain in the U.S. Army
Was in the first party of overland settlers to reach Southern California
Was a successful mountain man
Named the Bear Lake area, while leading the first group of non-Indians into the San Bernardino mountains.
Was the first Indian Agent in Southern California
Took Chief Cabazon prisoner at present-day Palm Springs while hunting down renegade Indians
Owned gold and silver mines in Southern (yes, Southern) California
Was president of the first railroad in Los Angeles
Was on the board of the first oil company in Los Angeles
Was one of the largest vintners in the U.S.
Was one of the largest citrus growers in the U.S.
Was the first to bottle sparkling wine (champagne) in California
Started the first manufacturing plant in Los Angeles
Played an important role in the development of the Los Angeles port.
Started the predecessor college to USC
Built a trail to the peak that bears his name today, Mount Wilson."

from
http://www.natread.com/donbenito

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 11:04 PM

"Original Photograph, unnamed California Oil Refinery ca.1921"

eBay

I like the short stubby guy, he looks like a load of fun.

Can you find the fifth man in the photo?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
-HossC

"It's the PE San Fernando Valley line.
But watch out, there is a street like that west of Topanga Cyn Bl in CAnoga park, joining Sherman Way to Shoup. The cuve is named SHoup P{lace. Paul Shoup was the president of PE, but as far as the PE detectives can find, no track was laid that far west"
-EW

Thanks HossC and Ed Workman. I appreciate the information.

_
Ed Workman, could the washed-out PE bridge over the Tujunga Wash be the same one you described as possibly being
what was shown in screencaps I posted from W. C. Fields' Man on the Flying Trapeeze (1935)?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:34 AM

We've seen the Googies Coffee Shop in the San Carlos Hotel numerous times on NLA, but this view is a new one for us.

eBay

Look at that little San Carlos cocktail lounge

-also note the 'Temple Church' sign at the bottom of the bright yellow blade sign at far right.---> I've never noticed that before.

Here's that bus photo I posted earlier that also showed a portion of the old German Church around the corner on Olive.
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=32217

Here's downtown Googies, without a bus blocking the view.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20761

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 8, 2016 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 1:55 AM

Just for fun, here's a screen-grab from an episode of 'The Incredible Hulk' (1979).

I thought this might help date the previous photograph,up there.

below: -note the San Carlos cocktail lounge has lost it's large multi-colored lettering, and it's windows have be enlarged.(perhaps it isn't a bar at this point in time)
and I believe the 'Temple Church' sign is missing from the bottom of the blade sign on the old auditorium building.

Quote:
Here is a view of the downtown Googie's (5th and Olive) from an angle that we usually don't see.

1979 episode of "The Incredible Hulk".

https://plus.google.com/wm/trollface...explore/googie

That exhaust duct sticks out like a sore thumb.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 8, 2016 at 1:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Ed Workman, could the washed-out PE bridge over the Tujunga Wash be the same one you described as possibly being
what was shown in screencaps I posted from W. C. Fields' Man on the Flying Trapeeze (1935)?
No I don't think so. As HossC said, the track was single, not double as depicted. Also, IIRC it was a trestle, but the one in the pic is 2-3 times longer.
So where was the trestle in the Fields movie?
I struggle with that.
MAYBE it was south of North Hollywood at Rio Vista

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 4:18 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;7466419] Is that true? Why would they carry around their own control arm? I'm unable to think of one good reason why they'd do this.

MOTORMEN CARRIED A GRIP IN WHICH THEY CARRIED THE CONTROLLER HANDLE AND THE REVERSER KEY
oTHERWISE IT WAS LIKE LEAVING YOUR IGNITION KEY IN THE IGNITION SWITCH

OOPS NOT YELLING, JUST CLUMSY

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 8:33 AM

Hey all, has it been mentioned that USC is digitizing the City Archives, including films? Go here http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/la...n/p15799coll88 and take a look.

I mean, the first thing they show in this movie from the CRA is color film footage of the Rochester, and it just gets more insane from there. The largely undocumented Temple-Beaudry area sure gives Bunker Hill a run for its money.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=Ed Workman;7466952]
Quote:
Is that true? Why would they carry around their own control arm? I'm unable to think of one good reason why they'd do this.

MOTORMEN CARRIED A GRIP IN WHICH THEY CARRIED THE CONTROLLER HANDLE AND THE REVERSER KEY
oTHERWISE IT WAS LIKE LEAVING YOUR IGNITION KEY IN THE IGNITION SWITCH

OOPS NOT YELLING, JUST CLUMSY
As a kid, I'd see the motormen change out from time to time and the one guy would remove his 'handle' and step off the car, maybe exchange a few words with his relief who would then step aboard and place his own control handle on the shaft and off we'd go. Also saw, but can't really remember the particulars, the motorman remove his handle at one end of the car, walk the length of it, reconnect it to the shaft at the far end and we'd go the other way. Never really thought about it much but without that handle the car couldn't be moved. The reverse key, as I remember was kept on a chain attached to the guy's belt. He couldn't really move around without taking it with him. As for military uniforms, in the Marine Corps we pretty much mirrored what Doug has described as to the winter/summer rotation. All I can add is in tropical climes there were no winter uniforms. 'Tropicals' were year round.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Jun 8, 2016 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 2:51 PM

Around town with 5132

Our friend X2...

Quote:

__

Quote:
You're welcome MP.

'mystery' location #2.

http://www.ednasantiqueshop.com/holl...olley_line.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos