HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:26 AM

Question Public Meetings post COVID-19

One of my biggest gripes about the planning process is that many communities shunned the internet to gather more community feedback. The residents that showed up the planning board and city council meetings tended to be older, retired, and nothing else better to do than to rant about new developed.

It was biased against people who had jobs outside 9-5pm, which typically tend to be lower income or minority residents. With COVID-19, I noticed several communities finally embracing the internet, and it's helping level the playing field for those that wanted to contribute, but could not make the meetings. The meeting are recorded and accessible on YouTube. Residents can contribute via zoom or provide written comments via email or other electronic method whereas before they would have to speak in person to get on the record. It's a shame it took COVID-19 to make it happen.

How is your community adjusting and what are your thoughts?

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 2:20 AM

I attended a zoom meeting for bike lanes on 7th street in Downtown LA a month ago and there were 200 people (mostly younger) on the meeting, which is much better than who and how many could attend in person at 2 in the afternoon on a wed. I hope that moving forward, all meetings are in person AND on zoom to allow for the maximum reach.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions