HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 6:56 PM

Sorry guys still tryna get used to this

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
Sorry guys still tryna get used to this
Its fine

The last tower was an image of 111W57 but I guess it was taken down.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 7:16 PM

Chicago needs to put the cheese grater somewhere. This design can't just die

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darude_Sandstorm View Post

Chicago needs to put the cheese grater somewhere. This design can't just die
That building screams San Francisco. Such a great structure.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:03 PM

Are there any plots big enough to build that anymore, because I loved that building.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:16 PM

Maybe 130 Franklin? There are some very large parking garages in the Loop that I would to see replaced with something like this.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:18 PM

Truly, truly an impressive design . Every time I see it I want to storm the Bastille (City Hall) and enquire why this design was not promoted or encouraged to be built somewhere in downtown Chicago. It would add great contrast to the wonderful skyline that now exist. Hopefully 1000M gets restarted soon because it also adds greatly to the skyline especially at that location.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 9:15 PM
Urbane observer

^Um, because developers—not City Hall—decide what it makes most sense for them to build?

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
What's the last tower?
A dead proposal from the last construction boom known as 830 S. Michigan Ave.

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2012/...-michigan.html

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/23...chicago-il-usa

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^Um, because developers—not City Hall—decide what it makes most sense for them to build?
Yes with a little help or hindrance from City Hall. I don't have time or space to mention all the plans that have been changed or altered by powerful alderman and leadership in high places beginning with Trump Tower. Even though I would add many changes have also been beneficial.1000M itself has gone through a variation of changes as I believe it was first proposed as a Supertall, though I could be wrong. Developers propose what they would like to build, then others determine what you might build.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 11:47 PM

^
I don't want to take this thread too off topic but there's more to the Union Station redevelopment and how we ended with the current design. I believe Amtrak was looking to cash in on the land surrounding US and Rahm got behind the idea early on and pushed it through.

Around this time Sterling Bey came out with their vision (cheese grader tower) to replace the huge Amtrak garage. Soon after, an RFP went out for a team (architect/developer/equity) to lead the redevelopment of the Union Station. IIRC, one team included Jeanne Gang (don't recall the developer she partnered with), Sterling Bey/Skidmore, and Riverside Investment & Development partnering with Goettsch as they always do.

I remember reading Riverside won the competition due to their track record and equity partners which would guarantee the protect came to fruition which Rahm really wanted. Unfortunately, I believe Sterling Bey was just starting to become a big deal but wasn't there yet. Otherwise they might have won the competition and we could have ended up with the cheese grader Supertall. Btw, there was a similar (but smaller) cheese grader proposal for one of the parking lots on west Monroe which I liked even better design wise.

As for This proposal (1000M) I didn't care much for the original design either. Although it was taller, the base really bugged me, even more so than the base of the current tower. I'm still sad about Park Michigan though and think that was another great signature tower lost to the Great Recession.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
^
I don't want to take this thread too off topic but there's more to the Union Station redevelopment and how we ended with the current design. I believe Amtrak was looking to cash in on the land surrounding US and Rahm got behind the idea early on and pushed it through.

Around this time Sterling Bey came out with their vision (cheese grader tower) to replace the huge Amtrak garage. Soon after, an RFP went out for a team (architect/developer/equity) to lead the redevelopment of the Union Station. IIRC, one team included Jeanne Gang (don't recall the developer she partnered with), Sterling Bey/Skidmore, and Riverside Investment & Development partnering with Goettsch as they always do.

I remember reading Riverside won the competition due to their track record and equity partners which would guarantee the protect came to fruition which Rahm really wanted. Unfortunately, I believe Sterling Bey was just starting to become a big deal but wasn't there yet. Otherwise they might have won the competition and we could have ended up with the cheese grader Supertall. Btw, there was a similar (but smaller) cheese grader proposal for one of the parking lots on west Monroe which I liked even better design wise.

As for This proposal (1000M) I didn't care much for the original design either. Although it was taller, the base really bugged me, even more so than the base of the current tower. I'm still sad about Park Michigan though and think that was another great signature tower lost to the Great Recession.
Do you have any pics of the other cheese grater design? And what's the story with Park Michigan? I've never heard anything about that building.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 1:01 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
I don't have time or space to mention all the plans that have been changed or altered by powerful alderman and leadership in high places
But this is not one of them. In fact, there are very, very few examples of that downtown.

The mere existence of a rendering does not indicate that the developer thinks it will be profitable, that the engineering consultant thinks it will pass wind tunnel tests (that's one of the things that doomed the 830 proposal), or even that the architects are satisfied with the form.

1000M was approved exactly as it was presented to the alderman (Will Burns, on his way out the door, couldn't even be bothered to show up at the public meeting) and to the Landmarks Commission.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:26 PM

Staying at home

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 6:58 PM
DENNAB

Was the crane dismantled? Or was it never assembled in the first place?

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:11 PM

^It was never assembled. The job was put on hold the day before they were supposed to erect the tower crane.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:29 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
^It was never assembled. The job was put on hold the day before they were supposed to erect the tower crane.
Thanks, that seems like a bad omen

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:24 PM

You could also look at as they haven't removed the part of the crane that's there.

IDK, feels like things are loosening up a liiiitle bit. Maybe we'll know something by the end of the month.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
You could also look at as they haven't removed the part of the crane that's there.
Yeah but the same goes for the Bentham, and that crane hasn't lifted so much as a 2x4 in five months.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:52 AM

This is a cute update: https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...the-best-ever/

Quote:
Sawyer’s mom dropped a dime to the developers of what will eventually be a 74-story residential tower at 1000 South Michigan Avenue, and that message got passed on to McHugh Construction, which hung a 12-foot-tall “Happy Birthday Sawyer” banner from the roof of a nearby building so he could see it. McHugh also sent over a hardhat and an orange safety vest.
Now they have to finish it, right? Otherwise it will break this 7 year old's heart

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction