HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Do we know for sure this 1,000 number is purely consolidated or is a % of it consolidated and a % of it new hires?

From my limited understanding, it is all consolidation at this point. I heard that 500 of the 1000 are `new`to Uptown from other IO properties.

300 Union (the larger building) is JDI, whereas the smaller Golden Ball building is indeed IOL. This subject is something that I postured earlier on, because there are three buildings in the Uptown now that currently house IOL employees.

I wonder about their other properties too but IO typically doesn`t divest itself of buildings - possibly repurpose them into another function....don`t know what though.

On the other hand, one has to wonder about 91 King at King & Charlotte, as the property has been removed from Commercial Properties website. Unless i'm extremely slow and behind on news, it's no longer for sale.
Are you talking about the old Woolworths - I don`t believe that Commerical Properties owned that.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Honest question here.

I'm a big supporter of this building and it will certainly add a lot to the King's Square precinct. I think it will blend it extremely well with the Imperial Theatre and the Admiral Beatty.

BUT

Saint John already has a high office vacancy rate. What will it mean to the uptown area if 1,000 employees are consolidated into this new building? This could be a big hit on the commercial real estate market in the port city. What will happen to the "Golden Ball" building?

On CBC News last night, the President of IOL was saying that they do not know what they ill be doing with the Golden Ball building yet. They did mention however I that the building was actually A Parking Garage UP until the 1960's. Perhaps instead of possibly tearing it down (which could bean option, They could keep theft cade and turn it back into a parking garage for the employees at the new Home Office. Not ideal. But better than tearing it down if it were to come to that.

Regarding consolidation, it was also mentioned on CBC that they would becoming from the Golden Ball building, the Aliant Tower, Crown street and various buildings on Bayside Drive.

Regarding existing vacancy, I don't believe it's as bad as the media makes it out to be.Yes, overall it's high. But once you factor out undesirable Class "c" it's not As bad. Especially since Class" A" is what most companies of Any importance wants.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Are you talking about the old Woolworths - I don`t believe that Commerical Properties owned that.
http://www.partnersglobal.com/proper...et-saint-john/

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
Usually a mechanical penthouse is not considered a "floor" but it obviously adds physical height to the building
It takes in a fair portion. It kinda looks to me like the penthouse on top of the JDI building.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Could have sworn it used to be on CP. There's posts referencing it using the hashtag #91king. Either way.

Quote:
Perhaps instead of possibly tearing it down (which could bean option, They could keep theft cade and turn it back into a parking garage for the employees at the new Home Office. Not ideal. But better than tearing it down if it were to come to that.
Do we have any idea if Home Office has any underground parking or any transportation plan at all for its employees? I would be curious to know, if they are consolidating their SJ workforce, where all these employees are planning on parking Uptown. There are already parking issues on the Lower Peninsula that the Parking Commission and City Hall have been trying to address recently in regards to Uptown employees using parking spaces in residential areas.

Uptown already has a plethora of parking garages, one of which is not utilized. I can't see it being wise to have another. I'm only going to assume there are hurdles for Golden Ball to be torn down that they must jump through in the event it comes to that.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:40 PM

[QUOTE=JHikka;7340229]Could have sworn it used to be on CP. There's posts referencing it using the hashtag #91king. Either way.

I was thinking the Irving owned `Commercial Properties`which is corporation that owns 44 Chipman Hill and Centerbeam Place - what you are referring to is a real estate company that is not connected to Irving. They are merely representing the seller.

Do we have any idea if Home Office has any underground parking or any transportation plan at all for its employees? I would be curious to know, if they are consolidating their SJ workforce, where all these employees are planning on parking Uptown. There are already parking issues on the Lower Peninsula that the Parking Commission and City Hall have been trying to address recently in regards to Uptown employees using parking spaces in residential areas.

I beleive it was announced there would be no parking built for employees and they would utilize existing lots and locations - I mentioned previously that using the new parkade with with either shuttle services or a covered pedway from the parkade to Harbour Station may also be a solution.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=UptownJeff;7340263]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Could have sworn it used to be on CP. There's posts referencing it using the hashtag #91king. Either way.

I was thinking the Irving owned `Commercial Properties`which is corporation that owns 44 Chipman Hill and Centerbeam Place - what you are referring to is a real estate company that is not connected to Irving. They are merely representing the seller.

I beleive it was announced there would be no parking built for employees and they would utilize existing lots and locations - I mentioned previously that using the new parkade with with either shuttle services or a covered pedway from the parkade to Harbour Station may also be a solution.
Really? Don't the city's development regulations have minimum parking requirements in this zone, I could have sworn that was in PlanSJ. The renderings seem to show that they could be maintaining the parking entrance behind the Imperial that exists there now, perhaps expanding it to be a bit larger? As a resident who uses street parking in the vicinity, the parking is a sticky situation. There are huge amounts of surface/structure parking within a 10 minute walk of this new building's site, but a lot of commuters have shown a tendancy to prefer to park on-street and play the two-hour parking space shuffle than walking a few extra minutes.

If we're consolidating employees without on-site parking provisions, the city (or preferably Irving Oil) needs to heighten enforcement or increase incentives to get commuters to ride transit, bike or actually use parking lots and parking structures and leave street parking for residents and short-term visitors (such as shoppers).

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:34 AM

Kind of bland looking don't you think? For such a big building, you'd think it might be a little more modern looking perhaps? But a huge investment nevertheless.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:41 AM

The aproximate size of the New Irving Home Office building?

One of the Irving employees ,who was answering questions about the new home office, personally told me that the building will be around 350,000 square feet in area. He also told me he was very aware of the Skyscrpaerpage and liked it a lot.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Kind of bland looking don't you think? For such a big building, you'd think it might be a little more modern looking perhaps? But a huge investment nevertheless.
Personally I love it. Understated elegance. Keep in mind it's in a heritage area and a modern glass tower wouldn't fit imo. To me it compliments the area and is very 1930s looking. It will age very gracefully....

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Personally I love it. Understated elegance. Keep in mind it's in a heritage area and a modern glass tower wouldn't fit imo. To me it compliments the area and is very 1930s looking. It will age very gracefully....
I suppose you're right. It just already seems dated.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 7:49 AM

Quote:
On CBC News last night, the President of IOL was saying that they do not know what they ill be doing with the Golden Ball building yet. They did mention however I that the building was actually A Parking Garage UP until the 1960's. Perhaps instead of possibly tearing it down (which could bean option, They could keep theft cade and turn it back into a parking garage for the employees at the new Home Office. Not ideal. But better than tearing it down if it were to come to that.

Regarding consolidation, it was also mentioned on CBC that they would becoming from the Golden Ball building, the Aliant Tower, Crown street and various buildings on Bayside Drive.

Regarding existing vacancy, I don't believe it's as bad as the media makes it out to be.Yes, overall it's high. But once you factor out undesirable Class "c" it's not As bad. Especially since Class" A" is what most companies of Any importance wants.
Of course, the Crown Street Irving office is the former studios of CHSJ Television. I've kind of wondered what happened to the program archives of CHSJ too. o.o

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 12:05 PM

Reminds me of some of the stately 1930s buildings that line Central Park in New York - more the 5th Avenue side but some on CPW.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 1:58 PM

This is a very nice building for the uptown area, it's very urban and classic. I hope they will finish the outside with high quality materials, not the cheap stuff suburban buildings are finished with. It's very nice, it's not something we see often in New Brunswick, where cheap low rise suburban buildings is the norm, especially in Moncton. They often try to build those right downtown around here...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 2:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Keep in mind it's in a heritage area and a modern glass tower wouldn't fit imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
Really? Don't the city's development regulations have minimum parking requirements in this zone, I could have sworn that was in PlanSJ. The renderings seem to show that they could be maintaining the parking entrance behind the Imperial that exists there now, perhaps expanding it to be a bit larger?
I find it extremely difficult to imagine that IOL would build a new Home Office and not include some form of indoor, underground parking. Nearly every building over 10 storeys here in Ottawa has some, especially those being used by government/business. The City should push them on this if there isn't any included.

Quote:
As a resident who uses street parking in the vicinity, the parking is a sticky situation. There are huge amounts of surface/structure parking within a 10 minute walk of this new building's site, but a lot of commuters have shown a tendancy to prefer to park on-street and play the two-hour parking space shuffle than walking a few extra minutes.
Which they shouldn't be able to do, IMO.

Here in Ottawa it works very simply. To be able to park on the street in front of your home you have to buy a monthly (or tri-monthly) parking pass. This allows you to park for longer than just the posted two hours. Otherwise you can only park for a two hour max between 9 and 5. In Ottawa you will get a parking ticket if you go over, or park in a no parking zone. This prevents people who work downtown but live in the suburbs from parking in front of my apartment, which is a 10 minute walk from downtown.

All Saint John needs is similar rules and actual enforcement and people will be scurrying to parking garages in no time.

Quote:
If we're consolidating employees without on-site parking provisions, the city (or preferably Irving Oil) needs to heighten enforcement or increase incentives to get commuters to ride transit, bike or actually use parking lots and parking structures and leave street parking for residents and short-term visitors (such as shoppers).
I'm always going to see biking as a form of transit as a no-go in Saint John. It's too large, spread-out, with too much change in elevation to make biking easy and consistent. It's not worth it. Unless you're living and working on the Peninsula I think it's a bit too difficult to manage.

My suggestion above would encourage employees Uptown from utilizing residential parking and would move them towards the parking garages. The last thing I think we should be doing is building another parking garage for a new building when we already have three in the area, one of which underutilized. The City should stand its ground on this.

As for transit i'm not sure what could be done outside of the current formula. King's Square is already a major station for most buses and Comex already runs between the City and suburbs. I would like to see the city put more funding into transit to allow for more consistent schedules and reliability, however.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 12:59 AM

I think the building looks great. A contemporary glass and steel building just wouldn't fit, and the classic, clean look of the design is perfect for the location. I have no doubt the building will be of a very high quality and be built and finished to perfection. They aren't going to cheap out on their show piece of a home office. This is a great thing for the uptown.
I can see them utilizing the Golden Ball for some satellite office or something periphery. I would be really surprised if they tear it down with the strong legacy and history to IOL that it has.
As for parking, there is plenty of parking within a very short walk. If people in SJ could get it into their heads that it is OK to actually walk for 10 minutes, there aren't any parking issues in our uptown core. As with other dense cores, the more people you have, the more streetfront stores will open, the more attractive the pedestrian environment and the less people will mind walking.
I am happy to see a quality addition to the uptown, sensitive to our one of a kind built heritage, and also serving the needs of a solid local employer. I can't wait for furthur growth.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishy View Post
I think the building looks great. A contemporary glass and steel building just wouldn't fit, and the classic, clean look of the design is perfect for the location. I have no doubt the building will be of a very high quality and be built and finished to perfection. They aren't going to cheap out on their show piece of a home office. This is a great thing for the uptown.
I can see them utilizing the Golden Ball for some satellite office or something periphery. I would be really surprised if they tear it down with the strong legacy and history to IOL that it has.
As for parking, there is plenty of parking within a very short walk. If people in SJ could get it into their heads that it is OK to actually walk for 10 minutes, there aren't any parking issues in our uptown core. As with other dense cores, the more people you have, the more streetfront stores will open, the more attractive the pedestrian environment and the less people will mind walking.
I am happy to see a quality addition to the uptown, sensitive to our one of a kind built heritage, and also serving the needs of a solid local employer. I can't wait for furthur growth.
At first I didn't think I liked it, but it has already grown on me and also think it will he a great addition to the Uptown core.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:18 PM

I personally like the concept and will watch the development very closely. Yes a nice new modern structure would be fantastic as well as being the envy of any city, however keeping in form with the historic significance of the area, etc, I think it will be very classy and elegant. Like most SJ locales I know many Irving Oil personnel from refinery workers up to the executive level. There is much excitement about this announcement among employees.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:34 PM

There will be expansion at the refinery (not a second refinery).
There will be new hires over the next number of years. More good news coming folks.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
There will be expansion at the refinery (not a second refinery).
There will be new hires over the next number of years. More good news coming folks.
Yes and Yes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces