HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 2:23 PM

Another new subdivision announced for Stratford appeared in the Guardian this morning. That totals 137 new single family homes to be built in two subdivisions this year.

Aintree Drive Sustainable Subdivision
An application to develop a sustainable subdivision on Aintree Drive was approved by Council. It will see approximately 6.45 acres developed including 1.62 acres (25.1% of the total area) for parkland dedication to the Town of Stratford. The proposed development includes 4 single dwellings, 2 two-unit semi-detached and 2 six-unit townhouse units for a total of 20 units on the 7 proposed lots.

Concord Properties Subdivision
Stratford Town Council approved a subdivision on parcel 393000 which is located in the Medium Density (R2) Zone. This proposed development is for 117 lots, including 72 single dwellings, 36 semi-detached and 9 three-unit townhouses, and is located in the area of Bunbury Road, Heron Drive and Squire Lane.

Approximately adding 500+ more people to its population for both developments.

Last edited by Siriusb; Aug 18, 2019 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
Another subdivision development for Stratford.

Stratford, P.E.I. town council approved a major housing development at a meeting on Wednesday night.

This development was proposed by Concord Properties and will include 72 single family homes, 36 semi-detached homes and 9 three-unit townhouses located in the area off Bunbury Road, Heron Drive and Squire Lane.

The project also includes parkland as part of the subdivision.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...2019-1.5247748
Concord Properties Subdivision

Last edited by Siriusb; Aug 18, 2019 at 12:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 2:55 PM

Cora’s wants to return to Charlottetown. Up in West Royalty, next to Maurices, there is a sign advertising a franchise opportunity. Sounds interesting.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 11:48 AM

Regarding Cornwall Bypass: I noticed the planned “trumpet interchange” design has been replaced with - wait for it - two small roundabouts on either side of the overpass.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickle View Post
Cora’s wants to return to Charlottetown. Up in West Royalty, next to Maurices, there is a sign advertising a franchise opportunity. Sounds interesting.
I noticed that sign, too. A few months there was a sign at the Charlottetown Mall traffic lights advertising an Eastside Mario’s franchise. Both of those restaurants would do better, in my opinion, setup in the corner of a large commercial development with parking. It will be interesting to see if they both return to the Charlottetown market.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
Regarding Cornwall Bypass: I noticed the planned “trumpet interchange” design has been replaced with - wait for it - two small roundabouts on either side of the overpass.
Yeah, that was a choice made by the engineer *insert eye roll*. The way it's going to work is a royal pain the a** as well. Coming from New Haven, if you want to go into Cornwall, you have to go up the ramp and through the round about. Coming from Cornwall, if you want to get on the highway, you have to go through round about one, over the overpass, through round about two, down the ramp and merge onto the highway. Truckers are going to hate this

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxConstructs View Post
Yeah, that was a choice made by the engineer *insert eye roll*. The way it's going to work is a royal pain the a** as well. Coming from New Haven, if you want to go into Cornwall, you have to go up the ramp and through the round about. Coming from Cornwall, if you want to get on the highway, you have to go through round about one, over the overpass, through round about two, down the ramp and merge onto the highway. Truckers are going to hate this
I’d say you’re right in that truckers will hate it, these roundabouts look to be quite small. The whole bypass project was dumbed down from the original plan proposed over a decade ago, and then dumbed down even further from the plan the last government presented to Islanders.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
The concept of having roundabouts like this isn't unique to PEI. This is done all over the world and even as close as Halifax which is where this is. Crazy I know!! I do agree that the truckers are going to hate this but since no one spoke up against it, they, the government, can do what they want.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
The concept of having roundabouts like this isn't unique to PEI. This is done all over the world and even as close as Halifax which is where this is. Crazy I know!! I do agree that the truckers are going to hate this but since no one spoke up against it, they, the government, can do what they want.

It’s difficult to speak against something when they, the government, present a plan to the public, but end up building something entirely different.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 3:20 AM

Quote:

NS is converting a tone of interchanges like this. In Moncton they’ve also recently made Harrisville Bvld over route #15 similar to this as well.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 11:09 AM

Looks like some parkades may be adding additional levels............

A burgeoning demand for parking in the downtown core has the Charlottetown Area Development Corporation (CADC) in talks with the city to map out a strategic parking plan.

Every parkade in the downtown area is currently at capacity for monthly parking and some even have waitlists.

Amanda Lindsay, who works downtown, said she's previously been able to find a space in the Pownal parkade. But recently it's become increasingly difficult.

"Now I'm having to park at least a 10-minute walk away — and that's a speed-walk," Lindsay said.

She said she isn't looking forward to searching for parking during the winter months.

Plans and expansion
Ron Waite, the general manager at CADC, said there are plans to add another 70 spaces to the Fitzroy parkade. But he said those spaces will be immediately spoken for by more than 100 people who are waiting for spots.

"Over the past few years, there's been fairly significant development in the downtown and that obviously puts a strain on infrastructure," he said.

"These parking lot structures are extremely expensive to build so you need to have a sustained long waiting list before the city would ever look at building a parkade."

When you leave and go back to parking on the street in the spring you're kind of giving up your spot.
— Ron Waite

Parkade construction costs anywhere from $30,000 to $50,000 per space, said Waite.

"Part of the other challenge that we face here is that there are a number of residents that choose to park on the street during the summer months but come the winter months when there are on-street restrictions, they look to become monthly parkers," Waite said.

"When you leave and go back to parking on the street in the spring, you're kind of giving up your spot. You run the risk that come fall, there might not be a spot available."

Waite said the request for a review of parking in the downtown area is still in the preliminary stages. The proposal will need council's approval before the search can begin for a consultant.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...orks-1.5263391

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 11:19 PM

Another Tim Horton's for Charlottetown.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Another Tim Horton's for Charlottetown.

It's going to be part of the Ultramar I believe

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
It's going to be part of the Ultramar I believe
Yes, that is correct! #14 I believe.

Last edited by Siriusb; Sep 1, 2019 at 11:02 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 11:22 PM

Unhappy

Yay !

Tim's is my least favorite coffee......

Tim's is going to be located on the left of the large building. There is a "fast serve" restaurant that is going in the middle and then a convenience store on the far right.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
Looks like some parkades may be adding additional levels............

A burgeoning demand for parking in the downtown core has the Charlottetown Area Development Corporation (CADC) in talks with the city to map out a strategic parking plan.

Every parkade in the downtown area is currently at capacity for monthly parking and some even have waitlists.

Amanda Lindsay, who works downtown, said she's previously been able to find a space in the Pownal parkade. But recently it's become increasingly difficult.

"Now I'm having to park at least a 10-minute walk away — and that's a speed-walk," Lindsay said.

She said she isn't looking forward to searching for parking during the winter months.

Plans and expansion
Ron Waite, the general manager at CADC, said there are plans to add another 70 spaces to the Fitzroy parkade. But he said those spaces will be immediately spoken for by more than 100 people who are waiting for spots.

"Over the past few years, there's been fairly significant development in the downtown and that obviously puts a strain on infrastructure," he said.

"These parking lot structures are extremely expensive to build so you need to have a sustained long waiting list before the city would ever look at building a parkade."

When you leave and go back to parking on the street in the spring you're kind of giving up your spot.
— Ron Waite

Parkade construction costs anywhere from $30,000 to $50,000 per space, said Waite.

"Part of the other challenge that we face here is that there are a number of residents that choose to park on the street during the summer months but come the winter months when there are on-street restrictions, they look to become monthly parkers," Waite said.

"When you leave and go back to parking on the street in the spring, you're kind of giving up your spot. You run the risk that come fall, there might not be a spot available."

Waite said the request for a review of parking in the downtown area is still in the preliminary stages. The proposal will need council's approval before the search can begin for a consultant.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...orks-1.5263391
Does $30,000 - $50,000 per spot sound high to anyone else?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Does $30,000 - $50,000 per spot sound high to anyone else?
Sounds about right to me.

100 spaces = 3 million to 5 million

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 11:12 PM

68 Grafton Street in Progress

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:39 PM

Quote:
A friend of mine said it was a 4 storey apartment building. He is a known surveyor in the area and did preliminary work on the drawings.
This building is under construction now and will be 7 stories.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:20 PM

The second apartment mentioned in the article below is under construction now. Not sure if it is 4 or 5 stories, but will be 28 units and located on Chestnut Street directly behind the first building.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...tnut-1.4306948

Picture of Unit #1 . 16 Apartments.

Last edited by billy1; Sep 5, 2019 at 5:14 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces