HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Interesting proposal - not sure where I stand on it.

Advantages:
- Much less expensive solution than the previous proposal; easier to fund and realize.
- Keeps a healthy level of occupancy at Market Square.

Disadvantages:
- Not nearly on the same aspirational level as the Fundy Quay proposal. We're going from Halifax Central Library-calibre transformational cultural facility landmark to a somewhat enhanced version of what the Museum already has.
- Functionally, I don't know if having the main entrance up by Union and St. Patrick makes much sense. Such an orientation turns its back on the better-suited public space of the Market Square Atrium and Trinity Royal. And I don't think the entrance on its own will be enough to make that any less of a dead corner. At the very least, a secondary entrance should be maintained at the existing location in the Atrium.

I'm sure this concept will be refined somewhat, as it's apparently something that was drawn up behind closed doors several years ago. I look forward to hearing more details about it.
You've absolutely nailed it with this assessment.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 9:13 PM

Turning Union/St Patrick into the museum entrance is a huge step toward making it not a dead zone this is only one block from City Hall, Peel Plaza, Brunswick Square, etc and directly ajacent to the Aquatic Centre, it's the most dramatic gateway to Uptown. Should it be forever condemned to a blank space? This project could set up a development in what is currently the Red Rose parking lot. Imagine how that intersection could look with a road diet on the Main Street Viaduct (assuming the structure reaches the end of its life cycle in the next few years) and all that foot traffic.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 11:10 PM

Forbes magazine has an interesting article on Hula's latest sea-mural in Saint John. In the first photo it shows a tower crane, in the background, in the lower south end. Anybody know what the crane is doing there?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fionata...0#125b348013b2

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
Forbes magazine has an interesting article on Hula's latest sea-mural in Saint John. In the first photo it shows a tower crane, in the background, in the lower south end. Anybody know what the crane is doing there?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fionata...0#125b348013b2
That is an old picture. The coast guard buildings are no longer on the land where the lighthouse sits. I believe that tower crane was from when Harbourfront Residences at Three Sisters was built.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNB View Post
That is an old picture. The coast guard buildings are no longer on the land where the lighthouse sits. I believe that tower crane was from when Harbourfront Residences at Three Sisters was built.
Thanks, makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Imagine how that intersection could look with a road diet on the Main Street Viaduct (assuming the structure reaches the end of its life cycle in the next few years) and all that foot traffic.
That's a bold assumption considering it's currently receiving a significant deck overhaul that should extend its lifespan well beyond the 'next few years' mark.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 11:16 AM

The new name for Harbour Station has been revealed. It's now called TD Station.

https://www.country94.ca/2019/08/30/...john-sea-dogs/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 11:32 AM

There is a mini tower crane in Millidgeville at the Noel Avenue Apartments. Nice sight to see in Saint John.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
That's a bold assumption considering it's currently receiving a significant deck overhaul that should extend its lifespan well beyond the 'next few years' mark.
It could be as simple as widening the sidewalk, moving the divider over, narrowing the lanes (with paint) and turning one or two lanes into protected cycle lanes (like the temporary lanes a few years ago, but on the side).

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:38 PM

Apparently, Lancaster Mall (on the west side) has plans for a major renovation!

Source: https://tj.news/story/101032171

I don't have a subscription with Telegraph Journal, so I don't know what the article says about it.

Wizard's Cafe posted this on their Facebook page earlier today:
Quote:
We would like to announce that Wizards Cafe at our Lancaster Mall location is permanently closed due to not being able to renew our lease for potential development of the shopping mall. Although we are sad to leave, we look forward to seeing the mall grow and better serve our West side Community. We would like to thank our loyal dedicated team and our customers for their support over the years.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/wizardscafe/posts/939284509739275

Looks like Lancaster Mall might be pushing out some tenants for the renovation perhaps? Maybe this major renovation is to attract some new retailers and businesses into the mall to maybe compete with McAllister Place on the east side of the city? Makes me wonder if they are trying to go for a completely new and modern look and vibe with appearance as well as tenants?

Last edited by DyAm00394; Sep 2, 2019 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Apparently, Lancaster Mall (on the west side) has plans for a major renovation!

Source: https://tj.news/story/101032171

I don't have a subscription with Telegraph Journal, so I don't know what the article says about it.

Wizard's Cafe posted this on their Facebook page earlier today:
Source: https://www.facebook.com/wizardscafe/posts/939284509739275

Looks like Lancaster Mall might be pushing out some tenants for the renovation perhaps? Maybe this major renovation is to attract some new retailers and businesses into the mall to maybe compete with McAllister Place on the east side of the city? Makes me wonder if they are trying to go for a completely new and modern look and vibe with appearance as well as tenants?
The move is to accommodate larger SJ Library Services and a new "fitness tenant"

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
The move is to accommodate larger SJ Library Services and a new "fitness tenant"

Ok, thanks for letting me know about that

(I don't have a subscription with the Telegraph Journal, so the only information I had to go by was the headline "Major Renovations").

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 2:24 PM

Saint John Energy Announces Company That Will Build $60-Million Wind Farm.

https://huddle.today/saint-john-ener...ion-wind-farm/

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:41 PM

There is an upcoming open house for the new Central Peninsula school coming up on September 17, beginning at 5:30 pm at St. John the Baptist/King Edward School. Develop SJ has released these architectural concept drawings for the new school:

Source: https://developsaintjohn.com/recent_...K57uNF-_xlG7p4

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks great!

I wish they had kept Moncton High in downtown Moncton rather than putting it out by the Kent County line.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:03 PM

Crews Face 'Challenges' With Rothesay Ave. Work

Quote:
Drivers will have to deal with the closure of Rothesay Avenue near Rothesay Road for a bit longer. The busy Saint John road has been closed at the railway overpass since mid-August as crews reconfigure the road. The work will allow for traffic lights to be installed at two intersections: Rothesay Avenue at Rothesay Road, and Rothesay Avenue at the Route 1 westbound exit ramp. The Department of Transportation and Infrastructure had hoped to have the road reopened to traffic last weekend. But Brad Mullin, a senior resident engineer with the department, said they have run into “a few challenges”, such as problematic underground utilities.
“For example, we encountered some fibre optic cable in the ditch line that meant that we had to pipe instead of digging a ditch,” said Mullin. “That was about another 100 metres of concrete pipe plus a couple of extra catch basins.” The most recent challenge encountered by crews, Mullin said, is right under the railway bridge. “We encountered a concrete-encased utility duct, which is for internet and telephone, and that, unfortunately, was too high so we’re looking at having to move that,” he said. Mullin said the heavy rain from post-tropical storm Dorian last weekend also flooded the site for several days.

Transportation officials now hope to reopen the road at the end of September. But Mullin said the project is not expected to wrap up until late November or early December, so drivers may still see some delays.
“There will still be some curbing and traffic lights going up, and also paving,” he said. Mullin said the department appreciates how patient the public has been, noting they have received few complaints about the ongoing work.
“They understand that this is an improvement project and it’s a project that is needed,” he said.
Mullin said there will be a cost increase as a result of the delays but officials are still crunching the numbers.

https://www.country94.ca/2019/09/13/...esay-ave-work/

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 9:33 PM

If they encountered telco lines under the overpass that were too high, sounds like maybe part of the work is lowering the road there to increase the clearance? I haven't been down to snoop on it and see what they're doing, other than seeing one mediocre newspaper photo.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:42 AM

Due to Uptown Saint John seeing a lot of growth I've created a thread to highlight developments happening in that area. The posts in here tend to jump from topic to another and area of the city to another so I figured making this thread would organize post better and offer the opportunity for us to better promote what's happening in Uptown Saint John. This thread can be used to talk about things that have a city-wide impact.

I encourage everyone to use subforums like Saint John retail thread, fundy quay, suburbs

THREAD LINK
https://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum...16#post8689316

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 9:33 PM

New Pipeline proposal for Saint John

Pipeline News is reporting that there is new plans to build a new pipeline to get Alberta oil to the east coast. Hope something happens that makes it possible where Energy East failed:

https://www.pipelinenews.ca/news/loc...UpbxPnOxi9ptzo

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:59 PM

Interesting idea Lauritsen had to base the company out of Quebec in an attempt to woo its approval... we'll see how that goes, I suppose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces