HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNick View Post
I find it can be a bit of a mess there because impatient drivers like to treat the intersection as if the bike lane is a right turn lane when traveling East on Pinewood. I usually try to position myself so there isn't room for people trying to turn right to squeeze in beside me if I am heading straight through or turning left.
The cars coming down Pine Glen are usually moving pretty fast. If you're stopped and then going straight through on Pinewood, it's easy to get clipped.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 12:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
The cars coming down Pine Glen are usually moving pretty fast. If you're stopped and then going straight through on Pinewood, it's easy to get clipped.
I don't like that intersection. Cars on Pine Glen do travel fast. A roundabout will be good as much as a traffic calming feature as anything else.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNick View Post
I find it can be a bit of a mess there because impatient drivers like to treat the intersection as if the bike lane is a right turn lane when traveling East on Pinewood. I usually try to position myself so there isn't room for people trying to turn right to squeeze in beside me if I am heading straight through or turning left.
It's funny you brought this up. At that intersection, I was behind a car turning left onto Pine Glenn off of Pinewood. I was turning right and was waiting for him to turn when a BMW Z3 driven by an old fella came up behind me. He was wanting to turn left and was yelling and motioning to me to pull over to the right so he could get along side me to make his left turn. It's only a two lane road. He was actually pulling up in the other lane along side me. His top was down and my window was down so I turned my head and said "Who the hell are you, King of the road?" Then I told him to do something physical impossible to himself and the look that came over his face was of sheer terror. I don't think anyone ever spoke to him like that before. What is it with drivers in this town lately? They drive like they are entitled. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 1:54 PM

Anyone hear any updates on the Chocolate River Station proposal?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 2:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
Rezoning has been approved AFAIK, but this proposal may still lie fallow for the next few years while they obtain financial backing etc.

Time will tell.....................

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
I drive by there often. There is still a for sale sign on the chocolate river station. Also, on the lot next to the building that Cordova owns, nothing has happened. I've never seen any equipment or people working there. There needs to be a geo-technical assessment done due to it's proximity to the river. Also the company needs to get approval from the province in order for the project to go ahead.
A lot of behind the scenes stuff, who knows where they are at.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
I drive by there often. There is still a for sale sign on the chocolate river station. Also, on the lot next to the building that Cordova owns, nothing has happened. I've never seen any equipment or people working there. There needs to be a geo-technical assessment done due to it's proximity to the river. Also the company needs to get approval from the province in order for the project to go ahead.
A lot of behind the scenes stuff, who knows where they are at.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 11:50 PM

They'll be finishing up the work on Hillsborough Road next week. It's been a long haul with all the road work they've been doing in this area over the last couple of years.

https://www.townofriverview.ca/news/...lsborough-road

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
I believe you may be looking at the wrong properties. The expropriated lands will be southwest & northwest properties, meaning the fire station & the insurance company.
I believe it is the southeast corner that is being expropriated. The article in T+T was incorrect. The land they already acquired is the northeast corner.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Slax View Post
I believe it is the southeast corner that is being expropriated. The article in T+T was incorrect. The land they already acquired is the northeast corner.
The southeast corner has an apartment building on it that's pretty close to the road. There doesn't seem to be any available land there.

The northeast corner is a vacant lot that is currently listed for sale.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 9:30 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Riverview is planning their first roundabout at the corner of Pinewood and Pine Glen Roads.

based on this picture MonctonRad shared in this forum back in 2018, they only need the corners of the properties.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 11:25 PM

Here's an update on the work going on at the water treatment plant. Seems like they've been working on this project for years. And by the looks of it, possibly a few more years more.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:31 AM

The paving and landscaping has been done at the Grass home on Coverdale Rd. It's a great looking building. I would suspect that it will be opening soon.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:04 AM

Not the best of sources but....

I've heard from a very unreliable source that the reason for the Kensington delay is the soil samples they took. They will likely have to dig much deeper to hit proper footing. I've heard the problem is resolved and will likely proceed this fall.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
I've heard from a very unreliable source that the reason for the Kensington delay is the soil samples they took. They will likely have to dig much deeper to hit proper footing. I've heard the problem is resolved and will likely proceed this fall.
I was talking to Sally Forster, the realtor who is the leasing agent for the Kensington. She told me the construction will start "soon." She couldn't give a date, but it seems like they'll do as much as possible this fall. She did confirm that both buildings are fully booked and on top of that there is a waiting list.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 6:10 PM

New user here with insider info on new $20+ million recreation centre. Apparently, the process is many months behind because mayor/council/staff refused to accept the tender price for design work after they awarded the contract. Looks like the Fall fundraising campaign start isn't happening. That, and both Riv Liberal MP's were stone cold silent on any kind of funding announcement. Suspect that the project missed the window and/or was purposely ignored by federal/provincial politicians here.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 6:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forums!

The proposed wellness centre in Riverview is an ambitious project for a community with essentially no industrial tax base and only a modest commercial tax base. This will be a hard one for them to pull off.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forums!

The proposed wellness centre in Riverview is an ambitious project for a community with essentially no industrial tax base and only a modest commercial tax base. This will be a hard one for them to pull off.
Great project but not enough tax base or corporate home bases in the town to pull it off. The only way to do this project will be to increase taxes substantially and the NIMBY types will flip out.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilInsider View Post
Great project but not enough tax base or corporate home bases in the town to pull it off. The only way to do this project will be to increase taxes substantially and the NIMBY types will flip out.
The NIMBY folks were against the Cordova proposal to build that apartment building on Coverdale Rd. That would have generated more property taxes for the town. Do you have any info on the status of that project? Last info I read was that Cordova had to do some testing on the land, and also an agreement to purchase the Chocolate River Station.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
The NIMBY folks were against the Cordova proposal to build that apartment building on Coverdale Rd. That would have generated more property taxes for the town. Do you have any info on the status of that project? Last info I read was that Cordova had to do some testing on the land, and also an agreement to purchase the Chocolate River Station.
It has been dead silent on the Choco-River Station sale. I attend council meetings often but this issue is "above top secret" I suspect. Why? They're going to sell it for pennies on the dollar and this would look very bad with a municipal election coming next spring. Remember that this Council sold the POSITIVE CASHFLOW-GENERATING RCMP station to a Moncton "pal" this year too. Does anyone know how much they sunk into the CRS? I heard well over $3 million but can't seem to find the figures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces