HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.thesudburystar.com/news/...69m-for-hwy-69

Feds to chip in $169M to finish 400. Let the vote-buying game begin.
Great to see. Hopefully it gets done even with the new government that may be in in the fall.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:14 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If federal Greens end up having a say in the new government, the project might get nixed. Even if the federal PC’s are back in power, there’s still a chance that it will get green-lighted because Stephen Harper had the vision to twin TCH across the country.

If it’s either the Grits or NDP (or both), you will definitely see Highway 400 taken to Sudbury in the foreseeable future.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
If federal Greens end up having a say in the new government, the project might get nixed. Even if the federal PC’s are back in power, there’s still a chance that it will get green-lighted because Stephen Harper had the vision to twin TCH across the country.

If it’s either the Grits or NDP (or both), you will definitely see Highway 400 taken to Sudbury in the foreseeable future.
I predict a Liberal minority......or a PC minority.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:39 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Once Highway 400 gets extended all the way to Sudbury though, shall we begin to discuss its EDR? It’s scary that there’s none between Exit 162 and 177. If anything happens, you’re looking at detouring via 11 starting at Crown Hills and Old 169 (and vice versa). For the new 4-lane section north of French River, it just doesn’t exist south of Estaire.

Adding EDR’s allows the speed limit on the freeway to be bumped to 110 km/h, but most importantly, it serves as a backup if anything goes wrong on the freeway. Plus it’s essentially a pathway for pedestrians, cyclists, ATV and snowmobile users. Unless other provinces, Ontario and Quebec don’t allow any of those jazz on the freeway.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Once Highway 400 gets extended all the way to Sudbury though, shall we begin to discuss its EDR? It’s scary that there’s none between Exit 162 and 177. If anything happens, you’re looking at detouring via 11 starting at Crown Hills and Old 169 (and vice versa). For the new 4-lane section north of French River, it just doesn’t exist south of Estaire.

Adding EDR’s allows the speed limit on the freeway to be bumped to 110 km/h, but most importantly, it serves as a backup if anything goes wrong on the freeway. Plus it’s essentially a pathway for pedestrians, cyclists, ATV and snowmobile users. Unless other provinces, Ontario and Quebec don’t allow any of those jazz on the freeway.
The good thing is, if there is ever a problem at the French river, they are leaving the old bridge.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:50 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I think it’s the same with Key and Still Rivers. On the other hand, MTO plans to take down the bridge in one of the FN’s once a completely new segment’s built. I really don’t like that (unless a temporary bridge can be cheaply and easily built upon request). It’s the same with 17 through Samuel de Champlain Provincial Park.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I think it’s the same with Key and Still Rivers. On the other hand, MTO plans to take down the bridge in one of the FN’s once a completely new segment’s built. I really don’t like that (unless a temporary bridge can be cheaply and easily built upon request). It’s the same with 17 through Samuel de Champlain Provincial Park.
Which bridge do you mean?
As far as SdC PP, you could go 63, 533. It's not that much longer.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:03 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Which bridge do you mean?
As far as SdC PP, you could go 63, 533. It's not that much longer.
I just checked. Never mind. there’s no bridge to be taken down, but what’s gonna happen is, when MTO twins 69 through Shawanga, it will put the freeway on a new alignment and abandon the existing route.

I have a pdf file on my laptop. See if googling “Highway 69 twinning phase 2” returns anything.

As for SdC, if anything goes wrong, it will suck for people in Rutherglen...

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 2:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I just checked. Never mind. there’s no bridge to be taken down, but what’s gonna happen is, when MTO twins 69 through Shawanga, it will put the freeway on a new alignment and abandon the existing route.

I have a pdf file on my laptop. See if googling “Highway 69 twinning phase 2” returns anything.

As for SdC, if anything goes wrong, it will suck for people in Rutherglen...
There are dirt roads that you can get around either to North Bay or Mattawa.... Ask me how I know...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 8:02 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Given Monday’s accident on 17, I really hope we can get 69/400 over with asap so we can turn our attention to 17 between Espanola and Corbeil.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Given Monday’s accident on 17, I really hope we can get 69/400 over with asap so we can turn our attention to 17 between Espanola and Corbeil.
17 East of the Soo needs to be done. Anything less is not enough.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 9:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
https://www.thesudburystar.com/news/...69m-for-hwy-69

Feds to chip in $169M to finish 400. Let the vote-buying game begin.
I'm surprised.

Considering that Doug Ford doesn't have to face an election until 2022 and that this mostly benefits a place the PC's tend to do badly regardless (Sudbury), I'm not seeing the vote-buying aspect here.

It's nice to see the project moving along.

Edit: Oooh the feds are chipping in! I see now.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 9:47 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Is Sudbury even red federally though? I thought it’d be orange on a federal level too.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 9:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Is Sudbury even red federally though? I thought it’d be orange on a federal level too.
It alternates between Red and Orange. (It's currently Red).

So, yeah, I could see the incentive for the current Feds to kick in some cash to improve their odds there.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 9:51 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post

So, yeah, I could see the incentive for the current Feds to kick in some cash to improve their odds there.
I just wish that package also included twinning 17 from City Road 55 (middle) to Highway 69 though. It’s only another 10 km.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm surprised.

Considering that Doug Ford doesn't have to face an election until 2022 and that this mostly benefits a place the PC's tend to do badly regardless (Sudbury), I'm not seeing the vote-buying aspect here.

It's nice to see the project moving along.

Edit: Oooh the feds are chipping in! I see now.
Quote:
Quote:

Part of the reason people don't vote for a party is they don't spend money in the riding. The best thing a party could do is spend more money in a non party riding. Then we think you actually care.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:41 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Part of the reason people don't vote for a party is they don't spend money in the riding. The best thing a party could do is spend more money in a non party riding. Then we think you actually care.
It depends on what the culture of the riding is too.

Sudbury is a big-labour and government town, so I would not expect the Conservatives to do well regardless of how much money they showered on the city. I think the provincial PCs last won there in the 1980s.

The trick to getting money is to be a swing riding, especially if you alternate between the main governing parties. That way any particular party does not think the riding is safe, so there must be an incentive to vote a certain way.

The worst thing to do is to consistently vote for a party that has minimal hope of being in government. For instance, a number of ridings in Northern Ontario consistently vote for the provincial NDP and they tend to be the ridings that get the most shafted by government as it costs the party in power nothing politically to screw them over. That is part of the reason why I suspect this area of the province is relatively neglected.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 5:00 AM

Quote:
The MP for Sudbury is Paul Lefebvre who is Liberal.

Timmins is the only city in Northern Ontario that has an NDP MP. And we are the most left-wing city in the province.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 11:03 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

That reminds me that JT also announced funding for the Maley Drive extension. The federal liberals really want to keep Sudbury.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2019, 8:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It depends on what the culture of the riding is too.

Sudbury is a big-labour and government town, so I would not expect the Conservatives to do well regardless of how much money they showered on the city. I think the provincial PCs last won there in the 1980s.

The trick to getting money is to be a swing riding, especially if you alternate between the main governing parties. That way any particular party does not think the riding is safe, so there must be an incentive to vote a certain way.

The worst thing to do is to consistently vote for a party that has minimal hope of being in government. For instance, a number of ridings in Northern Ontario consistently vote for the provincial NDP and they tend to be the ridings that get the most shafted by government as it costs the party in power nothing politically to screw them over. That is part of the reason why I suspect this area of the province is relatively neglected.
That is BS and we the voters should not stand for that. Why does an area not vote for a party? Could it be that their ideals are not aligned with the people? Could it be that they consistently promise things but never keep them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
The MP for Sudbury is Paul Lefebvre who is Liberal.

Timmins is the only city in Northern Ontario that has an NDP MP. And we are the most left-wing city in the province.
Most of Northern Ontario is left. North Bay, which seams to bounce back and forth is really the only exception.

Quote:
That reminds me that JT also announced funding for the Maley Drive extension. The federal liberals really want to keep Sudbury.
When did he do that? I know it wasn't in the last few months.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario