Boy there are a TON of them...

One famously secret: Exposition Park Rose Garden

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:55 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Another hidden gem for Greenville, and one that is very well hidden indeed:

Broad Margin

It's a Frank Lloyd Wright house north of downtown, off North Main Street. Right about here, in fact.

This article from the Greenville Journal has some photos of the interior, as well as the outside of the home.

And why is it so very well hidden? It turns out that the current owners of the home are extremely selfish and absolutely insist on living in the home. It's only open to tours very rarely.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:16 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Houston's Underground Cistern

The Buffalo Bayou Park Cistern was an underground reservoir built in 1926. When they were building Buffalo Bayou park, they discovered the cistern. The Buffalo Bayou Partnership bought the cistern and decided to use it to display various public art exhibitions.
Psh... An underground cistern is nice and all, but what can you tell me about the... red button?

There is an unmarked red button hidden over Houston's Buffalo Bayou that is just begging to pushed...

Press the red button!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:30 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Yeah, I knew about the red button. As a matter of fact, Houston has a similar situation to Greenville with its own Frank Lloyd Wright building. The owners want to live in it and don’t want to open it to the public.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:42 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Yeah, I knew about the red button. As a matter of fact, Houston has a similar situation to Greenville with its own Frank Lloyd Wright building. The owners want to live in it and don’t want to open it to the public.
The bastards.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:29 PM

There are 3 Wright houses in Cincinnati, and I'm pretty sure they're all lived in by the owner. Not sure why that's strange or bad...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Psh... An underground cistern is nice and all, but what can you tell me about the... red button?

There is an unmarked red button hidden over Houston's Buffalo Bayou that is just begging to pushed...

Press the red button!
Also, underneath the Franklin Street bridge over Buffalo Bayou there is a small opening in the brick, which is actually the entrance to the Donallen family burial crypt, which dates back to the 1850s. At one time this area was the location of the city cemetery, and although most of the remains were moved as the city grew the crypt has remained in place beneath the bridge.

https://goo.gl/maps/auKj3rrq6aUhSkTFA

Burial crypt in downtown Houston tells part of Houston's history

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 7:02 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
There are 3 Wright houses in Cincinnati, and I'm pretty sure they're all lived in by the owner. Not sure why that's strange or bad...
Because you completely missed the sarcasm of the statements that it was strange or bad. That's why it's strange or bad.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 3:13 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

In Chicagoland, you’ll find Marktown, Indiana

It’s hidden within what seems like miles of rusty factories, not very easy to find. It has unique architecture for the Chicagoland area.

credit - http://tenspeedhero.com/features/her...ktown-indiana/

Wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marktown

I’ll come up with some more, great thread and examples!

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:27 PM

I don't think this would qualify as a secret hidden Gem, but thanks to federal money Ottawa is blessed with miles of both paved and unpaved cycling paths throughout the city's greenbelt and on the Quebec side where there is more off roading within an eyeshot of downtown. https://www.google.com/search?q=otta...kh5J-lFjXjTVsM

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 7:12 PM

Erie, PA

Ferncliff is a collection of 21 late-19th century former fishing shacks turned into cottages bluff on Presque Isle Bay. The houses originally housed fisherman and dockworkers and their families, then became a bohemian/hippy enclave in the 1960s, then a rather seedy drug scene in the 70s and 80s, were nearly demolished in the late 80s, and now a mix of small simple and luxury beach houses.

There's only one access road to get there (which it shares with the Erie Yacht Club), so unless you're a boater, you would have no clue that this little chunk of Great Lakes history exists.

Another offbeat "village" in Erie is Horseshoe Pond in Presque Isle State Park, where 24 floating houses are anchored. These houses date to the 1890s, and were once plentiful as early immigant dock and factory laborers built floating shacks all along the bayfront and peninsula shorelines, as they could not afford other accomodations. Once the state park was established in the 1920s, the state demolished hundreds of them and allowed only 24 to be anchored in one pond. They now serve as summer lake houses for the fortunate few who were grandfathered in long ago.

Last edited by pj3000; Mar 5, 2021 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 8:56 PM

In San Francisco's booming South of Market tech zone (well, in "the before times" anyway), there's a rather unobtrusive little alley/street off Third St that leads to the hidden gem of South Park in the middle of a block:

https://www.sfgate.com/business/arti...he-2499440.php

https://www.afsf.org/wp-content/uplo...her-Studio.jpg

It's surrounded by shops and cafes beloved of the technorati.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 9:43 PM
i ain't no bubba

Although some won't consider this a 'gem', I think the Doll's Head Trail is one of the more unique things to do in Atlanta.

The Doll's Head Trail is a short loop off the main trails at Constitution Lakes Park. The lakes are the site of a former brick-making factory...water filled in the pits left behind by digging the red clay for bricks. The Dolls Head Trail is lined with found objects that have washed up on the shore of the South River, stacked bricks from the factory and hand-written signs. The trails include paved paths, boardwalks and footpaths through the woods.
https://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking...on-lakes-park/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 12:13 AM

lol thats pretty interesting

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 1:36 AM
Future God

Deep in the countryside of metro Nashville there is a replica of a 12th century Welsh castle... whether it's a "gem" or not is certainly debatable, but it is certainly well hidden!

Castle Gwynn by audmonster, on Flickr

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
In San Francisco's booming South of Market tech zone (well, in "the before times" anyway), there's a rather unobtrusive little alley/street off Third St that leads to the hidden gem of South Park in the middle of a block. . .
I stumbled upon this park a bunch of years back on my way to or from the Caltrain one night and found it very charming. . . years later I came back and the whole park was inhabited by homeless in tents! Needless to say I was disappointed. . . I see they appear to have completely over-hauled the park since then and have cleaned out the homeless. . . I can't wait to get back to see what they've done. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:31 AM
BANNED

Baháʼí House of Worship (Wilmette, Illinois)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3...ette,_Illinois)

The Baháʼí House of Worship in Wilmette, Illinois (or Chicago Baháʼí Temple) is a Baháʼí temple in Wilmette, Illinois. It is the second Baháʼí House of Worship ever constructed and the oldest surviving. It is one of eight continental temples, constructed to serve all of North America.[

Baháʼí Houses of Worship are intended to include several social, humanitarian, and educational institutions clustered around the temple, although none have been built to such an extent. The temples are not intended as a local meeting place, but are instead open to the public and used as a devotional space for people of any faith.

https://www.google.com/search?q=baha...0Bqy8ceC08h3oM

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 11:14 AM
A gruff individual.

What is a sign for a hotel in Duluth, MN doing on the side of a building west of downtown Greenville, SC?

I knew nothing of this sign until reading people in another forum lamenting its disappearance, as this area is redeveloped into a 160-acre signature park that promises to revitalize the entire west side of Greenville.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Baháʼí House of Worship (Wilmette, Illinois)

Looks like the top of Louisville's tallest building:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 6:40 PM
E pluribus unum

Not too much within the City of Flagstaff, but out on the Navajo Reservation are Grand Falls and the Wupatki Spirit Totems. The Spirit Totems are off to the side of the road on US89 northbound around the entrance to Wupatki National Monument. I don't know why they fascinate me so much? It's a couple of wooden posts with ghost-like faces painted on them.

Grand Falls is also sometimes called "chocolate falls" due to the muddy brown water. It's pretty, but difficult to get to due to the harsh terrain. Do not go there in a car that doesn't have four wheel drive.

There's also the cinder lakes, which aren't actually lakes but a giant cinder bed in the shadow of Sunset Crater (dormant volcano). NASA spent some time there in the 1960s training astronauts because apparently the cinders are similar to the surface of the moon?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions