HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ nah, because atl is not the low end of the south usa, but half of those canadian cities you picked are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
While Canada doesn't have anywhere as warm or sunny as the US Sunbelt, the difference between the colder parts of Canada that are inhabited, and the warmer parts that are inhabited, is comparable.

Average winter temperature (Dec-Feb)

Fort McMurray: -15.3C
Winnipeg: -14.3C
Saskatoon: -12.6C
Edmonton: -8.9C
St. John's: -3.6C
Halifax: -2.8C
Toronto: -2.3C
Kelowna: -2.0C
Vancouver: 4.2C

Buffalo: -2.7C
Chicago: -2.5C
Detroit: -2.3C
Indianapolis: -0.8C
Columbus: 0.0C
Nashville: 4.4C
Charlotte: 5.6C
Raleigh: 6.1C
Greenville: 6.7C
Atlanta: 7.4C

So the difference in the winter temperature between the colder parts of the Great Lakes (Upstate NY, Chicago/Milwaukee) and the warmer parts of the Sunbelt boom towns (ex Atlanta) is about 10C, same as the difference between the milder parts of Eastern Canada (ex Halifax, Toronto) and the colder parts of the Prairies, and that doesn't even take into account coastal BC which is 6-7C warmer still.
Atl is not 2 degrees warmer than Charlotte, Atl is colder than Greenville, In fact it is 25 degrees in Atl right now vs. 33 in Charlotte. 12-25-20 530 PM.. Where are these number from???

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Atl is not 2 degrees warmer than Charlotte, Atl is colder than Greenville, In fact it is 25 degrees in Atl right now vs. 33 in Charlotte. 12-25-20 530 PM.. Where are these number from???
Fun fact: Atlanta has the highest elevation of major cities east of the Mississippi River at 1,050 ft. which creates a more temperate climate.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Fun fact: Atlanta has the highest elevation of major cities east of the Mississippi River at 1,050 ft. which creates a more temperate climate.
Pittsburgh?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Pittsburgh?
Downtown is around 740 feet. Pittsburgh has the higher airport and higher maximum elevation, but its elevation range is greater than Atlanta.

The largest eastern city whose urban core is higher than Atlanta is Asheville, NC.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with a slowing population growth. Expecting constant growth is not sustainable.

What we need is a country of very high producing individuals, not millions upon millions of low skilled immigrants. Clearly during COVID our Government has shown it's not able to take care of it's own people, let alone letting in everyone who wants to be in the country.

Legal immigration is fine, but Illegal immigration isn't. Unfortunately with the current narrative, we will likely see huge increases in illegal immigration mainly because we've decided that we want to be a lawless state. I'm 100% for a quota system or immigration of skilled immigrants and absolutely no chain immigration.
I think a lot of Canadians feel the same especially due to our high real estate prices. Governments know this but Canada still has exceptionally high immigration rates.

The reason for this is not so much just wanting growth for growth sake but rather due to long-term demographics. Immigrants are overwhelmingly younger and Canada needs those skilled trained workers as our system is based upon points and the more educated you are, the far better chance you have of getting in. The problem is not the population per se but rather the make-up of it.

Like the US, we are not reproducing ourselves and in Canada it is even worse as we have the lowest birth rates in the entire English and French speaking world. This leaves both countries with the prospect of far fewer workers having to financially support a far older population who are not only growing in numbers but are also living longer and the longer they live the more expensive they become in both old age pensions and healthcare costs. In short we need these immigrants to keep our pension plans and healthcare systems solvent.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 8:40 PM
them bones

This doesn’t seem possible given that apportionment is not based on YOY trends but over the decade. CA still gained 2M people, which is not nothing. And you’ve totally missed Idaho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Using this tool from the U of Michigan, corresponding House changes.

AZ +1
CA -1
CO +1
FL +2
IL -1
MI -1
MN -1
MT +1
NC +1
NY -2
OH -1
OR +1
PA -1
RI -1
TX +3
WV -1

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
This doesn’t seem possible given that apportionment is not based on YOY trends but over the decade. CA still gained 2M people, which is not nothing. And you’ve totally missed Idaho.
That's the apportionment shift from the cumulative 2010 to 2020 changes. Put another way, running the apportionment formula on the 2020 estimates, and comparing to what the 2010 Census apportioned.

The formula is the Huntington-Hill method and straightforward: give every state a seat to start, priority number equals state population over square root(number of seats times number plus one), and highest priority number gets the next seat. Feel free to test it yourself with Excel.

Bigger states change seat numbers more rapidly. Idaho is growing fast, but it's population is still small enough that it doesn't get to the 3rd seat priority number quickly enough. Meanwhile, California isn't growing at the rate it needs to keep 53 seats relative to the rest of the country.

Last edited by ChiSoxRox; Dec 27, 2020 at 9:55 PM. Reason: Wiki link to HH method

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 9:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Louisiana dropping is a bit surprising to me. Does it have high taxes for the Sunbelt? An effect of the oil downturn? Checking the parish numbers, looks like New Orleans is dropping again for the first time post-Katrina, but the decline is pretty evenly spread across the state.
Many are moving to Texas. Economy here is much stronger, no income taxes and they're still close to home; Houston is a 6 hour drive from New Orleans. DFW is fairly close to Shreveport and Monroe.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Many are moving to Texas. Economy here is much stronger, no income taxes and they're still close to home; Houston is a 6 hour drive from New Orleans. DFW is fairly close to Shreveport and Monroe.
That was my guess - a 'brain' and people drain to TX. It's probably why states like Oklahoma and Arkansas are growing a bit slower than one would expect, although they are doing better than Louisiana. They have slightly better economies than Louisiana as well.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
The climate data tables on Wikipedia.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:26 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Delaware's growth is not that far behind, and sticks out in the Northeast section as second-biggest by raw numbers, only behind Virginia, with 8-10 times the population.

Idaho's one-year growth: 1.0211
Delaware's one-year growth: 1.0103

For perspective, here's some other high-growth states:
Florida's one-year growth: 1.0112
Texas' one-year growth: 1.0129
Colorado's one-year growth: 1.0085
Utah's one-year growth: 1.0145
Nevada's one-year growth: 1.0153

Delaware's growth is mainly due to the burgeoning retirement area, Sussex County. It's been off the radar for a couple decades, first just attracting northern Delawareans to the other end of the state where they used to go to the beach for the weekends in the summer, then progressing to people from the DC area also retiring at the beach, since coastal Delaware is their beach place too. But now it's just beginning to get national prominence. I don't remember the subject of the story in full, but some political article I was reading was discussing retirement places and migration patterns in the US, mentioning the Carolinas, Florida, and Texas, and putting coastal Delaware in the same breath. This was not a Biden thing, either. Long story short, Delaware is the main place going against the general trends in the Northeast.
Yep. My plan when I retire is to move close to the Delaware beaches.

It also helps that property taxes are dirt cheap and there isn't any sales tax in Delaware.

The only negative about the area by the beaches is that developers have ruined the land along Route 1 with all the ticky tacky stuff they have thrown up over the last 20-25 years. The outlets were bad enough but now it's just out of control and the traffic in the summer is beyond crazy. Once I'm in a hotel in Rehoboth my car doesn't move and I just stay in town...there is no use to go out to the highway.

Last edited by PhillyRising; Dec 29, 2020 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Louisiana is a backward state heavily dependent on oil and gas revenue. It has antiquated infrastructure and underfunded public schools and state universities. The two largest cities, Baton Rouge and New Orleans have major violent crime problems. Political corruption is viewed as business as usual by many or most residents. The climate is brutal, especially in coastal areas that are subject to hurricanes and frequent flooding. New Orleans is still structurally quite ossified with an entrenched ruling elite. Local efforts to incubate tech related business activity produce only modest success. Visitors love New Orleans, but those that stick around frequently become disenchanted in short order. There are always exceptions, but I think my observations about the state are rather valid. Louisiana is always trying to get its act together and rarely has much to show for it.
Well said..... While commodities have tumbled since 2014, its revenue problems predate it. Tens of billions of new/upgraded O&G infrastructure have been constructed and exports were up but Louisiana gives some of the most generous tax breaks to its O&G producers.

This is a great video that tells the difference just over state lines. As much I crap on Texas on not investing in itself, Louisiana is a whole different thing.

Video Link

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Last edited by TexasPlaya; Dec 29, 2020 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Yup, folks have just been moving west across the state line.... certainly not across the eastern state line as it's more of the same over there.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 4:42 PM
America's Hometown

I'm not really shocked about New York's decline. During the summer of 2019, I never saw so many cars with New York plates riding around Chester County and the Philly burbs overall. I kept thinking what is going on? I didn't hear of some big corporate relocation. Maybe there was...I don't know but I couldn't drive for more than a few minutes and not see another car with New York plates. We are seeing a huge surge in residential construction so people are moving here. I've seen Florida, North Carolina, Montana and Texas plates parked in my complex lot over the last year or two.

I am assuming the decline in PA is because the growth in the Southeast and South Central regions can't wash out the bigger declines being seen along the northern tier and Western PA.

...and one more thing...can we really trust census numbers produced by this regime?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 7:48 PM
E pluribus unum

We can probably trust that the numbers won't be a completely accurate reflection of the United States in 2020

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
Pittsburgh keeps falling. I don't think their economy diversification is enough to stop it: https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/population/; 22k births, 27k deaths.

The US as a whole is set to shrink by the 2030's anyway, when nearly 4 million will be dying every year.
Does anyone know why the numbers in this TAMU source fluctuate so much in 2010?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:50 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Does anyone know why the numbers in this TAMU source fluctuate so much in 2010?
The year at the beginning of the decade numbers are the smallest. 2010s population change only accounts for 9 months and not the standard 12 months. Meaning it is July 1, 2009 to April 1, 2010.

The 3 months missing are the summer months when most of the migration in the US happens. And TAMU is not the source, they are just depicting the info the census bureau provided.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:28 AM

America will have a smaller population for the inauguration than the election.

https://www.politicalorphans.com/our...vYHrIrH9fxvhdY

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
America will have a smaller population for the inauguration than the election.

https://www.politicalorphans.com/our...vYHrIrH9fxvhdY
Wow that is pretty remarkable if true. Another effect of the absolute disaster Trump has been for the U.S.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 3:53 AM

A lot of people, of all socio-economic standings, do not consider population stabilisation as a bad thing.

As far as blaming it on Trump, that's a stretch. As much as I loath to come to idiot's defence, this cannot be blamed on Trump. The US, like all Western countries, suffers from a fast falling birth rate over the last 50 years and now we are to the point of basically shrinking without immigration. If the population isn't growing the way it was it's because Americans, and especially urban Democrats, aren't having enough babies.

Right now the US may require twice as many immigrants as it takes in now to keep the
population growing but in 30 years that ratio maybe 10X as many.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions