HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:59 PM

I notice crap like that. I know it's not a true freeway. But I'm all about reducing that sort of thing to the bare minimum.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 4:01 PM
BANNED

I say the city should sell that land for infill.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I say the city should sell that land for infill.
Not a lot of room there, but definitely enough for something interesting.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I looked at a Google map, and you're right, the turnoff from Disraeli is utterly useless now. Considering how close both Lily and Main are, I don't get why that entrance/exit were even built in the first place.
In the first 5 or so years after Disraeli was built (before it was blasted through to Main and Alexander) Martha was how you accessed downtown from the 'freeway.' It was one way heading south. Lily was one way heading north and was how you left DT to head over the 'freeway.' So perhaps Martha was still one way south for a while after they blasted through to Main. The exit would have been required to access that part of Martha, as you wouldn't have been able to go north off of Rupert.

As it stands, once Martha was made 2-way, and especially now that it is a tiny fragment of a street there, the exit off of Disraeli is redundant.

You can see the original Disraeli alignment in this photo from the John Warkentin fonds at York (the fonds are a real time sucker for a history buff such as myself).

https://digital.library.yorku.ca/yul-275839/winnipeg

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not a lot of room there, but definitely enough for something interesting.
This Vancouver infill has a funny shape, wedged into a smaller area. I could see something like this...

https://changingcitybook.com/2016/04...lberni-street/

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the surface lot on the west side of Amy at James is owned by the Centennial Corp, so if they are planning something for Rupert, then you can safely say the James plan is dead. The Cent. Corp definitely owns the old COW signals building at Lily and James, btw. From what I've heard it's not even heated anymore.

The Rupert lot is huge. Plenty of space for a Science Museum and a large parkade.
if the Rupert lot is a thing and the James Ave lot it dead, what becomes of it? With the new build up at the end of Market and the plan for something at 104 James, you'd think this could become prime land for something more like that.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
From that angle EVERY city of that scale will look bad.

Not many buildings put colored gravel on their roofs or color the roads and sidewalks.
At the street level this is not drab at all. Yes, the public service building. But the rest of the Exchange? It needs life -- businesses, people, etc. -- but the palette of the building materials are not the problem.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
In the first 5 or so years after Disraeli was built (before it was blasted through to Main and Alexander) Martha was how you accessed downtown from the 'freeway.' It was one way heading south. Lily was one way heading north and was how you left DT to head over the 'freeway.' So perhaps Martha was still one way south for a while after they blasted through to Main. The exit would have been required to access that part of Martha, as you wouldn't have been able to go north off of Rupert.

As it stands, once Martha was made 2-way, and especially now that it is a tiny fragment of a street there, the exit off of Disraeli is redundant.

You can see the original Disraeli alignment in this photo from the John Warkentin fonds at York (the fonds are a real time sucker for a history buff such as myself).

https://digital.library.yorku.ca/yul-275839/winnipeg
Good find. Interesting to see that back then the city was up to its usual slip-lane tricks at James and Main. It's amazing they ever managed to get rid of one of those.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:23 PM

Alexander docks and civic lands

1) Would like to bring attention again to the Alexander Docks and the pressing need to deal with this great underutilizes resource. My feeling is the Forks should take on this project through their waterfront mandate... If this can be dealt with the 3 or 4 parcels in very close proximity would be more likely redeveloped sooner.

2) The civic parkade / police building should be demolished and become part of RRCC's campus. The relocation of RRCC has singlehandedly become the driving force behind the Exchange's revival. More facilities equals more young people and more need for services and housing...

I LOVE spending big on education! We can get great new architecture in a promising location. Just look at the ongoing transformation around U of W!

Educational buildings are often given the greatest architecturally creative latitude. I want to see them in the centre of our city and not necessarily just Fort Garry.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
1) Would like to bring attention again to the Alexander Docks and the pressing need to deal with this great underutilizes resource. My feeling is the Forks should take on this project through their waterfront mandate... If this can be dealt with the 3 or 4 parcels in very close proximity would be more likely redeveloped sooner.

2) The civic parkade / police building should be demolished and become part of RRCC's campus. The relocation of RRCC has singlehandedly become the driving force behind the Exchange's revival. More facilities equals more young people and more need for services and housing...

I LOVE spending big on education! We can get great new architecture in a promising location. Just look at the ongoing transformation around U of W!

Educational buildings are often given the greatest architecturally creative latitude. I want to see them in the centre of our city and not necessarily just Fort Garry.
1) The Alexander Docks were closed for liability, not structural reasons. The docks were recently completely rebuilt over two winters by Subterranean. The "Drag the Red" group were starting fires on the dock for some kind of ceremonial reasons.

2) RRC (not RRCC) was not relocated to the new campus, it was an expansion project. The main campus, which is also being expanded at an alarming rate is still at 2055 Notre Dame Avenue.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:07 PM

I haven't been following. But what's going on at the Notre Dame campus? Are they putting in new classrooms in that building out front, similar to building A? Or is it more shop areas?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 5:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

A great deal of both!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 6:58 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why not turn the psb lands into a marker space startup hub?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
1) The Alexander Docks were closed for liability, not structural reasons. The docks were recently completely rebuilt over two winters by Subterranean. The "Drag the Red" group were starting fires on the dock for some kind of ceremonial reasons.

2) RRC (not RRCC) was not relocated to the new campus, it was an expansion project. The main campus, which is also being expanded at an alarming rate is still at 2055 Notre Dame Avenue.
Do you have something positive to add today?

Your comments about "Drag the River" or a smudging ceremony plays no role in the dock's closure but rather speaks to challenges in the aboriginal community.

Notwithstanding Subterranean's work on the dock some additional structural defects were detected and need to be rectified prior to the city engineering signing off.

I still referrer to it as Red River Community College (RRCC) but that may be before your time but thanks for the clarification.

The "alarming rate" of growth you refer to is excellent news for Manitobans today and all those kids into the future.

Your comments today did not add to the discussion in a way that helps move us in a direct we all hope for. Even on very cold days like today the sky is blue and the sun shines brightly...

Put your hat on and go for a walk down the river. You have an excellent view I understand.

Last edited by Labroco; Jan 20, 2017 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
Do you have something positive to add or just petty negative blather today?

Your comments about "Drag the River" or a smudging ceremony plays no role in the dock's closure but rather speaks to your own ignorance and racist views of our aboriginal community.

Notwithstanding Subterranean's work on the dock some additional structural defects were detected and need to be rectified prior to the city engineering signing off.

I still referrer to it as Red River Community College (RRCC) but that may be before your time but thanks for the clarification.

The "alarming rate" of growth you refer to is excellent news for Manitobans today and all those kids into the future. Would you rather have young people without a skill or trade?

Your comments today are petty, and did not add to the discussion in a way that helps move us in a direct we all hope for. Even on very cold days like today the sky is blue and the sun shines brightly...

Put your hat on and go for a walk down the river. You have an excellent view I understand.
I think that river an was simply adding what information he knew of for 1 and correcting an error in 2. I think the context of adding the aboriginal ceremony was to indicate that an event was held on the docks showing that they were refurbished enough to hold the ceremony for the drag the red river group. I did not sense any racism

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 10:48 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Nor did I, and I was not trying to be negative. Hey, I work at RRC, I'm glad it's growing. What's your problem?

Labroco I am expecting an apology.

Last edited by Riverman; Jan 19, 2017 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Nor did I, and I was not trying to be negative. Hey, I work at RRC, I'm glad it's growing. What's your problem?

Labroco I am expecting an apology.
Demanding an apology. Ha. What's next? Lawsuits for "defamation of character" over the internet?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 2:50 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

No, nothing like that. Labroco to the best of my knowledge isn't a disrespectful asshole like you. I thought perhaps he misread my post.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 3:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
No, nothing like that. Labroco to the best of my knowledge isn't a disrespectful asshole like you. I thought perhaps he misread my post.
I'm going to miss ya Rivs

Last edited by Pinus; Jan 20, 2017 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 9:22 PM

Doesn't matter how long one is away, the tension on this site is riveting.,,makes one want to come back and just catch up on the unique interplay between posters..I missed it..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan