HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Yeah if it is the actual mesh that lights up as opposed to lights being shone on colored chicken wire, than I have much higher hopes for this proposal, especially at night! I think it would look really cool to have a giant discoball in the center of the city haha. It would definitely liven up Harbour Drive during the night. And if they decided to make some cash of of it, we could have a giant advertising board, visible from signal hill
What's the difference? If it looks interesting, then who cares what it's made of. It could be made of chain-link fence and pop cans for all I care as long as it does something to add to the City.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
What's the difference? If it looks interesting, then who cares what it's made of. It could be made of chain-link fence and pop cans for all I care as long as it does something to add to the City.
Really?? This is the first development you have said "who cares what it's made of." normally you're the one to take a massive crap over every design of all projects presented in this city.. what makes this one different?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 3:21 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjanejacobs View Post
I think I agree, the restrictions on development, compared to everywhere else have been so awful that almost anything new in the core is welcomed.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Really?? This is the first development you have said "who cares what it's made of." normally you're the one to take a massive crap over every design of all projects presented in this city.. what makes this one different?
Because every other development has been new. This is a (re)development of a hideous parking garage. Not only that, but it's somewhat ingenuous - if not the design, then at least the intention.

Who care's what kind of screen covers the already unsightly brick garage... I don't see why it matters. Something is going to cover it. That's what matters.

Most projects presented in the City are uninspiring crap from an architectural standpoint. So yeah, I'll continue to take my craps. I'll recognize a clever design nevertheless and this is one of only a few.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:28 PM

Here are a couple cleaner renders straight from the architect (Harbour Drive view):

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:41 PM

the quality of the renders are just so bad lol, I'd like to see a better quality render of what it will look like

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
the quality of the renders are just so bad lol, I'd like to see a better quality render of what it will look like
Agreed, but at least these renders are better than the last set; I can actually visualize the final outcome. The last renders were nothing short of a blurry mess.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 6:27 PM

At least they're a little clearer. Hopefully we'll eventually see renders of a higher quality than Google Sketch-Up... Not that they're bad or anything, I just want to be able to better visualize the final product. I want to see some night renders as well.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 7:04 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I like that they are doing something positive with the ground level, that would be the final deciding factor in the success of the project for me.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I like that they are doing something positive with the ground level, that would be the final deciding factor in the success of the project for me.
Any change to that block would be an improvement. It's a shame that Harbour Drive is so "industrial" and not all all pedestrian friendly. It's too late now to reverse the endless stretch of parking entrances but hopefully future considerations will at least try to make it a little better.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 1:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The new renders are great - thanks.

I still hope they break up the bulk of the parkade a little more than it is.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 11:52 PM

I love that they are considering harbour drive. That's excellent.

I'll look forward to better renders, an improvement to this parking garage, atlantic place and that government of canada building far east on water street would be my top three properties to improve visually as well as their functional relationship with the street.

I'll hope for the best with this one.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife View Post
I'll look forward to better renders, an improvement to this parking garage, atlantic place and that government of canada building far east on water street would be my top three properties to improve visually
Agreed. For some reason the red brick makes it stand out and look weirder as well. Removing the red from TD Place has made it blend in more IMO

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 5:38 PM

For some reason, I love the red brick on the government of canada building in the East End of DT. I hope it stays as it is

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 5:39 PM

meeting cancelled

Don't know if this was already posted. Does anyone know why the meeting was cancelled?

From the City of St. John's website:

Cancelled - Public Meeting - AP Parking Garage

Start Date:

Thu, 2013/07/04 - 7:00pm

Cancelled - The Public Meeting scheduled to discuss the proposed hotel atop the AP Parking Garage has been cancelled until further notice.

The City of St. John’s will hold a Public Meeting to discuss proposed amendments to the St. John’s Municipal Plan and the City of St. John’s Development Regulations. If enacted, the amendments would have the dual-effect of maintaining the principal use of the A.P. Parking Garage property as a parking facility and allowing development of a 3-storey hotel atop the existing 8-storey parking garage next to Atlantic Place.

This application may be viewed at the Department of Planning, Development and Engineering, Third Floor, St. John’s City Hall Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., phone (709) 576-8430, or e-mail: planning@stjohns.ca. Any person wishing to make a submission on this application prior to the public meeting must provide a signed written statement to the City Clerk’s Department either by mail: P.O. Box 908, St. John’s, NL A1C 5M2; Fax: (709)576-8474 or e-mail: cityclerk@stjohns.ca. Written and verbal representations may also be submitted at the time of the public meeting.

In accordance with the City’s policy on public notification, properties within a radius of 150 metres of the application site are notified in writing by the City of this application. Notices are sent to property owners and not tenants. If you own but do not live at the property identified to receive this notice, we ask that you forward this notice to any tenants which you may have. Property ownership information is based on the City’s assessment roll.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 3:41 AM

We knew the meeting was cancelled, but nobody knows why. Strange that they haven't scheduled a new one yet either.. I really hope this proposal isn't dead. I would cry.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 4:17 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I would like to see it go ahead as well. The status quo of the site is untenable.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 11:33 AM

I suspect this meeting is canceled due to timing. Summer is usually a difficult time to get the appropriate players and resources together due to vacation schedules, general slowdown of work, etc. Hopefully this will be rescheduled to sometime in the fall.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 2:35 PM

Like the idea of the Hotel but high quality render or not the colours look terrible. Brown brick mixed with pastel colours?! Really?. I think they should re-clad the brick with an updated colour/aesthetic and go from there...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 3:11 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Like the idea of the Hotel but high quality render or not the colours look terrible. Brown brick mixed with pastel colours?! Really?. I think they should re-clad the brick with an updated colour/aesthetic and go from there...
Maybe it could just be painted, but what they are showing is supposed to coordinate with the existing brick, however it will also appear different when covered with screening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's