HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 3:11 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh no, not bashing - and not even you in particular. But literally no one I've asked thinks anyone on council is pro-development, just indifferent at best.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
Oh no, not bashing - and not even you in particular. But literally no one I've asked thinks anyone on council is pro-development, just indifferent at best.
I think there's a bit of an imbalance between development and heritage on the current council with heritage coming out ahead. Don't get me wrong, I think it's important to have a strong heritage voice but I also think there's a need for more voice in the development department (Danny Breen comes to mind here). I don't think it's a matter of who's the David and Goliath of the two; what does matter is the need to grow the development camp and synergize the two schools of thought. That's when we'll see St. John's really become a unique modern/heritage-style city.

Now developing a theoretical framework to do this, apply it in a practical setting and mixing up political agendas in the bag - It's not going to be an easy task. The upcoming municipal plan can be the catalyst needed to really set the wheels in motion. Let's hope it doesn't become the status quo.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 4:23 PM

Amen brother

The upcoming municipal plan will dictate how we will allow the west end to grow, and how we preserve the east end. I really, really, really hope the majority of the west end is rezoned for taller commercial/residential development. If we don't allow for more development in that vital area, we are basically pushing development away from downtown to say, kenmount road, and showing that we have lost the war against urban sprawl. I really hope council gets it right with this upcoming municipal plan!

Another 5 or six years without densification at the rate were growing, and I think we will have crossed the point of no return. We will forever be a sprawl city unless we begin to act now! Our future is riding on this plan and council really needs to realize this!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 5:41 PM

I'd like to see a third candidate show up and run for mayor. O'Leary would be a nightmare in charge. You could say goodbye to developing the west end of downtown, as I'm sure it would not be high on her agenda. O'Keefe hasn't done a poor job, and is a nice balance between preservation and development. Saying that, I'd like to see more of a "personality" step up and give it a shot.

I don't know much about Ellsworth, I had just moved to St. John's during the last election so I never really caught on to any campaigns or anything like that. However, a common consensus among most people I know label the guy as a "f*cking idiot". I've heard a couple off-record remarks he's made through people which would make me question his character, hence I think he'd be a dangerous gamble despite knowing he's much more pro-development and could potentially fix some of the problems the city faces.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Why not this time around? You could be that young, fresh, pro-development face we need! (Not that I've seen your face, but you get my point )

In regards to Signals comment about balance, I don't think council is balanced as it stands. Duff and O'Leary both almost religiously pro-heritage. We don't have anyone who is actively pro-development on council. It seems the only mind sets we have on council right now are either pro-heritage or neutral on the topic of development.

Like I've said many times before, i understand the need of protecting our old town and our heritage. I would hate to see tall or unfitting buildings pop up on Gower Street, Water Street or any of the "east end". But as it stands, we have plenty of councilors who will fight to protect our heritage, but none who will fight to get anything developed in the west end. What I think we need to create a true balance, is one or two councillors who will fight for development in the west end, yet also observe the need of protecting heritage without taking that to the extreme. We need someone who will point out the value of our heritage sector and use that as a driving point as to why we need to develop a vibrant, dense and yes, taller west end in order to have a truly balanced and successful city! The debate always seems so one sided. Certain people have no problem shooting down developments left, right and center, but offer no viable solutions as to where to develop. We need people who will open up both sides of the debate and say, "well, if we can't build here, than where will we build?"

I think with a good, balanced council and mayor, people will begin to realize that we cannot shoot down developments that violate heritage rules, if we have no other place to put them. If we deny everything approval, we will not grow. We need a council that will bring that point to light and hopefully create the historic east end, and modern west end that we all dream of!

That's my rant for the night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post

He'll kill me for saying anything, but Jeddy's face will win him a few votes/move a few campaign signs/however you want to say it. And I agree he should run. Might not win but at least get your name out there so you have a higher profile next time.
AWE thanks guys! ... you know what I may think about it but I don't know how to campaign or that process or which position? hmm
damn it now you got me thinking hahah

edit:
do you guys know how candidates fund their campaigns?

Last edited by jeddy1989; Dec 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 7:48 PM

I don't think there are any fundraising laws, Ron Ellsworth funded most of his campaign himself in 2009 I think. You could contact the city or the Dept. of Municipal Affairs, in 2009 Municipal Affairs launched a campaign to get people involved. If you were any good at setting up a website you could easily have a donation link there.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 8:02 PM

Run Jeddy, run!!!! That would be so great!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 12:01 PM

I'm really concidering it!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

If you run, I think its safe to say there'd be a few of us on here willing to help in any way that we can. Do it up buddy.

http://thescope.ca/diy/diy-how-to-run-for-city-council

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Definitely. I'll volunteer in any way that I can. My particular, relevant area of expertise would be copy writing (especially web copy), editing, proofreading, etc.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 1:16 PM

wow thanks guys!

you're really making me think hard in favour of doing this .. hmmm, My only reservation would be the funds hmmm
and what seat!?

I was thinking at large, therefore it's not directly against one incumbent and my veiws are more for the city as a whole

O'Leary got in on ther first go didnt she? and now is probably gonna run for mayor

I think I'd need a lot of face posters to show that I'm young (at least in high traffic areas)

jeez guys you really got me thinking

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I've heard a couple off-record remarks he's made through people which would make me question his character
You should have been around during the Andy Wells era......

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 1:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
wow thanks guys!

you're really making me think hard in favour of doing this .. hmmm, My only reservation would be the funds hmmm
and what seat!?

I was thinking at large, therefore it's not directly against one incumbent and my veiws are more for the city as a whole

O'Leary got in on ther first go didnt she? and now is probably gonna run for mayor

I think I'd need a lot of face posters to show that I'm young (at least in high traffic areas)

jeez guys you really got me thinking
I would recommend running at large as well based on the assumption that running for one of several at-large seats offers a greater chance of success than running for a specific ward.

Yes, O'Leary was successful on her first attempt.

And yes, definitely emphasize your youth. You'd be surprised how much that appeals to some voters. My mother, for example, was watching a new story about that 17-year-old leading the NDP and shouted at the television: "Oh I LOVE that! That is SO NICE to see! THAT's what we need."

We can try to raise your profile a little - perhaps a letter to the editor about the importance of encouraging youth participation, or an interview about heritage versus development on Happy City's Facebook page.

You could create your own Facebook campaign page and actually interact directly with people, answer their questions even if you disagree, etc.

There's LOTS of ways and, luckily, LOTS of time.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 1:52 PM

There will likely be two vacancies at large, as well as Debbie Hnlon's seat.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 3:23 AM

I agree, we definitely need some new fresh faces on council and younger representation would be a great thing. As for O'leary vs. O'keefe, I'm not sure what to think. I'm not a big fan of either one of them - I think O'Leary is a good person and a good councilor but I can't see her as mayor for some reason.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 3:55 AM

I'm going to go ahead and say this is Dennis O'Keefe's last term as mayor. From reading the comments on various news stories, people are not impressed with how he, or council, have handled the events of recent days. Many are calling for Doc to be de-throned and for a younger, fresh council in 2013 (hint hint someone!)

So unless a third person steps up in the mayoral race, O'Leary is winning in the popularity race as of now.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I'm going to go ahead and say this is Dennis O'Keefe's last term as mayor. From reading the comments on various news stories, people are not impressed with how he, or council, have handled the events of recent days. Many are calling for Doc to be de-throned and for a younger, fresh council in 2013 (hint hint someone!)

So unless a third person steps up in the mayoral race, O'Leary is winning in the popularity race as of now.
Fack .. maybe I should just run for mayor ...

can you imagine!? hahahaha

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Fack .. maybe I should just run for mayor ...

can you imagine!? hahahaha
I've joked about doing the same amongst my own group of pals.

That being said, if I reasonably thought I could take it... I'd do it in a heartbeat. Politics has long been a goal of mine.

I say go for it if you're serious!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 12:20 PM

ok peeps I'm nipping this one in the bud! I'm not running for mayor hahaha I want an actual shot at council (and some money left to my name afterwards)

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 7:05 PM

The Walter guy who's running in Ward 3 was just on VOCM. Him and Paddy Daley talked about the "Orange slate" of candidates who will be running, both of course have heard names of people who will be running but did not say who. Walter said he's heard of at least 4 people who will be basically running as New Democrats.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's