HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 3:02 PM

River Landing complex moving forward at Saskatoon City Hall

CBC News
Posted: Jun 20, 2012 8:00 AM CST
Last Updated: Jun 20, 2012 7:56 AM CST

A major hotel and office complex slated for Saskatoon's River Landing area was back on the agenda at city hall this week.

On Tuesday, the city's municipal planning committee got an update on the multimillion dollar project being developed by Saskatoon's Victory Majors Investments Corp. at 200 Spadina Cr. E.

The city has been through a few false starts getting a major development on the site, but this one continues to move forward. [...]

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...plex-1206.html

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:09 PM

Went reading through the MPC report for this project and the condo tower is noted as 91.75 meters in height, though they have approval up to 95 m.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Went reading through the MPC report for this project and the condo tower is noted as 91.75 meters in height, though they have approval up to 95 m.
Would you happen to know as to how tall will the office tower will be? I reckon [via the renderings] that it'll be about 70-72 metres in height.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:45 PM

^ That wasn't specified, but you're guess is probably close to the mark.

17 floors x ~ 4 m floor-to-floor height = 68 m + another few metres for mechanical/roof features. Sounds about right?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 5:20 AM

Anybody know who the construction manager is of this project?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 5:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
^ I suspect work on the hotel and office tower will begin first while they market and pre-sell the condos.
This is exactly how all our condos ( high end or not ) in Winnipeg are sold, once they get to a point, here it is usually 50% sold they start construction, but by then if it is a large tower like yours it has gone through 10 different renderings. Our 25 Story Heritage Landing like yours, was to be 32 stories, then it got shortened to 20, and back to 25, now they are finally building it. But I would have like to have seen the 32 story version. Not like we do not have enough tall condos though from the 70/80's in that range.

I myself wonder what designers think when they build in our 3 prairie citys, as some of the junk is junk lol.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 1:13 AM
ARTchitecture

So how tall is the office tower going to be? I didn't realize that the Mechanical penthouse is going to be the height equivalent of 1.5 floors plus the fin will be the height of another 1.5 floors, I think that may push this building to around 80 meters... as the residential tower is going to be 92 meters... I don't think a 12 meter difference is a stretch, judging by the renders.

Plus, Landmark VI in Kelowna (UC) is also 17 stories and will be 85 meters...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 1:14 AM
ARTchitecture

I only ask because I'm attempting to make a drawing for the database.

Edit: Can somebody please add the River Landing Office and Hotel into the database please? The residential tower also needs to be edited to say 27 storeys not 20.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Jul 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 4:23 PM

RLV is on July 18th City Council Agenda

I particularly like recommendation #2 on page 12 of this document:

http://www.saskatoon.ca/CITY%20COUNC...cil_180712.pdf

Once the development permit is granted, this project is off to the races, folks. With three new towers on the riverbank, Saskatoon's skyline is about to be transformed.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 4:54 PM

Big day today! Hopefully we will see action yet this summer on the site, but even with approval, it is more then likely no 'ground breaking' until next spring....

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 5:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Big day today! Hopefully we will see action yet this summer on the site, but even with approval, it is more then likely no 'ground breaking' until next spring....
Hasn't it always been next spring (for the last 5 years)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Hasn't it always been next spring (for the last 5 years)
You have that wrong. That is when Winnipeg's new stadium will be finished, next spring or maybe the one after?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:01 PM

River Landing project approved

By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix July 19, 2012

Quote:
The high-profile $250-million hotel-office-condo development at River Landing has received its final political approval.

City council gave a thumbs up - without any comment or debate - to Victory Majors Investments Corp.'s plans for the project Wednesday night, allowing the long-delayed development to move forward.

Victory Majors' John Nasser said he took the quick vote as a sign of "continued support for the project."

"This is another step in the process and is another milestone in making this project a reality," Nasser said. "We have crossed many milestones in the past - We still have a number of goals to achieve and to date everything has been according to plan."

The plans feature a 27-storey condo tower, a 15-storey hotel and a 17-storey office complex wrapping around a public plaza.

Nasser said the company wants to create a "lasting legacy" and "Saskatchewan's most respected and recognized urban development to date."

The development still requires internal approvals from the Meewasin Valley Authority and city hall on a number of technical details such as wind studies, glazing and landscaping.

Nasser said he doesn't have a timeline for when a shovel will be in the ground at the south downtown site.

He is targeting this fall, but "we want to make sure we get it right the first time, so if that means a few month(s) delay, we can handle that."

[....]
Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/R...#ixzz214yaXCMc

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
You have that wrong. That is when Winnipeg's new stadium will be finished, next spring or maybe the one after?
Maybe they (Blue Bombers) should have given themselves a five year timeline to build it like they have in Regina.

Good new on Nasser finally getting city approval it will be a great addition to Saskatoon.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2012, 7:58 AM
ARTchitecture

Added diagrams for River Landing to the database. Would have added the hotel too but I don't really know what it's gonna look like. Also added one for 275 2nd Avenue.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=55756255

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 2:22 AM

so nobody heard anymore news on this since final approval?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 3:19 PM

I haven't heard anything and I have tried getting in contact with Victory Majors. Does anyone know who the artitech is?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 7:20 PM

^^^^ I thought the Arch firm was Gibbs Gage out of Calgary since Nasser took over. If I am wrong someone correct me because i'm not 100% sure.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Anyone have some insight into what is happening with the River Landing Village, thought this thing was a go this fall, how many years has it been now?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Anyone have some insight into what is happening with the River Landing Village, thought this thing was a go this fall, how many years has it been now?
Six I think since Lake Placid proposed it's design, but plans to restore the riverbank are older than that.

Last thing I heard was that the city and Meewasin fully approved everything and that a building permit was being applied for by Nasser, but I think he said something about the possibilty of a few months delay in order to review the project again, either way looks like anything substantial in terms of site prep will take until spring to start.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan