HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
My seats are 3rd row of the 300s, right on centre ice. They're fantastic - MTS did a good job with really feeling like you're close to the ice, even up there. And you can see the whole ice.
Just the reality of a smaller rink... in a bigger venue like MTL or OTT, our 300 nosebleed level is their premium club seat (middle) level

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 5:33 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I needed four seats together for the Columbus game, so there were not a lot of choices available. The ones in the low 200s disappeared quickly. Thankfully, a set just a few rows behind the penalty boxes right on centre became available. Despite the result of the game, the seats were a lot of fun.

After the game, there were a lot of friends and family of Columbus that gathered in the southeast corner of the stands. In speaking with Jets staff, apparently Calvert had requested a number of tickets and Hamonic will do the same for the New Year's Eve game.

Speaking of friends and family, we noted that one referee kept making questionable calls in Columbus' favour while the outcome was still in doubt. My son noted that it must be a mere coincidence that he is originally from Dayton, Ohio:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Meier

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 3:49 PM

I follow an account on Twitter about referees. It's quite interesting to look at individual team records vs. whom the officials were. Some are quite ridiculous. 11-1 with this set of officials. Or the opposite, 1-11.

I'll assume that's all just a big coincidence though.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 3:54 PM

It looks like this season is following more or less the same pattern as the five seasons before it... kinda-sorta-slightly improved team strings a couple of wins together, gets people excited, then falls apart with clear problems in all phases of the game. Never truly horrible enough to merit a full housecleaning, but never really that good either.

If I seem kind of blasé about this, it's because Jets 2.0 are establishing pretty well the exact same track record that Jets 1.0 had.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:06 PM

Kind of what I was expecting this year. Jets are finally getting through all the Atlanta fat. Burmi going to ARI being the latest. And thank god, I couldn't stand Burmi. Pavelec going down to AHL and being a free agent after this year is huge.

Stafford will be gone. Stuart has one more year taking up roster space from the press box.

If this continues over the next couple seasons. Well, I think we're doomed to the Jets 1.0 trend. With all the talent up front, I don't see how the can't be competitive in a couple years though. Sheif, Ehlers, Laine, Wheeler. That's a pretty solid top 4.

Defense needs a bit of work, and goaltending needs to improve. Goaltenders take longer to develop, so I'm giving Hellebuyck a bit of a break now. He's only 23. Remember Carey Priced started in the AHL and won the championship before getting a shot in the NHL. He's arguably the best player in the world right now.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:20 PM

^ Good points. Even before reading your posts, with Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers and now Laine developing nicely and seeing some of the deadwood getting cleared out or just about to be, I'd say I am probably more optimistic now than at any point since the inaugural season. That said, the timeframe for results is not indefinite... I've all but written the team off for this year, but it will be extremely concerning if we do not see next year's team enter the playoffs... at that point you might as well blow the whole thing up and start over.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 6:32 PM

I'd give them a pass next year if they were a bubble team. But after the next two years, I won't be so nice if they're still in the same spot.

I'd bet Maurice will be gone next year if things don't improve.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'd give them a pass next year if they were a bubble team. But after the next two years, I won't be so nice if they're still in the same spot.

I'd bet Maurice will be gone next year if things don't improve.
Yeah, I agree... it would amount to one last shot at trying to light the fuse with the existing nucleus of players.

I'm no expert, but I honestly thought this year would be the bubble year with a decent crop of young players which is certainly better than the group of young players circa 2012 or so. It's disappointing to see the Jets more or less out of the running by New Year's Day.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:21 PM
the first stamp is free

In general, the Jets are a decent team that is being held back by:

- poor special teams play (PP and PK)
- average to below average goaltending.

The year we made the playoffs, Pavelec had his career year. It is not a coincidence.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:21 PM

Ya it's a tough thing to judge. Youngsters can come in and play awesome, see Columbus this year. They also have a good crop of vets too.

That's what led to my coaching comment. Don't like to panic, but something has to give.

And yes, I'll agree with Drew, goaltending.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 7:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Ya it's a tough thing to judge. Youngsters can come in and play awesome, see Columbus this year. They also have a good crop of vets too.

That's what led to my coaching comment. Don't like to panic, but something has to give.

And yes, I'll agree with Drew, goaltending.
Don't forget - Columbus was a tirefire last year with a very similar roster.

Take a look at how their goalie is performing last year and this year.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 10:39 PM

Yeah, absolutely. I agree man. Bobrovsky is solid.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, I agree... it would amount to one last shot at trying to light the fuse with the existing nucleus of players.

I'm no expert, but I honestly thought this year would be the bubble year with a decent crop of young players which is certainly better than the group of young players circa 2012 or so. It's disappointing to see the Jets more or less out of the running by New Year's Day.
Don't write them off yet. They still have to go through their customary post-Allstar Break streak when they feast on the injury addled and pick up wins from good teams resting their starting goalies. Everyone will think they're a good team, but then they'll go through their customary splutter down the stretch, ending up vying for a wildcard spot for a couple weeks until teams with games in hand take it away.

Doesn't even matter what happens on the ice. This is the fate of all mediocre hockey teams.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 12:52 AM

^ That sounds like the description of nearly every season to date.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 1:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Don't write them off yet. They still have to go through their customary post-Allstar Break streak when they feast on the injury addled and pick up wins from good teams resting their starting goalies. Everyone will think they're a good team, but then they'll go through their customary splutter down the stretch, ending up vying for a wildcard spot for a couple weeks until teams with games in hand take it away.

Doesn't even matter what happens on the ice. This is the fate of all mediocre hockey teams.
Very true. But I still think they need to invest in a tried and proven veteran goalie. It's the same thing every year. We have changed the team over and over and it seems to always come down to that fellow between the posts. And we have never had anyone good between them. Yes we have had all the goalies go on crazy streaks. But that's it. Never to be repeated again.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 11:25 PM

So is their anyone out there still clinging to a hope of some miraculous turnaround or are we well into the tank yet? Game tonight should be good..

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 4:00 PM

Twas a good game from what I seen. But a loss in the end. I haven't been holding any hope of making playoffs since basically first month of the season.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Twas a good game from what I seen. But a loss in the end. I haven't been holding any hope of making playoffs since basically first month of the season.
It feels like every season has played out pretty much the same way, but with the emergence of Scheifele, Laine and Ehlers as legit top-calibre scoring threats it does seem as though things might finally improve next season.

What are the Jets going to do to fix their perennial goaltending headaches? Maybe sacrifice a young star to solve the problem?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 4:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It feels like every season has played out pretty much the same way, but with the emergence of Scheifele, Laine and Ehlers as legit top-calibre scoring threats it does seem as though things might finally improve next season.

What are the Jets going to do to fix their perennial goaltending headaches? Maybe sacrifice a young star to solve the problem?
I don't hold out much hope for the Jets moving forward, sure they gain some good young talent every season but the cost being yearly bottom 10 finishes and no playoffs (2015 being the exception because Pavelec stood on his head)

As these new players develop we lose the veterans and the ongoing problem of replacing them, Winnipeg isn't exactly a magnet for FA's so it is going to be tough. How Chevy hasn't fixed the goaltending problem is mind blowing, big fail on his part (of course the HF Board guys will say Chevy is the 'bestest" GM ever and all that BS).

Couple buddies with season tickets are already bailing as the novelty has worn off and they see no hope with the Jets moving forward. I attended a couple games this season and the atmosphere from year one and two to now is night and day and not in a good way!

My two cents!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 4:43 PM

^This is the problem.

Jets forward crop is just fine. Towards the top in the league. Scheif, Ehlers, Laine. Wheeler and Little are solid but aging now. Bottom 6 they have many options.

Defense we need help. Buff needs to get straightened out. Trouba and Morrissey have looked solid. Enstrom is Enstrom. Bottom pair needs to be better. Just overall more consistent play.

Goaltending. Oyy. Hellebuyck still the future. He's only 23. We need a good vet back-up. Pavs would be a good back-up I believe, if he actually stayed to he back-up role. Otherwise he needs to be gone and bring in someone else. Just move on.

There was an article posted recently on Paul Maurice last time he was fired by Carolina. Virtually identical scenario to what's happening with the Jets. Line blender out constantly. Goaltending questions. Shit defense. New coach time?

Chevy has done an okay job. But his lack of will to make trades to shore up areas is frustrating. If he's waiting until we're a legit playoff team before he makes some moves, we'll never get there I don't think. Trade for a decent LH defender maybe and a goalie. Send Hutch to the A.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan