HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 8:41 AM

El Train Overhanging Buildings in the Gold Coast, Lincoln Park (Chicago)?

I am writing a thesis about projections for a dystopian future Chicago (yes, correlating to a certain blockbuster franchise) and I am having trouble finding information about Chicago's buildings outside of the Loop. What, if any, buildings in the city are directly beneath overhead El/L lines in the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park neighborhoods? Rather than one building, they may be a part of a building cluster.

Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:26 PM

I know there's an insignificant garage / warehouse building under the brown line tracks north of Chicago avenue. There's also a wedge shaped commercial building that slips beneath the outbound platform at Paulina. Though that was a recent situation as the modern stations are wider. The red line Wilson station has a CTA commercial building beneath the tracks too. I bet there was more historically that have now been demolished as the easements posed a safety risk.

Also for the fun of mentioning it, the red line passes beneath the Chipotle building at state and division. It's a very lightweight building and gets a good shake when the trains run beneath it. It's the only non-cta structure I'm aware of that actually sits directly over top a tunnel.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:47 PM

Sheridan El Lounge - directly adjacent - and fairly dystopian.
The Original Penny's noodle shop (on Sheffield) - not very dystopian but really has (had) that urban/foreign feel.

There are a few shops and a police station in the Harlem station on the Green line.

The other end of the Carol st ROW (the light at the end of the tunnel here) opens up under the Merchandise Mart station.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 9:48 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Also for the fun of mentioning it, the red line passes beneath the Chipotle building at state and division. It's a very lightweight building and gets a good shake when the trains run beneath it. It's the only non-cta structure I'm aware of that actually sits directly over top a tunnel.
Studio Gang's building in Wicker Park (with the Aldo Shoes) sits directly above the Blue Line. It runs on a slant from the alley over to Milwaukee itself.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest