HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The inside of the Civic Centre is weirdly interesting. In the 3rd photo you can quite clearly see the supports of the north side grandstand of the football stadium.

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/67s.htm

I've been inside the arena when there was a rock concert in the stadium, and the shaking was a bit disconcerting.
I remember attending my first event in the arena in 1991, a playoff game between the 67s and Belleville Bulls... I distinctly recall how odd the whole layout appeared to me. One side reminded me of the Keystone Centre in Brandon and the other side was the Northlands Coliseum. But it worked. I went back in 2000 for another 67s game and it was weird to look around and think "this used to be a NHL arena"...

As efficient as it may be, I suppose the fact that the two facilities are conjoined twins also creates some real headaches... you can't really do anything significant with one of the venues without affecting the other. It will be interesting to see what happens with it in the near future... I'd be sad to see it get demolished but I could totally understand why that might happen.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I remember attending my first event in the arena in 1991, a playoff game between the 67s and Belleville Bulls... I distinctly recall how odd the whole layout appeared to me. One side reminded me of the Keystone Centre in Brandon and the other side was the Northlands Coliseum. But it worked. I went back in 2000 for another 67s game and it was weird to look around and think "this used to be a NHL arena"...

As efficient as it may be, I suppose the fact that the two facilities are conjoined twins also creates some real headaches... you can't really do anything significant with one of the venues without affecting the other. It will be interesting to see what happens with it in the near future... I'd be sad to see it get demolished but I could totally understand why that might happen.
Yes the Civic Centre has NHL-size dimensions on three sides, and often thought if it went all the way around at the same height, it was a perfectly fine old school NHL rink.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

For sure, it's very challenging to do something to deal with the dual role of the place. When it came time to renovate the complex for the Lasndowne redevelopment, they did minimal work on the arena and north side stands. The roof had to be repaired and part of the structure over the football stands had to be cut-off due to structural integrity issues.

http://football.ballparks.com/CFL/Ottawa/index.htm

We now have a shiny new south side stand with architectural flair matched with a basic 50+ year old north grand stand attached to an interesting looking, but aging, arena

https://www.ottawaredblacks.com/2019...lastic-straws/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 7:34 PM

Most people know the NCR's Canadian Museum of History (Civilization) and Canadian Museum of Nature, but the Canadian War Museum seems underappreciated, in part because of its relatively isolated location in LeBreton Flats. Development of the Flats, Zibi, along with moving Canada Day celebrations to Bluesfest Park during Centre Block renovations, might change that in the coming years.

The building was commissioned by the Chrétien Government to replace the cramped quarters on Sussex Drive, which had originally been built as the Dominion Archives. Designed by Moriyama & Teshima Architects, it was completed in 2005.

https://twitter.com/CanWarMuseum/sta...78440379404288

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_War_Museum

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 8:57 PM

New Westminster, despite its history and position as BC's original capital, doesn't have very much. From my understanding the former provincial legislature there was in a wooden building that no longer exists.

Nonetheless there are several historical buildings of significance: there are portions of the former BC Penitentiary that are still standing over 40 years after its closure, including the gatehouse facing East Columbia Street; there is also the former Canadian Pacific railway station which later became a Keg restaurant and is now an Irish pub. There's also the old courthouse across from The Law Courts.

Part of the lack of 19th century buildings is likely due to a massive fire in 1898 that destroyed most of downtown New West; the old CPR station was built in 1899 to replace an earlier station that was lost in that fire. There's a commemorative plaque erected on the 100th anniversary of the fire a couple blocks from where I live.

Last edited by manny_santos; Mar 25, 2021 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 12:54 PM

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 2:06 PM
The New Republic

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 3:13 PM

I worked diagonally across the street from there for seven years. I believe that sculpture cost like $5 mil or something.

It's cool, but I've never stopped to look at it. Just pass by. And I don't think I've seen anyone take a pic of it, but then again I'm not really paying attention.

The coolest thing about that place for my coworker, who rented there for a while, was that he saw LeBron working out at the gym there. The Lakers have stayed there multiple times. I've seen a handful of fans waiting outside wearing their gear.

The un-coolest thing about that place was that windows were falling out.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada