HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
There is not going to be a 'party' decade because people are not like that right now. People are risk-averse and institutionally oriented right now. The Western world is comparatively old and sterile.

We could see a partying culture emerge either during or after the next war - the natural partner of sex is death.
You really don't think people will let loose once "victory" is declared over the virus?

My fiancée literally said last night "At this point, I'd welcome getting groped just to be in a mass of bodies at a nightclub again"

All my single friends, male and female, who haven't been able to really date for going on a year, are telling me they intend to go crazy hopping into bed with people. I kinda think there's going to be an STI boom.

Our honey moon was going to be either two weeks somewhere tropical ore one week in Europe. Now we're planning 3 or 4 weeks in Aus/NZ. Fuck it, life's too short not to do the trip we really want.

I said in the other thread, I don't know how I'm not going to spend every dollar doing things I couldn't. Every invite out for drinks, every concert or sporting event, every weekend get-together -do you think people are going to say "no" to anything for the next while once the virus is beat and we're free?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:12 PM
video et taceo

Hope I'm wrong, honestly!

I don't think the virus thing is going to end quite like that, though. I think this summer will be a window, and I hope it is a fun one, but the society won't have a 'loose' feel for some time, I don't think.

It will have that again after some unpleasantness.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
You really don't think people will let loose once "victory" is declared over the virus?

My fiancée literally said last night "At this point, I'd welcome getting groped just to be in a mass of bodies at a nightclub again"

All my single friends, male and female, who haven't been able to really date for going on a year, are telling me they intend to go crazy hopping into bed with people. I kinda think there's going to be an STI boom.

Our honey moon was going to be either two weeks somewhere tropical ore one week in Europe. Now we're planning 3 or 4 weeks in Aus/NZ. Fuck it, life's too short not to do the trip we really want.

I said in the other thread, I don't know how I'm not going to spend every dollar doing things I couldn't. Every invite out for drinks, every concert or sporting event, every weekend get-together -do you think people are going to say "no" to anything for the next while once the virus is beat and we're free?
As I said in the COVID thread, I am not so sure how widespread this will be.

Obviously some people will do as you describe but I think many of us have gotten into a more cocooning, even anti-social rut that will probably be hard to break out of.

I am a pretty extroverted "social" person a priori and while my mind is definitely looking forward to parties and gatherings again, another part of me (totally unnatural prior to Mar. 13, 2020) now sees all that that involves as exhausting and complex.

I think this pandemic will have changed us (and by extension, society) in a lot of insidious ways, that we aren't even aware of yet.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 1:20 PM
video et taceo

I really hope I have just become a crank though. That would be great, all in all.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:36 PM
sick transit, gloria

I think it would also be a bit different if there was the fabled "COVID Victory Day" or whatever that was at least somewhat imagined almost a year ago. If we could pick one moment where things go from what they are now to how they used to be I think there would be that massive party. But in reality it's going to be a slow burn. There's probably going to be spaced out seating or even things like plexiglass dividers and masks in bars/restaurants for a while.

Myself and my immediate social group likely will be at the bar as soon as possible, and were at patios when we were allowed. I personally can't wait to go to my local (if it still exists) alone and chat with randoms sitting at the bar. But I don't think this extends to everyone, and I know people who I suspect will be wary of any of this for a long time.

There's also financial considerations here - both people who were negatively effected through all this and people in my situation. While I miss going out it's nice to have that much more money being funneled to things that aren't food and drink. There will be people who choose a lifestyle shift to reflect this.

I don't worry too much about the types of places I like to go to, as I think there will be a place for them, and if anything a potential drop in lease rates could make things very fun/interesting. The big picture may be a bit different, though.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Are you suggesting that the Red Scare was a rational response to the real threat of communism? .
Well, sort of. It wasn't a reaction to the Russian Revolution--post-war, post-revolution Russia was a beaten-down, never-been basket case; Comintern notwithstanding, they were more scared of the renascent Poland than anything--but to a lot of communist revolutions all over, many of which failed sooner or later.

Most Canadians don't know this, because Stephen Harper History taught us that beautiful Canadian boys carried the day at Vimy Ridge and won the shit out of WW1, but towards the end of the war, Germany was beset by communist uprisings, including one in their navy that lead to them suing for peace. In the 1920s, it was easy for German nationalists to claim that they hadn't really lost the war, and that they'd been stabbed in the back by communists. We all know how that ended up.

It's a bit teleological to say either that the red scare started because of a nuclear-armed USSR that didn't exist yet, or that it was an irrational panic over a threat that didn't amount to much.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I don't worry too much about the types of places I like to go to, as I think there will be a place for them, and if anything a potential drop in lease rates could make things very fun/interesting. The big picture may be a bit different, though.
I'm probably kidding myself but I'm hoping this turns into a setback for gentrification. I'd not mind seeing vacant storefronts left by third-wave coffee shops and hipster boutiques turned into gallery space and dive bars. Realistically, though, it's probably the lifestyle businesses that can afford being closed the least. Chains and shops financed by wealthy parents will come through even more dominant.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:34 PM
I am the law!

I'm confused. We have been and, by and large, continue to be in the midst of a roaring 20s. We are heavily reliant on cyclical economies that are being propped up to prevent the natural downturns.

I'm impressed by Biden's speech. He's not good for us at all should he start implementing any of it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:43 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm confused. We have been and, by and large, continue to be in the midst of a roaring 20s. We are heavily reliant on cyclical economies that are being propped up to prevent the natural downturns.

I'm impressed by Biden's speech. He's not good for us at all should he start implementing any of it.
It's 2021, so I'm not quite sure we can exactly say what the decade might hold for us yet. Things looked a lot different in February 2001 than a few months later.

It'll be fun when our debt problems catch up to us too. Admittedly, Biden won't care about the debt he's larding on because the doddering old folks will have milked the well dry by that point. The Baby Boom will be well on their way to punching out by then. They inherited a world with more wealth the King Midas could have ever imagined. They'll leave it a indebted husk.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Well, sort of. It wasn't a reaction to the Russian Revolution--post-war, post-revolution Russia was a beaten-down, never-been basket case; Comintern notwithstanding, they were more scared of the renascent Poland than anything--but to a lot of communist revolutions all over, many of which failed sooner or later.

Most Canadians don't know this, because Stephen Harper History taught us that beautiful Canadian boys carried the day at Vimy Ridge and won the shit out of WW1, but towards the end of the war, Germany was beset by communist uprisings, including one in their navy that lead to them suing for peace. In the 1920s, it was easy for German nationalists to claim that they hadn't really lost the war, and that they'd been stabbed in the back by communists. We all know how that ended up.

It's a bit teleological to say either that the red scare started because of a nuclear-armed USSR that didn't exist yet, or that it was an irrational panic over a threat that didn't amount to much.
I didn’t have Stephen Harper for a history teacher, but the Canadian Corps and driven the Germans from Amiens to Mons in the last 3 months of the war. The German army was pretty much kaput by the time the sailors got cranky in Kiel.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
There's not going to be a V-E day-like style party or anything. More than likely, it'll be a slow return to 'normalcy', whatever that entails.

Our options will slowly widen for entertainment. People will go back to doing what they did before. The pricing of resorts, airline tickets and whatnot will jump as people get on that bandwagon again and try to be first as they've delayed these things.

We'll slowly pick up the pieces and cope with the inevitable hangover. All those things we've not been dealing with we'll have to now.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I didn’t have Stephen Harper for a history teacher, but the Canadian Corps and driven the Germans from Amiens to Mons in the last 3 months of the war. The German army was pretty much kaput by the time the sailors got cranky in Kiel.
Yeah, the nationalists were all but technically wrong. The navy mutiny was because they were supposed to go on a suicide mission, as much as anything, and communism was a handy scapegoat, as much as anything. Even through the '20s, when communists were major shit disturbers in Germany, the Weimar strategy of appeasing the old guard and using nationalist militias to bust up the communists had more to do with the rise of the nazis than people being tired of communists disturbing shit (as the story so often goes).

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
There's not going to be a V-E day-like style party or anything. More than likely, it'll be a slow return to 'normalcy', whatever that entails.

Our options will slowly widen for entertainment. People will go back to doing what they did before. The pricing of resorts, airline tickets and whatnot will jump as people get on that bandwagon again and try to be first as they've delayed these things.

We'll slowly pick up the pieces and cope with the inevitable hangover. All those things we've not been dealing with we'll have to now.
You get the sense that people are really clamoring for that countdown moment to when it'll all be over, but I agree, it will probably be much more gradual than that.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

There is another similarity that maybe playing out right now. The 1920s was, due to the Russian Revolution, the start of the Red Scare. Even businesses tried to capitalise on this like Scott tissue paper showing an ad with a toilet with no paper and then asking the question.......Is your washroom breeding Bolsheviks? Seems odd but today China maybe taking over with a new 'Yellow Scare' as the world is waking up to the real threat it poses to our security and economic vitality.
If there was any doubt you were a delusional race baiting troll then you've cleared that up now for us all.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:10 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
It's 2021, so I'm not quite sure we can exactly say what the decade might hold for us yet. Things looked a lot different in February 2001 than a few months later.

It'll be fun when our debt problems catch up to us too. Admittedly, Biden won't care about the debt he's larding on because the doddering old folks will have milked the well dry by that point. The Baby Boom will be well on their way to punching out by then. They inherited a world with more wealth the King Midas could have ever imagined. They'll leave it a indebted husk.
The debt problem for sure in consideration the sought after jobs (in Ontario at least) provide only grey dollars to the coffers. I also think Canadian innovation is at its lowest with most private equity tied up in those cyclical economies. My concern with Biden is that he is pushing hard for innovation and American made. Trump was all about the status quo and the stock market. He supported outsourcing "overseas" jobs as long as it was profitable for American based companies. Our core industries are more attuned to Trump's policy.

There's so much potential under Biden's plan. I just think we will be too slow to react and miss out.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
If there was any doubt you were a delusional race baiting troll then you've cleared that up now for us all.
He's not actually wrong though (even if I disagree with his fear of China). People are getting very China phobic and are supporting irrational policy.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
He's not actually wrong though (even if I disagree with his fear of China). People are getting very China phobic and are supporting irrational policy.
Well, he manages to shoehorn his views on China into practically every conversation and then suddenly uses this opportunity to use a archaic and highly offensive term.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:32 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post

It seems to be a campaign. It appears Western capital is going to play hardball over the fact that China wasn't prepared to turn itself into a convenient, compliant hybrid of Germany and Mexico following its 2001 WTO accession.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
It won't end like the surrender of the Nazis though. It will be a slow process that has different phases around the world.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
Can you imagine living in the 20s?

It's like the masturbation stage of humanity that ejaculated ingenious machinery and the greatest buildings of all time, in my opinion.

Then came the sleepy period after...
Indeed. Pretty "spot on" analogy too. The art/film of the 20s was outstanding too. The (two) world's greatest skylines ever (downtown NYC, midtown NYC) may have reached their zeniths in the 1930s, but these consisted of buildings designed and started in the 1920s.

This is SSP, after all. No finer skylines have ever existed, nor will ever exist, than downtown and midtown Manhattan of the 1930s-40s. These were the pinnacles of quality skyscraper skylines. A million times better than the extremely dull blue glass boxes dominating most cities today.

reddit

Metropolis, Fritz Lang, 1927

blogspot

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada