HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 5:45 AM
Posh

USA Sprawl Festival continued: Miami, "a Third World country"

Link to the first thread in this series.
USA Sprawl Festival

Or, click on the following links to see just individual cities in that thread:

Kansas City
Some northern Denver suburbs
Albuquerque
Seattle
Las Vegas
Dallas-Fort Worth
Some western & southern Minneapolis suburbs
Orange County, Kollyfornia
Philadelphia
Tucson
Orlando
Northern Virginia/DC
Cleveland
Houston
Atlanta
Indianapolis
Long Island, New York
Jacksonville
Boston

And the 2nd round ones:

Phoenix-East
Phoenix-South
Phoenix-North
Phoenix-West
Portland
Silicon Valley
Los Angeles
San Bernardino County, Kollyfornia
San Diego - south
San Diego - north
Buffalo
Broward County, Florida
Dallas-Fort Worth II
Riverside County, Kollyfornia
Denver - south suburbs
Orange County II
Bergen and Passaic Counties, New Jersey
Milwaukee
Columbus
El Paso, with some Juarez
San Antonio
Detroit
Tampa
Cincinnati
East Bay, Kollyfornia
Sacramento, Kollyfornia
Memphis
St. Louis

Some of these older links are starting to expire. If you want to see a thread on a city whose link has expired, make a note of it in the thread and I'll give you the corresponding link in SSC.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIAMI

''Look at what has happened to Miami. It has become a Third World country. You just pick it up and take it and move it someplace. You would never know you're in the United States of America. You would certainly say you're in a Third World country.''
- U.S. Representative Tom Tancredo, Republican of Colorado -

Well, let's see if he's right.

Windows Live Local very recently added bird's eye coverage of Miami, so I collected sprawl pics for it right away.

You can these were taken not too long after a hurricane (I forget which one it was) because the damage is quite aparrent in many of these pics.

In particular, you can see blue tarpolins atop many roofs where the wind blew all or parts of people's roofs off. However, I'm still a tad confused, because there seems to be a few houses which appear to have had blue roofs anyway - maybe??

Otherwise, one of the main things I noticed from this sprawl set was how much more red/orange roofs you get in this part of Florida compared to Orlando or Jacksonville. Even Broward County didn't seem to have such a preponderance of red roofs.

Anyway, on to the pics.

Hmm. Doesn't look like a 3rd World country here.
Otherwise I do see 2 houses with blue/hurricane roofs.

If this is a 3rd World country, it looks pretty nice.

Your local favela.

More slums.

Shanties.

Lots of hurricane damage here. You can tell the older sprawl has more hurricane-damaged roofs.
However, this is one of the ?? ones I mentioned above. Some of these roofs look like they're *supposed* to be blue (???) Can any of our Miami forumers tell me if there are/were a lot of houses in Miami that had blue roofs before the hurricane, or are these ones simply ones where they had to replace the *entire* roof with some temporary blue thingy?

Browsing through Live Local, you see there is just TONS of housing around Miami which looks just like this, and like the pic immediately above.

Just lovely.

I am almost certain I went to this mall the last time I went to Miami in 1982.

Slums and donkey trails.

Business/industrial park.

Office park and apartments.

Red roof city.

Close-up of the houses in the pic above.

Another of the uber-common type, complete with hurricane-damaged roofs. If you want to know what half of metro Miami looks like, this is it.

Newer stuff, with no hurricane damage.

This is one of those new developments on the far western edge of the built-up area (near the Everglades border) where they have to set aside a huge chunk of the development as open water.

More water.

And still more water.

Yay, a shopping center.

Cool development along one of the coastal waterways.

Still more of the ultra-common type, with hurricane damage. But once again, a couple of the houses in this pic look like their roofs are *supposed* to be blue (???)

Close-up of the ultra-common type. My aunt used to live in a house like this in Kendall, except that it had an enclosed pool.

Typical newer apartments. No hurricane damage.

Some newer stuff being built along the edge of a mangrove swamp. Note the several houses which appear to be under ankle-deep water!

Not sprawl. A highrise district near a mall in south Miami. Along a transit stop, too!

This was a bit north of the pic above. It's not sprawl, but it looked cool so I just had to include it.

Sprawl? Or not sprawl?

OK . . . now we're looking at some of those "3rd World" slums. This is a fairly dumpy neighborhood in north Miami. While it certainly isn't attractive, it's a far cry from your typical 3rd World shanty. Sorry Mr Tancredo, you don't know what you're talking about.

I can't decide if these look cool in a sort-of cheesy way, or if they're just butt-ugly.

Another business/industrial park.

Enough parking?

Freeway, billboard and mobile home park. A photo set of South Florida housing wouldn't be complete without at least one mobile home park.

Definitely not sprawl. But I just couldn't resist.

More ultra-common stuff, with somewhat bigger lots. And a school.

Sprawl? Or not sprawl?

Ugh.

Cool patterns.

Another shopping center.

Defintely not sprawl. But check out the hurricane damage on the windows!

Houses along the beach. Sprawl? Or not sprawl?

Sprawl? Or not sprawl?

More newer stuff in western Dade County with the big water set-aside areas.

OK, here's a close-up of what I was talking about with the hurricane damage. Most of them are obviously blue tarpolins on people roofs. But the one at the bottom-right almost looks like the roof is *supposed* to be blue. Or do they just have a tarpolin covering the entire roof????

Business park along some water.

More typical apartments.

Another shopping center. Part of the sprawl, of course.

Lovely.

More "3rd World" slums in north Miami.

Beautiful!!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 6:34 AM

cool thread Bond! I have seen some blue barrel tile roofs before but the majority of what's depicted are tarps and yes they cover the whole roof sometimes. The highrises next to the train station is a TOD called downtown Dadeland which is across from the Dadeland mall in Kendall. Also the pic with the highrises missing windows was the wrath of Hurrican Wilma in the Brickell district!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 7:02 AM
Posh

^
Wilma! Yeah that's it, I couldn't remember the name.

So, the whole-blue roofs *are* tarpolins. Alright that answers the mystery. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 7:51 AM

Some of the Miami aerials look pretty nice to me. Also in the Dallas shots a lot of the garages are in the back of the homes. I mentioned that because to some it seems to be so important not to be in the front.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 7:56 AM
Posh

Talking Cool shot

Here's a really cool far-away shot they had showing the engineering stuff they have to do to create "land" near the edges of the Everglades.

It's real big so I'll thumbnail it.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 7:57 AM
Future God

Solid Gold!

Not that i'm an authority or anything, but I would personally still consider that somewhat sprawly, although it looks like itsa changin!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 1:41 PM

Nice tour, but you need some more shots of Hialeah.
I recognize a few them and at least a couple are in Broward county.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 10:43 PM

As always with this series, good work!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions