HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:06 PM

Compare to suburban Atlanta, this neighbourhood east of Alpharetta, has an average block size of 71 acres and the median is considerably worse considering about half the neighbourhood (~500-600 acres, highlighted in white) is basically a single block.

I guess suburban Orlando is not as bad, for the most part. It's still a suburban style street network but with considerably better connectivity than suburban Atlanta, with an average block size of 17.6 acres in this neighbourhood.

For more stereotypical Houston sprawl, this neighbourhood around Mission Bend has an average block size of 16.8 acres.

For comparison's sake, the standard Manhattan block is about 5 acres and in central Philadelphia it's about 2 acres. Chicago and San Francisco are similar to Manhattan at 4-5 acres.

BTW the Bay Area is one of the places that could rival Houston for 5th place, but only if you combine San Francisco and Oakland (and their "suburbs"), and even the I don't think it's completely obvious. The Bay Area streetgrids stretch a long distance North-South but are narrow East-West.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
So according to you, the SE section of Bellaire is "obviously not" on a street grid, and neither is the area around Braes Blvd?
South of Bellaire Blvd, in SW corner of the 610 loop, no, nothing is remotely gridded. It's all windy streets, dead ends, loops, just typical suburban sprawl, especially around that waterway.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
South of Bellaire Blvd, in SW corner of the 610 loop, no, nothing is remotely gridded. It's all windy streets, dead ends, loops, just typical suburban sprawl, especially around that waterway.
Uh-huh... And Long Island City is typical suburban sprawl too, look at all those dead ends!
https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.7459318,-73.9416466,17z

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Note that Houston's 610 loop is 97 square miles. Even if you exclude the superblock industrial areas, Memorial Park and Astrodome area, you've got 76 square miles. There's very little of those 76 square miles I would exclude even using very strict criteria and there's still neighbourhoods outside 610 that are on a grid too.

Are you saying Pecan Park is not on a grid? Or West University Place? I'm pretty sure they have a better interconnected street network than Garden Grove.
Lol. First of all garden grove is 30 +:miles from la. Youre comparing that to 5 miles away from downtown houston?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Southeast Houston, outside the 610 loop - average block size of 7.4 acres

One of the more gridded parts of the San Fernando Valley - average block size of 8.7 acres

Garden Grove - average block size of 14.9 acres

I would say the SE Houston and SFV neighbourhoods are roughly equally well gridded, but Garden Grove is less gridded, although still much better than suburban Atlanta or suburban Orlando.

Quite a bit of Houston is like SE Houston, at least 100 square miles, maybe even over 150 square miles.
Garden grove and sfv valley look more interconnected to me, regardless of block size.

Every half mile you hit a commercial street or secondary street in either direction. That promotes pedestrian activity.
Nobodys going to walk anywhere if there's nothing to walk to.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Garden grove and sfv valley look more interconnected to me, regardless of block size.

Every half mile you hit a commercial street or secondary street in either direction. That promotes pedestrian activity.
Nobodys going to walk anywhere if there's nothing to walk to.
RE: nothing to walk to... Houston's zoning (especially in core areas) should help ensure that once there's demand, there will be stuff to walk to. Obviously part of the problem is Houston is mostly low density, but LA was less dense in the past too, so that's something that can change (and seems to be changing in Houston's case, especially in the West side).

The SE Houston neighbourhood I linked is around 5000-6000 ppsm, the SFV one is around 15000 ppsm and the Garden Grove one around 10000 ppsm.

As for the secondary streets, you do have a point there, I would say a lot of Houston is more like small grids that are often not that well connected to each other, while LA is more like block groups that are well connected to each other (ie good grid of arterials/collectors) but might have loops and dead ends inside them (not always, but in Garden Grove there are some). Not sure which is more important... maybe the arterial/collector density, at least for population densities under 40,000 ppsm or so, although I would still say SE Houston is similar to Garden Grove in that regard (though not as good as the SFV neighbourhood).

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 2:40 PM

^^Better examples would have been southwest, west, and northwest Houston over SE Houston, which doesn't have the greatest grid, though still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Of course is does, as everyone knows.

However, you made this ridiculous claim: "Atlanta is not built in a grid at all and instead has winding country roads."

Downtown/Midtown and surrounding core areas are built on a grid that has existed since the founding of the City.

If you had ever actually been here, you would know this. Google maps are your friend, Trae.
Well of course the downtown areas are, like in literally every other city, but I was talking about outside of them (what the conversation was about). And how do you know I have never been to Atlanta? Have no idea why you got so defensive over that.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Uh-huh... And Long Island City is typical suburban sprawl too, look at all those dead ends!
https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.7459318,-73.9416466,17z
No, they're nothing alike, and I have no idea what you're even arguing here.

Every street grid on earth has dead ends somewhere, and I'm specifically referring to an area of inner Houston with winding streets, cul de sacs, and random streets starting and stopping with dead ends, none of which are present in Long Island City.

Grids have almost nothing to with potential walkability or transit orientation, so I don't even get the point. Generally the best urban environments aren't on grids.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 5:42 PM
TL;DR

The Houston example is typical 1930s-1960s Gulf Coast suburbia... advanced notions like culdesacs and winding patterns hadn't made it down here yet, but to keep infrastructure costs to a minimum, railroads and open drainage canals were built with as few crossings as possible. Grids and rectangular lots were cheap to survey and produced consistent lots and home sizes . This made areas that are nominally gridded but not at all connective.

Apart from the California lack of shade and beige-everywhere appearance, I'd much rather be a pedestrian in Garden Groves... Seems like the 1/4 mile grid of streets is a nice scale and ensures good connections .

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 5:43 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

I want to visit the "Lake of Doom" in Orlando.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Well of course the downtown areas are, like in literally every other city, but I was talking about outside of them (what the conversation was about).
That is clearly not what you said at all, by any stretch.

Quote:
And how do you know I have never been to Atlanta? Have no idea why you got so defensive over that.
Because you've been making ridiculous claims and statements about the place for years now. It's beyond evident that you've never been.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I want to visit the "Lake of Doom" in Orlando.
And where exactly would this be?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
That is clearly not what you said at all, by any stretch.
No, you're wrong. The talk was clearly about metro areas. Every downtown core in America is built on a grid, so that is nothing special at all.

Quote:
Because you've been making ridiculous claims and statements about the place for years now. It's beyond evident that you've never been.
Lmao, you are going to try and get on me about things i may have said when i was 14? Post something. Look, Atlanta has winding country roads. I'm sorry, old Indian trails that are no roads that still go around in curves. You never corrected anything there.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
No, you're wrong. The talk was clearly about metro areas. Every downtown core in America is built on a grid, so that is nothing special at all.
No, they are not all on a grid - and nice try at a back peddling. Ever heard of a little place called Boston? And no again, the talk was not "clearly" about metro areas. It was about the extent of the grids in urban cores and surrounding neighborhoods.

And this is exactly what you said: "I don't know about that. Houston (and Dallas) are built in large grids just like LA. Houston, in particular, is developing in an LA type way, especially points west and southwest. Atlanta is not built in a grid at all and instead has winding country roads. "

Not only is this not true, you seem to imply that Houston is developing in 'an LA type way' while you completely dismiss Atlanta as if it were some country-ass town. Again, something you have done for years.

Quote:
Lmao, you are going to try and get on me about things i may have said when i was 14? Post something. Look, Atlanta has winding country roads. I'm sorry, old Indian trails that are no roads that still go around in curves. You never corrected anything there.
Exactly - seems as if you would know better by now. Yet you still spew things about Atlanta you have absolutely no clue of, and are still unable to admit that you are wrong when called out. You continue to make the case that you have never been here.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
No, they are not all on a grid - and nice try at a back peddling. Ever heard of a little place called Boston? And no again, the talk was not "clearly" about metro areas. It was about the extent of the grids in urban cores and surrounding neighborhoods.

And this is exactly what you said: "I don't know about that. Houston (and Dallas) are built in large grids just like LA. Houston, in particular, is developing in an LA type way, especially points west and southwest. Atlanta is not built in a grid at all and instead has winding country roads. "

Not only is this not true, you seem to imply that Houston is developing in 'an LA type way' while you completely dismiss Atlanta as if it were some country-ass town. Again, something you have done for years.
Lmao, no one said Atlanta is some country town, nor did anyone imply that. That is just in your own mind. And no, it was metro areas. The talk was about sprawl here and the different types in different cities. And those sides I mentioned of Houston, as well as North Dallas are developing in that way. Go pull out a map and see for yourself. It is nothing like Atlanta if you go similar miles away from the core. Sorry bud, you aren't making much sense.

Quote:
Exactly - seems as if you would know better by now. Yet you still spew things about Atlanta you have absolutely no clue of, and are still unable to admit that you are wrong when called out. You continue to make the case that you have never been here.
I didn't say anything that was wrong though. No one is attacking Atlanta here.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 11:50 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
And where exactly would this be?
Left-center in the Orlando map posted above?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Left-center in the Orlando map posted above?
LOL! I didn't even see that on the map.

This is a nice area, with a lot of white collar jobs and great schools - it's been booming for a while now. That lake is a large version of a retention pond, nothing more.

When I was in High School, this area of suburban Orlando was nothing but orange groves as far as you could see. Pretty sad.

Last edited by atlantaguy; Sep 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Lmao, no one said Atlanta is some country town, nor did anyone imply that. That is just in your own mind. And no, it was metro areas. The talk was about sprawl here and the different types in different cities. And those sides I mentioned of Houston, as well as North Dallas are developing in that way. Go pull out a map and see for yourself. It is nothing like Atlanta if you go similar miles away from the core. Sorry bud, you aren't making much sense.
Spin it any way you wish, this has been your song and dance for years.

AGAIN, you said: "Atlanta is not built in a grid at all and instead has winding country roads."

You can't erase it, make it go away or claim you never said it. It's out there now.

It's wrong, you know it is and yet you refuse to admit it. What's in the water down there?

Quote:
I didn't say anything that was wrong though. No one is attacking Atlanta here.
Yes, you did say something wrong. And creating a strawman re: attacking Atlanta that doesn't exist hardly helps your credibility. You said what you said.

Own up to it, or shut the hell up about Atlanta until you know what you are talking about.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Grids have almost nothing to with potential walkability or transit orientation, so I don't even get the point. Generally the best urban environments aren't on grids.
This is what started the argument about size of street grids. My argument is that I disagree about lumping Houston and Atlanta together while making out LA as being so different from LA. Atlanta's downtown grid transitions into a very suburban street network much faster and becomes cul-de-sac dominated across a much larger part of the metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenseCityPlease View Post
In comparing the ten or so sprawling post-war boom towns of the American sunbelt, Los Angeles is far and away the most urban of the group by simple virtue of the fact that it was already geographically larger and more populous than any of its sunbelt peer cities by WWII. In fact compared to Dallas or Houston or Atlanta at that time, it was an order of magnitude larger.

Within the 500 square mile City of Los Angeles, the cul-de-sac as a typology is non-existent. The city is characterized by a vast and unrelenting grid divided by four lane arterials, or in rare cases six lanes, dozens of which are lined with commercial and residential buildings that meet the sidewalk. Many of these commercial strips are over 10 miles long.

That most people drive is well known, but even those who live in single family homes are, almost without exception, never more then a 5-7 minutes walk from a commercial arterial with neighborhood shops. This is the reason L.A. will have more success than any other sunbelt city in reorganizing itself around rail transit. It's built from and urban character have far more in common with Queens, N.Y. then Houston or Atlanta.
Quote:
I don't know about that. Houston (and Dallas) are built in large grids just like LA. Houston, in particular, is developing in an LA type way, especially points west and southwest. Atlanta is not built in a grid at all and instead has winding country roads.
Houston's street network has much more of a street grid element to it than Atlanta which I think will allow it to reorganize around transit more if it wants to. Obviously it will need more density, but you are seeing West Houston densify quite a bit. Keep in mind LA used to be less dense than it is now and was about the same density as Houston back in 1950/1960. So issues related to density, including how much retail is within walking distance, can be overcome.

From the POV of how a street grid impacts urbanization/densification, there's two main points, the fact that streets and homes are well connected to each other at a local level, and that the arterial grid on which buses and light rail can travel, where you want them to be relatively straight and sufficiently closely spaced.

Atlanta is much worse than Houston on both points. Some European cities don't have very good arterial grids in their historic (Medieval) cores, and they would be a pain to serve by surface transit on a large scale. Fortunately these areas are typically pretty small, and often have subways that don't have to follow streets, so it's doesn't turn out to be a problem.

Quote:
No, they're nothing alike, and I have no idea what you're even arguing here.

Every street grid on earth has dead ends somewhere, and I'm specifically referring to an area of inner Houston with winding streets, cul de sacs, and random streets starting and stopping with dead ends, none of which are present in Long Island City.
If you're talking about some place like this, it's pretty similar to Long Island City.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Hou...0d02def365053b
The dead ends aren't there because they intentionally wanted the streets to be disconnected, they're there because there's a railroad. Same as Long Island City although the railway lands in Long Island City are much larger and would be much more expensive to build street crossings through/over. Maybe Bayside, Queens is a better comparison

If you're talking about places like this as having winding streets

That's really semantics. For all intents and purposes it functions more like a standard street grid than anything else. Gentle curves like that don't really make a difference for anything.

You do have stuff like this in parts of Houston
I'd consider those super blocks. It's not ideal, but in that area, they aren't too dominant. New York has its housing projects which are on super blocks too, but fortunately they don't make up the majority of the city so it can still work. Also parts of the LA area are similar functionally, including that area of Garden Grove.

This block in SW Houston functions a bit like a smaller super block
There's a couple cul-de-sacs and a crescent/loop, but the dominant form of the surrounding blocks is still a street grid so it's not really a big deal.

This area is more of a pseudo-grid
The internal connectivity is still pretty good, it's still much better than suburban Atlanta. But I generally did not count these pseudo grid areas as "street grid neighbourhoods".

Houston just needs to connect a few gaps, build some crossings (at least for pedestrians) across those drainage ditches and railroads and it should be good.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Outside of Downtown/Midtown and several core neighborhoods, Atlanta is not built in a grid at all and instead has winding farm to market and Native America trading paths that became roads.
That's not the most relevant difference though. What you're saying is mostly just for the arterials. I highly doubt these streets were ever anything other than residential cul-de-sacs
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Atl...fede2f990b630b

It improves a bit getting close to the core
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Atl...fede2f990b630b
Although even there it's not too great. It's not a big deal that Lavista Rd is winding a bit. The problem is the minor collectors (Briarlake, Fair Oaks) are short, so it's a pain to operate transit on those types of streets, and there are too few longer arterials like Lavista.

It would still have been possible to build new arterials, in between the original ones (the former trading paths or whatnot), just like many cities in the SW or Canada will build new arterials in between the concession lines as a suburban area gets built up. And there's nothings saying you couldn't have better connectivity between the arterials with the side streets, instead of just the cul-de-sacs that are especially common outside the Perimeter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions