HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 8:55 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 9:17 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Bannerman Park is one of the wealthiest neighbourhoods in old St. John's. Most of the homes were mansions in their time and our former Parliament and Governor General's residence are both in the neighbourhood.

Circular Road:

The Ryan Mansion:

Within old St. John's there are several neighbourhoods like this, including Waterford Bridge at the opposite end of the historic residential core.

Most of the residential areas in old St. John's have homes that were upper-middle class in their time. Almost all have garrets (low-ceiling upper floors that housed servants' quarters) and the lifestyle enjoyed by residents of these homes was probably more upper class than most upper class residents live today:

There are also areas - such as Rennie's River and Bishop's Gate - where large estates were divided up and more contemporary mansions (by our standards) were built:

Beyond that, you have the far-flung suburbs, with houses costing multiple millions of dollars. But these are all new money areas that don't carry the same prestige and offer a much more rural lifestyle.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 9:58 AM
BANNED

The Village of Kenilworth, Illinois.

The Village of Winnetka, Illinois.

The Village of Wilmette, Illinois.

In that order.

You can also find some rather handsome mansions sparingly spread throughout the city, such as down in Kenwood on the south side.

There are also a handful of notable ones in the Gold Coast. Most notably, the Archbishop's Residence and the old Playboy Mansion.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 11:13 AM

Jacksonville: Ortega, San Marco, Avondale, San Jose.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I think most of London qualifies... at least for having lots of huge single family homes on leafy streets, if not all detached. But single-family detached, connected rowhouses and multi-family buildings are all intermingled throughout the city.

Some examples...

Kensington & Chelsea has a lot of single family houses, occasionally detached, but not consistently so. This is the Boltons... technically not detached as each building generally consists of two houses side by side, but close enough:
https://goo.gl/maps/XdhR4

West Hampstead... quite a few detached houses: https://goo.gl/maps/ccHjr

Highgate... pretty suburban: https://goo.gl/maps/jZy6H

Going west, here's Chiswick: https://goo.gl/maps/d266Z

And south of the river, Richmond: https://goo.gl/maps/gqtxi

Wimbledon is pretty suburban: https://goo.gl/maps/LQfVk

And Barnes: https://goo.gl/maps/Ky6ls

I could go on and on but won't. Maybe I'll post some pics tomorrow, but Streetview is just as good.

If you dropped me in any of those places, I'd think I was in Queens. Except the first one, that one is distinctly London.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 6:02 AM
Fourth and Main

Winston-Salem has several of these. It's one of the things that surprises people when they move to Winston-Salem. It's also bad for density. Winston-Salem was one of the nation's top 25 industrial centers, at the height of the American Industrial Revolution. This city had great wealth and they loved to show it off. You'll find the work of many famous architects in these neighborhoods! These are all "old money" historic neighborhoods. No, Winston-Salem is not in the northeast or mid-west, though at times it may seem like it is.

Mansion Districts in Winston-Salem:
Reynolda
West Highlands
Country Club
West End
Washington Park
Buena Vista
Alta Vista (African-American Mansion District)
Victorian Millionaire's Row (mostly demolished)
Cherry Street Millionaires Row (half-demolished)

Reynolda:
The biggest houses are in Winston-Salem's Reynolda neighborhood. Sometimes it's called Reynolda Park Neighborhood, but I think the correct name is Reynolda? The largest of these houses was built around 1917 and is around 75,000 square feet, if I remember correctly? Yes, this inside Winston-Salem's city limits and this neighborhood has no density at all. These houses are hidden from the street, at the end of long driveways, often behind huge gates. Homes in Reynolda included their own private airplane landing strips, private golf course, elegant gardens, private lakes, a tourist attraction Modern Farm with a popular dairy business (converted to boutique retail stores about 35 years ago), an internationally respected anthropology museum, a conference center, polo grounds, world class art museums, one house had its own Tudor-style Methodist church (now it's open to anyone), and kid's playhouses that are bigger than my house! This neighborhood has the only Lord & Burnham Conservatory in the Southeast and has a major private university! The neighborhood did have its own amusement park at one time, with a small train, ferris wheel, sports center, rollerskating arena, etc.,. As you can tell, this neighborhood was... and still is... a tourist attraction for the city.

Credit: Nathan Hatch

Built in 1929; designed by famous New England architectural firm Peabody, Wilson & Brown. The firm has work in only three states. This is a rare example of their work outside New York. Blanket money built this house: Chatham Blankets was the world's largest blanket manufacturer.

Credit: David Rolfe

The Middleton House was built in 1829 and is on the National Register of Historical Places. This is the oldest house in Reynolda. This house occupied one of the smaller lots in the neighborhood, on a 100 acre wooded family compound. Yes, the NRHP listing says wooded family compound. New York's Ellen Biddle Shipman, one of the foremost female landscape architects in the country whose clientele included some of the nation's greatest industrialists, was hired in 1930 to redesign the grounds for the house. All of her work on this house survives.

Credit: Susan Smith

The house Camel Cigarettes and Prince Albert in a Can built! Philadelphia architect Charles Barton Keen is largely credited with creating this style of house for wealth industrialists in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. When he designed this house for Kathryn Reynolds in 1914, he become Winston-Salem's favorite architect. His work was so much in demand, he opened an office at 8 W. Third Street in downtown Winston-Salem. You can tell his work by looking for the original "green roofs" around the city. This is the house where celebrated Broadway actress Libby Holman shot wealthy aviator Zachary Reynolds in 1932. It was a major national news story and the basis for three movies, Reckless, starring Jean Harlow, and Written on the Wind. Sing, Sinner, Sing, the novel and film by Robert Wilder, was also based on this and later became the basis for the TV show Dallas. They changed the source of wealth in the story from tobacco to oil. Yes, it was that big of a national story!

Credit: Scott

Credit: Brian Leon

The beautiful gardens are the work of famed Philadelphia landscape architect Thomas Sears, in 1917. His work in Reynolda is on the National Register of Historic Places and was restored a few years ago by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Most of his work is found in Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, and Winston-Salem. Thank you to the Smithsonian Institution for information on Sears. This is one of the featured works on their site.

Credit: ugardener

Source: Preservation North Carolina

James Gray's father was the founder of Wachovia Bank, which became the nation's 4th largest bank, at its peak. Wachovia is the company that built the 30-story Winston Tower, 8 W. Third (oldest steel frame skyscraper in North Carolina), West End Center, and Wells Fargo Center (the tallest skyscraper in Winston-Salem). The house was featured in Forbes Magazine, when it was under construction. James and Nathalie Gray were world travelers and would buy the entire rooms from houses and buildings they liked, during their travels, for their new home. Yes, they would buy the painted ceilings, paneled walls, stonework, and fireplaces, dating back centuries in age and they asked their architect to design a house around it. The oldest item in the house is a 15th Century French carved stone doorway! I am guessing this is illegal today? I'll post a few examples below!

This was once the lobby of a French hotel!

Credit: Graylyn

The hand carved gessoed and gilded panels are from a mosque, built in the 1800s, in Constantinople, Turkey.

Credit: Carolina Epicurean

I love this Art Deco pool!

Credit: Susan Smith

Matt's Photography Collection

This (image above) is now a boutique hotel, called The Mews, if I'm not mistaken? It was part of the polo grounds. This house is a popular place for weddings and meetings. A number of presidents and celebrities have stayed here, from former President Carter to Oprah.

Yes, the house was built around the rooms and items they bought on their travels! You can see why it was in a major magazine, during construction!

Credit: Livability

This is Reynolda Village, built around 1917. The modern farm tourist attraction that was converted to retail and restaurants. You can also see some of the city's interesting topography. A bus would take visitors from downtown to the modern farm, where farmers could learn the latest practices and see the latest equipment. The farm had a dairy, which supplied milk to many residents (remember the milkman at your door?).

Credit: Reynolda Village

Matt's Photography Collection

This 1920s Norman Revival home is the house T-shirts and underwear built. Yes, Hanes! I had to assemble this from multiple photographs! It's even bigger than this, with another wing to the left and two larger wings in the back! No one has a photograph showing the entire house. This house actually features a "Big Game" hunting lodge, with trophies from around the world. The wallpaper is original, which I found interesting enough to remember for this post. This is also a place people commonly report as haunted.

Credit: Art Info

(Above) The Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art (SECCA). This is one of two must see art museums in the Reynolda Neighborhood. Most people visiting Winston-Salem usually want to know where these two art museums or the Anthropology Museum are. They are in the Reynolda Neighborhood!

Demolished:

Credit: NC Modernists

Sadly, this beautiful home from 1939 was demolished, but it was the most interesting in the neighborhood, so I thought I would include it. I love the Streamline Moderne style!

This is just the Reynolda Neighborhood. Would you like short tours of some of Winston-Salem's other interesting mansion districts?

Last edited by Matthew; Aug 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Of course Atlanta has some incredible mansion areas - in fact, Peachtree street was once full of them, but now replaced by high rises. Buckhead is the area that is most famous with the Swan house setting a standard. The best visulas are to simply go to google aerial and zoom in on some of these monsters.
Buckhead is definitely Atlanta's most famous mansion district, but Inman Park (Atlanta's oldest streetcar suburb) has some great mansions too - almost comparable with Buckhead:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=6

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=9

Old Posted Aug 30, 2014, 9:23 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Pittsburgh: I'd say around 30% of the neighborhoods in the city are mansion districts. These old cities like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland were just unbelievably wealthy for a few decades in time, hence the term gilded age. A lot of these places will probably never be matched because of anti-monopoly laws that exist now. Hence the term robber barons.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 3:12 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the second one down the Reynold's Mansion from Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the second one down the Reynold's Mansion from Always Sunny in Philadelphia?
It could very well be. Most of the show is shot in LA.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 5:23 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

For better (an endowment of gorgeous historic mansions) or worse (a legacy of socioeconomic inequality), St. Louis is the cradle of the "private place". There are big old houses scattered throughout the city but the private streets of the Central West End would probably be our mansion "districts".

Big Old Houses: "Oz" in St. Louis from New York Social Diary

St. Louis Neighborhoods: Private Places

IMAGE SOURCE

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 10:07 PM

Most people don't know about the upscale swaths of Etobicoke (An inner suburb in the western-most end of Toronto)

Parts of Etobicoke are reminiscent of exurban New England:

North Drive

Ashley Park and Edgehill Road

But Etobicoke is pretty modest compared to what's going up in Toronto's outer suburbs.

National Estates, Woodbridge

Even the subdivisions nearby have monster homes.

Woodbridge has its own disney castle!

Last edited by yaletown_fella; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 5:50 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

we've entered an age wherein often the "poor" have better taste than ones with the means to build their "dream homes."

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:22 AM

Senneville is a small town on the northwestern tip of the island of Montreal with the largest mansions and estates. Most date from the 1860's through the 1930's but a lot of more recent huge additions are found there. Lots of boathouses.and helipads there. On the southwestern side of the West Island from Dorval through Pointe-Claire, Beaconsfield, Baie d'Urfé there are a lot or mansions on smaller plots. The Saraguay neighborhood along Gouin Boulevard also has some pretty impressive old.manor houses mixed with newer shlocky mcmansions with a fair bit of goomba types living in them. That is: a number of the Rizzuto clan associates, many of whom have been eliminated recently. Ile Bizard is a small Island in that general area that boasts a lot of mansions too. Ex Prime Minister Pauline Marois' house used to be there.
Off Island suburbs of.Hudson and St-Lazare are not too shabby in the mansion dept either.

In the inner city the towns of Westmount, Outremont, Hampstead and Town of Mount Royal have huge houses on smaller lots. Westmount and Outremont are the most impressive as the houses there afford majestic views of the city on the south and north slopes of Mount Royal, the mountain that sits in the middle of the city.
http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-...u.aspx?id=4442

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 10:01 AM

It should be noted that with regards to Westmount and Outremont - a large portion of each have attached housing and more modest sized housing. These are the 'lower' sections. Both are wonderfully preserved ... gorgeous really...and feature some of the best urban fabric of Montreal. I'd prefer living in these areas over the 'upper' sections... Assuming I could afford it of course.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
It should be noted that with regards to Westmount and Outremont - a large portion of each have attached housing and more modest sized housing. These are the 'lower' sections. Both are wonderfully preserved ... gorgeous really...and feature some of the best urban fabric of Montreal. I'd prefer living in these areas over the 'upper' sections... Assuming I could afford it of course.

I also am impressed by the lower sections and am not particularly into the mansion type houses. The very solid kind of architecture you find on the streets
above and below Sherbrooke in Westmount and the ones around Bernard and Laurier in Outremont are the most pleasant to my eye. I prefer Westmount and Outremont because of the nice hilly prospects that are lacking in the other posh municipalities and boroughs of Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 2:50 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Toronto's most prominent "mansion districts" are Rosedale, Forest Hill, and the Bridle Path, though there are other small pockets of mansions like the areas posted above.

Rosedale is the original, having started being developed in the early 1800s amongst the ravines just north of what is now the downtown core. Mostly Victorian in design, it is home to much of the city's most notable old money families.

rosedale
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007 - ROSEDALE 016
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007 - ROSEDALE 040
by ettml, on Flickr

Rosedale: Larkin House
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007 - ROSEDALE - LORNE HALL 1873
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007 - ROSEDALE 020
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007 - ROSEDALE 021
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007 - ROSEDALE 028
by ettml, on Flickr

Integral House, Toronto Ontario
by Greg's Southern Ontario, on Flickr

Toy-ronto's Rosedale on April's Golden Hour
by Katrin Ray, on Flickr

Winter on Glen Rd
by AshtonPal, on Flickr

Forest Hill was built up in the early 1900s and is home to much of the Jewish old money as well as wealthy Montreal transplants. In contrast to Rosedale's Victorian style, Gothic Revival, Tudor, and Georgian Revival feature more prominently.

TORONTO 2007- FOREST HILL 050
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007- FOREST HILL 067
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007 - FOREST HILL
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007 - FOREST HILL 006
by ettml, on Flickr

TORONTO 2007 - "bellevue" 1886
by ettml, on Flickr

The Bridle Path is the newest and by far the most suburban of the bunch, consisting solely of large lot estates. Current houses on the market range from $3.6 million to $28.8 million, with the majority being over $10 million. Mostly ostentatious piles of poor taste, these are the types of homes popular with ultra-rich foreign buyers.

http://www.realtor.ca/Index.aspx

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
If you dropped me in any of those places, I'd think I was in Queens. Except the first one, that one is distinctly London.
Eh, I don't think there's any chance of mistaking most of these areas for Forest Hills. At least not if you go into Streetview or look at the high (main) streets.

But then this is in Hampstead, still within Greater London's "city limits":

So there are areas that look like an English Beverly Hills.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:23 PM

Here's the most ridiculous (private) mansion in London, though. Just off Knightsbridge in Rutland Gardens, close to Hyde Park:

https://goo.gl/maps/iZp5m

It was on the market a couple of years ago for £300 million ($494 million):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19571104

Note that either Google Maps has the address in the wrong place or the Daily Mail posted photos of the wrong building (on the other side of Rutland Gate), but they are very similar buildings either way.

Last edited by 10023; Sep 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 3:26 PM
not a NIMBY

West Vancouver has in my opinion the finest setting and weather in Canada.
Lots of mansions, most hidden from view. There are other mansion areas in the Vancouver area such as Point Grey, Kerrisdale, and Shaughnessy

West Vancouver columns with a view by LUMIN8, on Flickr

living in the clouds by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Stairmaster McMansion by LUMIN8, on Flickr

In Calgary, Mount Royal is the preeminent mansion district.
Once called American Hill, it is situated just south of downtown.
Durham Avenue by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Roxboro, situated on the Elbow river just south of downtown, has one of the highest household incomes in Calgary, but was heavily damaged in the big flood of June 2013.
Some home owners have chosen to be bought out by the province and the houses will be torn down.

The River and Roxboro flood house by LUMIN8, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions