HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 7:37 PM

Cool. With these renovations and the new starbucks etc acrross the street, Elmwood is getting a nice makeover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Wow, so the renos currently under way to Elmwood Plaza are more extensive then I thought! That will be a huge improvement to the hodgepodge look it currently has.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Wow, so the renos currently under way to Elmwood Plaza are more extensive then I thought! That will be a huge improvement to the hodgepodge look it currently has.
Good, that area will end up looking a whole lot better with the new development across the street.

BTW, does this area, approximately defined by McLaughlin, Morton and Elmwood, have a neighborhood name at all? It's been a prominent commercial and residential area for a long time yet I've never heard anyone refer to it other than citing specific street names. Seems like all other areas of the city have a neighborhood name.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 8:27 PM

I grew up in that area and we always called it Sunny Acres, or Sunny Acres West which I believe is its official name.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 8:28 PM
real estate blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Good, that area will end up looking a whole lot better with the new development across the street.

BTW, does this area, approximately defined by McLaughlin, Morton and Elmwood, have a neighborhood name at all? It's been a prominent commercial and residential area for a long time yet I've never heard anyone refer to it other than citing specific street names. Seems like all other areas of the city have a neighborhood name.

A portion of the area above would be part of Humphrey (Humphreys Mills). Another portion of the above would be part of Sunny Brae, where Elmwood and McLaughlin meet. The newer subdivisions out by the TCH would be Fairview Knoll and Sunny Acres West.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 11:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

We now have access to the initial plans for the proposed commercial property on the NW corner of the TCH/Elmwood Drive intersection:

This is of course a very rough initial render, but it is pretty obvious that this project will be nothing more than a very generic highway commercial development. The only confirmed tenant so far is the Elmwood Home Hardware, but it's pretty obvious that there will be a small self storage facility at the end of the cul-de-sac.

Otherwise, the remaining proposed buildings seem to be an amalgam of a gas bar, coffee shops, fast food emporiums and a small strip mall. I'm sure they plan to draw business off of the adjacent TCH.

I must admit that I am disappointed. I was expecting more from this project. One thing is for certain - there is no sign of a Bass Pro Shop in this development, so I guess we can remove an Elmwood Drive location from further speculation as the home of the new BPS.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 11:39 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

If they made an effort, that development could be half as big and hold just as much... waste of land.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:11 PM

So would the building on the right be the Home Hardware? Looks a lot less convenient for a neighbourhood hardware store.

What could that large building on the left be? Not a lot of parking for it's size.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:

So would the building on the right be the Home Hardware? Looks a lot less convenient for a neighbourhood hardware store.

What could that large building on the left be? Not a lot of parking for it's size.
I don't think most of those buildings are actually planned, just placeholders.

Still, what a terrible looking development. An ultra-low density, unplanned road to nowhere. Looks like they just plan on selling individual lots as they go along.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 9:03 PM

I think it's just a preliminary development. I checked the PDF from the minutes and it app appears that is just a rough idea.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 11:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

I suspect both buildings together will constitute the Elmwood Home Hardware. If you look at the lot plan, they are both on a single lot (14-05). Perhaps one building would be retail and the other a building supplies depot? Just a thought.

In any event, I agree with other posters, the rendering of the development is only preliminary and I suspect most buildings shown are just placeholders. It is obvious however that this will be a generic low density highway commercial development lacking any form of sophistication or interest (unless you are a traveller on the TCH looking for a coffee and a washroom).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It is obvious however that this will be a generic low density highway commercial development lacking any form of sophistication or interest (unless you are a traveller on the TCH looking for a coffee and a washroom).
In which case you could stop at one of the previous exits haha.

I also suspect that one of the buildings could be a Home Furniture.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 12:54 PM

A new site for l'École Champlain has been chosen. Here's quote from todays T&T
"The Times & Transcript has learned the new school will be built in the Grove Hamlet area, off Shediac Road, in Moncton’s east end"

GNB will make the official announcement today.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 1:54 PM

Congrates on the new school location.

Let me be the first to ask, why didn't Moncton High go there?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habskilla View Post
Let me be the first to ask, why didn't Moncton High go there?
A very good question indeed!!!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:18 PM

Email sent to Marie-Claude.Blais@gnb.ca.

I wonder which form letter response I'm going to get?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
A new site for l'École Champlain has been chosen. Here's quote from todays T&T
"The Times & Transcript has learned the new school will be built in the Grove Hamlet area, off Shediac Road, in Moncton’s east end"

GNB will make the official announcement today.
Further to the above:

Site for École Champlain unveiled
Friday, August 01, 2014
Times and Transcript
By: Ginabeth Roberts

In just two years francophone students in Moncton’s east end will be unpacking their backpacks and sharpening their pencils at a new school.

The site of the future École Champlain was officially unveiled at a press conference yesterday at the corner of Erinvale Drive and Newcombe Drive, in the Grove Hamlet area, off Shediac Road, where the new kindergarten-to-Grade 8 school will be located.

Construction will begin in spring 2015, with the school set to open in September 2016.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=13431

personal note - The most interesting thing in this T&T article is an admission that part of the land being used for the new Ecole Champlain was owned by the province and had been purchased years ago in anticipation of the need to construct a new school. This again begs the question as to why this land wasn't used for Moncton High School, especially since many people feel that a Shediac Road location for MHS would have been much preferable to it's new location at city limits on Elmwood Drive. I wonder if the Liberals will have the balls to question the Tories on this in the upcoming election…...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I suspect both buildings together will constitute the Elmwood Home Hardware. If you look at the lot plan, they are both on a single lot (14-05). Perhaps one building would be retail and the other a building supplies depot? Just a thought.

In any event, I agree with other posters, the rendering of the development is only preliminary and I suspect most buildings shown are just placeholders. It is obvious however that this will be a generic low density highway commercial development lacking any form of sophistication or interest (unless you are a traveller on the TCH looking for a coffee and a washroom).
I have word from a very reliable source that another tenant of this development will be an Atlantic Superstore. It will be a pared down version of the Main st and Trinity Dr stores. Much smaller and no clothing or electronics departments.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macas539 View Post
I have word from a very reliable source that another tenant of this development will be an Atlantic Superstore. It will be a pared down version of the Main st and Trinity Dr stores. Much smaller and no clothing or electronics departments.
So probably around 50,000sq ft ball park. I like the Sobeys model better, more stores but just smaller.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 2:03 AM

I stopped by Starbucks last night on mountain road and I asked the clerk when their location will open on Elmwood drive it will be slated to be open sometimes in September. So that will be awesome for me but I wish that they opened earlier than 6:30AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 6:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The exterior for the new Starbuck's on Elmwood is now complete. They are beginning to move dirt for the adjacent retail plaza.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces