HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Makes sense. I think Tucson is boxed in itself. It's probably only a matter of (short) time before more 20+ floor buildings gets built downtown. I think there's a demand for new good quality temp housing in Tucson since Tucson is filled with crappy apts. I've read those new student housing at 22nd st/Park Ave. are fully leased already. The District at 4th ave. was fully leased way before it was even finished.

It would be neat add those solar roadway all over AZ especially in Tucson when it's always freak'in dark. Solar panels are getting cheaper too with more energy packed in. I've read Toyota adding a solar roof to power a car's A/C and even help recharged an electric vehicle...google 'toyota solar roof' .
Tucson's boxed in to the north (Foothills), northwest (Marana, Oro Valley), kind of in the west (mountains), the southwest (Tribal land) and kind of in the east (mountains again, though there is more room out there before the Rincons), but in the south, especially the southeast, there is tons of room. Heck, there's like 50 square miles within the city limits, some of of it south of I-10 in the southeast and some in north of I-10 (Rita Ranch area out by Houghton), that doesn't have much, if anything, built on it. I remember when I first moved here I was driving in on I-10 from the east and I got to a sign that said Tucson City Limits. I couldn't see a building anywhere and didn't see one for 10 minutes. There's even areas surrounded by the city south of I-10 (west of Wilmot/east of TIA) that has very little built on it - prime annexation area for the city). Even beyond that land in the city limits that's not built on there's tons of open land around it. The southeast is going to be a major growth corridor. Hopefully Vail incorporates, but there's still land out there to be had. The city limits go down to basically Sahaurita and Green Valley (and it would be nice to see them incorporate too). The northwest (Marana especially) and the southeast are where you're going to see the major growth in the metro area the next couple decades.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2013, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Tucson's boxed in to the north (Foothills), northwest (Marana, Oro Valley), kind of in the west (mountains), the southwest (Tribal land) and kind of in the east (mountains again, though there is more room out there before the Rincons), but in the south, especially the southeast, there is tons of room. Heck, there's like 50 square miles within the city limits, some of of it south of I-10 in the southeast and some in north of I-10 (Rita Ranch area out by Houghton), that doesn't have much, if anything, built on it. I remember when I first moved here I was driving in on I-10 from the east and I got to a sign that said Tucson City Limits. I couldn't see a building anywhere and didn't see one for 10 minutes. There's even areas surrounded by the city south of I-10 (west of Wilmot/east of TIA) that has very little built on it - prime annexation area for the city). Even beyond that land in the city limits that's not built on there's tons of open land around it. The southeast is going to be a major growth corridor. Hopefully Vail incorporates, but there's still land out there to be had. The city limits go down to basically Sahaurita and Green Valley (and it would be nice to see them incorporate too). The northwest (Marana especially) and the southeast are where you're going to see the major growth in the metro area the next couple decades.
Yeah, I would love to see those unincorporated areas incorporated. As for the areas south of the city/I-10 , I hope the city designate that area for industrial or business used only. Tucson needs more business. The thought of building more bland corporate made suburbs bothers me. When someone mentions to me 'This is the west. We need our space' , I feel like #@?@!!! (use your imagination).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 5:24 PM

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 10:19 PM

Today I drove by the UofA and was pretty impressed. Kino and 22nd is coming out great! Downtown looks ALot bigger and more powerful with the additions of Tep, joint justice, avenue in 5 and the cadence. I agree that the cadence does not look as good as the renderings but in my mid I was expecting it to be aweful but it's not as bad as I expected. I can't wait untill 1 east broadway, green line, the armory and west end station

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Today I drove by the UofA and was pretty impressed. Kino and 22nd is coming out great! Downtown looks ALot bigger and more powerful with the additions of Tep, joint justice, avenue in 5 and the cadence. I agree that the cadence does not look as good as the renderings but in my mid I was expecting it to be aweful but it's not as bad as I expected. I can't wait untill 1 east broadway, green line, the armory and west end station
I agree with you, Ritarancher. Downtown Tucson still has a very long way to go but compared to the previous 5 years or so, it's 1000 times better. Even with all the construction, there's more people visiting downtown after work and weekends.

Cadence isn't finished and too early to judge but I think it's headed to a disaster in terms of it's design. Of course, they could always paint some murals or even add some wall sculptures like the Old County Courthouse to save it.

I wished TEP would look like this, http://www.fosterandpartners.com/dat.../1523/img2.jpg .
http://www.fosterandpartners.com/dat.../1523/img1.jpg

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
I agree with you, Ritarancher. Downtown Tucson still has a very long way to go but compared to the previous 5 years or so, it's 1000 times better. Even with all the construction, there's more people visiting downtown after work and weekends.

Cadence isn't finished and too early to judge but I think it's headed to a disaster in terms of it's design. Of course, they could always paint some murals or even add some wall sculptures like the Old County Courthouse to save it.

I wished TEP would look like this, http://www.fosterandpartners.com/dat.../1523/img2.jpg .
http://www.fosterandpartners.com/dat.../1523/img1.jpg
Disaster is a little bit of overkill for the cadence just because its not the style you like doesn't mean that it's terrible. Remember that it's not finished yet, it can only get better from here (murals? These people spent more money on cadence than the cost of level somebody's got to find it)
I think that the current TEP building is ok looking. The building shown in your picture will age badly and belongs in a place with a lot of space, not really downtown.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Disaster is a little bit of overkill for the cadence just because its not the style you like doesn't mean that it's terrible. Remember that it's not finished yet, it can only get better from here (murals? These people spent more money on cadence than the cost of level somebody's got to find it)
I think that the current TEP building is ok looking. The building shown in your picture will age badly and belongs in a place with a lot of space, not really downtown.
Ritarancher, you are the only one I know that like Candence's design. Pretty much everyone I talked to disliked it.

The building that I referenced is designed by world class architects. It will age nicely unlike the TEP building. Most of the people I've spoken to don't like the design of the TEP. The TEP looks like a giant stapler to some I've spoken to. Sorry if I offended you, it's just my opinion

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 4:25 PM

[QUOTE=farmerk;6047010]I agree with you, Ritarancher. Downtown Tucson still has a very long way to go but compared to the previous 5 years or so, it's 1000 times better. Even with all the construction, there's more people visiting downtown after work and weekends.

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/dat.../1523/img1.jpg[/QUOT

Murals and Wall Sculptures?! Wow am i glad you're not an architect haha. I agree its not the best looking. It reminds me a lot of the Pioneer building now. But I'll take something over nothing and hopefully down the line we get better buildings.
As for wishing TEP was designed by Sir Norman Foster is a dream. The university can't even get architects that good to do their buildings and they are putting up $100 million for some of their buildings. The best chance we have at getting a well designed building downtown would be to get a firm like Richard+Bauer to design a building or maybe Smith Group.
And the last time we tried to get a world class architect we ran him out of town. Sorry Rafael Vinoly.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 5:21 PM

^^^ bthom3000 , I like the design of the Sentinal Plaza and MLK apts and they were built before the Candence. Yes, the Cadence and the current Pioneer Plaza looks pretty much the same. I DON'T like both of them . You'll take something over nothing? I'll take the same design as the Sentinel Plaza or MLK apts or even the ALoft hotel over the Cadence.

As for the TEP building, you like it. I don't. Doesn't have to be a world class architect to find an alternative for the TEP .

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 5:48 PM

I'm trying to keep an open mind about The Cadence. I was never thrilled about the design from the beginning. Right now it looks a lot like the Pioneer Building, which is not a good thing. For it being the year 2013. the design was a huge let down, but I don't hate it either.

Downtown needs to start embracing progressive designs. I don't want tall buildings to be built, just to have tall buildings. I would like to see designs that scream the future (like the shard in London or Dubai). The new courthouse seems cool, although I still think they could have pushed the envelope a little further. It looks like the Westgate area of the U of A is going to be a cooler skyline than downtown.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
I'm trying to keep an open mind about The Cadence. I was never thrilled about the design from the beginning. Right now it looks a lot like the Pioneer Building, which is not a good thing. For it being the year 2013. the design was a huge let down, but I don't hate it either.

Downtown needs to start embracing progressive designs. I don't want tall buildings to be built, just to have tall buildings. I would like to see designs that scream the future (like the shard in London or Dubai). The new courthouse seems cool, although I still think they could have pushed the envelope a little further. It looks like the Westgate area of the U of A is going to be a cooler skyline than downtown.
Thank You! The developers of the Cadence copied the wrong building. The owners of the Pioneer Plaza are making efforts to restore the original 1920's design...why is that? Hmmmmm....because the current design is UGLY! They could've copied the new MLK building or Sentinel Plaza. They want something historic looking? Copy the Rialto, Hotel Congress, Train Depot or Chase building. Instead they copied an eyesore.

What pisses me off more is that the Cadence was supposed to be 10 floors and the city made concessions in reducing the 4th Ave. underpass (another nice development) from 6 lanes to 4 lanes so Cadence can build their 10 floor building. When the El Centro garage was finished, I said to myself, 'WOW!! this place is going to be great!'....fast forward, we are stuck with a replica of the current Pioneer Plaza . If the Cadence were tucked in some corner, I'd probably be fine but it's located right by 4th ave, snake bridge, Rialto , Hotel Congress....I mean WTF??!!!

The new developments by the WestGate look nice and they're not designed by world class architects!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 7:17 PM

I do not like the way Cadence is turning out but looking on the brightside, its stickframe construction makes it easy (cheaper) to tear it down and build something better in the future.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 9:02 PM

Off topic but why is "A" mountain being painted.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Off topic but why is "A" mountain being painted.
I was just up there today. I was wondering the same thing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 12:47 AM
Todo para la familia

Painting the A at A Mountain

I thought in years past they painted the A for certain holidays. I remember they painted it green for St Patty's Day so maybe that's what they are doing this week.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
I thought in years past they painted the A for certain holidays. I remember they painted it green for St Patty's Day so maybe that's what they are doing this week.
It is that time of year.

I've got a family member who painted it green one year. It wasn't exactly legal, so it was done under cover of night.

I suspect if it is being done openly, it is something officially sanctioned. Though, the St. Patty's paint job might be an official thing these days.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthom3000 View Post
I do not like the way Cadence is turning out but looking on the brightside, its stickframe construction makes it easy (cheaper) to tear it down and build something better in the future.
God! I sure hope you're right that they tear it down in the (very near) future.

btw, the prize goes to the 'one building that's looking better than the renderings' : ALoft Hotel - you have gained my respect...thank you for treating Tucsonan's with R.E.S.P.E.C.T .

Painting the 'A' mountain seems to be a yearly ritual among UA students. I remember seeing photos of UA students painting 'A' mountain way back in the 50's.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 8:16 PM
Tucsonan

i think all these buildings look fine....

i actually really like the cadence, its not even done yet, plus the building has the art installations with vines and flowers on them which i think looks great.
once we get some vegetation planted on the sidewalks and some retail shops lined along the street, i think this area will look amazing.

and once its done, we'll see this wall which is green and matched the MLK building which adds some character besides the black and white.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:05 AM

The cadence is two buildings and might not be done with the painting. The only problem that I see with the Cadence is that it's painted white and not a light grey or brown. I'm starting to get a little more angry with that building every day. A little color would be nice. A mural? No. I do agree it has differed from the rendering. Hopefully the vegetation would grow in soon.
I noticed that the tower crane for Level is being taken down, I am so far happy with that building. It's the best of the three (Hub would be the best if it's freaking windows were aligned and Park Ave has too many renderings to choose) and will look good in 10 years, 50 years and even 100 years. Most people agree that that building looks great. I personally feel that it combines an older brick and square shaped building with today's modern styles and it looks AMAZING. I hope these renderings don't let us down. As for Park Avenue and The Hub, does anybody know what design they're using. I know that each have two renderings that are different. I'm fine with both for Park Avenue but for the Hub I like the first one that we discovered not the one where a child placed the windows scattered across the building.

EDIT: I also think that the construction elevator has been taken down as well. We'll be seeing the building completed very soon here. We'll probably see the outside of the building being finished by late May or early June. I can't wait this to be done. Ever since I was a child I wanted to see a skyscraper with lights at night. College students will promise to provide us with those night lights. Sorry Astronomers

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:53 AM

Those brown panels is what bothers me about the Cadence. Those ugly panels will remind me and maybe would even create recurring nightmares of the current Pioneer Plaza. Some of you are against murals or wall sculptures, maybe a nice iron wrought in place of those brown panels will save the day and embarrassment, http://www.tucsonhomeloanblog.com/wp...14_1318201.jpg .

I know that some of you like the TEP building, that's fine. But my issue with the TEP is that it's too short for it's design. Standing besides it and looking up the TEP, I'd asked myself 'where's the rest of it?'. Plus the columns are too plain looking. If you are going to put a lot of glass in a building, might as well cover it at least 80-90 percent of the building. TEP has about 50 percent glass, 50 percent something else (mortar, cement etc..). Imagine the former Citigroup/Unisource (One church north?) building with 50 percent concrete...won't look good...like this http://www.deconcinimcdonald.com/offices/tucson/ (might as well get rid of the glass). Not far away from the deConcinni building at Broadway, is a new retirement home painted in pink with mostly concrete - now, that looks good. TEP building has a very confusing architecture. I think the TEP architect is either drunk/drugged or was trying too hard to make a name for him/herself.

Reason for Editing : Casitas on East Broadway , http://www.lrd-az.com/display/casitas-2/ , the pink retirement home referring above . It only cost about 5.5 million and it looks good, http://www.tofelconstruction.com/Cas...tasOnBrdwy.htm . I'm nowhere near retirement age and I wanna move at this place! , http://www.cooperthwaite.com/#/archi.../panoramic/017

We need to be critical on what buildings gets built in the Old Pueblo , otherwise we might end up with a building that looks like this --> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...lding_Pano.jpg

Last edited by farmerk; Mar 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest