HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:39 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
^^^ That's FANTASTIC! I love the part where she says she only "sort of" believes in ghosts, yet she claims knowledge of their behavior. That's great! I don't believe in leprechauns, but I keep a bowl of Lucky Charms outside my door just in case because I know they love that.

Years ago, I had this thing I used to love to do on first dates where I'd meet a woman for a drink on a nice day & then we'd aimlessly walk through NW as f we're browsing among the old houses in order to decide which one was the most hauntable. Side note: how is "hauntable" not a word? HA! ...anyway, it was just silly flirty fun and an excuse to wander around before making a stop at another pub. It also made for a great way to have a first date be light hearted and funny... until one day, I had a date with a woman who took it very seriously because she believed. I mean, she really believed. How could I possibly have known that? At one point, I honestly thought she was going to try to summon a spirit or something. Or something? I don't even know what. I just knew I had to get out of there. Yikes. And the worst part is, I still had that little voice in my head saying "Yeah, but she's hot!" ("Yeah, but she's NUTS!")

I love Portland SO MUCH.
I loved being single in Portland for that reason. I have been on so many walking and biking dates here, and just about every neighborhood is good for that. Plus it helps stretch a date out if it is going good.

That said, I have definitely had dates like that. Typically I would just be making a mental note not to let her know where I lived if she was hot but also nuts.

Now that I am married and older, I actually don't mind all the changes Portland has been going through because I am not that same person I was 10 years ago. Also when I hear of a favorite bar closing and I get all sad about that, I always have to stop and think about when was the last time I was in that bar....and then I usually don't miss it as much.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 7:53 PM

Red face The Decline and Fall of Portland Achitecture

"Overall I'm feeling like the controversy about this one is vastly overblown. The biggest thing that turned my thinking was all the hyperbolic language about prisons and East Berlin."

Can anyone here explain to me the purpose of the silver painted panels on The Yards and what they represent . . . .

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 7:56 PM

marlonwarren, can you explain what the connection is between the quote and the question?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 11:04 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlonwarren View Post
"Overall I'm feeling like the controversy about this one is vastly overblown. The biggest thing that turned my thinking was all the hyperbolic language about prisons and East Berlin."

Can anyone here explain to me the purpose of the silver painted panels on The Yards and what they represent . . . .
Just a friendly FYI: When quoting, it's best to hit the Quote icon in the bottom right hand side of the comment you're quoting because that will cite the source with a link back to the original comment, which helps to put things in context.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 6:06 PM

The crane is coming down right now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 9:26 PM

Interesting discussion at City Council today, starting at 2:04:00:

Video Link

"We are working with the applicant to retroactively go in and make that project, if I know which project you are talking about, match what was approved through the Design Review".

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:16 PM

Wow, so does that mean that it will be inevitable that they redo some of the façade?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 12:02 AM
Closed account

I knew it. I asked earlier why in gods name while their still constructing the building go and change the facade. Somebody said that's too expensive. I said it's now or never.
Glad their thinking about that

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigzagMan View Post
I knew it. I asked earlier why in gods name while their still constructing the building go and change the facade. Somebody said that's too expensive. I said it's now or never.
Glad their thinking about that
When did you ask that?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 1:10 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Wow. That would have to drastically slow down the project and I can't even imagine the additional costs... not that I'm complaining. I think this sounds like fantastic news!

Apparently, Skylab was wrong about leverage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
I was talking to a Skylab architect last night and he essentially said everything that's being speculated about here is true. That is, there was both cost-cutting going on and a need to meet some kind of energy efficiency standard by reducing the window exposures. He also said the city really has no leverage here except to lean a bit more heavily on Skylab next time a project goes before Design Review.
Perhaps their reputation was being tarnished enough that they had to do something? Or not. Maybe they don't care but are being forced into changing The Yard? Maybe it's a combination of the two?

Things just got interesting.

I wonder what the latest estimate for completion of The Yard looks like. Wouldn't the crane have to go back up? We're talking about some pretty drastic changes here, aren't we?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 2:16 AM

Surely they could bring in a mobile crane to do that. Look at the monstrosity that is sitting next to NV...

Im not an engineer of those sorts though, so I couldn't say.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:13 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Wow. That would have to drastically slow down the project and I can't even imagine the additional costs... not that I'm complaining. I think this sounds like fantastic news!

Apparently, Skylab was wrong about leverage:

Perhaps their reputation was being tarnished enough that they had to do something? Or not. Maybe they don't care but are being forced into changing The Yard? Maybe it's a combination of the two?

Things just got interesting.

I wonder what the latest estimate for completion of The Yard looks like. Wouldn't the crane have to go back up? We're talking about some pretty drastic changes here, aren't we?

This also shows you to the one or two ppl that defended this total pathetic building they were wrong to think what was really going on.

This was a total disaster. Great that the city is taking a stand. Much credit

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigzagMan View Post
This also shows you to the one or two ppl that defended this total pathetic building they were wrong to think what was really going on.

This was a total disaster. Great that the city is taking a stand. Much credit
Please, let's not start another flame war on this thread, ok? There's plenty of middle ground to occupy here and the broad brush you are using to describe the opinions of other forum members is unfair and disingenuous.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:43 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Please, let's not start another flame war on this thread, ok? There's plenty of middle ground to occupy here and the broad brush you are using to describe the opinions of other forum members is unfair and disingenuous.
Oh my fault it was nothing personal. It's just relieving this mess is being fixed with a pretty unprecedented move by the city.

But we can all agree and look ahead to the hopefully much better improvements.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:46 AM

The Decline and Fall of Portland Achitecture

Well, if the City Council wants clarification of what is going on with The Yards Project, that’s fine with me. It about time someone with authority called out Skylab for the misrepresentation that they sold the Design Review Committee.

It’s unfortunate that it has gotten to this point. But if the City of Portland does not demand correction, We: The citizens of Portland will end up with more of this type of misrepresentational CAD Architecture that looks good in conceptional drawings, but does not achieve a High Level Design objective in execution.

Portland Native

Last edited by marlonwarren; Mar 10, 2016 at 7:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:35 PM

Ironically, the Yards made a list of top buildings by architects in a recent story in DJC. Along with a bunch of other buildings the public hates. Its a larger story of the disconnect of architects with the community they serve. The portland Building, the commonwealth building, The Oregonian building. All built by names architects that are simply terrible buildings in the eyes of the majority of people, yet propped up by the architect community for some reason. Seriously interesting story here, Modern architecture and the public.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:41 PM

Well this is extremely interesting. I think of Skylab as a small concept-oriented, design-centric firm who apparently got in over their heads with this large high-profile project. We should remember the almost universal acclaim showered upon their conceptual design for this building and the interest and excitement it generated on these pages, which of course is the primary reason we are all so disappointed in the built product, whatever the reasons for it. I guess I'm hoping this whole affair doesn't result in architects – particularly those who are newer/younger/bolder – shying away from creative and inventive solutions. I return again to what I consider a comparable situation regarding the NV, where approved design renderings presented a vastly different appearance than what we're seeing now with the finished product. Much less glass/transparency/lightness, much more in the way of heavy, dull gray opaque panels. From early on the drawings and renderings generated little in the way of excitement or interest re this building so expectations were perhaps low to begin with (which is another story altogether) but I just find it fascinating that ZGF has not similarly been held to account.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Ironically, the Yards made a list of top buildings by architects in a recent story in DJC. Along with a bunch of other buildings the public hates. Its a larger story of the disconnect of architects with the community they serve.
That's a pretty broad conclusion you're drawing from the response of one architect.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 8:03 PM

Civility Now!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Ironically, the Yards made a list of top buildings by architects in a recent story in DJC. Along with a bunch of other buildings the public hates. Its a larger story of the disconnect of architects with the community they serve. The portland Building, the commonwealth building, The Oregonian building. All built by names architects that are simply terrible buildings in the eyes of the majority of people, yet propped up by the architect community for some reason. Seriously interesting story here, Modern architecture and the public.
Reminds me of the Tribune's real-world experiment along these lines 10 years ago. A nice write-up on it at Portland Architecture here:

http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portla...ar_modern.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland