HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 10:06 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Thank you for that correction- I should've known that house was in too good of a condition. In that case, I hope that house sees a new life once The Row is completed, either as a single family home or adapted rescue.

As for parallel parking on Roosevelt, do you have a link to the final plans? The last update I saw from the city had removed all street-side parking in favor of 20' sidewalks, and all quotes regarding the streetscape plans have mentioned the wide sidewalks, lane reductions, and shade structures, but never anything about parking.
I've heard that parking on the south side only was the compromise worked out between those who wanted on-street parking and business owners who wanted big sidewalks, but I can't find any current plans on the city's website. This particular project isn't very well documented.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:38 PM

The DeSoto Central Market is planned to open in the DeSoto Building in November of this year. This will be an open market kind of like the Union but more focused on food sales. Interested vendors, and particularly startup restaurants considering a stall rental, should contact Shawn Connelly at shawnconne@gmail.com. h/t The DeSoto Building

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:42 PM

That looks fantastic! I just hope they can make it as envisioned...seems that every one who tried to open a small grocery ends up shutting that portion down and ending up as a restaurant. Phoenix Public Market grocery and Oakville at CityScape come to mind and this seems similar.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:03 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
That looks fantastic! I just hope they can make it as envisioned...seems that every one who tried to open a small grocery ends up shutting that portion down and ending up as a restaurant. Phoenix Public Market grocery and Oakville at CityScape come to mind and this seems similar.
I'm reading this as less of a grocery store and more of a local, semi upscale food court. Maybe there will be some produce and such, but I imagine a coffee shop, a butcher maybe, things like that.

Looks great though. I'm glad to see that area north of the building will be an outdoor dining/lounging space and not a parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:27 PM

I'd be highly surprised if that area north wasn't ultimately parking. And I like the look, but it seems like too much overlap of the Phoenix Public Market/Cafe. When that was only a market (with a counter for breakfast/lunch stuff) it didn't work... why would seemingly the same concept work here now?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Note: Mod isn't a restaurant. It has a small coffee bar, but we went in and checked it out. Its a pay by the hour/day/month co-working kind of space.
They have a sign out in front advertising their beer/wine bar right now.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 10:26 PM
self-important urbanista

Looks like something new is coming to 4th St & McKinley. Anyone have details?

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jac...h_mckinley.php

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:29 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
RE: Roosevelt St. Yes the agreement was to have surface parking on the South side of the street. This was a bone thrown to me, and many other members of the community who don't want to see more surface lots and such. The whole project is just embarrassingly designed.

There's one more community meeting on the project. It's April 17th at the Irish Cultural center at 5:30pm. Please show up and tell them you would've liked protected bike lanes, on street parking and a real complete street. The City needs to hear this message over, and over, and over again until they get it.

Even the Cities own "Complete streets" handouts show incomplete streets (i.e. the bike lane lacking and poorly landscaped 2nd Ave south of Fillmore). The 1st Street plant and painter improvements also lack bike lanes and basically just continue the poor design that was done on 1st St a few years back. The city is slllloooowwwwllly starting to get it, but when it comes to the fine grain details they just don't have a clue. So show up and let them know

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Looks like something new is coming to 4th St & McKinley. Anyone have details?

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jac...h_mckinley.php
I've HEARD it'll be fairly tall apartments, i.e. on the scale of Roosevelt Point or Skyline. Which is great, those losing that strip of fine grain retail is a super bummer. I'm going to be ticked if its another classic Phoenix developer "knock something down then run out of money and build nothing" situation.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:51 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
There's one more community meeting on the project. It's April 17th at the Irish Cultural center at 5:30pm. Please show up and tell them you would've liked protected bike lanes, on street parking and a real complete street. The City needs to hear this message over, and over, and over again until they get it.
I just put it on my calendar. You might want to create a Facebook event, too, since I can't find any notification on the city's webiste.

Last edited by exit2lef; Apr 3, 2014 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
If there's one thing a citizen-based movement might plausibly accomplish, it's returning the Westward Ho to its roots as a great hotel. It's currently contracted with HUD to provide social housing for the disabled. Downtown has very few buildings with bones this good and it's a crime that it essentially functions as a homeless shelter. If you've never been inside, just check with the security guard at the Fillmore entrance. It contains magnificent public rooms that could add immeasurably to a vibrant downtown. The investment required will be high, but I can think of nothing besides the renovation of the Professional Building that could help downtown quite as much. BTW, I read on AZCentral this morning Doug MacEachern, a troglodyte my any standard, extolling the idea of development along the canals. This idea has been floating out there among the architects and activists since the 1970s. It's taken this long for it to finally achieve critical mass among political and civic leaders. I hope the recovery of the Ho doesn't take decades. Seriously, downtown can't wait that long. Bang your drum. Start something. And don't let the guilt-trippers win the debate. You can afford to give the current residents first-class accommodations someplace elsewhere. What you need first and foremost is a sense of urgency.
We finally got our wish to have the Professional Building restored, who knows what's possible with the Ho? I did email their management regarding the ground level retail- if we end up with denser neighborhoods surrounding it, it would be nice if the ground level could be publicly accessed. I think the Hotel could be restored before the lease expires... the City has quite a few deals on their hands now, but maybe after, a campaign could be started. I'm not sure of the logistics, but I imagine it would involve building senior housing on city land worth the existing leasing terms and then swapping and RFPing the empty building in hopes of a hotelier swapping it up?

My concern with Hotel Monroe and with the ground level of the Westward Ho is the fact that none of the Security Buildings' spaces have been leased in 7+ years, in spite of a City RFP for tenants. Sure, the hotel space will be a great addition, but the added street life was the more exciting part to me, and I can't understand why buildings like The Security Building and Luhrs struggle to fill their spaces so badly. You would think such unique products would offer a niche alternative, at least.

DeSoto: Ah, I was actually trying to get a vintage furniture manufacturing company to move there and have either a showroom upfront of allow views of the factory process. But, this idea makes perfect sense, and I always envisioned a market there. Agree that it's a small miracle the lot won't be 100% parking. What exactly doe the Public Market offer now? Perhaps a rebranding effort is needed to better distinguish the two. It seems that, unlike the original Public Market with one coffee bar, this market will feature several stations with a variety of food options: I wonder how long spaces are leased for? Cool concept for a great building, I just hope Union gets off the ground and we have enough residential density nearby to support it.

Exit: Thanks for the info re: streetscape for Roosevelt. I guess we'll find soon enough; and, I agree about the organization. There are about 5 versions floating around. As for McKinley and 4th, no news, but I hope whatever gets built is higher and is a different product than Skyline and Roosevelt Pointe. Those two serve their purpose, but the area already looks redundant in architectural themes and both projects haven't had the best time leasing retail space. I know it's a never-ending complaint, but with all of the empty lots, it really sucks to continually see new development come at the expense of existing buildings. In this case, we lose even more affordable art space that was in a great area to help bridge ASU, Biomedical, and Evans Churchill. Can't the City stipulate a percentage of affordable/low income commercial space?

Hoover: I agree about Hance, but obviously the community is excited and rather than risk argument, I'll keep my comments brief. I asked the same exact questions you did. The Central rendering shows just how little was done to help draw attention to each entrance. Additionally, I thought the west side was perfect for a basketball court. Without an event, I'm not seeing much use for that end at all - again, another huge problem. That's why I asked about the food trucks and how often they'd be within the plaza, as well as the plan for the new structures listed: I'm okay with more parking via garage if it includes ground level uses that help bring a wider audience to the park. A garage might also be a small incentive for development in the north side of the library.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
RE: Roosevelt St. Yes the agreement was to have surface parking on the South side of the street. This was a bone thrown to me, and many other members of the community who don't want to see more surface lots and such. The whole project is just embarrassingly designed.

I've HEARD it'll be fairly tall apartments, i.e. on the scale of Roosevelt Point or Skyline. Which is great, those losing that strip of fine grain retail is a super bummer. I'm going to be ticked if its another classic Phoenix developer "knock something down then run out of money and build nothing" situation.
Thank you for continuing that fight. It was an important one, and I'm grateful that we'll at least get parking on the south side, even though the majority of development is on the north. It's a shame that they're bastardizing a chance to clean up our #1 urban attraction. As I mentioned, it's starting to look a bit rough during the day, so a new streetscape to possibly attract new development would've been great, as would have less focus on these huge, empty sidewalks, and more on things like signage and placemaking.

As for 4th/McKinley, no no no! 6-8 stories is not worth removing continuous art space from a site. We really need to start going higher to get some variance in the area's rooflines, and to get as many residents in these areas as possible to support retail before the Bio campus takes over the rest if the land.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
What exactly doe the Public Market offer now? Perhaps a rebranding effort is needed to better distinguish the two. It seems that, unlike the original Public Market with one coffee bar, this market will feature several stations with a variety of food options: I wonder how long spaces are leased for? Cool concept for a great building, I just hope Union gets off the ground and we have enough residential density nearby to support it.
Chow Bella: Phoenix Public Market Café

In addition to the Open-Air Markets on Wednesday nights (5 pm to 8 pm) and Saturday mornings (8 am to Noon) and Food Truck Fridays (11 am to 1:30 pm).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:05 AM

Possible BID for Roosevelt Row/Evans Churchill

Roosevelt Row is Making a ‘BID’ for Enhanced Services
Jill Bernstein April 2nd, 2014
Downtown Phoenix Journal

This morning, the Phoenix City Council Downtown, Aviation and Redevelopment Subcommittee unanimously approved the first step in creating a new Enhanced Municipal Services District (EMSD) in the Roosevelt Row/Evans Churchill community just north of the downtown core.

The subcommittee recommended that the City Council authorize a contract not to exceed $90,000 with Downtown Phoenix, Inc. to create an in-depth study involving extensive outreach to property owners over the next 8-12 months. The money for the study will come out of the Downtown Community Reinvestment Fund, created for just such purposes.

Full article here

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:13 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
The New Times report suggests some of the retailers have already found other sites, and there's plenty of vacant retail space a block away in the Skyline Lofts, although the owner there may be asking for unrealistic rents. I'm confident retail will find space, but I share your concern about the developer running out of money after demolition of the existing structure. That's always a danger.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:33 AM

Market to Open in Historic DeSoto Building

Quote:
“We want to keep that traditional market feel that you can find in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles,” said new tenant Shawn Connelly, who will also manage the market. “Everybody I’ve spoken to about the concept has been excited. I truly feel that something like this will be a catalyst for other growth around this area,” he said.

While maintaining the history and integrity of the building, the interior space will be modeled to feature multiple vendor spaces, a bar and lounge area, and a mezzanine for offices and multi-purpose space.

The market will encompass many functions, but most notably will serve as an incubation hub for “food-preneurs” as Connelly puts it. A portion of the vendor sections will be built as ‘mini-kitchens,’ with everything required to run a restaurant, allowing burgeoning restaurateurs to become completely operational, while avoiding the startup fees of a traditional stand-alone restaurant.

“What we’re trying to model it after is almost like a food truck kitchen,” Connelly said.

The market portion will feature staples such as fresh fruits and vegetables, and will hopefully have a few artisanal purveyors, Connelly said, such as a baker, or dedicated cheese vendor or meat butcher.

The micro-restaurants will serve walk-up customers inside the market, and through outdoor take-out windows along the north wall. The parking lot will be transformed into an eating and lounging area for the cooler months.

“The nearby light rail stop and urban neighborhoods will hopefully make it an ideal destination in downtown. The best use of the space is to make it a great outdoor area,” Connelly added, the wheels clearly still turning with all of the possibilities at hand.

“What we envision using it as is a multi-purpose space. Maybe during First Fridays we can bring in other temporary tenants, or during the fall have a pumpkin patch festival…different types of things to where we really try to highlight what’s going on during that particular season.”

If all goes well within the market, the hope is that the owners of these smaller restaurants will one day be able to take the next step by moving out of the space and opening a restaurant of her own.

“What we’re trying to do is really embrace the entrepreneur, people who are passionate about the food industry. We want them to do well and then graduate…and hopefully open up another location. The hope is to expand beyond our walls and make a name for themselves,” Connelly said.

This is the first entrepreneurial outing for Connelly, who began cooking at 17 and continued throughout college, where he majored in logistics management and marketing. After a variety of roles within the the food industry, from kitchen to corporate management, he decided to take a chance on his love for markets.

“I’ve always had a passion for development, food, and markets in general.”

Maintaining a historic building while infusing new activity into the area seems to be the recipe for success in downtown Phoenix. Connelly plans to finalize the interior design soon, and is hoping to open the market by the end of 2014.

“I love Phoenix and I want to be here. I like what’s going on downtown, and I want to be part of the revitalization.”

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 10:36 PM

Union on Roosevelt

Just passed by Roosevelt and 1st Ave and noticed the demolition of the apartment building on the SWC is underway. Hopefully we'll hear more on the groundbreaking for the Union soon.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaynoh View Post
Just passed by Roosevelt and 1st Ave and noticed the demolition of the apartment building on the SWC is underway. Hopefully we'll hear more on the groundbreaking for the Union soon.
Went by it this morning and they're really moving along quickly with the demolition. Wouldn't be surprised if it's done by early next week (or sooner if they work on it this weekend). Like you said, let's hope the Union breaks ground just as fast.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:12 PM
Skyriser

Speaking of demolitions, 440 W Jackson, the two story building on the corner, is going to be razed for a parking lot next to the bail bonds store.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Speaking of demolitions, 440 W Jackson, the two story building on the corner, is going to be razed for a parking lot next to the bail bonds store.
Where? 440 W. Jackson appears to be the Ice House.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:18 PM
Skyriser

Sorry, that's the address I was given. It's the two story building on the NEC of 5th Ave and Jackson with the ghost furniture sign.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest