HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 8:06 PM

Preliminary work is moving along on Temple's new library. The site runs from Polett Walk (Berks) to Norris north-south and from Liacouras Walk to 13th street east-west.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 9:02 PM

Memorial park for Market Street building collapse breaks ground

Quote:
Almost three years after the deadly collapse of a Salvation Army store and an adjacent structure claimed the lives of six people and injured 13 others, officials broke ground on a memorial park at the site of the tragedy at 22nd and Market streets.

Mayor Jim Kenney, several others city leaders and A. Phillip Ferreira, director of operations for the Greater Philadelphia Salvation Army, were at the Wednesday afternoon ceremony that kicked off construction of the June 5th Memorial Park, the name recognizing the date of the fatal collapse.

Nancy Winkler, the former City Treasurer whose 24-year-old daughter Anne Bryan was killed in the crash, became a huge part of the force behind establishing the park. At the groundbreaking Wednesday, Winkler shared a poem: "Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality," PhillyVoice.com reported.

The park is expected to be complete by fall.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...rial-park.html

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Memorial park for Market Street building collapse breaks ground

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...rial-park.html
Was hoping it would never happen, but I knew it would eventually.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 12:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Was hoping it would never happen, but I knew it would eventually.
yes this is going to kill development in the red hot zone around 22nd market where parking lots are rapidly disappearing in favor of 50 floor developments.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
yes this is going to kill development in the red hot zone around 22nd market where parking lots are rapidly disappearing in favor of 50 floor developments.
hmm.. We have plenty of empty lots around still. "kill development" is a huge exaggeration in my opinion. A little green never hurt anyone. That was an awful tragedy.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
hmm.. We have plenty of empty lots around still. "kill development" is a huge exaggeration in my opinion. A little green never hurt anyone. That was an awful tragedy.
I think he was being sarcastic.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
indeed. Several others have acted like this park is going to "ruin" the greatness that is Market St west of 20th

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Snarky R Us. There are lots of reasons to dislike this memorial:

1. It's morbid.
2. It's ugly.
3. It builds a wall along 22nd street instead of providing park-like access to Brandywine's proposed tower.

It may not be red hot there now, but this bad idea will be literally "set in stone," when it is.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:54 PM

Quote:
indeed. Several others have acted like this park is going to "ruin" the greatness that is Market St west of 20th
It's about as parklike as the prior incarnation of Dilworth Plaza. I tried to argue that this wasn't really that bad and the more I learned, the more I had to agree with the naysayers. A simple monument or plaque in a more parklike setting - that people would actually want to use - would be preferable.

Last edited by Knight Hospitaller; Apr 7, 2016 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
And slaying straw men.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
And slaying straw men.
Not really, a lot of people really overacted about the park. They weren't using those exact same arguments no, but the point still stands that there are people who probably are giving this thing way too much thought. It's not a terrific park no, but there are at least a hundred more interesting things to care about in Philly Development right now. It's just not that serious.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 3:59 PM

Just wait til a serious high rise proposal comes out nearby. People will cry about the shadows cast over the park... (When I saw the article, I had really hoped it wouldn't be posted here)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:01 PM

Quote:
There are lots of reasons to dislike this memorial:

1. It's morbid.
2. It's ugly.
3. It builds a wall along 22nd street instead of providing park-like access to Brandywine's proposed tower.
Most disgustingly, in my mind, is that the "memorial" is an empty, meaningless gesture: the City's regulatory regime - that enables and rewards slumlords like Basciano, Rappaport estates, and innumerable other speculative property investors to neglect buildings to the point of their becoming blighted public safety hazards - remains essentially unchanged from before this accident happened.

Supposedly the City has implemented a few cosmetic modifications relating to demolition activities. But in general, over at least the last 65 years, the backroom influence of purveyors, like Rappaport, of blight-inducing and public safety-threatening property neglect and speculation has infected the policy-making of the clowns in City government. That's why these guys are allowed to run roughshod over the city with impunity and why enormous swaths of Philadelphia, even substantial strips in Old City, Market East/West, Chestnut Street, and South Street, Fabric Row, remain blighted and dangerous.

It seems at least once a year, for example, that an old loft building burns down or collapses in Old City or that a barely maintained low-end apartment rental in Center City or University City burns down. We have been lucky that collapses have cost very few lives over the years, but it is not uncommon for firefighters to suffer serious injuries in fires. And this speaks nothing of the cost to the public of the visual blight we have to tolerate every day, year after year, decade after decade, even in show-case neighborhoods.

So this park, as far as I am concerned, is a farce. It is a sop the families of the victims given by politicians who want to appear like they are doing something when they are doing nothing.

This park will make a few people feel warm and fuzzy until the next blight-induced fire or building collapse kills more people. Then they will see that this is a memorial to hypocrisy and bullshit, not to the tragic lesson that should have been learned from the needlessly lost lives of many wonderful people.

I hate this park.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
Not really, a lot of people really overacted about the park. They weren't using those exact same arguments no, but the point still stands that there are people who probably are giving this thing way too much thought. It's not a terrific park no, but there are at least a hundred more interesting things to care about in Philly Development right now. It's just not that serious.
Well, all I said was that I wasn't looking forward to this -- and from that was construed that my sentiments were based on this blocking development. I have several objections, but that isn't one of them. My objections are based on it being a "turd." I'm not sure why you are brining up where this ranks. Nobody is ranking anything. I was simply responding to a Summers post. If you think this an unworthy topic, take it up with him. Addressing what people actually write is far more productive.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I hate this park.
...and, yes, it's a hypocritical sop and farce. I'm aware of nobody that demands this be reserved for development, contrary to what others are asserting. Memorializing this called for a welcoming, attractive space with a plaque of some kind, not a barren, isolated site with granite upon granite and neon tombstones. It could have been a lovely visual extension of the College of Physicians' courtyard and approach to Brandywine's proposed tower.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoluble View Post
exactly. Doesn't even rank in the top 50 of problems for Center city or Philly as a whole. Hell, maybe it will help spark more action in this area. Can't get much worse.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well, all I said was that I wasn't looking forward to this -- and from that was construed that my sentiments were based on this blocking development. I have several objections, but that isn't one of them. My objections are based on it being a "turd." I'm not sure why you are brining up where this ranks. Nobody is ranking anything. I was simply responding to a Summers post. If you think this an unworthy topic, take it up with him. Addressing what people actually write is far more productive.
newsflash- design is subjective. So while you may feel this is a "turd" and worthy of much consternation others aren't really moved one way or another. The clothespin sculpture is a "turd" to many. Life goes on, this small park isn't going to make or break anything nor is is the only controversial public space or memorial in the city.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
newsflash- design is subjective. So while you may feel this is a "turd" and worthy of much consternation others aren't really moved one way or another. The clothespin sculpture is a "turd" to many. Life goes on, this small park isn't going to make or break anything nor is is the only controversial public space or memorial in the city.
Yes, I expressed my opinion. I'm not expecting you to agree with it. Is there any suggestion otherwise? Just don't assume my reasons for having a given opinion without inquiring first. Those who don't have an opinion or don't care are free to discuss other issues. If you think it an unworthy subject, take that up with Summers. I simply don't like it and am sorry to see it finally go forward. If anyone is exhibiting excessive consternation, it's not me, it's those ranting about issues not raised.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 8:28 PM
Fishtown & Country

From Tuesday, 4-6. Demo almost done at Race & 5th

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 1:50 AM

Is that where 401 race will be?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development