HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
Not sure if this has been posted already. The Central Rail Extension Mobility Study Final Report from RTD. It's loaded with pretty renders.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5xa8hx9yj...eport.pdf?dl=0
Thanks for this. Does anyone know if they have funding in place?

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:38 PM
Urban Living

is this corridor and small extension possibly the most over-wrought analysis of all time? it's been going on for over 10 years...and this 150 page study results in no preferred-alternative...more analysis to come. (unless i totally missed it...?)

alternative 2 would be good for AS...the extensions just seem kinda silly, and the twists and turns of the NWSS extension? my god what a painful ride that would be...

from the study...

"How long would it take to travel from 38th/Blake to the Convention Center?
The traffic and travel modeling conducted for this project estimated that a one-way trip from
the 38th/Blake station to the Convention Center would take approximately 24 minutes."

anybody see a problem here?

i'm being a curmudgeon on this one...but gotta call a spade a spade here i think.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
is this corridor and small extension possibly the most over-wrought analysis of all time? it's been going on for over 10 years...and this 150 page study results in no preferred-alternative...more analysis to come. (unless i totally missed it...?)

alternative 2 would be good for AS...the extensions just seem kinda silly, and the twists and turns of the NWSS extension? my god what a painful ride that would be...

from the study...

The traffic and travel modeling conducted for this project estimated that a one-way trip from
the 38th/Blake station to the Convention Center would take approximately 24 minutes."

i'm being a curmudgeon on this one...but gotta call a spade a spade here i think.
Alt. #1 was rejected

Alt. #2 was rejected also
"This option was also rejected by the project team (after consultation with stakeholders) because it would result in delays and operational inefficiencies in the downtown loop since there is no pocket track for CRE operations, which also affects user convenience and impacts the downtown traffic signal network."

Sounds like to me that they have settled on Alternative 3A or 3B, both of which will have to be studied again to determine which they are going with. Basically adds a station at the front of the convention center and some extra siding track at 14th and stout to allow more trains through downtown. Those two options aren't all that different from each other, so one would hope that they could be decided on fairly quickly. There is no funding at this time either, so maybe it doesn't really matter if they decide that quickly.

I also found it interesting that the wheel chair ramps are being converted to modular, so that they can be moved around or even eliminated easily in the future....because it looks like they are seriously considering low floor cars!
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Last edited by EngiNerd; Yesterday at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:40 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post

And this is why we keep parking requirements. It's an 8 minute drive, so long as we don't allow the planners to convince us that the days of the car are over and parking must be eliminated. Triple travel time isn't a worthwhile sacrifice.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
It's an 8 minute drive
Actually the way the lights are timed right now it is often more like an 11 to 14 minute drive. If I was commuting downtown from anywhere on this line or beyond I would give up 16 minutes each way if I didn't have to pay for parking.

That said, 10 Mph average speed does seem slow. What are average travel rates on a typical street car local line (which is what this line basically is)

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:09 PM
Bad at planning ( ͡° ͜

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzen View Post
Actually the way the lights are timed right now it is often more like an 11 to 14 minute drive. If I was commuting downtown from anywhere on this line or beyond I would give up 16 minutes each way if I didn't have to pay for parking.

That said, 10 Mph average speed does seem slow. What are average travel rates on a typical street car local line (which is what this line basically is)
All I have to add is that our streetcar parallels a very congested and busy road and the streetcar takes longer than the bus. 15 mph max speed. Some amount of miles I forgot in 12 minutes.a

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:54 PM
Urban Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Alt. #1 was rejected

"This option was also rejected by the project team (after consultation with stakeholders) because it would result in delays and operational inefficiencies in the downtown loop since there is no pocket track for CRE operations, which also affects user convenience and impacts the downtown traffic signal network."

Sounds like to me that they have settled on Alternative 3A or 3B, both of which will have to be studied again to determine which they are going with. Basically adds a station at the front of the convention center and some extra siding track at 14th and stout to allow more trains through downtown. Those two options aren't all that different from each other, so one would hope that they could be decided on fairly quickly. There is no funding at this time either, so maybe it doesn't really matter if they decide that quickly.

I also found it interesting that the wheel chair ramps are being converted to modular, so that they can be moved around or even eliminated easily in the future....because it looks like they are seriously considering low floor cars!

Duasin, Stimpson-Gagnon

Old Posted Today, 12:10 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interzen View Post

The streetcar isn't free either. You can get parking for not much more than a roundtrip local fare on RTD. Not everybody gets free transit from their employer.

I am not sure there is such thing as a "typical" line. Too many variables (dedicated ROW, signal priority, stop spacing, etc.).

Old Posted Today, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
The streetcar isn't free either. You can get parking for not much more than a roundtrip local fare on RTD.
True but a transit pass would be the obvious choice for a daily commuter and could be used more than just for the weekday commute.

I'm sure you are right and plenty will make the choice to drive to possibly save a couple minutes.

Old Posted Today, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Alt. #1 was rejected

Thanks for the interpretation as I also declined to study the study.

My understanding was that money for the original extension plan was a part of Fastracks. Whether that included presumed Federal participation I don't know.

Of course whether "Fast Starts" and "Tiger" program funding remains after the next Transportation Bill is anybody's guess. I have heard that these programs have been universally popular in both red and blue states so they might.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West