HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 8:20 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
i think "limiting kids' movement" is a phrase used by people who have never tried to limit kids' movement, never mind up to 30 or more kids.

i also think this focus on classrooms and corridors ignores the elephant outside the school and that's that approximately 50% of alberta's 750,000 students RIDE THE SCHOOL BUS every day to and from school. and not only don't they do that with only their cohort class students, in some cases they do that with students from other other schools and in some cases they even do that with students from other school boards.

and that doesn't take in to account those that take municipal transit or car pool.
I'm certain that there will be many parents that change their routine and drive their kids directly to school or grandparents/close friends. There is no back to school approach that will be foolproof. We also should acknowledge that every single jurisdiction has its fair share of 'critics' as it relates to a plan to get children back in school.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
I'm certain that there will be many parents that change their routine and drive their kids directly to school or grandparents/close friends. There is no back to school approach that will be foolproof. We also should acknowledge that every single jurisdiction has its fair share of 'critics' as it relates to a plan to get children back in school.
i get that any plan will have its share of critics but i'm not convinced this is a particularly robust plan for the province of alberta.

the jurisdictions that were mentioned as "models" all do things like limiting class size to 15; providing barriers between desks; enforcing masking as well as limiting distances; etc. as near as i can tell, those jurisdictions also have densities and social norms such that almost all students walk or bike to school.

if this was being proposed for adult workspaces and not for schools, it wouldn't get past the starting gate. and if it's being rationalized on the basis that kids don't get covid, they're wrong on that front. kids may not get as ill in the short term (no one knows the long-term effects) but it's becoming pretty clear that they do indeed get the virus and it appears that they are as likely to spread it as adults.

i certainly don't envy the choices a parent will have to make in the next month, particularly those that don't have great options to choose from, but if my kids weren't long out of school and my grand kids still a long time from school, they would be home schooled and not at school. these are not choices that a compassionate government would be forcing parents to make instead of offering better options or offering to pay for better options.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:57 PM

Sounds like the education minister and Dr. Deena H will be making an announcement this morning at 9am on schools opening...

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 11:50 PM
Community Guy

Four-out-of-five Edmontonians observed wearing face coverings over the long weekend
August 4, 2020

City of Edmonton enforcement officers patrolled 160 areas over the long weekend including transit, City recreation centres, places of worship and businesses (restaurants and malls) informing citizens of the new Face Coverings Bylaw. More than 80 per cent of people observed were wearing facial coverings. In addition to Peace Officers, staff at Community Recreation Centres and Edmonton Transit Service also observed more than 80 per cent compliance.

“We’re extremely pleased with how Edmontonians have embraced the new bylaw and are committed to helping keep their fellow citizens safe,” said David Aitken, Chair of the City of Edmonton’s COVID-19 Task Team. “Peace Officers and City staff will continue to help people understand the new bylaw and the importance of facial coverings in slowing the spread of COVID-19.”

Peace Officer statistics August 1 to 3:
2,617 citizens observed
2,098 citizens observed wearing masks
519 people observed not wearing masks
304 educational interactions with citizens
680 masks handed out by officers
185 vehicle-for-hire providers checked

At community and recreation facilities, 305 people were recorded as not wearing masks out of 5,665 attendees and 491 masks were provided to attendees. On transit, Inspectors witnessed high compliance with the majority of reports indicating 80 to 100 per cent compliance.

No fines were issued over the weekend. Peace Officers will continue to focus on supporting and helping Edmontonians understand and adopt these new requirements.

The bylaw came into effect on August 1, 2020 and will remain in place until the end of the year. For up-to-date information or to submit a complaint about non-compliance with face coverings or social distancing requirements, visit edmonton.ca/masks.

Everyone can help protect themselves and others from COVID-19 by practicing good hygiene, maintaining physical distancing and wearing a face covering in public. Learn more at alberta.ca/prevent-the-spread.

Media contact:
Chrystal Coleman
Communications Advisor
Communication and Engagement
780-782-2922

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:50 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
i get that any plan will have its share of critics but i'm not convinced this is a particularly robust plan for the province of alberta.

the jurisdictions that were mentioned as "models" all do things like limiting class size to 15; providing barriers between desks; enforcing masking as well as limiting distances; etc. as near as i can tell, those jurisdictions also have densities and social norms such that almost all students walk or bike to school.

if this was being proposed for adult workspaces and not for schools, it wouldn't get past the starting gate. and if it's being rationalized on the basis that kids don't get covid, they're wrong on that front. kids may not get as ill in the short term (no one knows the long-term effects) but it's becoming pretty clear that they do indeed get the virus and it appears that they are as likely to spread it as adults.

i certainly don't envy the choices a parent will have to make in the next month, particularly those that don't have great options to choose from, but if my kids weren't long out of school and my grand kids still a long time from school, they would be home schooled and not at school. these are not choices that a compassionate government would be forcing parents to make instead of offering better options or offering to pay for better options.
Well, our son will be attending school and I know of many parents that are doing the same. Some will choose to home school, which is their choice. My take is that we have to live amongst this virus and do what we 'reasonably' can to continue to live our lives in a safe manner.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:52 PM

I have the same outtake on all this, but feel so bad for the kids. Social and physical interaction is such an important part of childhood, all their fun is being restricted. And having to always wear a mask... these kids will be going through some unhealthy stress.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 12:55 AM

Any kid that has a hearing problem will have a hard time understanding what people behind the masks are talking about.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:26 PM

Chateau Lacombe is still closed.
I'm told they'll open next month.
They told me the same thing back in June.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 12:03 AM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:52 PM

I went to the Costco at the airport today. I was amazed and disgusted at the number of people NOT wearing a face covering. Lucky if there was 80% compliance.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
I went to the Costco at the airport today. I was amazed and disgusted at the number of people NOT wearing a face covering. Lucky if there was 80% compliance.
Compliance in what sense? Is mask wearing mandatory in Leduc County or is it mandatory in Costcos? In Edmonton itself I've seen 99+% compliance, but my recent trips have been limited to Costco, CT, Home Depot and Safeway. The only person I've seen without a mask has been a teen in a Co op gas station.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 12:12 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Compliance in what sense? Is mask wearing mandatory in Leduc County or is it mandatory in Costcos? In Edmonton itself I've seen 99+% compliance, but my recent trips have been limited to Costco, CT, Home Depot and Safeway. The only person I've seen without a mask has been a teen in a Co op gas station.
I don't believe there is a mask bylaw in Leduc County. There is in Edmonton, St. Albert and Strathcona County.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:46 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
I don't believe there is a mask bylaw in Leduc County. There is in Edmonton, St. Albert and Strathcona County.
I thought all Costcos in Canada and the US required you to wear a mask upon entry to the store?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 5:57 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I thought all Costcos in Canada and the US required you to wear a mask upon entry to the store?
I think you're right.They literally hand them out at the entrances, so there's really no excuse not to have one on

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 3:17 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Just google Costco Karen... She was the most famous meltdown of the pandemic yet... These people are lunatics who deserve everything coming to them...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Are you sure on Strathcona County? Sherwood Park Toyota dealership had maybe 1/3rd of staff wearing masks, and some of those only did it out of compulsion related to the few respectful customers (like us) who were wearing them. Really losing faith in people.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
Are you sure on Strathcona County? Sherwood Park Toyota dealership had maybe 1/3rd of staff wearing masks, and some of those only did it out of compulsion related to the few respectful customers (like us) who were wearing them. Really losing faith in people.
Strathcona County doesn't have one or it has 0% adherence. Went for lunch there, not one person was wearing them including the staff.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:14 PM

You can tell the people from the larger centres when you go to rural Alberta, We have a tendency to put masks on before we enter a building.

At a meeting in Silvan lake. Only the consultants had masks. When I stopped in Lloyd last week for gas. no one in the store had a mask and looked at us kinda funny. In Rocky mountain house the Sobie's. about 50% of the people had masks.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
You can tell the people from the larger centres when you go to rural Alberta, We have a tendency to put masks on before we enter a building.

At a meeting in Silvan lake. Only the consultants had masks. When I stopped in Lloyd last week for gas. no one in the store had a mask and looked at us kinda funny. In Rocky mountain house the Sobie's. about 50% of the people had masks.
I partially blame a concerted effort by an anti-vaxxer type group that has convinced the non-thinking population that masks are meant to protect the wearer instead of protect others from an asymptomatic/symptomatic COVID+ wearer. This makes them feel justified in not wearing them, since wearing a mask couldn't possibly protect the wearer.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 4:56 PM

Strathcona County only has one if active cases are over 'x' amount (I don't recall what it is). So day to day they do not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton