HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:04 PM

Terrible pizza...never understood the appeal. I might as well pour sand down my throat!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:08 PM

It's good if you like it...

edit: i find it annoying when people try to make their subjective opinions sound like objective fact. It's not "terrible pizza", you just don't like it.

Last edited by biggus diggus; Nov 14, 2019 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Terrible pizza...never understood the appeal. I might as well pour sand down my throat!
You're now on my ignore list.

I grew up on Barro's in the NW phoenix suburbs. Nothing will ever be better. Still eat it all the time. Man, when I lived in Coronado for 10 years central Phoenix was a Barro's desert. Can't tell you how many times I wished there was one nearby. Now it's coming. Barro's is the king of a typical pizza parlor and forever will be.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:39 PM

Barro's, Venezia, Stumpy's.... there are a lot of normal pizza places that are really good. Not every place has to be Bianco, Pomo, Base or the like.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:46 PM
Modulator

Since we're on pizza, not sure how many of you know of Boulder's on Broadway. I discovered this place about 2 months ago. It used to be an Old Chicago and they still have their old brick ovens. Oh man they have some good pizza! I recommend the Chuck Norris!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
You're now on my ignore list.

I grew up on Barro's in the NW phoenix suburbs. Nothing will ever be better. Still eat it all the time. Man, when I lived in Coronado for 10 years central Phoenix was a Barro's desert. Can't tell you how many times I wished there was one nearby. Now it's coming. Barro's is the king of a typical pizza parlor and forever will be.
I love you PHX31!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 8:09 PM
self-important urbanista

I don't think I've ever been to a Barro's restaurant. I think I may have tried the pizza once or twice when it was delivered for an office function. Looking at the map of locations, I see the chain has focused heavily on suburban sites. I guess after three decades in Phoenix, I'll finally give them a try once they've opened in Midtown.

Question: What's it like to dine on site? Is it full service or order at the counter?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 8:13 PM

It's like eating at NYPD

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 11:13 PM

Biltmore Fashion Park Updates

Some updated dining retail concepts going up...Sushi spot taking over the old Panera space

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...o-open-at.html

Also, took a stroll last weekend and noticed the old Stingray Sushi space is being converted to The Breakfast Club.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
I don't think I've ever been to a Barro's restaurant. I think I may have tried the pizza once or twice when it was delivered for an office function. Looking at the map of locations, I see the chain has focused heavily on suburban sites. I guess after three decades in Phoenix, I'll finally give them a try once they've opened in Midtown.

Question: What's it like to dine on site? Is it full service or order at the counter?
It's order at the counter and sit in the dining room. The lunch specials are awesome. You can get slice(s) plus drink or salad (never had the salad) for a decent price. I think 2 slices plus a drink is like $4. And they're nice sized slices. You don't have to order an entire pizza at lunch.

When do they open?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:23 PM

Dog Haus

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
Awesome! Looking forward to trying them out. Also, Snooze has their signage up at the Stewart. Didn't see an opening date yet.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:18 PM

Great news about Dog Haus, I was beginning to think it was never happening. It's as unhealthy as anything I can think of but I have to admit their food is really tasty and well prepared - for a hot dog that is.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 3:16 PM
Modulator

Snooze to open December 27th.

Quote:
Snooze Will Open a New Location in the Circles Records Building
LAUREN CUSIMANO | DECEMBER 10, 2019 | 6:00AM

Snooze an A.M. Eatery will be opening its sixth Arizona location, this time in downtown Phoenix in the building best known as the former home of Circles Records & Tapes. Located near Central Avenue and McKinley Street at 800 North Central Avenue, #3, the third Phoenix-proper location of the popular brunch chain with the Midcentury Modern theme is set to open on Friday, December 27.

For those unfamiliar with the structure, the building first opened in 1947 as a Studebaker dealership called Stewart Motor Company. As we reported in 2016, it housed the music shop Circles from 1972 to 2010. It’s been empty ever since.

So, for those who have noticed rumblings at the old Circles spot, here are some details. The new 4,000-square-foot Snooze will seat roughly 135 to 145 people, including the dining room, bar, mezzanine, and patio. And that patio, seating up to 18 diners, will of course be pet-friendly.
Source: https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...lding-11401198

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Snooze to open December 27th.

Source: https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...lding-11401198
No mention of the rotating sign on top of the circle part of the building. Can anyone confirm if that is still there or did they remove it? I thought that was supposed to be saved and restored.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 3:23 PM
Modulator

Quote:
No mention of the rotating sign on top of the circle part of the building. Can anyone confirm if that is still there or did they remove it? I thought that was supposed to be saved and restored.
It's still there and they have been working on it. I believe the intention is to still get it working.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
It's still there and they have been working on it. I believe the intention is to still get it working.
They affixed the Snooze logo onto the East and South sides of that sign yesterday. Stopped by yesterday and talked to a person doing the hiring. Soft opening December 21-23, and will open the 27th. Looks nice!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
They affixed the Snooze logo onto the East and South sides of that sign yesterday. Stopped by yesterday and talked to a person doing the hiring. Soft opening December 21-23, and will open the 27th. Looks nice!
So they're not going to attempt to get it rotating again? Sounds about right for Phoenix, cheaping out when it comes to really cool details.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:48 PM

While at the farmer's market Saturday I noticed the new signage at Snooze along with "now open" signs. They're clearly not open so it struck me as a bit funny.

Getting that sign operational may take more money than we are realizing. I don't think it's fair to criticize the decision (if they are in fact not fixing it) unless we know the whole scope.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
So they're not going to attempt to get it rotating again? Sounds about right for Phoenix, cheaping out when it comes to really cool details.
Ok Boomers, relax nobody cares about your defunct record store

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest