HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:27 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:02 PM

Great idea - might have saved the city millions to have tried this out on some of the cycle routes chosen but never used (97 Street south of 51 ave anyone?).

They should try 102 ave first, or 83rd. Should be a no brainer.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 1:56 PM
Community Guy

Can we remove the word 'test' from this for Christ's sake... they are proven, look at Calgary.

Editorial: Let's test drive separated bike lanes

EDMONTON JOURNAL

A new downtown bike lane proposal is headed to council’s urban planning committee Wednesday, one that would carve up 7.1 kilometres of roadway in the core in a way that would physically separate bikes from cars.

The phrase “bike lane” may cause some council members to twitch. Edmonton’s fraught attempts to embrace new cycling infrastructure has been well documented in the last few years. Bike lanes added to suburban roads with little consultation appeared, only to be scraped away later at some expense. And cyclists have come down hard on changes to the High Level Bridge (aimed at discouraging suicide) that narrowed the path and upped the potential for pedestrian-bicycle conflicts.

Given those hard lessons, it would be understandable if some councillors feel hesitant about championing a $7.5-million cycling track plan for the downtown as outlined in a report from the engineering firm Stantec. The proposal pitches separated bike lanes, known as FastTracks, along portions of 106, 103 and 99 Streets, as well as 102 and 100 Avenues. The concept gives bikes their own piece of pavement, separated from cars and trucks by flexible green poles or self-watering planters.

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/e...ted-bike-lanes

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 7:48 PM

Minimum Grid for Physically Separated Bike Lane Infrastructure being discussed now by Urban Planning Committee:

http://bit.ly/2d4LjfL

Councilontheweb - http://councilontheweb.edmonton.ca/ (River Valley Room Links)

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 9:25 PM

Passed unanimously by committee. Goes to City Council for approval on October 11/budget reallocation.

All goes according to plan, could see a network implemented by June/July 2017.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 9:27 PM
Community Guy

About time... we really have done a poor job at putting these in the appropriate places in central Edmonton.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 1:51 AM

With 100 Ave, I feel like they may have to use the boulevard space (between sidewalks and streets), which I have mixed feelings about. I would miss the trees, but the grass itself is rarely all that appealing.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 6:23 PM

^They're using existing infrastructure, not getting rid of trees. On most of 100 Avenue, 2 lanes will do the same capacity as 4 lanes. The avenue is significantly under capacity.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 6:39 PM
Community Guy

Don't fcuk with my trees.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 7:14 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
^They're using existing infrastructure, not getting rid of trees. On most of 100 Avenue, 2 lanes will do the same capacity as 4 lanes. The avenue is significantly under capacity.
2 lanes + a centre left-hand turning lane. It will be just fine.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 9:12 PM
Community Guy

David Staples: Top 10 reasons to build downtown bike lanes

DAVID STAPLES, EDMONTON JOURNAL

City council is gearing up to spent $7.5 million on 7.1 km of bike lanes in downtown Edmonton.

This new splurge is planned after already spending $11 million in 2013 on suburban bike lanes that are so detested by the vast majority of Edmontonians that they became a major issue in the last civic election, with some of the lanes subsequently getting scraped off city streets. The little used, unloved remnants deserve the same fate. Only a group of stubborn city councillors who refuse to admit they screwed up keep them from a good scraping.

So it’s a terrible idea to invest $7.5 million more, right? Wrong. In fact, $7.5 million for a new bike lane grid in our downtown is worthy of our support.

Here are the Top Ten reasons why these new bike lanes are a great idea:

The new bike lanes will be much safer because they will be physically segregated from traffic. The 2013 bike lanes didn’t work because they weren’t segregated, but were “sharrows,” sketchily demarked by an insubstantial painted line on busy roads. Cyclists quickly realized that drivers may or may not notice, understand or respect the painted lines, or even see them in winter. In the end, only a small percentage of hardcore cyclists, those few who were already comfortable riding in traffic, were keen to use the sharrows. The lack of use upset fiscal conservatives who hate government waste, not to mention cyclists who dearly wanted bike lanes that work.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...own-bike-lanes

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 1:30 PM
Community Guy

Excellent letter.

A couple of years ago my wife and I decided to take my two sons, then eight and ten, to the downtown library for an event. My kids had been riding the streets of Old Strathcona with us for years, and we considered them seasoned bike riders, as much as children can be.

In retrospect it was a bad idea. We crossed the High Level Bridge without a problem and rode comfortably up the Railtown path. As soon as we left the safety of the multi-use trail to head east on 102 Avenue, though, our trip became a scary, tense experience.

The road was wide, menacing and full of fast-moving cars. The kids took the sidewalk and we kept pace with them on the street, trying to avoid getting hit ourselves whilst coaching the kids on what to do at each intersection. We got dirty looks from pedestrians on the sidewalk (I can’t blame them) and honks from the cars on the road. We were so relieved to finally reach the library, and when it was time to go home we decided to just walk the bikes southeast to the nearest river valley trail.

The bottom line: when it comes to riding a bike, our downtown core is no place for any but the most experienced, bravest of bike riders. Only the one per cent of people who identify as “strong and fearless” are willing to enter the core on their bikes, leaving the rest of us on the outside looking in.

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...r-for-cyclists

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 6:27 PM
Community Guy

That's awesome!

Bike corrals won't be hibernating this winter

November 17, 2016

The City of Edmonton is turning on-street bike corrals in Old Strathcona into a year-round parking option. On-street bike corrals, which encourage cycling in high traffic areas, also help to create a friendly environment for cyclists.

“We hope that by now making these corrals available during all seasons, we help to encourage year-round cycling while supporting our Winter City initiatives,” said Darryl Mullen, Acting Director of Traffic Operations. “This is especially important because the need for effective places to park a bike still exists even when there is snow on the ground.”

Previously, the six corrals, located all around Old Strathcona, were seasonal. However, with cycling being popular among Edmontonians, the City worked with the Old Strathcona Business Association to keep five of the six permanent year-round. These five corrals are located at:

Whyte Avenue and 104 Street (Starbucks)
104 Street south of 83 Avenue (Next Act Pub)
105 Street north of Whyte Avenue (Chapters)
88 Avenue west of 109 Street (The Sugarbowl)
81 Avenue west of Gateway Boulevard (Situation Brewing)
“The cycling community is a big supporter of our area and businesses, and now cyclists can access dedicated bike parking on a more permanent basis,” says Murray Davison, Executive Director of the Old Strathcona Business Association. “With the 83 Avenue cycle track on the way, this type of continued investment in our business community by the City of Edmonton is greatly appreciated and warranted.”

Year-round bike infrastructure is an important step as the City provides more connectivity and options for cyclists. This will complement the construction of the 83 Avenue and 102 Avenue cycle tracks and the Downtown bike grid.

The corrals will be turned into windrow free zones to alleviate the impacts of plowing. Snow accumulation will be addressed on an as-needed basis.

For more information:

edmonton.ca/bikeparking
Media contacts:

Maya Filipovic
Communications Advisor
Parks and Roads Services
780-496-4684

Kristi Bland
Communications Advisor
Urban Transportation
780-495-9904

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:18 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton's downtown bike grid to include safety payoffs for pedestrians

ELISE STOLTE

Edmonton’s downtown bike grid will finally usher the area’s traffic signals into the 21st century, say officials giving a year-end update on the high-profile project.

That could pay off in ways completely unrelated to cycling.

For motorists, the new $4.5-million signalling system will be able to detect if there are vehicles waiting to use a long advance green, for example. If no vehicle is there, the system will cut off the advance phase and give the right-of-way to other traffic.

It can also handle more complex signal phases, giving buses or pedestrians a head start where appropriate.

That means bus drivers won’t have to turn left through crosswalks filled with pedestrians — a move that caused three fatal collisions since 2011. The bus drivers could get a separate light, or at least the pedestrians could get a few seconds head start to increase visibility and keep them from tracking in the buses’ large blind spot.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca..._lsa=709b-90d7

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:35 PM
HVAC guru

Welcome to 1995 Edmonton! Geesh

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:37 PM
Community Guy

That's the spirit.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:38 PM
HVAC guru

Hey cheerleading is your job. I deal in reality

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:46 PM
Community Guy

Not mutually exclusive.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:54 PM
HVAC guru

^ It certainly appears to be

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ It certainly appears to be
He's literally paid to be biased & spin things. Reality is a mutable concept to PR people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton