HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 3:12 PM

Cheap Downtown Eats

The AZ Republic has a selection of cheap lunchtime eats today. I would post it here, but you really should just go over and look at the pictures.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:08 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
The AZ Republic has a selection of cheap lunchtime eats today. I would post it here, but you really should just go over and look at the pictures.
Article is blocked for those of us that don't have a subscription.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:59 PM

Right click the link and open in incognito. They seem to be slowly figuring out how to block that but I've been reading their articles for a long time with that method.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Right click the link and open in incognito. They seem to be slowly figuring out how to block that but I've been reading their articles for a long time with that method.
Incognito is not working for me anymore...not even in Brave browser.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Incognito is not working anymore...not even in in Brave browser.
worked just fine for me...

ZOOKZ SANDWICHES: This local restaurant specializes in toasted, round sandwiches made by crisping bread and other ingredients in a special contraption. The result's not unlike a Hot Pocket. For breakfast, go for sandos stuffed with eggs, bacon and cheddar cheese. Lunch options include the No. 26 filled with ham, bacon, tomato, avocado, potatoes, cheddar cheese and picante sauce. Sandwiches come with your choice of side and cost just under $10 with tax. Online ordering is available. Details: 1 N. First St., Phoenix. 480-219-9729, zookzsandwiches.com.
THE REPUBLIC

<strong>YOGI'S GRILL:&nbsp;</strong>Teriyaki bowls loaded with vegetables, beef, chicken and more cost less than $8 before tax at this fast-casual spot. Sushi options also make the menu, including half rolls that cost under $5 for four pieces. The downtown Phoenix restaurant is located at CityScape.&nbsp;<strong>Details:&nbsp;</strong>1 E. Washington St. #175, Phoenix.&nbsp;602-252-9644,&nbsp;<a href="http://www.yogisgrill.com/" target="_blank">yogisgrill.com</a>.
Email
Twitter
Facebook
YOGI'S GRILL: Teriyaki bowls loaded with vegetables, beef, chicken and more cost less than $8 before tax at this fast-casual spot. Sushi options also make the menu, including half rolls that cost under $5 for four pieces. The downtown Phoenix restaurant is located at CityScape. Details: 1 E. Washington St. #175, Phoenix. 602-252-9644, yogisgrill.com.
COURTESY OF YOGIS GRILL

<strong>MATT'S BIG BREAKFAST: </strong>There was a time when The Five Spot sandwich at Matt's Big Breakfast actually cost $5. But these days the classic morning meal will cost you $6.50. The good news is it's as solid an option as ever: two slices of thick-cut bacon stacked with two eggs, American cheese and grilled onions. The fact that you'll be dining at a Phoenix institution is icing on the cake.&nbsp;<strong>Details:&nbsp;</strong>825 N. First St., Phoenix.&nbsp;602-254-1074,&nbsp;<a href="http://mattsbigbreakfast.com/" target="_blank">mattsbigbreakfast.com</a>.
Email
Twitter
Facebook
MATT'S BIG BREAKFAST: There was a time when The Five Spot sandwich at Matt's Big Breakfast actually cost $5. But these days the classic morning meal will cost you $6.50. The good news is it's as solid an option as ever: two slices of thick-cut bacon stacked with two eggs, American cheese and grilled onions. The fact that you'll be dining at a Phoenix institution is icing on the cake. Details: 825 N. First St., Phoenix. 602-254-1074, mattsbigbreakfast.com.
JOHN SAMORA/THE REPUBLIC

<strong>EL NORTE</strong><strong>&Ntilde;</strong><strong>O:&nbsp;</strong>Bring cash to this walk-up Mexican restaurant, where you'll order at the window and almost always take your food to go. Almost the entire menu comes in under $10. And it includes chimichangas, burros, gorditas, tostadas and more. Combination plates are available and come with cheese-covered beans and rice. Or you can opt for one of the daily specials available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant is closed on Sundays.&nbsp;<strong>Details:&nbsp;</strong>1002 N. Seventh Ave., Phoenix. 602-254-4629,&nbsp;<a href="http://elnortenoaz.com/">elnortenoaz.com</a>.
Email
Twitter
Facebook
EL NORTEÑO: Bring cash to this walk-up Mexican restaurant, where you'll order at the window and almost always take your food to go. Almost the entire menu comes in under $10. And it includes chimichangas, burros, gorditas, tostadas and more. Combination plates are available and come with cheese-covered beans and rice. Or you can opt for one of the daily specials available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The restaurant is closed on Sundays. Details: 1002 N. Seventh Ave., Phoenix. 602-254-4629, elnortenoaz.com.
DOMINIC ARMATO/THE REPUBLIC
<strong>CHEBA HUT:&nbsp;</strong>The toasted subs at this chain of stoner-themed sandwich shops are reliably dank. Top shelf options include the 5-0 loaded with &quot;all the pig&quot; &mdash; ham, salami, prosciutto, pepperoni and bacon&nbsp;&mdash; and the Kali Mist, a California club sandwich with a housemade chipotle mayo. Medium subs, also known as&nbsp;&quot;pinners,&quot; will cost you&nbsp;$8-$9. Online ordering is available.&nbsp;<strong>Details:</strong>&nbsp;825 N. Seventh St. #101, Phoenix.&nbsp;602-281-6689, <a href="https://chebahut.com/" target="_blank">chebahut.com</a>.
Email
Twitter
Facebook

CHEBA HUT: The toasted subs at this chain of stoner-themed sandwich shops are reliably dank. Top shelf options include the 5-0 loaded with "all the pig" — ham, salami, prosciutto, pepperoni and bacon — and the Kali Mist, a California club sandwich with a housemade chipotle mayo. Medium subs, also known as "pinners," will cost you $8-$9. Online ordering is available. Details: 825 N. Seventh St. #101, Phoenix. 602-281-6689, chebahut.com.
THE REPUBLIC
<strong>AL-HANA:&nbsp;</strong>Though&nbsp;it's a little farther from campus, this counter service restaurant inside the Baiz Market is worth the drive, bike or Uber ride. The menu is full of options under $10. Choose from falafel, chicken kebab or beef schwarma pita sandwiches all of which cost less than $5 before tax. If you've got the time, wander the aisles, which are loaded with hard-to-find ingredients and kitchen wares.&nbsp;<strong>Details:&nbsp;</strong>523 N. 20th St, Phoenix. 602-252-8996,&nbsp;<a href="https://baizmarket.com/restaurant">baizmarket.com/restaurant</a>.
Email
Twitter
Facebook

AL-HANA: Though it's a little farther from campus, this counter service restaurant inside the Baiz Market is worth the drive, bike or Uber ride. The menu is full of options under $10. Choose from falafel, chicken kebab or beef schwarma pita sandwiches all of which cost less than $5 before tax. If you've got the time, wander the aisles, which are loaded with hard-to-find ingredients and kitchen wares. Details: 523 N. 20th St, Phoenix. 602-252-8996, baizmarket.com/restaurant.

<strong>DETROIT CONEY GRILL:&nbsp;</strong>Most of the menu at this Motor City-inspired restaurant is under $10 including Detroit Coney dogs, cheeseburgers, chili cheese fries and onion rings. You can even wash it down with a bottle of Faygo Pop. The restaurant is open Monday through Friday for lunch only. Online ordering and delivery are&nbsp;available.&nbsp;<strong>Details:&nbsp;</strong>16 W. Adams St., Phoenix.&nbsp;602-253-0292,&nbsp;<a href="https://detroitconeygrill.com/">detroitconeygrill.com</a>.
Email
Twitter
Facebook

DETROIT CONEY GRILL: Most of the menu at this Motor City-inspired restaurant is under $10 including Detroit Coney dogs, cheeseburgers, chili cheese fries and onion rings. You can even wash it down with a bottle of Faygo Pop. The restaurant is open Monday through Friday for lunch only. Online ordering and delivery are available. Details: 16 W. Adams St., Phoenix. 602-253-0292, detroitconeygrill.com.
<strong>ASADERO NORTE DE SONORA:&nbsp;</strong>New to town and looking for Sonoran-style Mexican fare? You'll find it at this easy-to-miss restaurant on 16th Street. The spot's specialties include grilled chicken.&nbsp;Solo diners can order a quarter or a half chicken with tortillas, salsa, beans and vegetables for less than $10. The paradilla, a heaping platter of meats, tortillas and vegetables is a great dinner for sharing with&nbsp;friends.&nbsp;<strong>Details: </strong>122 N. 16th St., Phoenix.&nbsp;602-253-4010, <a href="https://asaderonortesonora.weebly.com/menu.html">asaderonortesonora.weebly.com/menu.html</a>.
Email
Twitter
Facebook

ASADERO NORTE DE SONORA: New to town and looking for Sonoran-style Mexican fare? You'll find it at this easy-to-miss restaurant on 16th Street. The spot's specialties include grilled chicken. Solo diners can order a quarter or a half chicken with tortillas, salsa, beans and vegetables for less than $10. The paradilla, a heaping platter of meats, tortillas and vegetables is a great dinner for sharing with friends. Details: 122 N. 16th St., Phoenix. 602-253-4010, asaderonortesonora.weebly.com/menu.html.
COURTESY TRACY ABRUZERE
<strong>GRAND AVENUE PIZZA COMPANY:&nbsp;</strong>Slay your late-night pizza cravings at this Grand Avenue restaurant. The menu includes both whole pies and slices, which start at just $2.50. Salads serve 1-2 diners and start at $5 for a simple spring mix. Delivery is available within three miles of the restaurant, though the $15 minimum means you'll want to split the bill with a friend.&nbsp;<strong>Details:&nbsp;</strong>1031 Grand Ave., Phoenix.&nbsp;602-253-6107,&nbsp;<a href="https://www.grandavenuepizzacompany.com">grandavenuepizzacompany.com</a>.
Email
Twitter
Facebook

GRAND AVENUE PIZZA COMPANY: Slay your late-night pizza cravings at this Grand Avenue restaurant. The menu includes both whole pies and slices, which start at just $2.50. Salads serve 1-2 diners and start at $5 for a simple spring mix. Delivery is available within three miles of the restaurant, though the $15 minimum means you'll want to split the bill with a friend. Details: 1031 Grand Ave., Phoenix. 602-253-6107, grandavenuepizzacompany.com.
GRAND AVENUE PIZZA COMPANY
<strong>CAROLINA'S:&nbsp;</strong>Eating at Carolina's is a metro Phoenix rite of passage, and there's no better place to experience the restaurant's famous tortillas than the original location, just south of the downtown Phoenix core. You can't go wrong with most things on the extensive menu of Mexican food classics, but a machaca plate or burrito never fails. No matter what, a half dozen flour tortillas to go &mdash; which cost&nbsp;less than a few hours of parking downtown&nbsp;&mdash;&nbsp;is worth the extra spend.&nbsp;<strong>Details:</strong>&nbsp;1202 E. Mohave St., Phoenix. 602-252-1503,&nbsp;<a href="http://www.carolinasmex.com/">carolinasmex.com</a>.
Email
Twitter
Facebook

CAROLINA'S: Eating at Carolina's is a metro Phoenix rite of passage, and there's no better place to experience the restaurant's famous tortillas than the original location, just south of the downtown Phoenix core. You can't go wrong with most things on the extensive menu of Mexican food classics, but a machaca plate or burrito never fails. No matter what, a half dozen flour tortillas to go — which cost less than a few hours of parking downtown — is worth the extra spend. Details: 1202 E. Mohave St., Phoenix. 602-252-1503, carolinasmex.com.
JOHN SAMORA/THE REPUBLIC

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:29 PM
Modulator

I figured out the problem. Looks like my work added a proxy to our network. Bypassed it and can view incognito again!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I figured out the problem. Looks like my work added a proxy to our network. Bypassed it and can view incognito again!
Careful as the InfoSec guys can see that you have bypassed the proxy. Full disclosure: I'm an InfoSec guy lol

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 5:44 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Careful as the InfoSec guys can see that you have bypassed the proxy. Full disclosure: I'm an InfoSec guy lol
Eh...they're all part of my team. I already told them I did it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:43 PM

What's everyone's favorite coffee shop in Phoenix? We visited the new Press on 32nd and Shea over the weekend, really a beautiful shop.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
What's everyone's favorite coffee shop in Phoenix? We visited the new Press on 32nd and Shea over the weekend, really a beautiful shop.
I don't go to a wide range in Phoenix, but the Serafina in the Luhrs building mentioned...somewhere, can't remember if this thread, makes a really good cup and is my go-to downtown.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:47 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
My favorite is Fair Trade Cafe at First Ave and Roosevelt.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:50 PM

Love Lola Coffee

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
My favorite is Fair Trade Cafe at First Ave and Roosevelt.
Can you tell me why you like it? It's in walking distance yet I've never felt inclined to go in there and never hear anyone say anything about it - good or bad - so I'm genuinely curious.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
My Kureg

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I don't go to a wide range in Phoenix, but the Serafina in the Luhrs building mentioned...somewhere, can't remember if this thread, makes a really good cup and is my go-to downtown.
I have only been here once, but it is probably my favorite. I go to Cartel because of proximity to folks I need to meet, but I chafe at the hipster vibe. Press has less of this, but I don't like their coffee as much.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 5:32 PM

Lola Coffee is my go-to coffee place. Songbird is also nice when the weather is a bit more agreeable to sit in the front yard and people watch.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:35 PM

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...7Vhsd4oPUVCA3Y

Later this year, a 2-story Southeast Asian cocktail is opening in Melrose on the SE corner of 7th Ave and Camelback.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 10:55 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Can you tell me why you like it? It's in walking distance yet I've never felt inclined to go in there and never hear anyone say anything about it - good or bad - so I'm genuinely curious.
Good coffee, friendly people, comfortable seating. The owner has been helpful to political campaigns that I have been on the fringes of. The likelihood of people having business meetings or talking loudly on their cellphones is a bit lower than at some places. I used to go to Lola's but I don't think I belong there. Too cool for school.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:39 PM

Since all y'all are CheesecakeFox restaurant fans, the Arizona Republic just made your day better. You will be able to live in one of those restaurants in the near future:

Quote:
Next up for restaurateur Sam Fox: A Phoenix hotel?

Weldon B. Johnson, Arizona Republic Published 4:13 p.m. MT Aug. 23, 2019

Prolific Phoenix restaurateur Sam Fox appears to be getting into the hotel business.

The Phoenix Business Journal reports that Fox is listed as the developer of the hotel portion of a mixed-use development planned for 44th Street and Camelback Road in Phoenix.

The hotel will have 85 rooms and 20 condos, according to the Business Journal. It's across the street from the Fox Restaurant Concepts headquarters. The property, which will be called 44|Camelback, also will include office space, retail space and restaurants, the Business Journal reported.

The Republic has reached out to Fox’s organization for more information on this developing story.

Fox sold Fox Restaurant Concepts, his string of popular Valley restaurants, to The Cheesecake Factory for $308 million last month. Fox's company has 23 restaurants throughout metro Phoenix, including Olive & Ivy, Dough Bird and The Henry.

Fox Restaurant Concepts is expected to operate as a subsidiary of Cheesecake Factory and Fox will lead the company from its Phoenix headquarters, according to a press release announcing the sale.

Reach the reporter at weldon.johnson@arizonarepublic.com. Or follow him on Twitter at @weldonjohnson.

Last edited by DesertRay; Aug 24, 2019 at 3:01 AM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:53 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Press Coffee. The shop I frequent most often is their location on Apache in Tempe.

edit: My second favorite is Mr. Coffee at home. It's a great place, too!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest