HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 12:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by genop View Post
damn nyguy that ( ) has to be the greatest post in the history of this forum. i got to say some of those pics of them taking out the seats are starting to sting a bit. im not looking foward to the inevitable.
Yeah, it's bittersweet. But the sting is taken away a little as the Yankees are starting to show a little magic at the new Yankee Stadium.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:09 PM

http://www.demolitionofyankeestadium...-seat-removal/

they must have gotten that rubber tire loader in there today. i can't recall seeing it in previous pics. also if you click the link they have a short video on the seat removal.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:07 AM
New Yorker for life

I hope these photos come out in a book someday. One of my Yankee Stadium books has a few photos of the rebuilding back in the 70's. I'll get some scans and post them here.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 3:26 AM

I'm glad the Yankees have shown a lot of class and respect for the Stadium by taking it apart in such a clean and deliberate manner, unlike what the Mets did over at Shea.

The Stadium deserves that much.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 4:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I'm glad the Yankees have shown a lot of class and respect for the Stadium by taking it apart in such a clean and deliberate manner, unlike what the Mets did over at Shea. The Stadium deserves that much.
Agreed.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 4:24 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...tion_lags.html

Group's study blasts city for park construction lags

BY Bill Egbert
May 19th 2009

While the Yankees scoop teaspoonfuls of dirt from their old stadium to sell for upwards of $80 each, the community that lost its parks to the new stadium are still waiting for a ballfield of their own.

With the demolition of the House that Ruth Built expected to take nearly a year and a half, it will be late 2010 before work can even begin on Heritage Field, the park to replace most of the ballfields swallowed up three years ago to make way for the $1.5 billion new Yankee Stadium.

None of the replacement parks have yet been completed, despite city promises most would be done by now.

A new report from NYC Park Advocates blasts the city as putting the interests of the wealthiest team in sports before the needs of one of the poorest neighborhoods in the country.

"This administration did everything possible to service the Yankees, including ignoring the law and treating the community's replacement parks as an afterthought," said Geoff Croft, head of NYC Park Advocates.

The Parks Department countered that the replacement parks are being built as quickly as laws and regulations allow.

Most of the replacement parkland is being built atop new parking garages still not completed.

New Macombs Dam Park, being built on a garage still under construction, was supposed to be finished before Opening Day, according to the stadium project's Final Environmental Impact Study. It now will not be completed until next year.

Even parks that didn't have to wait for garages to be built or a stadium to be torn down are years behind schedule.

In May 2008, Community Board 4 was told construction would begin that June on two small replacement parks across River Ave. from the old stadium, and would be complete by this spring.

But in February, the Parks Department revealed it had found a large fuel tank under one of the park sites - a former gas station. The removal will delay the start of work until the fall.

Croft blames the flawed impact study and cites testimony by Assistant Commissioner Liam Kavanagh at a City Council hearing last June: "The project was not funded or approved, and we didn't have resources to do that kind of in-depth investigation analysis testing that one would do for a fully funded project."Parks responded that the testimony was "referring to Yankee park projects, not specifically to River Ave. parks."

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I'm glad the Yankees have shown a lot of class and respect for the Stadium by taking it apart in such a clean and deliberate manner, unlike what the Mets did over at Shea.

The Stadium deserves that much.
yeah really. im glad they took out the grass instead of trampling all over as they did at shea. oh by the way if anybody wants dirt i got a deal for you......i'll sell dirt from my house for 75 instead of 80. please make out your checks to geno..thanks

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:01 PM

Last edited by genop; May 29, 2009 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:16 PM

by Steve Politi/The Star-Ledger
Saturday May 23, 2009, 6:37 PM

NEW YORK -- She still looms across the street from her replacement like a reassuring old friend. But not for long.

The blue plywood construction walls are going up, and once they are in place, the original Yankee Stadium will begin to come down. The process will take months, and few of the fans streaming into the new ballpark realize what will remain of the old one when the demolition teams are done.

Nothing.

Not one foul pole. Not one bleacher seat. Yankee Stadium is about to become a ghost under the current plan, but before it does, several concerned fans are fighting to preserve something.

They want to save Gate 2, the most complete piece of the pre-renovated stadium that still exists, and turn it into an entrance to the parks and ballfields that will soon occupy the land.

Gate 2 would become a monument to the old ballpark, a spot where sentimental Yankee fans can take their grandchildren and tell them about seeing Reggie Jackson hit three home runs in a World Series game or Mickey Mantle run down a fly ball in center field.

It is a plan that makes too much sense to fail, because if it does, the city will lose one of its most famous landmarks. If it does, we'll only be left with photos, videos and memories.

"There is a perception out there that a lot of the old stadium is going to be saved," said Mark Costello, a Long Island resident who is spearheading the effort. "Well, that's not the plan anymore.

"Maybe it's too late. But maybe it's not."

No city has a greater baseball history than New York. And no city has done less to preserve it.

Ebbets Field was razed in 1960, with only a plaque marking where the Dodgers' old home once stood. The Polo Grounds came down four years later, and again, just a plaque remains. Even poor old Shea Stadium, with all its flaws, was gone without a trace in a few months.

Yankee Stadium is on deck.

If replacing the original ballpark was a mistake -- and plenty of fans still believe it was -- then completely demolishing it is the final injustice. It seems unthinkable that the city would tear down one of its landmarks without leaving behind some sign of its existence.

But that is the current plan. The city was originally going to preserve most of the original stadium, with plans for a hotel, convention center, a high school for sports medicine and sports management, a museum and other offices in and around the historic ballpark.

Those lofty plans were quickly abandoned, but the city was supposed to leave part of the stadium seating area and the original field in place at the new 10-acre Heritage Field, along with two new baseball and softball fields that would be constructed on top of a parking garage.

The idea of leaving something behind made it easier for diehard fans to accept the new park. But that plan has been reconfigured this spring to answer valid community complaints about the configuration of the park, and the result is this: There will be no real evidence that Yankee Stadium ever existed.

"What is the draw for the tourists to come here when there's no game? Zero," John Trush said. "If there's something here, somebody from St. Louis might come up here to show their grandson. Why not?"

Trush was standing in front of Gate 2 last week, pointing to the Yankees emblem etched in the concrete. The gate is in need of serious restoration -- gone, for example, are the distinctive terra cotta medallions of eagles, as are the two flag poles that once rose from the top. But, unlike the modern copy with the steakhouses and the $1,250 seats across the street, this is the real deal.

Trush is a Washington, N.J., resident. He tried to organize a movement to save the stadium four years ago, starting a website, yankeesstayhome.com, and reaching out to politicians. He could not get enough support.

He has now joined the group trying to save Gate 2 but worries the effort might also be too late. He pointed to the metal poles that have been drilled into the concrete, now covered with yellow caution tape, but which will soon be supports for the construction walls.

This is the first priority.

"We need to keep it from getting torn down," Costello said, and nobody can be sure how much time they have before that happens, or who exactly in the city is willing to help them.

They have reached out to Frank McCue, the stadia project manager for the city's Parks and Recreation department, with their proposal. McCue did not return a phone call seeking comment this week, but his office issued a statement that said the current design for Heritage Field did not include Gate 2 but would incorporate "existing elements into the park design to commemorate the old Yankee Stadium."

"The plan includes orienting the southern ballfield in the same alignment as the old Yankee Stadium ballfield, creating a tree-lined walking trail that outlines the perimeter of the old Yankee Stadium, and incorporating historical plaques and markers," the statement reads.

In other words, another ballpark will be torn to the ground, another stinkin' plaque will be put in its place.

The idea was born on an internet message board. The discussion topic was the demolition of Yankee Stadium.

When Richard Lillard, a 24-year-old college student at Arizona State, saw the photos of the famous ballpark with a giant hole in the wall for construction vehicles, he was stunned into action.

He started sharing ideas with Matt Visco, a 49-year-old computer software designer from Hamilton Township, and Costello, who is 56 and a safety consultant in Amityville, N.Y. They kept coming back to the same concept: The new Heritage Field would need an entranceway.

And it was already there.

"We all shared a desire to make sure something meaningful and tangible from the stadium was preserved," Visco said. "People can see the gate. They can take pictures of it. It's real."

Gate 2 sits directly across 161st Street from the new stadium, so fans would see it when they attended games. Plus, it could be preserved without losing any of the space earmarked for the much-needed parks.

They created an artist's rendering of what the renovated gate might look like, launched the website savetheyankeegate2.com and started attending community meetings.

They have been at it for just over a month now, doing their best to make inroads with local politicians and city officials. They have reached out to the Yankees and have gotten no response.

The group cannot answer the biggest questions: How much will it cost and who will pay for it? But the list of people who should help pay for it is long.

How about Brandon Steiner? He is the one who, for $80 for five square inches of freeze-dried turf and $1,499.99 for a pair of seats, is selling off every last piece of the old stadium.

Or the team? Yankees COO Lonn Trost did not return a phone call last week, but this franchise would not have become a billion-dollar business without calling that stadium home.

Or Derek Jeter? He became a star there. Or Rudy Giuliani? He loved his front-row seats. Or Mayor Bloomberg? He should consider the value of another potential tourist destination in the Bronx.

Or the fans? If they are willing to pay $10 for a beer in the new place, they should be willing to help save part of the old one. Especially once they consider what they're about to lose.

"People really need to start thinking about this now," Lillard said, "or it's going to be too late."

"It's one of the most historical sports venues in the country," Tom Linn said, and he wasn't talking about Yankee Stadium. He was talking about Tiger Stadium, which will get a second lease on life if a group of activists in Detroit is successful.

Preserving part of an old ballpark is not unprecedented. They did it in Cleveland, where one of the walls to League Park was saved. They did it in Pittsburgh, where the original center field wall from Forbes Field was salvaged.

Now in Detroit, Linn and others are in the process of turning part of Tiger Stadium into an asset to the city, complete with restaurants, offices, museum exhibits and -- most importantly -- baseball fields.

The project will cost $27 million and is close to receiving final approval, which means construction could begin in the spring.

"You use every bit of political wiliness that you can muster," Linn said when asked how his group stopped the wrecking balls, "and try to get yourself as much support from politicians as possible."

If Detroit can save its ballpark, then New York can do the same for one small part of its stadium. The plan for restoring Gate 2 as an entrance to Heritage Field is less ambitious but no less important.

The old Yankee Stadium cannot disappear entirely. Those blue plywood construction walls are going up, and soon, an important part of our baseball history will go down.

Once it does, there is no bringing it back.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...e_old_yan.html

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
This needs a soundtrack.
One last time for the old stadium...

Video Link

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:50 PM

oh man that song just brought me back to my last game at the stadium (vs twins)when i sat in my seat for a while after the game just taking it in, knowing that it was my last time to hear that song in the old stadium.

by the way i noticed this in the pics got any idea whats up with the wires?

Last edited by genop; May 26, 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
by the way i noticed this in the pics got any idea whats up with the wires?
Hmmm, dunno. But it spells the end of the stadium, whatever its for.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 11:04 PM

nevermind i just saw one of the workers with a wire hooked up to his safety harness. pretty good idea with small steps up there.I can't wait to go and take my own pics when i go to see a game. hopefully bribe a construction worker for a piece of concrete or something. nyguy any plans for a ball game?

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 11:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
nyguy any plans for a ball game?
Certainly, though I have decided to take the stadium tour separately.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:33 AM

thats not a bad idea don't want to take the chance of running out of batteries on your camera i got tickets for the 21st vs the orioles.i can't wait.... well getting back on topic here are some new pics from chopper 880
http://www.wcbs880.com/pages/4476819.php

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
thats not a bad idea don't want to take the chance of running out of batteries on your camera i got tickets for the 21st vs the orioles.i can't wait.... well getting back on topic here are some new pics from chopper 880

There is a lot to take in at the new stadium, it can't all be taken in at one time. The seats are gone at the old stadium, but when the walls reallystart coming down is when it'll begin to sink in.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:57 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...e_old_yan.html

Fans desperate to save old Yankee Stadium's Gate 2 before demolition crew arrives

John Trush outside Gate 2 at the old Yankee Stadium.
Trush tried to spark a movement to save Yankee Stadium and failed.
Now, he is trying to save part of it -- specifically, Gate 2.

by Steve Politi/The Star-Ledger
May 23, 2009

The blue plywood construction walls are going up, and once they are in place, the original Yankee Stadium will begin to come down. The process will take months, and few of the fans streaming into the new ballpark realize what will remain of the old one when the demolition teams are done.

Nothing

Not one foul pole. Not one bleacher seat. Yankee Stadium is about to become a ghost under the current plan, but before it does, several concerned fans are fighting to preserve something.

They want to save Gate 2, the most complete piece of the pre-renovated stadium that still exists, and turn it into an entrance to the parks and ballfields that will soon occupy the land.

Gate 2 would become a monument to the old ballpark, a spot where sentimental Yankee fans can take their grandchildren and tell them about seeing Reggie Jackson hit three home runs in a World Series game or Mickey Mantle run down a fly ball in center field.

It is a plan that makes too much sense to fail, because if it does, the city will lose one of its most famous landmarks. If it does, we'll only be left with photos, videos and memories.

"There is a perception out there that a lot of the old stadium is going to be saved," said Mark Costello, a Long Island resident who is spearheading the effort. "Well, that's not the plan anymore.

"Maybe it's too late. But maybe it's not."

No city has a greater baseball history than New York. And no city has done less to preserve it.

Ebbets Field was razed in 1960, with only a plaque marking where the Dodgers' old home once stood. The Polo Grounds came down four years later, and again, just a plaque remains. Even poor old Shea Stadium, with all its flaws, was gone without a trace in a few months.

Yankee Stadium is on deck.

If replacing the original ballpark was a mistake -- and plenty of fans still believe it was -- then completely demolishing it is the final injustice. It seems unthinkable that the city would tear down one of its landmarks without leaving behind some sign of its existence.

But that is the current plan. The city was originally going to preserve most of the original stadium, with plans for a hotel, convention center, a high school for sports medicine and sports management, a museum and other offices in and around the historic ballpark.

Those lofty plans were quickly abandoned, but the city was supposed to leave part of the stadium seating area and the original field in place at the new 10-acre Heritage Field, along with two new baseball and softball fields that would be constructed on top of a parking garage.

The idea of leaving something behind made it easier for diehard fans to accept the new park. But that plan has been reconfigured this spring to answer valid community complaints
about the configuration of the park, and the result is this: There will be no real evidence that Yankee Stadium ever existed.

"What is the draw for the tourists to come here when there's no game? Zero," John Trush said. "If there's something here, somebody from St. Louis might come up here to show their grandson. Why not?"

Trush was standing in front of Gate 2 last week, pointing to the Yankees emblem etched in the concrete. The gate is in need of serious restoration -- gone, for example, are the distinctive terra cotta medallions of eagles, as are the two flag poles that once rose from the top. But, unlike the modern copy with the steakhouses and the $1,250 seats across the street, this is the real deal.

Trush is a Washington, N.J., resident. He tried to organize a movement to save the stadium four years ago, starting a website, yankeesstayhome.com, and reaching out to politicians. He could not get enough support.

He has now joined the group trying to save Gate 2 but worries the effort might also be too late. He pointed to the metal poles that have been drilled into the concrete, now covered with yellow caution tape, but which will soon be supports for the construction walls.

This is the first priority.

"We need to keep it from getting torn down," Costello said, and nobody can be sure how much time they have before that happens, or who exactly in the city is willing to help them.

They have reached out to Frank McCue, the stadia project manager for the city's Parks and Recreation department, with their proposal. McCue did not return a phone call seeking comment this week, but his office issued a statement that said the current design for Heritage Field did not include Gate 2 but would incorporate "existing elements into the park design to commemorate the old Yankee Stadium."

"The plan includes orienting the southern ballfield in the same alignment as the old Yankee Stadium ballfield, creating a tree-lined walking trail that outlines the perimeter of the old Yankee Stadium, and incorporating historical plaques and markers," the statement reads.

In other words, another ballpark will be torn to the ground, another stinkin' plaque will be put in its place.

The idea was born on an internet message board. The discussion topic was the demolition of Yankee Stadium.

When Richard Lillard, a 24-year-old college student at Arizona State, saw the photos of the famous ballpark with a giant hole in the wall for construction vehicles, he was stunned into action.

He started sharing ideas with Matt Visco, a 49-year-old computer software designer from Hamilton Township, and Costello, who is 56 and a safety consultant in Amityville, N.Y. They kept coming back to the same concept: The new Heritage Field would need an entranceway.

And it was already there.

"We all shared a desire to make sure something meaningful and tangible from the stadium was preserved," Visco said. "People can see the gate. They can take pictures of it. It's real."

Gate 2 sits directly across 161st Street from the new stadium, so fans would see it when they attended games. Plus, it could be preserved without losing any of the space earmarked for the much-needed parks.

They created an artist's rendering of what the renovated gate might look like, launched the website savetheyankeegate2.com and started attending community meetings.

They have been at it for just over a month now, doing their best to make inroads with local politicians and city officials. They have reached out to the Yankees and have gotten no response.

The group cannot answer the biggest questions: How much will it cost and who will pay for it? But the list of people who should help pay for it is long.

How about Brandon Steiner? He is the one who, for $80 for five square inches of freeze-dried turf and $1,499.99 for a pair of seats, is selling off every last piece of the old stadium.

Or the team? Yankees COO Lonn Trost did not return a phone call last week, but this franchise would not have become a billion-dollar business without calling that stadium home.

Or Derek Jeter? He became a star there. Or Rudy Giuliani? He loved his front-row seats. Or Mayor Bloomberg? He should consider the value of another potential tourist destination in the Bronx.

Or the fans? If they are willing to pay $10 for a beer in the new place, they should be willing to help save part of the old one. Especially once they consider what they're about to lose.

"People really need to start thinking about this now," Lillard said, "or it's going to be too late."

"It's one of the most historical sports venues in the country," Tom Linn said, and he wasn't talking about Yankee Stadium. He was talking about Tiger Stadium, which will get a second lease on life if a group of activists in Detroit is successful.

Preserving part of an old ballpark is not unprecedented. They did it in Cleveland, where one of the walls to League Park was saved. They did it in Pittsburgh, where the original center field wall from Forbes Field was salvaged.

Now in Detroit, Linn and others are in the process of turning part of Tiger Stadium into an asset to the city, complete with restaurants, offices, museum exhibits and -- most importantly -- baseball fields.

The project will cost $27 million and is close to receiving final approval, which means construction could begin in the spring.

"You use every bit of political wiliness that you can muster," Linn said when asked how his group stopped the wrecking balls, "and try to get yourself as much support from politicians as possible."

If Detroit can save its ballpark, then New York can do the same for one small part of its stadium. The plan for restoring Gate 2 as an entrance to Heritage Field is less ambitious but no less important.

The old Yankee Stadium cannot disappear entirely. Those blue plywood construction walls are going up, and soon, an important part of our baseball history will go down.

Once it does, there is no bringing it back.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 12:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 6:09 PM

Why not implode the whole thing if they don't end up saving anything? End the misery quickly.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 7:31 PM

^^^ They can't because of NYC law, and the law is also part of the reason why DB is still standing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive