HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In terms of my rooting and identity "circle" (quoting from Charles Taylor's book referenced earlier today) after the innermost one made up of family and friends, I'd say my primary one would be French-speaking Canada.

That's really my "nation" for all intents and purposes. It definitely spills out of Quebec and includes groups like Acadians and Franco-Ontarians.

I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone who's been reading me for a while on here.

As such I don't really get excited when Schitt's Creek wins at the Emmys or Alessia Cara or Drake wins Grammys.

In fairness I don't get that excited when Québécois win at the Oscars or Cannes either.

But it does titillate a wee bit more than James Cameron winning an Oscar for Avatar, I must admit.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:56 PM

^ It works the same way in English Canada, few around here notice if Denys Arcand or whoever wins a major award. I suspect this boils down to Francophone celebrities not receiving much mainstream news coverage in English, and vice versa?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 9:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It works the same way in English Canada, few around here notice if Denys Arcand or whoever wins a major award. I suspect this boils down to Francophone celebrities not receiving much mainstream news coverage in English, and vice versa?
Indeed.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In terms of Canada there is not much rooting from myself or from francophones in general on cultural matters, or even business matters generally.

Though one exception I've always noticed is how Québécois francophones get riled up for the Canadian team (regardless of province of origin or language group) during the Olympics.

That's probably the one time where Quebec really feels ultra-Canadian.

I have no idea why that is, but it's very noticeable.

I've seen Quebecers cheer and talk about medal wins by people like Ross Rebagliati and Simon Whitfield. Among many others.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Denys Arcand does almost all of his work in French, and as such, there is a huge barrier there in terms of the anglophone world being exposed to his genius.

Denis Villeneuve however has gone mainstream Hollywood and has built quite a reputation for himself for works like Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. Next up will be Dune, which I think will be the greatest science fiction screen adaptation of all time. I've watched the Dune trailer a number of times and he has nailed it. It's not often that a trailer can bring tears of joy to your eyes..........

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:01 PM

I grew up in Winnipeg but I live in Vancouver (for the last 10+ years).

My order of rooting by city (just based off of my SSP visits):

1. Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley
2. Kelowna
3. Victoria
4. ANYTHING B.C and Western Canada
5. Halifax and Atlantic Canada - SUCH bright diamonds in the rough
6. Ottawa and Toronto - they are tied for me; sorry!
7. Anything Quebec
8. The Northern Territories

For the record I am sincerely cheering for all Canadian cities, towns, and developments. For example, I love the Confederation line and their transit infrastructure/TOD's because it makes our nation's capital city better; or Halifax's recent development boom (IMO) and resurgence. And I also love the fun rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary because this kind of a rivalry ultimately builds up both of the cities beautifully. If there is a significant positive project going on in Canada, I am happy to see it come to fruition.

And of course, I have love for Quebec!

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In terms of Canada there is not much rooting from myself or from francophones in general on cultural matters, or even business matters generally.

Though one exception I've always noticed is how Québécois francophones get riled up for the Canadian team (regardless of province of origin or language group) during the Olympics.

That's probably the one time where Quebec really feels ultra-Canadian.

I have no idea why that is, but it's very noticeable.

I've seen Quebecers cheer and talk about medal wins by people like Ross Rebagliati and Simon Whitfield. Among many others.
EDIT: Quebecers also cheer for Canadian tennis players regardless of where they're from, like Andreescu and Shapovalov. No idea why that's an exception either.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

One thing I've been wondering about for years is if a Canadian team FINALLY made it to the Stanley Cup final, and it was the dreaded Toronto Maple Leafs, would I root for them or not?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 1:22 AM
The Vomit Bag.

At this point I think I would, if only for the fact that Mr. Bozo Yankeepants (Gary Fucking Bettman) has done his darnedest to marginalize the Canadian teams in the NHL.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 1:26 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
One thing I've been wondering about for years is if a Canadian team FINALLY made it to the Stanley Cup final, and it was the dreaded Toronto Maple Leafs, would I root for them or not?
My dad would kick my ass, but I definitely would. Might even buy a hat.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 1:38 AM

Quote:
You think MOC didn’t notice Arcand winning an Oscar? We must move in different circles.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 1:54 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
You think MOC didn’t notice Arcand winning an Oscar? We must move in different circles.
It's arguably an extremely exceptional case.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
I don't "root" for Gatineau except to want it to be the best it can be as my human and physical assets are all here. I am fully aware of its shortcomings and which ones can and should be overcome and which ones likely never will be.

I do defend the city and region sporadically as it is often dissed by Ottawans and also people in other regions of Quebec. (Though the latter has become less common in recent years.)

"Gatineau pride" isn't really a thing anyway, probably less so than most cities. The population here is very much comprised of people who came from other places and don't have deep roots here.

I used to think Ottawa when I lived there was very transient and had lots of people with loyalties elsewhere or who were just in transit, but it turns out it was nothing compared to Gatineau. Since I lived across the river Ottawa has also grown quite a bit and as such seems to have taken on a much stronger civic identity due to perhaps now having a larger mass of people with roots in the city.

I have to say I don't root for Ottawa much, even though I do like the city. Note I am not rooting for them to fail either.

With some exceptions among certain people I don't find there is that much of a cross-river identity or overarching sentiment that we're in something together on either side. It's not really a question of animosity - Ottawans in general are pretty nice to Gatinois and don't treat us as interlopers when we're over there. Even when we're using some of their services!

But in my opinion it doesn't go as far as a feeling that we're all one city, as is often alleged. YMMV depending on who you talk to of course. Though I think my view is the way most Ottawans and Gatinois see things. Ottawans typically don't really think about us much, and when it's pointed out we exist, it's like "oh yeah... you guys too!". Whereas many Gatinois tend to be fussier about their distinctiveness, and emphasize that we're a city in Quebec that's next to Ottawa.
Yeah as an Ottawan I'd agree - they may form one metropolitan area economically, but Ottawa and Gatineau are very much separate cities in every other sphere. Even economically they can be very different - Ottawa's biggest economic sector outside the government is high tech which Gatineau and Gatinois are barely involved in.

The "rootlessness" of Ottawa is an interesting point and something I notice a lot too. In terms of family history, my Ottawa roots are about as deep as they possibly can be. I'm a sixth generation Ottawan; my male line ancestors have been living in Ottawa since the mid-19th century. My great great grandfather is buried in the Notre-Dame Cemetery on Montreal Road.

I didn't even know this until a few years ago. I often don't find myself thinking much of Ottawa other than its the place I happen to live.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It was a while ago so my recollection is a little vague... I'm sure the Globe and the Post gave it generous amounts of coverage. But it wasn't even close to being a major water cooler talking point the way that, say, Schitt's Creek Emmy wins got noticed.

Incidentally, Les Invasions barbares sure was a great movie... I must have seen it 15 years ago, I think it's time to watch it again.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Thankfully, you're extremely unlikely to ever have that dilemma :p

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 2:55 AM

I have to admit I would have a hard time cheering for another Canadian team in the SCF because I want the Jets to be the ones who snap the drought

Some teams would be easier to cheer for than others, though. Canucks, OK. Flames, not so much.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Well, french Canada could turn down the volume but ROC would have to endure the with the Toronto megaphone for years on end. I pray that any other Canadian team, even the Habs win the cup before the Leafs.

edit to add - Oilers and Flames can wait as well! Go Jets Go!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Well, french Canada could turn down the volume but ROC would have to endure the with the Toronto megaphone for years on end. I pray that any other Canadian team, even the Habs win the cup before the Leafs.

edit to add - Oilers and Flames can wait as well! Go Jets Go!
The city I live in, Timmins, is about 40% francophone. But there are surprisingly quite a few francophones here who are Leafs fans.

I'd guess that about a quarter of francophones cheer for the Leafs while almost while most of the rest, maybe about 65% are Habs fans. There are some who cheer for the Senators and some American teams. For anglophones here, I'd guess it's about 50% for the Leafs, 25% for the Habs with the other 25% going to other teams. The Senators are often cheered for here as a second favourite team.

Among our Indigenous population it's hard to tell but there are definitely lots of Leafs and Habs fans among them and some supporting other teams.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 7:19 AM

Quote:
It was a while ago so my recollection is a little vague... I'm sure the Globe and the Post gave it generous amounts of coverage. But it wasn't even close to being a major water cooler talking point the way that, say, Schitt's Creek Emmy wins got noticed.

Incidentally, Les Invasions barbares sure was a great movie... I must have seen it 15 years ago, I think it's time to watch it again.
I really enjoy Denys Arcand movies. I've watched a couple of them at our local movie theatre when our city's film society brought them in. The others I've seen were on various french-language TV channels.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 9:24 AM

I often feel the BC Coast is kind of its own thing separate from Canada, particularly Victoria and Vancouver and will give the most of my boosterism/homerism efforts to that sphere. I have a soft spot for Calgary and want to see it do well in spite of setbacks so that it can eventually join the conversation as Canada's "Big 4" cities. Toronto I often am proud/boastful of as Canada's big "Alpha world city". Montreal I just can't say I care for, there are just enough boosters/supporters as is and plenty of people seem to think it's Canada's best city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada