HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 9:33 PM

I often go for walks in Ottawa’s Beechwood Cemetery and realized the other day that I seem to come across something interesting each time I’m there*. Any interest in a Great Canadian Cemeteries thread?

* E.g. the other day I came across the grave of Sir Cecil Spring Rice, who wrote the words of the British patriotic hymn “I Vow to Thee, My Country”. Turns out he was a UK ambassador to the USA who was recalled in 1918 and who died in Ottawa while visiting the the GG and his wife on his way back to London. Who knew?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I often go for walks in Ottawa’s Beechwood Cemetery and realized the other day that I seem to come across something interesting each time I’m there*. Any interest in a Great Canadian Cemeteries thread?

* E.g. the other day I came across the grave of Sir Cecil Spring Rice, who wrote the words of the British patriotic hymn “I Vow to Thee, My Country”. Turns out he was a UK ambassador to the USA who was recalled in 1918 and who died in Ottawa while visiting the the GG and his wife on his way back to London. Who knew?
I'm surprised I haven't started one myself.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Any interest in a Great Canadian Cemeteries ?
YES! Go!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 2:35 AM

One of the most culturally and historically significant churches in Canada is in Chatham-Kent. It's just a lowly wooded church in North Buxton about 10km south of Chatham.

It was called Canada's "Black Mecca" as ALL the once 800 inhabitants were ex-slaves. They crossed at Windsor but due to the threat of being kidnapped by slave-catchers and returned to the US they had to go further inward for safety. They very much prospered and every time an ex-slave arrived at Buxton the small church bell rang out.

As was common, the church was also the school. It became renowned for it's high standards and the wealthy white parents in Chatham would actually send their kids to this all black and black run school to get a better education. Today the church and the small community {which is still almost all black decendants from slavery} is the Buxton National Historic Site.

I can't imagine all the tales that church could tell.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 3:45 AM
ARTchitecture

Wow, that's a wonderful story, thanks for sharing!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 5:44 AM

Your very welcome.

Often when we look at our historical buildings we put our focus on the opulent and grande but frequently it's the small and inconspicuous that tell the greater tales.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
One of the most culturally and historically significant churches in Canada is in Chatham-Kent. It's just a lowly wooded church in North Buxton about 10km south of Chatham.

It was called Canada's "Black Mecca" as ALL the once 800 inhabitants were ex-slaves. They crossed at Windsor but due to the threat of being kidnapped by slave-catchers and returned to the US they had to go further inward for safety. They very much prospered and every time an ex-slave arrived at Buxton the small church bell rang out.

As was common, the church was also the school. It became renowned for it's high standards and the wealthy white parents in Chatham would actually send their kids to this all black and black run school to get a better education. Today the church and the small community {which is still almost all black decendants from slavery} is the Buxton National Historic Site.

I can't imagine all the tales that church could tell.
Thanks for the history. Canadian History is often focuses on politics and wars, but we often don't hear about these types of stories.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...tion-1.4831566

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
YES! Go!
Cimetière Notre-Dame-des-Neiges is worthy of its own thread. What a wonderful place to take a stroll. Beautiful, full of history, and yes, haunting. I lived rather close by, years ago, and I would frequently take walks through the place. Besides, like most native Montrealers, I have many family members interred there.

spacing.ca, tripadvisor

If you are into mafia stories, there are tons of Mafia family tombs at this cemetery.
Rizzuto family tomb:

goodfellas

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 2:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Impressive - chiselled out of pure bedrock. Where are the mafia guards???

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Impressive - chiselled out of pure bedrock. Where are the mafia guards???
Not in Canada but a very impressive cemetery with a great view.

https://goo.gl/maps/JsNgTWQqZL19yuTw7

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 8:28 PM

Heritage designation for Saskatchewan church built by black settlers who were escaping racist Jim Crow laws
Completed in 1912, Shiloh Baptist Church, near Maidstone, provided a place of worship for the homesteaders

Author of the article:The Canadian Press
Rob Drinkwater
Publishing date:Sep 16, 2018

“The first time I walked in there it’s almost like I got hit in the gut with a fist. And I’m not a spiritual or a religious person by any means,” says Leander Lane, whose great-grandfather Julius Caesar Lane was among the community’s original families.

The church and its cemetery had been awarded in September 2018 heritage property designation by the Saskatchewan’s Culture Ministry who say it is the only remaining building from the first African-American farming community in the province.

Lane said Oklahoma, where the families originated, had been a destination for slaves from the U.S. South who were freed after the Civil War. But that changed when Oklahoma was granted statehood in 1907 and elected a segregationist government.

Looking to move again, Leander Lane says he believes his great-grandfather, who was born a slave in Virginia, sold as a slave in Mississippi and freed at the age of 15. He owned a couple hundred acres of land in Missouri and was the father of 16 children. Julius Caesar Lane visited Saskatchewan in 1909 with another man and scouted locations. They applied for homesteads in the Maidstone area and, in the spring of 1910, a dozen families packed up and left Oklahoma.

The nearly 20 families formed what came to be known as the Shiloh community, and Shiloh Baptist Church was a central part of their lives. It was built in 1912 and now serves as a museum.

Inside, next to a picture of Lane’s ancestor, is a picture of Mattie Mayes. More than a hundred years ago, she fled the racism of Oklahoma and its Jim Crow laws and settled on a farm near Maidstone, Sask.

Mayes was born in Oklahoma in the 1860s as a slave. She fled the racism and bigotry that was still rampant in the United States after the American Civil War ended. She eventually came to Canada, and helped settle the Shiloh community.

Shiloh Baptist Church is hallowed ground for Crystal Mayes.
Her great-grandmother, Mattie Mayes, who became a midwife in the Maidstone area, was one of the original Shiloh People who moved to Saskatchewan in 1910. The families built a church of hand-cut poplar logs from the North Saskatchewan River’s banks and around it, a community. The church and its adjoining cemetery were named a Provincial Heritage Property in September 2018.

Mayes, a Saskatoon nurse, is a director with the Saskatchewan African Canadian Heritage Museum, which has been active in sharing the history of African Canadians to all Saskatchewan residents. Her siblings have also achieved much success: her brother was an NFL player, one sister was an internationally competitive bobsledder and another sister was the president of the Saskatchewan Veterinary Association.

“I think we have this mentality that we can do anything if you really set your mind to it. Of course it comes from our history,” she said. “That’s what my great-grandmother means to me … she (was) a strong woman.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4455143/s...e-designation/

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ge-designation

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 12:02 PM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^fabulous.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:38 PM

Gorgeous interior in that one above.

Drove by this one in Ayr, ON the other day. Not too shabby for small town of 4,000.

https://canada247.info/explore/ontar...ed_church.html

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 1:50 PM

I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like the top of that lesser steeple. What's the story there, I wonder?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:47 PM

Doing some work and had to do a streetview on a property and noticed this bulky and interesting church in Chatham, ON.

I said it before in the thread I started about what makes a small downtown charming, but I need to take a stroll down Chatham's main street. I've driven the 401 to Windsor and past into the US countless times, but have never veered off to see places like here or Pt. Pelee, etc.

Chatham has a nice, leafy and somewhat historic downtown from what I've seen in pics.

Steve Brown, First Presbyterian Church of Chatham, Ontario

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:49 PM

1893. Presbyterian barn meets firehall. Nice!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 6:46 PM
Look at me!

St-Joseph's Oratory. Canada's largest church. It's a really bizarre and unique building. It's got a classical look on the outside, and a very modern look on the inside.

Oratoire_St_Joseph_2020_04_01 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Cote-des-Neiges_2020_10_01 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Mary Queen of the World cathedral, downtown.

Downtown_Dome_2020_05_01 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Oct 6, 2020 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 11:40 PM

South of Montreal

St Hubert church, built in 1862, in Longueuil .

source:Wikipedia

Basilique Sainte-Anne-de-Varennes, built in 1887 ( Varennes) ( minor Basilica)

Source: Wikipedia

Eglise Sainte-Famille , built in 1802 ( Boucherville)

source: Wikipedia

Eglise Saint-Francois Xavier, built in 1788 ( Verchères)

source: https://www.musiqueorguequebec.ca/or...ercheres1.html

Eglise La-Nativité-de-la-sainte-vierge , built in 1841 ( LaPrairie)

source: https://patrimoineduquebec.com/

Last edited by PhilippeMtl; Oct 6, 2020 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 11:43 PM

I like the colour of the doors.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada