HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 4:51 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

^^^A link to the subject thread would be helpful in understanding from where you are coming.

Did do realize, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are slightly more employed people in the Austin-Round Rock metro than their are in the San Antonio-New Braunfels metro?!?

If the per capita rate in Austin is higher and they have more employed, then I'm having difficulty in seeing how SA's "Total Personal Income" is billions more.

Usually, the per capita metric is used for comparisons. That is what the BEA uses. I don't remember ever using "Total Personal Income" without determining its per capita for comparison reasons in any statistical measurement.

Are you trying to speak about each metro's overall GDP? If so, Austin's metro has us on that one too.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 25, 2020 at 5:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:27 AM

I love the banter above but to change the subject a bit...

I think the BBVA sign on top of the Weston looks just as out of place as the Manhattan W Hotel sign during the daylight.

Seems people would plan better.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:51 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
^^^A link to the subject thread would be helpful in understanding from where you are coming.

Did do realize, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, there are slightly more employed people in the Austin-Round Rock metro than their are in the San Antonio-New Braunfels metro?!?

If the per capita rate in Austin is higher and they have more employed, then I'm having difficulty in seeing how SA's "Total Personal Income" is billions more.

Usually, the per capita metric is used for comparisons. That is what the BEA uses. I don't remember ever using "Total Personal Income" without determining its per capita for comparison reasons in any statistical measurement.

Are you trying to speak about each metro's overall GDP? If so, Austin's metro has us on that one too.
The thread was posted in city discussions years back. I will see If can locate the thread. San Antonio had an almost $12 billion lead over Austin. I am sure Austin has gained on S.A. since then.

The Austin metro does have a higher GDP than San Antonio, but that is heavily related to having a higher cost of living. The median home price in Austin is 424k and San Antonio hoovering around $260K.

I dont think metro GDP gives an all that accurate description of a city's economic soundness when comparing other cities for this precise reason. The east and west coast cities have an advantage over the middle states with Austin being the definitive outlier in this part of the country.

Additionally, I feel San Antonio's GDP figures are on the conservative side. The Dept of Defense in San Antonio generates roughly $50 billion towards the U.S. economy annually. I strongly feel that this is not included in San Antonio's GDP figures.

Again, GDP figures give the size and scope of an economy but imo give an apples to oranges comparison. Nonetheless, I feel that these type of stats are just for bragging rights at least on this forum for those of us that have a hyper sense of civic pride, in which I display on here a tad bit from time-to-time.
U.S. Dept of Defense $48.5 billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Sep 27, 2020 at 6:40 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio