HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakster View Post
Whole Foods pulled out of Northland Village Mall - work on Edmonton store has ground to a halt & I would be very surprised if they open a stand alone operation up there given the distribution challenges. I guess they will either be looking for a new Calgary location PDQ or pulling out of Alberta altogether...

http://www.660news.com/2016/09/02/wh...lgary-on-hold/
Wholefoods is losing money. Not surprising they are pulling out.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 5:44 AM

Anyone know what they're doing at the old Market Mall Target?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Anyone know what they're doing at the old Market Mall Target?
Sporting Life will be opening a store there in the future (they are also opening their SouthCentre location this week).

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:26 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Gotta wonder what the purchase of Cabelas by Bass Pro means for the two north locations (Bass Pro at Crossiron and Cabelas at Deerfoot whatever they call the old mall now).

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 10:19 PM

I hadn't seen it mentioned here, but Sage has vacated their spot on 4th street with a notice that they're moving to 1500-something 8th street.

Hopefully it doesn't stay vacant for long.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Gotta wonder what the purchase of Cabelas by Bass Pro means for the two north locations (Bass Pro at Crossiron and Cabelas at Deerfoot whatever they call the old mall now).
I predict either Bass Pro keeps both shops or the second shop closes and is picked up by Wholesale Sports. WSS has been looking for a North Calgary operation for atleast 5 years.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:41 AM

anyone have any idea which grocer will replace the closing safeway on 52nd st? I assume it will be another grocery store... since Safeway seems to be shitting the bed now that sobeys took over.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 7:54 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I'm not sure I would assume any grocer will move in to that space. Co-op has a store a couple of blocks north and there are not a lot of other larger grocery retailers. I would not be surprised to see it split into several smaller stores.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 2:57 PM

Has there been any new information about the Northland Village mall redevelopment? Is it still proceeding? Is Whole Foods definitely out of the picture now?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Has there been any new information about the Northland Village mall redevelopment? Is it still proceeding? Is Whole Foods definitely out of the picture now?
I think whole foods is definitely out, based on this:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...plan-1.3791257

And according to the city's development map, there are about 5 DPs on the site so they are going through the approval process. developmentmap.calgary.ca

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 5:08 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Also Whole Foods is in a bit of turmoil

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-possible-sale

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 3:10 AM

Quote:
from what i read they plan to continue operating cabelas stores as is, sort of like how future shop and best buy operated separately.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 6:20 PM
No man's land

Lastest Change of Uses for Kensington:
- Lido, Applicant is seeking an amendment to the current land use designation to allow for a financial institution on the main floor; financial institution will be limited to a maximum size of 170m2 with a frontage of 7.5m.
- Lido, Addition of a specialty use of “wine merchant” Seeking flexibility on the bylaw requirement for 20% of gross floor area for commercial uses by allowing Administration to permit relaxations.
- Kensington, Applicant is seeking an amendment to the current land use designation to allow for a fitness centre (for instructional classes) on the main floor instead on the second floor as currently allowed in the bylaw.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 4:38 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
Lastest Change of Uses for Kensington:
- Lido, Applicant is seeking an amendment to the current land use designation to allow for a financial institution on the main floor; financial institution will be limited to a maximum size of 170m2 with a frontage of 7.5m.
- Lido, Addition of a specialty use of “wine merchant” Seeking flexibility on the bylaw requirement for 20% of gross floor area for commercial uses by allowing Administration to permit relaxations.
- Kensington, Applicant is seeking an amendment to the current land use designation to allow for a fitness centre (for instructional classes) on the main floor instead on the second floor as currently allowed in the bylaw.
A bank, a liquor store and a crossfit studio on ground level. I guess this is what gentrification looks like.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:49 PM
No man's land

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
A bank, a liquor store and a crossfit studio on ground level. I guess this is what gentrification looks like.
Thankfully the bank will only get 7.5m/43.2m of frontage.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 5:54 PM
Near Generational

I hope it's TD.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Correct, the addition of new retail bays into the street would typically result in chains or higher-end tenants who can afford relatively higher rents that come from a new build. I am generally okay with the new retail in Kensington, as technically there wasn't much economic displacement (Lido Cafe being a notable exception). Of course, the trend is likely to continue, I would expect to see lower-end places being bumped out as the neighbourhood increasingly becomes wealthier.

Related interesting information for the 2011 NHS (i.e. the sloppy, non-longform census so take with a grain of salt) applied to the neighbourhoods of Kensington:

Sunnyside has a fairly similar income distribution as the Calgary average, with slightly higher than average representation of the top and lowest income groups. Details here

Hillhurst has a significantly higher proportion of the highest income group, nearly twice as represented as the city average. It also has above average representation of the lowest income group. Details here

I have always found it remarkable that Calgary doesn't talk about gentrification publicly (or about changing neighbourhood affordability in general). This is front-and-centre of many urban debates in almost all other Canadian cities. My guess is that it has to do with just how wealthy we are as a city, with over 20% of our city being in the top 10% of incomes nationally. Perhaps while obviously highly unequal, Calgary's wealthy population is proportionally much larger so many gentrifying projects sail through with broader public support than somewhere with a more typical distribution of much more low-income households that get adversely affected

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I would assume any grocer will move in to that space. Co-op has a store a couple of blocks north and there are not a lot of other larger grocery retailers. I would not be surprised to see it split into several smaller stores.
sorry missed this. I'm not so sure about that. There is limited grocery stores around it and in decent profile location for anyone going out 16th avenue.

we know it won't be Sobey's or Co-op. However there are two more active players in the region currently so we shall see.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 4:06 AM

It looks like Whole Foods officially announced they are not proceeding with both Alberta locations. Although it was already known they backed out of the Northland development, nothing official came out until now. They are still proceeding with the Vancouver and Toronto ones under development

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nton-1.3927829

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:20 AM

So what's going on with the Highstreet development? The shopping area south of 16th, west of Stoney NW?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy